Scorpion Sting

jaidam

Yesterday while carrying a sandbag I felt a sudden searing pain in my finger. Sure enough, it was a scorpion. About 5cm long and a sandy colour with very small claws.

It is the 3rd time to have been stung by scorpions and usually the pain subsides fairly quickly and after a few hours is totally gone. This time it is now 22 hours after being stung and the pain is just as bad(may even be slightly worse) as an hour after the initial sting. It feels like a buzzing pain similar to an electric shock, really very unpleasant and brushing my finger against anything is agonizing. There is no flesh discolouration or any sign that the finger is in pain.

Does anybody have any info on these scorpions and their bites? I'm concerned about how this is going to play out. Is there any medication designed for this situation.

Many thanks.

These scorpion stings last for around 24 hours so just hang in there. Having been stung myself I can sympothise with your pain as it affects the whole limb.

Next time take an antihistamine but as you are obviously not allergic you should be ok soon.

I asked my wife who grew up in the jungle, she said to put lots of monkey holding peach balm (thats the brand name) on several times through the day, otherwise go to a doctor and get an injection if the pain gets to be too much. From what I understand, the smaller the scorpion the worse the bite.

My wife got stung several times, one time in the tongue (which did not stop her from speaking as long as I hoped) and all was gone in 1-2 days.

But if I recall right it was always black scorpion.

Not sandy color.

Google also only speak from black scorpions.

If the area doesn't get bigger or get strange colors or stronger swelling I would just wait another day, but than it should get quickly better.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday 28hrs past the bite i took antihistamines and the gradual decline stopped, this was getting quite serious with the fingertip starting to blister although it bit midfinger, and the constant buzzing pain. This morning was much improved and now it feels fine, just been playing some guitar at the beach bar lol

This was a sandy coloured beast, there are many of them at home here at koh tao. After lots of googling its 99% certain that these small scorpions are lychas mucronatus,prevelant in SE Asia. Very unpleasant, and being stung by an adult is nasty. Twice stung before by smaller versions which hurt for a couple of hours, this was so different.

Thanks again, I'm good now.

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday 28hrs past the bite i took antihistamines and the gradual decline stopped, this was getting quite serious with the fingertip starting to blister although it bit midfinger, and the constant buzzing pain. This morning was much improved and now it feels fine, just been playing some guitar at the beach bar lol

This was a sandy coloured beast, there are many of them at home here at koh tao. After lots of googling its 99% certain that these small scorpions are lychas mucronatus,prevelant in SE Asia. Very unpleasant, and being stung by an adult is nasty. Twice stung before by smaller versions which hurt for a couple of hours, this was so different.

Thanks again, I'm good now.

I think the scorpion can adjust dosage and has more or less on stock. Your hand is usually moving so there is limited time to inject and some might not go really inside. And they are different size of these.

So I think the amount of poison can vary a lot.

My wife got stung several times, one time in the tongue

Just curious. How did she managed to do this? I know some people eat scorpions, but normally they are fried or barbequed i.e. dead.

she got fruits, salad, herbs from the South and ate it. I didn't watch here, technically it seems impossible, if you don't eat like a pig. Maybe it was a small one. Or it could jump, rofl? Or she got a wesp and coincidentially there was a scorpion on the floor?

I don't have a good explanation how it could happen. And didn't stop her from speaking for a long time...

She would never eat a fried one....