Necklace Thief Run-Over By A “Good Samaritan”

Rimmer

Suspected necklace thief ran-over by “Good Samaritan”

PATTAYA:--A suspected necklace thief was stopped in his tracks by a “Good Samaritan” who ran the suspect over seconds after he stole the necklace.

The incident occurred at the south-end of Pattaya Third Road close to the entrance to Soi 17 and began with the theft of a gold necklace from around the neck of Khun Niyadar aged 25, who was driving her motorbike when she was confronted by the suspect, Khun Pishaert aged 30, on a further bike, who came up beside her and grabbed the 12,000 Baht gold necklace.

Khun Manop aged 38 saw the incident as he drove past in his pick-up and decided to run the suspect over as he attempted to escape on his bike. Despite the fact that the suspected thief sustained a suspected broken leg and internal injuries, Khun Manop was declared the hero-of-the-day

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/52113/suspected-necklace-thief-ran-over-good-samaritan/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-03-29

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Back at home he'd be charged for attempted manslaughter. You can't just run around killing people for snatching jewellery.

Maybe we should be able to..

I'll pass on that. I hope they lock the driver up.

Back at home he'd be charged for attempted manslaughter. You can't just run around killing people for snatching jewellery.

Maybe we should be able to..

+1. you put all of your sweat and tears into working for a paycheck, and just let someone jack your stuff for free?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

There is a fine line between what is accepted as self defense or aiding a victim and breaking a law but in this situation and others Thai police would have done the same in their car. Risky, but a Thai could get away with it easier than a foreigner and I would not recommend such an action !

<snip>

Spare me days! Another tree hugging, social engineer on the loose in a country where there is little retribution for the victim of crimes like this.

IMO the driver erred by not backing over him just to make sure!

Yeah, better having a bunch of vigilantes running around killing suspected criminals. Give them guns.

I do not feel sorry for the "snatcher" one bit and hope he get further punishment.

What worries me is the driver saw something that he thought was a necklace snatch, he could have been so easily wrong by misinterpreting what saw, he would have been in the wrong and some poor person ending up in hospital or even worse.

I do not feel sorry for the "snatcher" one bit and hope he get further punishment.

A broken leg is not punishment enough? He could be permanently disabled. I've had a badly broken leg and I'm still suffering for it after 30 years. I'd prefer to do some time in jail than have my leg broken.

A broken leg is not punishment enough? He could be permanently disabled. I've had a badly broken leg and I'm still suffering for it after 30 years. I'd prefer to do some time in jail than have my leg broken.

With any luck he will be permanently disabled from stealing again.

One of these thugs snatched my necless years ago and i wish i could travel back in time and take his eyes, preventing any further crime in addition to a just delf defense

Edited by poanoi

<snip>

Spare me days! Another tree hugging, social engineer on the loose in a country where there is little retribution for the victim of crimes like this.

IMO the driver erred by not backing over him just to make sure!

Yeah, better having a bunch of vigilantes running around killing suspected criminals. Give them guns.

violin.gifcoffee1.gif The only time I agree with Sharia law.. You're Muslim aren't you Tropo, based on some of your past posts?

BTW who claimed he's only a suspected criminal? The "hero" witnessed the crime personally, he wasn't suspect as he saw it, he was a criminal in need of stopping..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The first necklace snatch I witnessed in Thailand was about 9 years ago on 2nd rd. in Pattaya and just seconds after the theif snatched it all of a sudden there were seriously about 5 different Thai folks on radios and they got the kid still within seeing distance as someone kicked him off his bike and the Thai lady got her necklace back within minutes.

I was very surprized at the time to see motorcycle taxi guys with radios, what I think were under-cover police and security guards all so fast.

That was awesome.

Second was on soi Khao Tao Lo and was pretty much the same thing except people got on their bikes and chased after the theif and brought the farangs necklace back within 5 minutes.

The first necklace snatch I witnessed in Thailand was about 9 years ago on 2nd rd. in Pattaya and just seconds after the theif snatched it all of a sudden there were seriously about 5 different Thai folks on radios and they got the kid still within seeing distance as someone kicked him off his bike and the Thai lady got her necklace back within minutes.

I was very surprized at the time to see motorcycle taxi guys with radios, what I think were under-cover police and security guards all so fast.

That was awesome.

Second was on soi Khao Tao Lo and was pretty much the same thing except people got on their bikes and chased after the theif and brought the farangs necklace back within 5 minutes.

Maybe you made a mistake concerning the second report - according to so many TV Thailand experts, Thais never help a farang against a Thai!

Did you get yours stealing from somebody, doubt it. With a bit of luck it will deter him from repeating stealing if not, at best slow him down a bit. Hopefully he will to will be suffering for 30 years.

Edited by marstons

Did you get yours stealing from somebody, doubt it. With a bit of luck it will deter him from repeating stealing if not, at best slow him down a bit. Hopefully he will to will be suffering for 30 years.

You need to concentrate on what you're reading.

I asked Basil if a broken leg (for example) is not punishment enough? What I'm suggesting is that a broken leg is far worse than time in jail.

It's pretty obvious that a broken leg, even once healed, (and especially with Thai doctors doing the work) - may prevent him from ever being able to run fast enough again to be a successful snatcher.

A friend of mine in Pattaya has just has his 3rd surgery on a broken knee in 3 months. Perhaps you need to break a leg or two to understand how bad it can be.

Edited by tropo

I asked Basil if a broken leg (for example) is not punishment enough? What I'm suggesting is that a broken leg is far worse than time in jail.

The "Good Samaritan" was I presume trying to apprehend the "Snatcher", in UK law that would be a so called "Citizens Arrest" and his broken leg would be a result of him "Resisting Arrest", I feel that this should not be an excuse for him not to be tried and punished for his crime.

My only concern is that in the heat of the moment how easy it would be to misinterpret events.

The "Good Samaritan" was I presume trying to apprehend the "Snatcher", in UK law that would be a so called "Citizens Arrest" and his broken leg would be a result of him "Resisting Arrest",

The "Good Samaritan" is a fool and a danger on the road.

Edited by tropo

The "Good Samaritan" was I presume trying to apprehend the "Snatcher", in UK law that would be a so called "Citizens Arrest" and his broken leg would be a result of him "Resisting Arrest",

Tropo, if you withnessed* a bag snatch on the street and the perp was running by you on the sidewalk, right past you.

Would you stick your foot out to trip him?

(It is absolutley clear in your mind that the &lt;deleted&gt; has ripped granies handbag off, no doubt at all, you saw the whole thing)

Tropo, if you withnessed* a bag snatch on the street and the perp was running by you on the sidewalk, right past you.

Would you stick your foot out to trip him?

(It is absolutley clear in your mind that the &lt;deleted&gt; has ripped granies handbag off, no doubt at all, you saw the whole thing)

We're talking about a guy driving by in a car possibly with a limited view of what's going on trying to run someone over who allegedly snatched something.

I can say for sure that I would not try to run someone over who was snatching, even if I saw it clearly.

What would make you so confident that a granny's handbag snatcher would not retaliate with a knife or a gun here in Thailand?

Just as an example to bring home my point... I had my cellphone snatched from me while talking on it in the Philippines several years ago. I ran after the guy into a side street and was accosted by a gang, one of which pointed a gun at me. Needless to say I let him have the phone and walked away.

We're talking about a guy driving by in a car possibly with a limited view of what's going on trying to run someone over who allegedly snatched something.

I can say for sure that I would not try to run someone over who was snatching, even if I saw it clearly.

What would make you so confident that a granny's handbag snatcher would not retaliate with a knife or a gun here in Thailand?

Just as an example to bring home my point... I had my cellphone snatched from me while talking on it in the Philippines several years ago. I ran after the guy into a side street and was accosted by a gang, one of which pointed a gun at me. Needless to say I let him have the phone and walked away.

"We're talking about a guy driving by in a car possibly with a limited view of what's going on trying to run someone over who allegedly snatched something."

I don't want to be argumentative (well I do today) but you seem to be going out of your way to inject doubt and misdirection into this story in an attempt to label the driver as some kind of Mad Max serial killer.

Have you considred that he saw the whole incident clearly from start to finish and was in no doubt that the thief was in fact just that. Having witnessed what he clearly knew was a crime and seeing an opportunity to block the thiefs' escape he simply moved in car into the path of the bike?

I can see both points of view. However I have an 89 year old granny. If anyone did this to her I would want to disembowel them before subjecting them to a long and painful death.

I doubt I am alone in this sentiment. Same if it was my mother...sister...or even brother or child.

You simply don't want to see this from the initial victims point of view. the guy who has been smashed up here cared only for himself. Better you save your sympathy for someone more worthwhile.

• Like 1

"We're talking about a guy driving by in a car possibly with a limited view of what's going on trying to run someone over who allegedly snatched something."

I don't want to be argumentative (well I do today) but you seem to be going out of your way to inject doubt and misdirection into this story in an attempt to label the driver as some kind of Mad Max serial killer.

Have you considred that he saw the whole incident clearly from start to finish and was in no doubt that the thief was in fact just that. Having witnessed what he clearly knew was a crime and seeing an opportunity to block the thiefs' escape he simply moved in car into the path of the bike?

I'm not "going out of your way to inject doubt and misdirection into this story". It is you who is doing that. I'm going with the story as given which is all we have to go with.

i.e. "Khun Manop aged 38 saw the incident as he drove past in his pick-up and decided to run the suspect over as he attempted to escape on his bike"

and the headline of story: "Suspected necklace thief ran-over by “Good Samaritan”

Note use of the words "suspected", "suspect" and "ran-over".

Edited by tropo

I can see both points of view. However I have an 89 year old granny. If anyone did this to her I would want to disembowel them before subjecting them to a long and painful death.

I doubt I am alone in this sentiment. Same if it was my mother...sister...or even brother or child.

You simply don't want to see this from the initial victims point of view. the guy who has been smashed up here cared only for himself. Better you save your sympathy for someone more worthwhile.

That's why in most civilized countries justice is served by courts, not by victims' families.

I don't have sympathy for anyone here - I'm just seeing things as they are.