Beer Lao... Where To Buy In Chiang Mai?

65Craig

When I got back I bought some at Rimping Supermarket near the Airport, but they are out (don't know when they are getting it back in stock). So is the Rimping by the Iron Bridge. I did a topic search and a very old one said they sell cases of Beer Lao at Makro, so I took a drive to the one on the Super Highway, and they didn't carry Beer Lao.

I know of a few bars that sell it, like MadDog's who have it on their menue for 75 baht (small bottle), but I'm wondering if there are any stores anymore that stock it (Regular or Dark, it doesn't matter).

Any help would be appreciated (even if it's a just a suggestion for a reasonable priced, good tasting and satisfying non-Thai beer).

I always have been able to get it at the Makro, 108, the Hang Dong Makro....

Was never able to find it at the Superhighway Makro

I really like the stuff..... good beer........ about 2, maybe 3 a month, just to rotate the stock of course.

g

Edited by Gonzo the Face

The shop on Huai Kaeo Road near Phoucome Hotel intersection always has Lao beer in stock (light and dark). It's on opposite side from "71 Export," closer to intersection.

The above seems to be the most reliable place in town, but Makro Hang Dong usually stock the light and sometimes the dark but were sold out last week. Up till now most of the Beer Lao for sale has been an August 2011 batch (noticed it again with the Beer Lao sold at River Market this Monday), must have been a big shipment that is now running out.

Beer Lao at Makro Hang Dong comes and goes mainly because when its in store people realy plunder the stock. One of the girls told me that Makro just can't get enough stock to satisfy demand suggesting its being rationed from the supplier.

The shop on Huai Kaeo Road near Phoucome Hotel intersection always has Lao beer in stock (light and dark). It's on opposite side from "71 Export," closer to intersection.

Thanks Mekong Bob (and the rest)!!! Just picked up a case of the regular Beer Lao Lager (950 Baht for 24 bottles). For what it's worth, this was October 20, 2011 batch.

Edited by 65Craig

The name of the store mentioned above is Luxsana.

Located on the NE corner of the intersection of Huay Kaew Rd. and Canal Rd., next to the police box.

Can't miss it; huge billboard, etc.

They are a wholesaler who also do a brisk retail business.

They've gotten probably half a million baht from me in the past 6 years....burp.gif

Located on the NE corner of the intersection of Huay Kaew Rd. and Canal Rd., next to the police box.

They've gotten probably half a million baht from me in the past 6 years....burp.gif

Do you have a phone number for the Luxsana store? I need to order some beer laos, cheers.

Do you have a phone number for the Luxsana store? I need to order some beer laos, cheers.

Sure.

053-221-872, 053-215-588, or 053-219-023. Fax: 053-215-589

:)

Sure.

053-221-872, 053-215-588, or 053-219-023. Fax: 053-215-589

smile.png

Just another thumbs up thumbsup.gif for Luxana - I haven't found a cheaper store anywhere in CNX for beer, wine or spirits. For example they currently sell a litre of Benmore Four Casks casks for Bht 400 -- that's 30-50 Baht cheaper than most others, and 60-70 Baht cheaper than Rimping at the last check.

I've watched this shop grow from a hole in the wall years ago to the huge shop front they have today, and they deserve the success, albeit the lady who is most often running the show is a bit grumpy. (Maybe she's nicer when she's had a tipple) The male manager/owner is more chatty & customer-friendly.

They used to deliver in the area, order by phone, cash on delivery at your house. Don't know if they still do - if so, it's a handy service if you're throwing a party etc., and have a large order.

I wish them well.