Australia Wants Thai Workers To Work In Its Construction Industry

webfact

I would think that they would have to be paid the going rate. That being the case, why pay so much for half the input and shoddy workmanship? Did I miss something in this post?sad.png

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that they would have to be paid the going rate. That being the case, why pay so much for half the input and shoddy workmanship? Did I miss something in this post?sad.png

Yes under Australian law all workers are treated equally and must be paid the paid equally whilst working in Australia. A little different for the hostesses the Australian airlines employ from Thailand because those hostesses operate out of Thailand.

Edited by chooka

Yes under Australian law all workers are treated equally and must be paid the paid equally whilst working in Australia. A little different for the hostesses the Australian airlines employ from Thailand because those hostesses operate out of Thailand.

Yes and No -

Under Australian law, they aren't allowed to discriminate and pay a foreign worker less than an Australian for an equivalent job grade... but doesn't stop them employing people on a lower job grade to do the same work... which is what they do with foreign workers...

Job descriptions are so vague that they are useless in determining a job grade, since 80% of the items are 'hygiene factors', work safely, non-discrimination, communication, and the 20% left are intentionally open ended to allow them to cover a wide range of roles...

I guarantee that they will be paying less for a Thai/Chinese engineer to complete the same job activity then they would an Aussie, Pom, Scott, Paddy, Yank or Canuk... They can get away with it, and would be failing their responsibility to their shareholders if they didn't do it...