One Day Tourist Visa Overstay

I'm an American citizen, currently here on a 2-month tourist visa. My two months ends on May 1st, and I expect to be leaving Thailand on a flight from the BKK airport at 6:00 am on May 2nd. Paying the 500 baht overstay fee would be cheaper then paying 1900 baht to extend my visa for 30 days. My questions are:

1. Will I face any boarding delays/problems with my flight because of the overstay?;

2. Is there a long-term downside to having an overstay stamp in my passport?; and

3. Would it be possilbe for me to go through immigration very late on May 1st and stay in the aiport until my 6am flight to avoid the overstay?

Thanks for your help!

There''s no fine for a 1 day overstay if leaving on a plane.

No it won't hold you up.

No it doesn't affect your future applications (or at least, it didn't affect mine)

Not sure, I don't know if you'd be able to drop your luggage off that early - although you could check in for sure.

There will be a small dely of maybe 5 minutes, as the passport will be stamped as overstay (but no fine levied).

So far the stamp in the paspsort has no consequences, you can return the same day if you want.

Unless flying Thai, you can only drop off your luggage 3 hours before the flight and get your boarding pass. So you simply will be on overstay.

If you really want to avoid an overstay, you can apply for a 7 day extension of stay at immigration with your ticket, for 1,900 baht an a passport photo. But I would not be surprised if they turn you away and tell you to just go to the airport.

Ok thanks for your help. Sounds like, oddly, a 7 day extension would be the same price as a month extension, so no savings there. I think I'll just live with the overstay stamp in my passport. I'm glad to hear there is no fine at all for a one day overstay. Thanks again!

I shouldn't have signed off on the conversation so quickly. I have a follow-up question. :)

I'll be flying Delta to Japan that day. If I don't have any liquids in my bags, I think (but I'm not sure) I can carry on two bags (one overhead and one under the seat). If I went that route, could I check in for my 6 am flight at 11pm the night before, then go through immigration before midnight, and avoid the overstay issue altogether?

That may all be too much work just to avoid a stamp, but I'm curious whether that works. Thanks.

You need your boarding pass before you can go trough immigration. Your boarding pass will not be issued till the check-in counter is open (3 hours before flight), but might be different if you check-in online beforehand with only handluggage. Check the airline website about online check-in and if you still need to get our boarding pass at the check-in counter.

Hand luggage is usually limited to only 1 bag, but normally I fly economy.

There will be a small dely of maybe 5 minutes, as the passport will be stamped as overstay (but no fine levied).

So far the stamp in the paspsort has no consequences, you can return the same day if you want.

Unless flying Thai, you can only drop off your luggage 3 hours before the flight and get your boarding pass. So you simply will be on overstay.

If you really want to avoid an overstay, you can apply for a 7 day extension of stay at immigration with your ticket, for 1,900 baht an a passport photo. But I would not be surprised if they turn you away and tell you to just go to the airport.

If you come to Thailand without a tourist visa, and only the 30 day allowance for visiting, can you extend a trip an additional 7 days through the immigration authorities? If so, how much does it cost?

Please respond. Thanks.

Edited by ivan96822

Hi Guys new to the forum and read this and realized i am in the same boat I will be over staying by a day as the flight changed and ill be there a day early due to an earlier flight departure get in on the 31 as opposed to the first by 3 Hrs which overstays my 90 day visa by that day ,

Am I right in thinking that its a slap on the wrist on the way out or a 500bht fine at most even for a 90 day stay,Will the thai Imm address this when I extend for my extra 30 day extention of my 60 day visa , or on the safe side get a 2X 60 entry and slove the prob before i go .

Sounds confusing I know but i dont realy want a bad boy stamp in my Passport.

Thanks WAZZA

2x 60 means you have to make a border hop to activate the second entry

30d extension can be made at local immigration office

7d extension is available both on 30d visa exemption stamp on arrival and extended tourist visa (60 + 30 + 7).

Cost for all extensions is 1,900 Baht, Passport photo.

Overstay is 500Baht a day, maxing out at 20,000 Baht total.

First day of overstay is waived at the airport only.

But there is no 7 day extension of stay - that time is provided to pack out after making an unsuccessful application for extension of stay and can be used to increase stay 7 days but is at discretion of immigration officer and may require show of ticket out to obtain. Your passport will be stamped with extension of stay rejection so not sure it is any more positive than an allowed one day overstay stamp.

2x 60 means you have to make a border hop to activate the second entry

30d extension can be made at local immigration office

7d extension is available both on 30d visa exemption stamp on arrival and extended tourist visa (60 + 30 + 7).

Cost for all extensions is 1,900 Baht, Passport photo.

Overstay is 500Baht a day, maxing out at 20,000 Baht total.

First day of overstay is waived at the airport only.

If a 7 day extension is available on a 30 day visa exemption stamp, can you be denied this stamp?

What is the process one needs to go to in order to extend one's trip an additional 7 days with a 30 day visa exemption stamp?

Thanks for the speedy responses. Looking forward to getting these answers...

It is not an official extension and can be denied. Normally it is not denied, but would require show of a plane ticket out of the coutnry within those 7 days. You must go to an immigration office with your passport, a passport photo and copy of passport, ticket and 1,900 baht.

Just doing a border run would give you 15 days.

It is not an official extension and can be denied. Normally it is not denied, but would require show of a plane ticket out of the coutnry within those 7 days. You must go to an immigration office with your passport, a passport photo and copy of passport, ticket and 1,900 baht.

Just doing a border run would give you 15 days.

Thanks, Mario....Where would be the most convenient, easiest border run from BKK?

There are organized daily trips all inclusive for about 2k from several Bangkok providers (they can be found with Google and advertise in classified section of newspapers). Border with Cambodia is the crossing (different points).

I was under the thought that to start the second 60day visa I could go to the Imm office at Phuket without leaving the country ,or do you have to fly out and in like a visa run to activate it . sort of defeats the purpose of 2x60 visa's.

can anyone clarify this for me

Thank"s

I was under the thought that to start the second 60day visa I could go to the Imm office at Phuket without leaving the country ,or do you have to fly out and in like a visa run to activate it . sort of defeats the purpose of 2x60 visa's.

Thank"s

The double entry Tourist visa is not a "stay in Thailand for 6 months visa", it is intended for a tourist to visit Thailand and then depart for another country within 60 days (90 if the extension is applied for) then return to Thailand within the validity term of the visa, to continue their tourism. They then depart again within 60/90 days to pastures new.

Therefore departing Thailand is necessary to before activating the second entry.

Thank"s

The double entry Tourist visa is not a "stay in Thailand for 6 months visa", it is intended for a tourist to visit Thailand and then depart for another country within 60 days (90 if the extension is applied for) then return to Thailand within the validity term of the visa, to continue their tourism. They then depart again within 60/90 days to pastures new.

Therefore departing Thailand is necessary to before activating the second entry.

Thanks for the info that clears it up

There are organized daily trips all inclusive for about 2k from several Bangkok providers (they can be found with Google and advertise in classified section of newspapers). Border with Cambodia is the crossing (different points).

Regarding these organized daily trips, what is the itinerary like? Long bus ride to the border, then make a U-turn in Cambodia? How long does the process take from pick up to returning to Bangkok? Are they reliable/trustworthy? Any farang owners of such companies (not that they could be trusted anymore than anyone else, but curious to find out)?

I don't think an overstay in any case is a good idea, extend for 30 days and just leave when you have to. So you lose $45. Has to be better than an overstay on record as they do seem to be getting harsher all the time.

overstaying by a day is fine i guess, unless you get caught somewhere after 12am. overstay by a day twice, so far no issue on border crossing or by flight.

had a 7 day extension stamp on my passport as well, its actually an unapproved extension of stay allowing you just 7 days to leave the kingdom, guess cant really be denied since its unapproved in the first place. those who have this stamp could take a look at the stamp description

I don't think an overstay in any case is a good idea, extend for 30 days and just leave when you have to. So you lose $45. Has to be better than an overstay on record as they do seem to be getting harsher all the time.

Only a tourist visa can be extended by 30 days. The OP has a visa exempt entry, not a tourist visa.