U. S. Navy Ships Port Of Call Pattaya

Sojourn

I've made a few inquiries, and it seems that US Navy ships scheduled for port of call here is indeed kept strictly hush-hush.

It's a massive security risk. I would be suprised if you could find out before they get here. Loose lips sink ships.

edit - spelling.

Edited by dean999

^ Maybe the girls in Soi 6 or Walking Street know when they are coming biggrin.png

If you check in We Are The World Gogo on Beach Road most of the girls are normally booked out a few weeks before hand.

Humorous, but you may not be wrong.

I'm in the UK navy, we use that line.

Think about it......if you know the time and date of a ship coming into a port, you could plan an attack. It's happened before. One of are ships went alongside and lucky enough it was raining very hard, because it had screwed up a device that was timed to fire a RPG through the side of the ship. Google USS Cole for another story. In short. whilst in a bay, it was struck in the side with a speed boat packed full of explosives.

We have to be carefull about info.

Sometimes you'll see stories about organized projects the Sailors and Marines get involved with during liberty call, like the Father Ray Orphanage or community improvement, but I guess the general public doesn't find out about it until after the fact.

Nothing will be announced publicly until ships are definitely arriving and only a very few days notice will be given. When the ships are here, it is possible to join what public viewing tours they might have by turning up at the relevant port and taking your chances. Any communication with charity organisations for visits that many sailors sign up for will done with the same short notice and normally not publicly announced at all beforehand.

• Like 1

Nothing will be announced publicly until ships are definitely arriving and only a very few days notice will be given. When the ships are here, it is possible to join what public viewing tours they might have by turning up at the relevant port and taking your chances. Any communication with charity organisations for visits that many sailors sign up for will done with the same short notice and normally not publicly announced at all beforehand.

Best answer. Thanks

The Pattaya City Expats Club quite possibly gets advance notification of arrivals.

On 25 December 2011, they had a sign-up sheet at their for folks wanting to tour the USS Abraham Lincoln on 9 January 2012, so they had more than two weeks notice for that one, as well as organizing tours.

• Like 1

I've made a few inquiries, and it seems that US Navy ships scheduled for port of call here is indeed kept strictly hush-hush.

It's a massive security risk. I would be suprised if you could find out before they get here. Loose lips sink ships.

edit - spelling.

Recreational Activies for the Navy Guys are oganized well before they hit the shore, Also Hotel Rooms have to be bookend, Transport organized and so on. Its not a war zone around here, so I guess its not a problem. Btw. since the time of satellites its very hard to hide a ship anyway.

edit - spelling.

Recreational Activies for the Navy Guys are oganized well before they hit the shore, Also Hotel Rooms have to be bookend, Transport organized and so on. Its not a war zone around here, so I guess its not a problem. Btw. since the time of satellites its very hard to hide a ship anyway.

I didn't realise that when you book a hotel or an event you have to say you are coming in on a warship. I also didn't realise that terrorists had radar. WOW, how did you find that out.

You are correct about one thing.......Pattaya isn't a war zone. But answer me one question, do terrorists only live in war zones?

Every country i have visited, we always had a port authority. They deal with cranes, fuel, transport and a lot of other things. On the ship it's the job of my branch to contact them and tell them are requirments.

Hotels are booked by the people that want them. Not a group booking like you think. Not the ships problem if you don't want to sleep on the ship.

Yes, some places get contacted to try to get free tickets, but they are not given times or dates. They just normally say to us, you can go here or here. We normally find things to do on the internet and go.

If your knowledge of the navy is better than a serving member, please stand up and correct me or add your wealth of experiance.

• Like 2

50-60 years ago the bar ladies of Wanchai were remarkedly well informed. On arriving to assume HK Guardship duties for three weeks, Susie, my regular, told me USN come for 4 days next week so you come bar late then. I be OK for money for long time. Americans had to be back on board by midnight whereas we real sailors caroused all night. Susie was a freebie although I would help her out when she was broke - which wasn't often. Many of my shipmates had similar arrangements.

I remember her telling me you go Korea (Inchon) then you go Japan, Tokyo and Nagasaki, then you come back to me on number 27. Inchon I already knew about but ports of call in Japan had not been announced then. I think they knew more about ship's movements of any Navy than many of the sailors..

RN ships on the China Station always carried a Chinese 'firm'. This comprised 4 or 5 men who would attend to the laundry (no washing machines on destroyers or smaller ships), could knock you up a good quality handmade suit or handstitched shoes, repair items of kit and give haircuts. They lived on the deck and provided their own food. Having picked up a very modernised WW2 ship from her builders on the Clyde, we received the first letter from a Chinese 'firm' tending for our custom when we were working out of Greenock still testing and trialling everything. So much for Naval security.

You might want to ask Bobby Brooks who is the American Land Admiral of Pattaya. Currently laying low after being exposed by Andrew Drummond

lying low ?you can see him in person any day in jomtien in his office

he isn't hiding

maybe in your imaginary head

The berth in leam Chabang has suprisngly little or no security, its stands out by USM conatainers and row after row of humvies in desert cams. presumably stores have to be ordered weeks before to would not be difficult to find out. i am sure the movements are well tracked by the bad guys and passed on to who so ever they see fit.

Dont how they swing passed the wives after 6 month s at sea dropping off in Pattaya for some R & R

edit - spelling.

I didn't realise that when you book a hotel or an event you have to say you are coming in on a warship. I also didn't realise that terrorists had radar. WOW, how did you find that out.

You are correct about one thing.......Pattaya isn't a war zone. But answer me one question, do terrorists only live in war zones?

Every country i have visited, we always had a port authority. They deal with cranes, fuel, transport and a lot of other things. On the ship it's the job of my branch to contact them and tell them are requirments.

Hotels are booked by the people that want them. Not a group booking like you think. Not the ships problem if you don't want to sleep on the ship.

Yes, some places get contacted to try to get free tickets, but they are not given times or dates. They just normally say to us, you can go here or here. We normally find things to do on the internet and go.

If your knowledge of the navy is better than a serving member, please stand up and correct me or add your wealth of experiance.

I was working in Thailand and had contact to some Guys from the Ships. But to keep all safe I will not point out what I was working, I mean loose lips can sink dive boats too....

-Easy, ask a bar girl. The bars always seem to know when they are arriving. I suppose some of the boys in uniform write to them and let them know when they will be at port. Also, Hard Rock Cafe/Hotel seems to be the bus drop for them.

The American Embassy, NCIS and others meet Pattaya officials, Police etc. for briefings only days before any ship arrivals and certainly not weeks in advance Only well publicized big operations like Cobra might have advance dates. From my experience, bar girls do not know well in advance nor which ships are coming. It is possible some sailors or marines have been here before and may have contacts here but most have not been here before and ships are on a rotation. Anyway, I very much doubt that exact dates are given to the ships' crews well advance even if they have a general idea of the month they might come here. While many humanitarian relief exercises take place by some ships, all are on preparedness for action and it's silly to think that security is lacking.

The American Embassy, NCIS and others meet Pattaya officials, Police etc. for briefings only days before any ship arrivals and certainly not weeks in advance Only well publicized big operations like Cobra might have advance dates. From my experience, bar girls do not know well in advance nor which ships are coming. It is possible some sailors or marines have been here before and may have contacts here but most have not been here before and ships are on a rotation. Anyway, I very much doubt that exact dates are given to the ships' crews well advance even if they have a general idea of the month they might come here. While many humanitarian relief exercises take place by some ships, all are on preparedness for action and it's silly to think that security is lacking.

Once a ship visit's a port a report is writen about everything. From the problems ships company have ashore, to problems with services in that port i.e water supply, rubbish ect.

So, when a ship is going to a port, the past report or reports are sent to the ship. Most question are already answered by this report. Plus any further info that is need can be done via email or phone. Normally a ship has everything squared away by the time their alongside. There is normally not a lot of need for extra brief's. It's the same when you go on holiday, do you need the police to be waiting at the airport to give you a brief on the scams ect. Most places i have been to, the police are not interested anyway. Thats why we have shore pratrol's.

If the embassy was to visit the ship or any other influential people, it would be on the basis of being a V.I.P to a cocktail party.

Edit - forgot to say, ship's company normally know when they are going to a place and where they are going months in advance. The only problem is things change so much on a deployment that you take it with a pinch of salt. On my last deployment i was supposed to have visited some lovely countries but we had to stay down the Falklands an extra month. Then we just stopped in a couple of places on the way back and that was mostly for stores and fuel. Gutted.

Edited by dean999

Yes, but here they use Shore Liason Groups drawn from regular sailors and marines rather than dedicated Shore Patrol units and briefing is not just one way. Local authorities need to know and coordinate some things when 5,000 men and woman might be ashore over a few days. And that is done with Embassy staff, NCIS and various police groups here.

• Like 1

Yes, but here they use Shore Liason Groups drawn from regular sailors and marines rather than dedicated Shore Patrol units and briefing is not just one way. Local authorities need to know and coordinate some things when 5,000 men and woman might be ashore over a few days. And that is done with Embassy staff, NCIS and various police groups here.

Good point. I have only served on ships that have between 200 - 300 personel. 5000 is a big difference. biggrin.png