Wonder How Much I Can Sell Ipad 3 For Here?

hinhua

Hi all,

a friend of mine can bring me the new iPad from the UK end of this month, and I'm just wondering what the likelihood is of being able to sell it (for a profit) - new and unwrapped - I guess the chances are good as there's always someone willing to pay over the odds....

If anyone has any experience of doing this in the past or what the typical markup would be, let me know. Otherwise I'll just keep it and use myself rather than sell it on to some rich Thais (or farang) !! :-)

Which model/version? WiFi only/16 GB?

I think there are a lot of Thai traders bringing grey-market product into Thailand so you'll be competing with them. How will you find customers?

It looks like there will be a bit of a shortage, based on some component production issues, at least into May so if someone must have one they might be willing to pay a bit extra?

Potential downsides: how long can it remain unwrapped? (the first person to look at it will obviously want to test it, I presume?) what are the warranty repair/replacement issues? and what happens if they discover some issue with the screen on early units? (This wouldn't be the first time this has happened.)

If you want to make money buy AAPL. If you need a tablet buy an iPad2 or new iPad.

Edited by lomatopo

time is of the essence... prices will be crazy today (for example) but as more and more enter Thailand they'll level out and then drop off to normal levels as soon as it's shipping here.

Since there's now 2-3 weeks shipping in all countries selling it officially the time window is probably 1 month. I think prices will still be pretty high at the end of April. Demand is huge and world-wide, even distribution via grey channels is pretty much optimized at this point... and the profits possible push shipping dates further back more too...

My own experience with apple products has been nothing but headaches. Everyone wants but when it comes to actually paying is like getting blood from our stone!!! Have 9 4's and 5 4s's going back to aus monday!! However this not what everyone is like in no sense of the word hopefully u have more luck than me ha ha ;)

My own experience with apple products has been nothing but headaches. Everyone wants but when it comes to actually paying is like getting blood from our stone!!! Have 9 4's and 5 4s's going back to aus monday!! However this not what everyone is like in no sense of the word hopefully u have more luck than me ha ha

When I sold my MacBook on Craigslist I got at least 30 emails asking idiotic questions, but the first guy I met with bought it. He gave me a deposit to hold it for him before we met.

My own experience with apple products has been nothing but headaches. Everyone wants but when it comes to actually paying is like getting blood from our stone!!! Have 9 4's and 5 4s's going back to aus monday!! However this not what everyone is like in no sense of the word hopefully u have more luck than me ha ha

When I sold my MacBook on Craigslist I got at least 30 emails asking idiotic questions, but the first guy I met with bought it. He gave me a deposit to hold it for him before we met.

I'm just jinxed i think!! Had a meeting today with a gentleman wanting my business to build him a iPhone app with a budget of 30k BAHT!!! Thats 25 mins of my life ill never get back!!! Ha ha

Which model/version? WiFi only/16 GB?

I think there are a lot of Thai traders bringing grey-market product into Thailand so you'll be competing with them. How will you find customers?

It looks like there will be a bit of a shortage, based on some component production issues, at least into May so if someone must have one they might be willing to pay a bit extra?

Potential downsides: how long can it remain unwrapped? (the first person to look at it will obviously want to test it, I presume?) what are the warranty repair/replacement issues? and what happens if they discover some issue with the screen on early units? (This wouldn't be the first time this has happened.)

If you want to make money buy AAPL. If you need a tablet buy an iPad2 or new iPad.

16 GB WiFi only model.

Customers - put an ad on Thai visa for starters

Potential downsides: how long can it remain unwrapped? it will remain unwrapped until the person buys it. I'll be selling a new one - the buyer has to buy 'as is' meaning that if it doesn't work it's not my problem - unlikely to have any issues.

- I own Apple stock already

I didn't ask how much you sold your MacBook for, I asked if anyone knew the resale price of a brand new iPad 3 in Thailand

B & H notified me this morning they had them in stock. That means you could get one overnight anywhere in the U.S.

I saw today that Lotus was selling the iPad 2, is that something. new?

I've no idea, but my question has nothing to do with that iPad 2 - it's does anyone know the typical resale price for a brand new iPad 3. As far as I know, in Hua Hin there is currently NO-ONE selling them here. Maybe in Bangkok when they get Singapore ones over - but they have to cover shipping costs and profit. I'm getting mine shipped here for free, and willing to sell for a small profit - let's say 5,000 baht - for doing nothing!

My own experience with apple products has been nothing but headaches. Everyone wants but when it comes to actually paying is like getting blood from our stone!!! Have 9 4's and 5 4s's going back to aus monday!! However this not what everyone is like in no sense of the word hopefully u have more luck than me ha ha wink.png

My experience as a long-time Apple user has been nothing but pleasure.

I didn't ask how much you sold your MacBook for, I asked if anyone knew the resale price of a brand new iPad 3 in Thailand

I didn't tell you what I sold it for. But to answer your question, yes.

Did you have another question I can help you with?

i can give thailand retail price + 5000 baht extra if anyone willing to bring 4g model.

Think you might be a little low on the price in the current market u might get that in 3-4 weeks from now. You are looking at Retail price+9000 if you are lucky minimum. 4G probably +13000 this week.

There are some ads on craigslist thailand - 25,000 THB for the WiFi only/16 GB model.

There are a lot of ads on Thai forums with prices for the same model ranging from 17,900 up to 23,000. Not sure how real they are, or actual availability.

No reports yet from MBK.

I will have a spare 16gb wifi white on thursday afternoon. Ill take 30k if u want it pm me.

Will have a couple of spare 32gb white 4g on friday / thu evening 38k.

Not sure I want to sell them but i guess for those prices ok.....all unopened of course with apple store (US online) warranty.

Edited by negreanu

iPad 3 for 4G? Thailand doesn't even have a workable 3G system in place. Additionally, why waste money on an iPad 3 when Apple has a newer iPad-X in final development at this very moment?

iPad 3 for 4G? Thailand doesn't even have a workable 3G system in place. Additionally, why waste money on an iPad 3 when Apple has a newer iPad-X in final development at this very moment?

3G in Thailand is VERY workable now. iPad-X not gonna happen this year.

Of course the 4G iPad works on 3G and GSM networks as well as LTE.

Edited by negreanu

3G in Thailand is VERY workable now. iPad-X not gonna happen this year.

Of course the 4G iPad works on 3G and GSM networks as well as LTE.

Do you know if The New iPad as sold in other countries also have the 4G chip? Or is the hardware different?

Apple says 4G LTE only works in the USA and only on either AT&T or Verizon, but not both. But it's unclear if they're leaving out that radio in other markets or if LTE just isn't running anywhere else. The LTE standard seems to be a huge mess, so maybe it's not even possible at this point to make a universal LTE device...

Speed tests from the USA on LTE are amazing - 20Mbps real world throughput, and more. But then again, once the network is in heavy use this will go down considerably.

Edited by nikster

Do you know if The New iPad as sold in other countries also have the 4G chip? Or is the hardware different?

From what I understand the international 4G models are simply the AT&T models. De-branded. AT&T frequencies seem to be the most accepted for 4G. (Singapore / Japan)

God knows what AIS,DTAC and True will do with their frequency <deleted> up should we ever go down the LTE path in the distant future.

Yes they are awesome my colleague in SF says slowest speediest he has run on the new iPad using LTE is 13MB in early evening. So still awesome even at peak.

Edited by negreanu

There will be an iPad 10 before there is LTE here so no worries.

Either 4G version (AT&T or Verizon) will work here as they are quad-band 3G: 850/900/1900/2100. Personally I would opt for the AT&T version as the LTE bands are more universal and I would use it on trips back to the U.S. (AT&T is more pre-paid friendly.)

A potentially dumb question: can one make a traditional GSM, not a VoIP call, voice call with the new iPad? I suspect not, given the AT&T/Verizon - iPhone related 'issues', but think this would be a nice option for international 4G versions. Is this a feature that has perhaps been "hacked" on 3G iPad2's?

I saw a post on a Thai forum with a shop in MBK reporting:

18,900 for the 16 GB WiFi model

23,400 for the 16 GB WiFi/LTE model

There may be demo models at the COMMART show at the Queen Sirikit Center starting today through Sunday.

From what I understand the international 4G models are simply the AT&T models. De-branded. AT&T frequencies seem to be the most accepted for 4G. (Singapore / Japan)

God knows what AIS,DTAC and True will do with their frequency <deleted> up should we ever go down the LTE path in the distant future.

Yes they are awesome my colleague in SF says slowest speediest he has run on the new iPad using LTE is 13MB in early evening. So still awesome even at peak.

Thx for the info!

Not holding my breath on LTE speeds - let's see how that goes once everyone's switched over.

BTW in the latest outrage the Wall Street Journal has found out that the iPad 3 on LTE can burn through your data plan in mere hours when streaming video! Dumb and dumber... cheesy.gif

Edited by nikster

BTW in the latest outrage the Wall Street Journal has found out that the iPad 3 on LTE can burn through your data plan in mere hours when streaming video! Dumb and dumber..

Yeh it is so lucky for those that have grandfathered unlimited data on AT&T contracts which applies to LTE.

BTW in the latest outrage the Wall Street Journal has found out that the iPad 3 on LTE can burn through your data plan in mere hours when streaming video! Dumb and dumber..

Yeh it is so lucky for those that have grandfathered unlimited data on AT&T contracts which applies to LTE.

AT&T clarifies limits of 'unlimited' data plans

Most AT&T customers are aware of the fact that their data speeds get throttled — slowed down — once they've used a certain amount of data, but up until now the invisible lines drawn by the carrier seemed to be arbitrary at times.

Well, no more of that, says the carrier. From now on the rules for data-throttling — which will only affect those who subscribe to AT&T's "unlimited plans" — are clear:

Customers with a 3G or 4G smartphone – who also still have [AT&T's] unlimited data plan – will see speeds reduced if they use 3GB (gigabytes) of data or more in a billing cycle. Speeds will return to normal at the start of the next billing cycle.

For customers with a 4G LTE smartphone – who also still have our unlimited data plan – data speeds will be reduced if usage is 5GB (gigabytes) or more in a billing cycle. Speeds will return to normal at the start of the next billing cycle.

As the Associated Press notes, some AT&T subscribers have previously reported that "their data service had been throttled at just over 2 gigabytes of data use, lower than most people on AT&T's 'limited' plans."

While it is unlikely that any customers will cheer over the data throttling, especially on a plan labeled "unlimited," it's good that there are at least clearer guidelines now. What remains unchanged, of course, is the carrier's justification of reduced data speeds:

The reason reduced speeds only apply to unlimited smartphone customers is because their data usage is significantly higher than those on tiered plans. For example, in January, the top 5 percent of our unlimited data plan customers used an average of over 50 percent more data than the top 5 percent of customers on tiered plans.

Edited by lomatopo

I saw a post on a Thai forum with a shop in MBK reporting:

18,900 for the 16 GB WiFi model

23,400 for the 16 GB WiFi/LTE model

There may be demo models at the COMMART show at the Queen Sirikit Center starting today through Sunday.

May I get a link to that forum / post or Shop name in MBK? I think 23,400 is pretty fair price for 3g/4g model considering it will be sold for 19.900 baht official in next 2 months.