Hello Chiang Rai Golfers

femi fan

Greetings from chiang mai. It's that time of the year when we get cheaper golf here, and i'm wondering if any of you can let me know if you have any deals at santiburi (nothing mentioned on their website) and waterford. I've played the santiburi a couple of times and it's just a great course to be playing my golf on. I've also been graciously invited by some of yourselves to join in when playing at santiburi. I recall being told one time that you had a sports day, was it wednesday? Anyway, if so, what is the green fee, and what are the general fees at the moment? And how about waterford?

I'm basically wanting to plot a trip up there for a couple of days to get in some golf, and am hoping that some deals are on!

From my experience, the golfers of Chiang Rai are not very active online. You could be waiting a very longtime before you get a response from them so I suggested you might go to the source to get more accurate information in a more timely manner. Apparently that is too practical and rational an idea to be taken seriously.

Hi femi fan,

Sorry about the XXXXX on the forum. They just try to be smart, have nothing else to do etc etc.

Back to your questions, Santiburi have special rate nowadays, will probably be until October, with half price. That is same as sportsday in the weekdays and you pay 1020 baht incl caddy. Weekends probably around 1500 baht.

The new golf course Happy City (very good design and in good shape) is 650 baht every day in the week incl caddy. They do not have a clubhouse yet so you have no place to change clothes (what I could see a couple of months back) but a couple of kiosks so you can have a refreshing drink.

In Waterford you should pay around 650 baht incl caddy in weekdays and maybe same weekend.

I hope you will have a good time here in Chiang Rai!

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

Let me point out a couple of facts to you.

!/ No one has the right to flame another member/ members with name calling.

2/ Trolling is nor permissible, if you would like to persist, perhaps a holiday to give you time to get reacquainted with forum rules might be needed.

If you do not have a sensible answer , please refrain from posting All future nonsensical, sarcastic & attempts to hijack a thread replies will be deleted & warnings issued.

Good info svenivan, thanks.

I have never played golf in Thailand....but would like to start.

What is a good course for a guy who is basically a (re) starter? (I haven't played for more than 10 years, and barely played to a 28 handicap even when I did play more regularly).

svenivan...

thanks for the info mate. Nice prices! I can afford those.

I've never played waterford, and at that price will surely have to include a round there when i get up to c rai. How does the course compare to the quality of santiburi?

And a new course that i'd not heard about. Is it close to town? Maybe i'm going to have to come for longer!

No doubt you must be enjoying your golf. This time of year is always a happy time for golfers!

Incidentally, highlands here in chiang mai are charging 1000 baht green fee every day. Bit more than the proposed 800 for some courses next month, but this fee lasts until end of october, and considering the outstanding quality of golf to be had there, represents a very good deal in my eyes.

What is a good course for a guy who is basically a (re) starter? (I haven't played for more than 10 years, and barely played to a 28 handicap even when I did play more regularly).

I assume you're in chiang rai, and no doubt the c rai golfers can help you better than me. But i do know there's a rather nice nine hole course next to the runway at the old airport. I enjoyed playing that as well as the bigger courses. From memory it won't break the bank to play there either.

Good info svenivan, thanks.

I have never played golf in Thailand....but would like to start.

I would advice you to go to Barry's golfcourse beside the old airport. Barry is, in my opinion, a very good golf teacher and if you take a couple of lessons with him and spend a couple of hours/days in the driving ranch you can go out on any of the courses in Chiang Rai.

Good Luck!

svenivan...

thanks for the info mate. Nice prices! I can afford those.

I've never played waterford, and at that price will surely have to include a round there when i get up to c rai. How does the course compare to the quality of santiburi?

And a new course that i'd not heard about. Is it close to town? Maybe i'm going to have to come for longer!

No doubt you must be enjoying your golf. This time of year is always a happy time for golfers!

Incidentally, highlands here in chiang mai are charging 1000 baht green fee every day. Bit more than the proposed 800 for some courses next month, but this fee lasts until end of october, and considering the outstanding quality of golf to be had there, represents a very good deal in my eyes.

Waterford can sometimes be even better than Santiburi. It is a tougher course and most people have a couple of more strokes on the scorecard in Waterford.

You can find more info about Happy City in this link:

I have played Highlands many times together with other guys from Chiang Rai. It is my favourite golfcourse in Chiang Mai.

Have fun in Chiang Rai!

Happy City looks like a happy place to play indeed!

Did the prices you mention carry on through to october do you know? It looks like the first real chance we're going to get to come to chiang rai for a golfing break will be in july.

Highlands is pure joy! Not surprised you like it.

• 1 month later...

I played in Waterford, Happy city, old airport and Mae Koh. Waterford is very nice course with beautiful scenery. Happy city is not scenery but beautiful course. Don't expect too much from the caddies at the Happy city. If you hit the ball, you better be able to located cuz caddies won't help. Mae Koh is not as good as either of them but since it's located in downtown, you can take tuk tuk. About 2.5km from Night Bazaar. Old airport is also near night bazaar. If you go there alone, they will charge you 350 or 400 for 18 hole (nine hole repeat). But you can buy yearly membership for very cheap and it will cost you 150 or 200. Depends on who you talk to. You can bypass caddy if you wish. I heard great things about Santiburi but did't get chance to play. I am looking for regular golf buddy once a week when I move there in July. If you are interested, please send me a message. I plan to purchase a pickup as soon as I can get my permanent visa so transportation is not a problem.