FLOOD SITUATION in South

george

Flash floods hit South, Pattani declared in State of Emergency

PATTANI: -- Heavy downpours and flash floods have critically damaged several southern provinces and brought large areas to a virtual standstill, including Pattani, where a state of emergency was declared.

Governor Panu Uthairat said heavy downpours which flooded low-lying areas caused the southern province to declare a state of emergency while evacuation plans were prepared for villagers living on river banks.

More floodwaters are feared to be coming from neighbouring Yala and Narathiwat, Mr. Panu said. Clothing, dry foods and other subsistence items will be handed out to flood victims.

However, roads linking the southernmost provinces remained in use, while damage due to flooding in all districts of Pattani is yet to be estimated.

In Hat Yai, floodwaters were more than one metre deep and in some areas rose to two metres. Schools were ordered closed Friday while an estimated 100 families living in outer parts of the southern city were reported in trouble due to heavy downpours and flash floods.

In Nakhon Sri Thammarat, flash floods damaged 19 districts, with hundreds of roads and bridges cut off and about 170,000 villagers affected.

Damage to Chalerm Prakiat, Prom Khiri, Pak Panang and Chian Yai districts, among others, was estimated at about Bt100 million (US$2.5 million).

--TNA 2005-12-09

Rains disrupt South; new storms coming

The Meteorological Department issued yet another warning of torrential rain in the South and rough seas in the Gulf of Thailand this afternoon, as a depression gathered force in the lower Gulf.

Small boats running tourist services to Koh Samui and other islands off Surat Thani were banned again from leaving shore, and even power production has been halted here in Surat Thani, to reduce the impact of flooding, the official Thai News Agency reported.

The weather centre said the continuing northeast monsoon which dominates southern Thailand and the Gulf is intensifying. Heavy rains and flash floods are expected in Nakhon Si Thammarat, Pattalung, Songhkla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Trang and Satun provinces.

Pleasure craft, speedboats, small tourist and fishing boats are not allowed to put to sea because of the incessant heavy rain and high waves, said port official Lopburi Yothasiri on Phangan, the tourist island in Surat Thani that is the site of the monthly full-moon festival popular with young foreign tourists.

Only larger ferries with a capacity of 200 passengers or more can run their normal services to Sumui, Phangan, and Tao islands.

Meanwhile, on the Surat Thani mainland, Ratchaprapa (Chiewlarn) dam manager Bundit Chindarat dismissed rumours that waters would be released into the Tapae river and pose a flood threat to low-lying areas along the river.

The dam is currently holding water at 80% of its full capacity, he said, but is capable of accomodating another one billion cubic metres.

Trading off the inconvenience of reduced electricity in exchange for reduced flooding, Mr. Bundit said, the dam's generators have been stopped and water is not being released for electricity production to avoid worsening floods in the province.

--Bangkok Post 2005-12-09

With fear of sounding selfish.... i'm getting quite worried about the weather now. I fly out to Samui on Christmas Day.... all the way from Scotland to meet my pals who are supposed to be getting married today on Samui.

I hope the weather eases soon!!

As i'm sure everyone in SE Asia does. :o

With fear of sounding selfish.... i'm getting quite worried about the weather now. I fly out to Samui on Christmas Day.... all the way from Scotland to meet my pals who are supposed to be getting married today on Samui.

Don't know if it is my memory playing tricks on me, but didn't the rainy season stop about 2 months ago last year in October? God knows what is going on this year, but most of the South of Thailand has been thoroughly damp and gloomy for months now.

JJ

I have a friend who lives near Krabi. He has been calling every day complaining about the rain and telling me that in the 8 years he has been down there he has NEVER seen anything like it. He told me it has rained every day for the past three weeks. He calls Loei where I live the high desert but now says maybe the high desert isn't so bad. LOL!

Don't know if it is my memory playing tricks on me, but didn't the rainy season stop about 2 months ago last year in October? God knows what is going on this year, but most of the South of Thailand has been thoroughly damp and gloomy for months now.

JJ

Yes, and we suffered a severe drought because of it. Rainy season starts in October, continues through November (typically the rainiest month of the year) and on into the middle of december. Last year was freak weather, unusually dry and the island suffered heavily because of it. This year is not so freaky, I've been here quite a long time and do remember weather like this. It isn't that unusual.

As i'm sure everyone in SE Asia does. :D

JJ

THe world is coming to an end , your girlfriends were right ! :o

Update:

Floods turn Pattani into ‘disaster zone’

PATTANI: -- Worried about days of unrelenting downpours and the threat of further floods, the governor of Pattani yesterday declared the province a disaster zone, while a six-year-old boy was reported to have drowned in the strong current of the Pattani River.

Hundreds of houses in the province’s 12 districts were reported to have been inundated, affecting 5,000 families.

Governor Panu Uthairat said he expected more floods later yesterday after the rainwater in most areas reached 100mm, and urged riverside residents to prepare for evacuation. He ordered officials to prepare relief bags for those affected.

Panu gave some money in assistance to the family of six-year-old Abdulkarim Ma-ma, who drowned in the Pattani River after he and other young children Abdulhasi Ma-ma and Sufia Jaeso, both three, slid into the strong current in heavy rains.

In neighbouring Songkhla, where low-lying areas in eight districts were already submerged, the water level in the city’s canals was rising steadily, prompting the irrigation authority to install several water pumps. Ten schools in the city were temporarily closed.

The main U-tapao canal filled up to within a metre of overflowing, forcing panicked villagers to escape to higher ground with their belongings.

The Ban Na Kwuan canal inundated houses along its banks, including the U-tapao-Ban Na Kwuan sluice construction site. Several heavy machines were damaged.

Residents in Muang Songkhla and Hat Yai reportedly started stockpiling food and water for fear of the worst floods since 2000.

Rangsan Ekkawattanaphan, head of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office Region 12, said 43 boats had been dispatched to submerged areas in Phatthalung, Trang, Songkhla, Yala and Pattani to assist villagers and take them food and other relief.

Phatthalung’s 10 districts suffered floods, but relief teams managed to move people, their belongings and some of their farm animals to higher ground.

Several roads were inundated with 30cm-deep water, and the Pa Phayom and Pa Bon reservoirs were holding water within their capacities, officials said.

In Yala, 132 villages were submerged, affecting 20,107 villagers, while 69 roads, 10 bridges, 31 schools, two mosques and 1,300 rai of farmland were damaged, a provincial relief agency reported.

--The Nation 2005-12-10

In Hat Yai, floodwaters were more than one metre deep and in some areas rose to two metres. Schools were ordered closed Friday while an estimated 100 families living in outer parts of the southern city were reported in trouble due to heavy downpours and flash floods.

I'm based in Hatyai and although there were such news, I haven't actually seen the one or two metre deep waters.

Yesterday, a couple of my friends were returning by road to Malaysia and while it normally takes an hour to reach the border from Hatyai, it took them more than 3 hours as part of the roads were flooded and they had to be diverted.

It stopped raining in Hatyai since yesterday early afternoon but waters from other partys of Songkhla were slowly creeping into Hatyai. Although the radio did annouced that it would get serious by midnight, luckily, the water level in the river (I'm staying just beside it) rose up to the edge of the river bank whereas normally, it was at least 10 feet lower.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get worse.

thaivisitor

Edited by dr_Pat_Pong

For those of us who live here year around, you might remember we had virtually NO monsoon (rain) this last "low" season. At least that was true here in Krabi; it was warm and beautiful the whole summer June- August. :D

I’m sorry for all the tourists that are stuck in their bungalows- But the rain has to come at sometime or we will have problems like SBK said. :o

Its a fine day today here on Samui. No sign of rain, even had to wear my sunglasses this morining!!!

Everyone is in a better mood and some people including me are sining songs about sunshine, that kind of stuff :o

Lets hope it stays, looks like it could, hoooray

Its a fine day today here on Samui.  No sign of rain, even had to wear my sunglasses this morining!!!

Everyone is in a better mood and some people including me are sining songs about sunshine, that kind of stuff  :o

Lets hope it stays, looks like it could, hoooray

Yes - bright sunny and warm today and no sign so far of rain on the radar (touch wood!). Things beginning to dry out a bit at last.

PATTANI: -- Heavy downpours and flash floods have critically damaged several southern provinces and brought large areas to a virtual standstill, including Pattani, where a state of emergency was declared.

Governor Panu Uthairat said heavy downpours which flooded low-lying areas caused the southern province to declare a state of emergency while evacuation plans were prepared for villagers living on river banks.

More floodwaters are feared to be coming from neighbouring Yala and Narathiwat, Mr. Panu said. Clothing, dry foods and other subsistence items will be handed out to flood victims.

However, roads linking the southernmost provinces remained in use, while damage due to flooding in all districts of Pattani is yet to be estimated.

In Nakhon Sri Thammarat, flash floods damaged 19 districts, with hundreds of roads and bridges cut off and about 170,000 villagers affected.

Damage to Chalerm Prakiat, Prom Khiri, Pak Panang and Chian Yai districts, among others, was estimated at about Bt100 million (US$2.5 million).

--TNA 2005-12-09

I'm based in Hatyai and although there were such news, I haven't actually seen the one or two metre deep waters.

Yesterday, a couple of my friends were returning by road to Malaysia and while it normally takes an hour to reach the border from Hatyai, it took them more than 3 hours as part of the roads were flooded and they had to be diverted.

It stopped raining in Hatyai since yesterday early afternoon but waters from other partys of Songkhla were slowly creeping into Hatyai. Although the radio did annouced that it would get serious by midnight, luckily, the water level in the river (I'm staying just beside it) rose up to the edge of the river bank whereas normally, it was at least 10 feet lower.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get worse.

thaivisitor

Last night or rather early in the morning there were some periodic showers. By morning there was no rain. It didn't rain in Hatyai today but as I was driving from the city to the airport, part of one side of the road was already flooded to at least ankle depth or slightly more. The water level at trhe river was brimming menacingly, and some parts of the river were stacked with sandbags by the authorities as these parts were overflowing.

I've checked the drainage in from of my home and I can see the water level rose by at least 6 inches in the morning and remains at that level as of this post. Hopefully it doesn't gets higher.

well fly for about 50 quid to pattaya its 50 times better than samui and its not raining unlike samui, not samuis fault like cos its rainy season there and if ya dont like rain like me dont go where its raining.

nuff said

THE WEATHER BUREAU WARNS OF MORE RAINS AND FLOODS DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS

The Meteorological Department has warned southern residents on the eastern coastal areas to expect more rain between tomorrow and December 16th, with a possibility of flashfloods.

Meteorological Department’s Chief Suparerk Tansrirattanawong (ศุภฤกษ์ ตันศรีรัตนวงศ์) and his team inspected Nakorn Si Thammarat (นครศรีธรรมราช) Province following the recent flood situation there. They also met with Deputy Governor of Nakorn Si Thammarat Wongwiboon Kitwiboon (วงศ์วิบูลย์ กิจวิบูลย์) and the Head of the provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, Mrs. Pensri Keawkumpai (เพ็ญศรี แก้วคุ้มภัย). Mr. Suparerk said that this trip was aimed at inspecting the flood situation in the southern region, starting from Songkhla (สงขลา), Pattalung(พัทลุง), and Nakorn Si Thammarat (นครศรีธรรมราช). He said that officials in the region are working very hard in helping flood victims.

Mr. Suparerk also said that his weather bureau has efficiently given advance warning to the people in the flood-stricken areas, adding that the people have been following the weather advisory closely. He added that there has been no depression this year, just only low pressure areas dominating the southern region.

Meanwhile, the Department has warned of more showers and flash floods in the eastern coastal provinces of the southern region over the next few days. A new high pressure area from China is extending to cover Thailand during December 13th and 16th, causing low pressure areas dominating the southern region to intensify. Heavy rain can be expected in Nakorn Si Thammarat (นครศรีธรรมราช), Patthalung (พัทลุง), Songkhla (สงขลา), Pattani (ปัตตานี), Yala (ยะลา), and Narathiwat (นราธิวาส). Flashfloods could also occur following the rain. Therefore, people in risky areas should be more vigilant about possible flood disasters.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 December 2005

well fly for about 50 quid to pattaya its 50 times better than samui and its not raining unlike samui, not samuis fault like cos its rainy season there and if ya dont like rain like me dont go where its raining.

nuff said

Check the weather map, Nakhon Si Thammarat is to the South of Samui. A bit overcast today and cooler than yesterday but we have had bright sunny days for the past 3 days.

PATTANI HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY FLOODS, FOLLOWING DAYS OF HEAVY RAINS

Pattani Governor Panu Utairat (ภาณุ อุทัยรัตน์) said that 61 districts in the province have been affected by floods, adding that the authorities are doing their best to aid the people.

Mr. Panu said that heavy precipitation and flashfloods from Yala Province have inundated 61 districts in Pattani, affecting 16,181 households. He said that the damage done to farmlands is still being estimated.

The Pattani Governor said that he has ordered officials to quickly aid the people in many districts, adding that centers have been set up to provide help to affected residents. Officials in district level have been told to coordinate with provincial officials closely to help flood victims He stated that the people can contact for help at the hotline 1881. Mr. Panu said that the residents have been evacuated to safe areas, and survival kits have been districted to affected people.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 December 2005

MUCH OF THE SOUTH NO LONGER FLOODED, BUT CONDITION REMAINS SEVERE IN PATTANI

Flooding remain severe in Pattani province, whereas the situation is returning to normal in other provinces lining the eastern seaboard.

Heavy flooding persist in Pattani province, after it was hit this weekend with the floodwater that flowed from Yala and the continued heavy downpours under the influence of the northeastern monsoon. The water level in some subdistricts in the city have reached 2 meters. Commuting has now shifted from wheeled vehicles to flat-bottom boats. Efforts to disperse excessive water into the Pattani river resulted in flooding along the riverbanks that engulfed more than 1,000 houses.

Pattani Governor Phana U_thairat (ภาณะ อุทัยรัตน์) already evacuated some residents to higher ground and is still sending out neccessities to those who remain at their homes. The water level is expected to recede within 2-3 days from now if there is no additional heavy downpour.

Today the Meteorological Department predicts heavy raining in Chumphorn, Suratthani, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Songkhla provinces, sparing Pattani from its list.

This morning when I checked, the water level in the river has gone down quite comfortably and the drainage water level infront of my house has also gone back to normal. It didn't rain the whole day in Hatyai other than a very slight drizzle that is definitely harmless.

It started raining about half an hour ago and is still raining as I am putting out this post. Not really heavy, but more than a shower. Hopefully it will go away, and hopefully other parts of southern Thailand will also be safe as danger to them means danger to Hatyai.

FLOOD SITUATION IN NAKHON SI THAMMARAT IS STILL MANAGEABLE

The province of Nakhon Si Thammarat continues to confront with heavy precipitation and inundation in various areas. Officials have issued a warning to commuters to be more careful while they are traveling during this period.

Heavy downpour ceases to stop falling since last night in Nakhon Si Thammarat, causing the water levels in various rivers and canals to ascend. Many schools in the area have suspended their teachings today. The provincial municipality and foundations are cooperating together in placing sandbags in certain locations to prevent further flooding. A number of locals have moved their belongings to higher grounds.

Regarding the transport routes in the province, the floodwater level in the main provincial road has increased to 40 centimeters because the water ventilation system is incapable to drain the rising water. Thus, officials have dug holes in certain streets in order to deal with the present problem. However, most motorists are still traveling regularly today.

The railway route in Nakhon Si Thammarat’s Tungsong (ทุ่งสง) District has been flooded as well, and the railway officials are working on the situation. If the water level continues to rise above the railway track, train passengers will then be transferred to public buses.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 December 2005