Buying A Kindle In Chiang Mai?

PoodMaiDai

iPad sucks as an e-reader. It's fun for the kids to play Fruit Ninja, and... ... and that's it.

> if buying from online, there is heavy tax from amazon.

No, there isn't. There is a reasonable tax & duty from the Thai customs department, but if you use a non-scammy, non-worthless courier company then this isn't a huge issue. (i.e.: don't use Fed-Ex) I actually use regular registered mail wherever possible, as mentioned above.

I agree completely - the tablets are nice for reading magazines, but they are back-lit. The Kindle has no back light - you can read it in full sun and you need a light when it starts getting dark. It's the closest you can get to reading an actual book, and therefore very easy on the eyes (a day on the tablet will leave you with sore eyes). I bought a refurbished one from Amazon - a friend was coming to CM for holidays, so I had it delivered to his address and he stuck it in his suitcase. Check with friends and friends of friends if anyone knows anyone who is coming to Thailand for a holiday, doesn't have to be Chiang Mai, EMS (signed for) postage within Thailand would only be a couple of dollars for something so lightweight. I looked at the Kindle Fire, but went for the el-cheapo version and got an Android tablet for reading magazines/newspapers or watching video. Kindle is the most popular e-reader, so I would recommend it over others, but obviously it's the most popular for a reason - it really is the best. Even direct postage from overseas wouldn't be a lot because it is very lightweight. As for tax, I have had at least 12 individual small packages (some not so small, bigger than a shoe box) sent through the mail since the beginning of this year, most marked 'Gift - $10' and I've never had to pay tax.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You buy the Kindle online, direct from Amazon & it arrives in about one week. The B&N Nook is not available outside the U.S. and Sony do not sell their e-reader in Thailand and will not support/service one that is bought in another country. My Kindle is two years old & I use it daily to read newspapers, magazines and books. In this wet weather it is particularly convenient, as it is at all times. I have had no problems with carrying my Kindle all over the world & if you get the 3G + wi-fi model you can download items anywhere any time. The best thing I have bought in years.

I'm sorry to say that the two comments re SONY readers in Thailand are wrong; They recently repaired my PRS 600, bought in the UK and had the PRS-T1 on sale at their shop in Panthip in may 2012

You buy the Kindle online, direct from Amazon & it arrives in about one week. The B&N Nook is not available outside the U.S. and Sony do not sell their e-reader in Thailand and will not support/service one that is bought in another country. My Kindle is two years old & I use it daily to read newspapers, magazines and books. In this wet weather it is particularly convenient, as it is at all times. I have had no problems with carrying my Kindle all over the world & if you get the 3G + wi-fi model you can download items anywhere any time. The best thing I have bought in years.

I'm sorry to say that the two comments re SONY readers in Thailand are wrong; They recently repaired my PRS 600, bought in the UK and had the PRS-T1 on sale at their shop in Panthip in may 2012

My information came directly from Sony Thailand in early 2011. If they have changed their attitude that is good but as far as I am concerned I am now a committed Kindle owner and have nothing but good experiences. Yesterday I received an automatic system uprade at no cost so now have new fonts to choose.

• 4 weeks later...

Can any one tell me the difference between the Kindle Fire and the Amazon Paper White?

Are they e readers or a combination of e reader I pad?

The Kindle Fire is a 7 inch tablet, so it is back-lit and runs an Amazon developed OS based on Android. The Paperwhite is an e-reader with a new version of the original e-ink technology. So they are two different animals.

I am very interested in seeing a checklist of features and specs for the new Apple Mini I-pad; Amazon's Kindle Fire; Microsoft's Surface; and Google's Nexus 7. Need help in making decision on mini-tablet. Chiang Mai prices and availability.

If my primary uses of mini-tablet (while away from my big desktop monitor) would be viewing tv programs via SlingBox; viewing downloaded sporting events; viewing downloaded movies; Googling; and e-mail . . . . . but not reading books, should I rule out the Kindle? Screen resolution very important to me.

Do all these tablets have multiple USB ports? What about an HDMI port?

I am very interested in seeing a checklist of features and specs for the new Apple Mini I-pad; Amazon's Kindle Fire; Microsoft's Surface; and Google's Nexus 7. Need help in making decision on mini-tablet. Chiang Mai prices and availability.

Nexus 7 is in Chiang Mai, I believe at just under 10K. iPad mini probably didna't arrive yet, but will cost more than 10K. Kindle Fire HD I haven't seen.

Comparisons are all over the mobile / gadget sites, eg:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a434695/tablet-wars-ipad-mini-nexus-7-kindle-fire-nook-hd-compared.html

http://asia.cnet.com/ipad-mini-vs-nexus-7-galaxy-tab-7-7-and-kindle-fire-hd-62219243.htm

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411313,00.asp

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPad-mini-vs-Nexus-7-vs-Kindle-Fire-HD-size-comparison_id35869

If my primary uses of mini-tablet (while away from my big desktop monitor) would be viewing tv programs via SlingBox; viewing downloaded sporting events; viewing downloaded movies; Googling; and e-mail . . . . . but not reading books, should I rule out the Kindle? Screen resolution very important to me.

Not really. You should rule out the e-ink readers for the above, but not the Kindle Fire HD which has a nice screen from what I've read. Screen wise it's important to note that the iPad mini has the old 4:3 ratio (more old-style TV size), the others have a 16:9 ratio, making for a narrower tablet (easier to carry) and it's more suted to watching 16:9 wide screen content, which is actually most content these days.

Do all these tablets have multiple USB ports? What about an HDMI port?

Check the specs. Apple always has been famous for not allowing USB ports or anything else that might make it feasible for people to skip using their iTunes gravy train. a HDMI adapter is available though; check the specs for the others.

If you are reading and an avid one, invest in a kindle, I have 3 of their earlier versions and with the 3G one, you can donwload with no issues in most countries in Asia. With the wifi version, it works great and at $69 is a great investment for the size, weight and portability. I currently have the 3G one for more than 2 years and it is going strong.

If you have a little more spare cash, the kindle white is a great one as it has a backlight that is non-glaring and weighs marginally heavier. The small memory is not a problem at all...at 4GB with my 3G one, I am nowhere near capacity as I have about 200 books and space for another 2000 more.

If you enjoy movies etc and such, then consider the new kindle fire which spec for spec for someone has got good wifi speed can stream movies and TV series for free for $79 a year with the amazon prime membership. It comes with other perks etc that are useful for some.

The Kindle Spec is much better as a tablet and cheaper than the ipad but the ipad 4 and the ipad mini is just so pretty and well made, that's the edge apple has !

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been discussed, but B2S is apparently a Kindle dealer.

http://kindle-thailand.in.th/en/

However, the Kindle is 69 USD from Amazon and 4890 THB (about 150 USD) from B2S. I have to believe that the shipping and duty will not come to 80 USD if you buy direct from Amazon! It might be a chance to check them out, though, if B2S keeps them in stock.

If yours is out of warranty and they give you a low price on a new one do they transfer all the books on the old one on to the new one or do you need to buy them again?

i presume that books bought officially through your amazon account should still be present in your account and transfer across easily enough. if they did not i'd be a bit pissed off and would be writing a nasty email to amazon.

ebooks you have not bought through amazon you can just copy and paste across from wherever you've got them stored/downloaded.

Just bought a new Kindle Paperwhite model. Sold my Kindle that I bought last year. Amazon is not shipping the new Paperwhite model outside the US yet, still trying to fulfill US demand. Had it shipped to a friend who carried it over. New model is well worth it.

Just bought a new Kindle Paperwhite model. Sold my Kindle that I bought last year. Amazon is not shipping the new Paperwhite model outside the US yet, still trying to fulfill US demand. Had it shipped to a friend who carried it over. New model is well worth it.

paperwhite is available in the UK now. had confirmation from them this week that mine will be delivered by december 14th.

I wouldn't bother with them myself. I had a Kindle for a while, and although the screen was very good it's an otherwise entirely useless invention. Get the kindle app for any android smart zone and read your books wherever you are, with a pocket sized device you carry around anyway.

it's an otherwise entirely useless invention

so very much like a 'book' then?

Pretty much, but a book costs 300-1000 THB and once I've read it I can lend it to someone, give it to someone, swap it for another one or put it on my shelf and read it again in a couple of years, or give it to my kids to read in 20 years.

A Kindle costs significantly more, the books are no cheaper and it's not really even any more convenient to read than a book anyway. Get the Kindle app (or any other ebook app) on your mobile and it is a lot more convenient, and cheaper, although still misses the other advantages listed above of a paper book.

However I have the Kindle DX so I can read comfortably without hurting my eyes trying to read on a small screen such as the various smart phones/tablets.I have never had any trouble with my Kindle over the last 24 months.When i travel I take the Kindle for reading and my Ipad for internet access such as emails/etc instead of lugging my rather heavy 17inch laptop.However I would never use my Ipad for reading as the screen refresh rate will give you a headache whereas the Kindle does not.

On the downside the Kindle Fire does not have the whispernet feature to download your purchased books/magazines etc It has only Wifi.This I regard as a backward step on the part of Amazon.I am sure the accountants stepped in...........

However I have the Kindle DX so I can read comfortably without hurting my eyes trying to read on a small screen such as the various smart phones/tablets.I have never had any trouble with my Kindle over the last 24 months.When i travel I take the Kindle for reading and my Ipad for internet access such as emails/etc instead of lugging my rather heavy 17inch laptop.However I would never use my Ipad for reading as the screen refresh rate will give you a headache whereas the Kindle does not.

On the downside the Kindle Fire does not have the whispernet feature to download your purchased books/magazines etc It has only Wifi.This I regard as a backward step on the part of Amazon.I am sure the accountants stepped in...........

I complexly agree with you about the Kindle DX. When I have read all the books I have I will be able to justify one.

I like many others am aging and my eyes are not getting any better. So the larger print with out having to turn a page every paragraph seems like the logical choice foe me. I measured the print on a paper back one day and it was 6 and 3/8 inches. The normal kindle is 6 inches and the DX has about 2 and 3/8 times more viewing area. That is the one thing I really take more serious than my other senses my eye sight is more important.

Like I say I have a lot of books now but when they are gone it will be Amazon for me. Maybe they will have a better machine by then.

it's an otherwise entirely useless invention

so very much like a 'book' then?

No, more useful than a book you just read.

A Kindle costs significantly more, the books are no cheaper and it's not really even any more convenient to read than a book anyway. Get the Kindle app (or any other ebook app) on your mobile and it is a lot more convenient, and cheaper, although still misses the other advantages listed above of a paper book.

Are you supposed to pay for e-books?

I thought they were all free.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Has anyone tried these guys: http://ereaderthailand.lnwshop.com/

or

would it be better to order one fromAmazon, have it sent to someone in the United States, who then sends it to me by USPS

The model I want (paperwhite) is not available for international shipment direct from Amazon.

Thanks for any advice.

T

Ordered a Kobo glo yesterday. Delivery time 18 days.

Quick reaction to emails so just hope for the best.

Seems to be someone at CMU.

Reason for not Kindle is the limited support for other formats, I prefer the EPUB format.

If you read one thing on this subject:

1. Get the Kindle directly from Kindle. Duty and taxes are a fact of life.

2. Get the 3G model if you want to buy books from the beach or are travelling (Amazon will send the book to you "through-the-air" for "free". Disclaimer: They charge a dollar or more to "international customers" for most books.)

3. Don't fret about the wall charger: Most (if not) all USB chargers will work OK. Or else plug it into your PC/Mac

4. You can use the Kindle app on the iPad but the reading experience is NOT the same ie you can't read in bright sunshine and you have a shorter battery life on the iPad

5. If your Kindle "dies" just re-boot it (full instructions on the Amazon support site)

Bottom-line: Get the regular Kindle e-reader.

BTW: There are loads of free books available at Amazon. Go to the e-books site and use the drop-down menu to show "Price: Low to High". That will bring up up all the free books (limit that to books published in the last 30 days else you will end with with some really old books!) Enjoy!

I agree with the reviews here, I have all 4 generations of Kindle and have to say for those that enjoy reading, this is unbeatable. Their most basic model on wifi starts at USD$69 and carrys 1000 books with great font size and direct access to buy books or download the old ones for free.

Compared to the kindle app on my ipod touch which I also have for reading on red eye flights, the kindle does not strain your eyes and is great for extended reading.

The weight is the winner here compared to an ipad even the ipad mini ...if you read for 5 mins and get bored the ipad has the advantage but if you read for 30 mins or more, the one hand operation of the kindle is unbeatable.

Dont worry abt the ads, they do not affect the reading experience and appear only on the screen saver mode, plus some of the offers are really great ones and not spam.

With the battery life, the weight and the superios screen, the $69 basic model is unbeatable right now.