Two To Three Weeks In The Uk

MsClueless

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Luton in Bedfordshire ,then you can meet people from all around the world ,visit bury park ,you will think you are in India ,go to wardown park and see the swans being caught for supper by immegrants ,visit hockwell ring and be mugged ,then off to high town and you will believe you are in Poland ,last stop off in the Arndale centre and see multiculturalism at work oh and dont forget to strp outside and see the unamployed spending their money on special brew,lastly pop into the charity shops(they are the only ones left open) for those presents to take home.whistling.gif

I am back. More questions

Which web site is the best for book train and bus in England?

I had some look but seem so many train company. Is there one that has all routes?

I look at national express coach for bus I think but seem more expensive than train?

Thank you smile.png

BritRail Pass

Make the most of your visit to Great Britain with this pass which provides access to all trains on Great Britain's National Rail Network. Explore destinations throughout England, Scotland and Wales. Hop on and off the trains as you wish!

Valid for 22 days 485 Euros per person equivalent to £400

For England only Valid for 22 days = 389 Euros per person equivalent to £318

or

8 days travel in a 2 month period = 265 euros per person equivalent to £217

Note that is for any train as many trips / stops as you wish. And available to non UK residents.

You need to work out a rough guide to what your travel arrangements may be because it may not be good value. Obviously it depends on how many trips you will make.

Maybe the 8 day pass might be best for you. Especially as you will not travel by rail every day.

For advanced bookings....

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/629.aspx

Remember that the earlier you book, the cheaper it is and you can book 3 months in advance. Insurance per ticket is about £1 generally.

Hello MsClueless, I think you are not so clueless or you wouldn't be organising this great trip.

I started to make the notes for this reply some days ago, so forgive me if I repeat anything that has since been mentioned.

A lot of good information already given - do read it all carefully. (though some guys are a bit biased towards their own city/area) smile.png

If you think Manchester & Liverpool are industrial towns then you should definitely visit them, you will be pleasantly suprised. Especially the Anglican & Catholic cathedrals (temples) in Liverpool. (just Google)

pics here: http://tinyurl.com/cz22e28

Hop on, hop off open top bus tours are a great way to see cities, especially London. You might have seen these near the Grand Palace in Bangkok. They have earphones giving information in many languages. Its good to do this as soon as you can after arriving in a city as you see the city layout and main land marks. Just Google: "open top bus tour xxxx" where xxxx = name of city. Example: http://www.manchesterbustours.co.uk/

Available in almost every city in England

Usually long distance buses are much cheaper than trains.

www.Megabus.com

National Express (a huge network) http://www.nationale...s.com/home.aspx

www.Thetrainline.com For West coast main line: http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/

Book at least 2 weeks in advance for best prices. Standard class is very nice compared to SRT trains. West coast std class:

220px-Virgin_Trains_Class_390_Pendolino_Standard_Class_Interior.JPG

Overnight sleeper London - Glasgow saves a night's hotel cost.

Train travel is MUCH faster than in Thailand, up to 200 kph intercity.

300px-Virgin_Pendolino_at_Euston.jpg

As someone else mentioned, look for 2 for 1 or half price for the second person offers.

Accommodation:

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/ (low quality furniture etc. but adequate) £12 room sale now on.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/ Better quality than Travelodge.

Hostels. Google "Hostel UK" Cheap if you share a room with others.

Bed & breakfast. Private houses take people in. Usually very nice, but maybe £40 each. Sign outside. (no need to book in advance)

Check out this website for free accommodation: www.Couchsurfing.com

If you join you could message Thais in Bangkok and ask them about their experiences.

For accommodation & travel you will save A LOT by booking well in advance. But of course you need a credit card to pay online. I don't know which sites will/won't take a Thai CC.

If you don't understand something. e.g "Lake District" just put it into Google: "English Lake District."

Castles & greenery, yes there are lots, but more difficult without a car.

monseurhappy idea of coach tours is an excellent idea and very good value for money but expect fellow passengers to be mostly older. No stress, somebody else does all the planning, arranging hotels, meals, etc.

Wetherspoons chain of pubs very reasonable price for food.

Don't try to do too much. All rush & see nothing!

Don't rush your planning, put it back one year if necessary.

Remember 1 day somewhere requires 2 nights. 2 days/3 nights will go very quickly.

No need to buy drinking water, you can drink from the tap no problem. Tastes better in the country than city.

Need to get yourself a good map of Great Britain now so that you can see where the various places you would like to visit are in relation to each other.

If you have specific questions I'm happy to help. (PM ok) Know my way around the internet well & I have travelled about the UK a lot. (ex truck driver)

Finally: have a great time. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

MsClueless - I think you have received too much information!

A lot of it has been good tips but some have made it confusing.

To spend 4000/5000 pounds on a trip to the UK you need to take more time with your planning so if you can you should

postpone your trip for at least a year.

Start by getting a map of the UK and highlight the places you would like to visit. Then, using the internet , find out about each place. Make sure you really want to visit any particular town or city. A lot of towns and cities have attractions but not enough to warrant time spent there. Choose the places that you can explore for a few days without having to move on after just a few hours.Once you have marked your map with the places you want to see you can then decide which direction you want to head off in and plan your route and means of transport.

You also need to remember that the weather in the UK can change from 1 day to the next, even 1 hour to the next so you will have to decide when it is best to travel and what clothes to pack.

Don't rush into this and waste a lot of money.

• Like 1

Now I am very confuse and lost

Cannot decide anything

Breathe deeply

But thank you all for your advice

Look again through the thread.

Copy and paste any information you like or feel is important from the topic into wordpad or similar and then sit back and re-read it at leisure.

Later you can either google the places you are considering visiting or ask for more specific information.

Yes too much make me want to go every where

But cannot :)

You are right I don't want to see one place for one day then move. I want to relax so spend less time on the road or train or changing towns

And I don't want to go far or to other side of country to find same things I can find closer to Bristol or London. Maybe I include Oxford to the plan

Oh Monsieur I want to go this year. Next year is too late. I am not patient :)

Edited by MsClueless

But cannot smile.png

You are right I don't want to see one place for one day then move. I want to relax so spend less time on the road or train or changing towns

And I don't want to go far or to other side of country to find same things I can find closer to Bristol or London. Maybe I include Oxford to the plan

Oh Monsieur I want to go this year. Next year is too late. I am not patient smile.png

I recommend Chapel-en-le-Frith. Nice little town that.

Next year?? Prices will be even more expensive!!

But cannot smile.png

Oh Monsieur I want to go this year. Next year is too late. I am not patient smile.png

I recommend Chapel-en-le-Frith. Nice little town that.

Next year?? Prices will be even more expensive!!

Smokie 36 - I know you mean well but this is just the thing I was telling MsClueless to avoid - a town that can be seen in a few hours!

Don't get me wrong, C en-le-F is a lovely place but unless you want to spend the days walking there is not a lot to do there. The whole of Derbyshire is a great place but you need a car to take you around as each town is too small to spend more than a day in each.

London is the obvious place in the UK to spend a few days, in fact a few weeks and you wouldn't see it all.

I'm not sure about Bristol although if you want to meet up with friends there I suppose it's a must. I must admitt it's a long time since I was in Bristol and I never explored the place.

York is one of my most favourite cities ( I have no connection with York ) The town is small enough to walk around without the need for transport although there are open-top buses. It has one of the finest railway museums in the world with plenty of interest for everyone. York has roots back to the Vikings and the Romans and museums that show this. ( the Jorvik centre is fantastic) There are boat trips on the river and lots of small lanes and passages to explore ( the Shambles ) In all I think you could easily spend 3/4 days there and it's only 1 train ride from London.

While heading north you might as well go on to Edinburgh where again you could explore most of the city on foot. When the "festival" is on you could spend a day or more just watching the artists around town.Another 3/4 days there and don't forget to get a bus to Leith ( sp ) to see the Royal Yaght Brittannia.

So if you are limited to a few towns or don't want to travel too much these are the places I would reccomend.

Of course it's like someone coming to Thailand for the first time and seeing maybe BKK, C Mai and Pattaya. Although it's Thailand, it's far from the "real" Thailand, or maybe not.

I hope you make it and have a good holiday.

• Like 1

York sounds nice

I think lake district is hard to travel so cannot go.

Cornwall I like to visit but can I Dow only by train? Or I need car?

For the other lovely town Mr smokie will be my guide it's ok smile.png (not real, I just joke)

Don't discount the Lake District on travel grounds - you will regret it. It is probably the most beautiful part of England.

Lancahirelad

Thank you

Lots of nice tips

I think I have some better idea now. I know England is beautiful and many places to visit but I cannot do all in two weeks :)

So I try practical. Maybe not most beautiful part of your country, but something I can manage. Being in new country is already good for me. I don't have to see all :)

In London hotel, what area from this list

Kings cross

Paddington - I like one hotel here. The net say good for going to heathrow?

Bank

Waterloo

Liverpool street

Tower b ridge

Euston

travelodge say no left luggage. They have paid storage locker somewhere? I don't mean airport because I check out mid day but flight will be night time. So where to leave bags?

In London hotel, what area from this list

Kings cross

Paddington - I like one hotel here. The net say good for going to heathrow?

Bank

Waterloo

Liverpool street

Tower b ridge

Euston

travelodge say no left luggage. They have paid storage locker somewhere? I don't mean airport because I check out mid day but flight will be night time. So where to leave bags?

Paddington is good location and the station is home to the Heathrow Express. Normal trains good as well.

Luggage storage:-

http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/left_luggage_paddington.php

On important aspect we haven't talked about yet is money. You're going to be spending English Pounds so you should try to exchange your Thai Baht for Pounds here in Thailand before you go, if you wait until you get to the UK they will cost you much more, at least ten per cent more expensive. If you go to any large bank, presumably you are in Bangkok, you can order however many English Pounds you need but it might take a couple of days.

I will get pounds here

How much cash I should take?

And I will not tell many my dates otherwise someone rob me. Hehe

Joke only

Will pay hotels before

Train and bus also pay before

So for food, entrance tickets to places for 14 days?

What area in York is good to stay for hotel booking

On important aspect we haven't talked about yet is money. You're going to be spending English Pounds so you should try to exchange your Thai Baht for Pounds here in Thailand before you go, if you wait until you get to the UK they will cost you much more, at least ten per cent more expensive. If you go to any large bank, presumably you are in Bangkok, you can order however many English Pounds you need but it might take a couple of days.

For two non-British travellers I imagine that hey will not have UK bank accounts. I would be reluctant to recommend taking too much cash.

Perhaps a maximum of GBP 500.00 each with the balance taken in travelers cheques. I would also want the back up of a bank debit card and a credit card.

Thank you every one for continue information and not tire of me smile.png

York was not in my plan. It is north? maybe now I have try go

From London, what day trips I should do? Brighton? Greenwich?

There is one castle not far from London I think. cannot remember the place

Oxford from London?

Or can I stay near London and make day trips to some places to see museums in London?

I look at travelodge London, and they have so many. I don't know which area is good or convenient or not

Thank you

Yes, York is up north. It is on the main line East Coast railway. I'll let the information I posted to speak for it.

280 Kilometers from London. Approximately 2 hours by train.( currently, for example, booking 3 months ahead to July 2nd you can pay as little as £19 each for the journey)

If you plan to go north to Scotland - say Edinburgh - York would be a great place to stop off for a day or two.

As an aside, I have plenty of time on my hands and I am happy to look up other places you might be interested in to try and show what is available as I did with York. You can PM me for information if you wish.

Pattaydingo if you ever get THAT bored smile.png you could put together the travel itinerary (max 3 weeks) that includes:-

London (min 3 nights)

Dublin (2 nights)

Rome (2 nights)

Lake District (3 nights)

Lincoln (1 night)

York (1 night)

Edinburgh (2 nights)

possible other places of interest - Whitby/Goathland/NorthYorksMoors,

I am sure there are more but I can't think of them.

Chok Dee

This thread has got me thinking and I have now decided that, if I want to limit my trip to 3 weeks, I will have to rule out Dublin and Rome.

I think I would probably have to plan for 2 nights in London (to settle in and see a few sights). From there I would have 3 nights in Norwich (to see family and local attractions). Then onto Cambridge for 1 night (maybe taking in Newmarket races). Next would be York for 1 night, then Pickering for 3 nights (taking in Scarborough, N.Yorks Moors railway incl Goathland and Whitby). Back to York for 1 night before heading back to London for 1 night (maybe arrange change of clothing from left luggage as I would not want to tour with 2 x25kg suitcases).

Next to Edinburgh for 2 nights after which I would rent a car to go via Penrith to the Lake District - 2 nights in Keswick and 2 nights in Grasmere or Ambleside.

Next to Liverpool and/or Chester for 1 night where we have Farang/.Thai friends.

Back to London for 3 nights.

I think that computes as 22 nights. The last 3 in London would be fluid so if suddenly decided to have a night in,say, Oxford or Bath we could do so.

Just first thoughts.....

I will get pounds here

How much cash I should take?

And I will not tell many my dates otherwise someone rob me. Hehe

Joke only

Will pay hotels before

Train and bus also pay before

So for food, entrance tickets to places for 14 days?

What area in York is good to stay for hotel booking

So many places but look at these two. the Ibis is only 800 metres from the walled city. Not that I have stayed there, I just did a web search.

http://www.roomsinyork.com/guesthouses.php [Double Rooms from £45 per night]

or

Room for 1 or 2 persons Regular rate £ 55 GBP Ibis Hotel

The Ibis York Centre hotel is right in the heart of York, only 800 metres from the walls of the medieval city. Easily accessible, the hotel is located close to railway stations and only 30 minutes by car from Leeds Bradford Airport. The hotel is ideal for weekend stays or your business stopovers, offering 85 rooms and featuring a restaurant, a bar serving light meals and snacks 24hrs as well as limited free parking. Please note that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment to bedrooms and public areas.

http://online.travels-web.com/hotel/10005126-11276669O.html?ses=2f06db81758e28dbce9a6769034cfe9c&unps=y&lrp=2e

Why the megabus much cheaper that national express bus?

I find same travel time about 1hr 50 mins, but less than half price for megabus

Is it bad?

They charge extra for luggage or not?

You know, like airssia low cost airline :)

For two non-British travellers I imagine that hey will not have UK bank accounts. I would be reluctant to recommend taking too much cash.

Perhaps a maximum of GBP 500.00 each with the balance taken in travelers cheques. I would also want the back up of a bank debit card and a credit card.

I agree, when I refered to English Pounds I had meant Travellers Cheques.

Why the megabus much cheaper that national express bus?

I find same travel time about 1hr 50 mins, but less than half price for megabus

Is it bad?

They charge extra for luggage or not?

You know, like airssia low cost airline smile.png

Megabus is on-line booking. lower overheads.