Dna Test

keithkarmann

Hello,

Can someone please give me advice as to what is involved to get a paternity DNA test done on the daughter and the father for the purpose proving paternity as the daughter is presently without I.D. because she was abandoned at birth.She believes she has found her real father (but does anyone know their real father in Thailand).Hopefully there is a simple test that can be done first before going for the legal option.

Kevin

Just enter "DNA test" at the right top of the screen, where you see search in grey and you wil get several hits.

Most public hospitals should be able to do it, with simple swapping of the inside of the cheeks to get DNA samples from both. Of course both parties must agree to this.

Hi, I got a DNA test when I was applying for permanent residence (that didn't work out). Almost every hospital provide tests but in my case, immigration stipulated a government hospital; if you want the test for legal purposes you may wish to check before maybe wasting your money on a private hospital test.

The hospital we went to just took a photo of us (my wife, son and myself) and then swabbed the inside of our cheeks and we collected the results a week later. It was 5,000 per person and there were two copies of the results in Thai and English - as I'd never had such a test before it was fascinating to see how our son was half me and half my wife.

As a side note, you'll be sure to leave with a story to tell, such sections of the hospital are filled with fascinating characters. When we went, there were two warring families; a young mother with an infant and an 'accidental' father - the look on his face when he was forced to pose for the photo - they should use shots like that for condom adverts!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

You do not say if you may be the potetial father or from what country you come from.

I am going through a similar process myself. I chose to do a DNA test myself. I brought a test kit from the UK, took the swabs from the mother, daughter and myself and sent it back to UK where it was evaluated and had the results in a week. Cost was approx £225 . This only establishes wether or not you or whoever is the father etc,

You can then decide how you would want to proceed.

If you are trying to get an ID and say a british passport you need to contact the British authorities and check what the latest process is required. You may have to go through a lawyer, who will confirm that the photographs are of the people being tested. Then go to relevent approved hospitl / doctor for the test to be done.

You will also have to make sure that the tests comply with any Thai law.

This way is more expensive than the one I chose but cheaper in the long run.

Whatever you do try to make sure that if you are trying to get passport + ID you have the latest requirement satisfied from all relevant authorities other wise you will just have to go through the whole process again. You will of course know if you or the person concerned is related.

I hope this is of some help.

Edited by Johnjc