Need An Old Honda Chaly Or Yamaha Chappie

HughJass

My girlfriend has two aunts who are twins and both suffer from Achondroplasia or Dwarfism to you and me

they have just turned 50 and both live together in a small wooden house in a village outside CM

with advancing age they are finding it hard to get around outside of the house...they would really like to be able to have some form of transport but a conventional motorcycle is out of the question due to their height...just recently i saw a Honda Chaly with a small sidecar attached that had a Honda Wave engine inserted in the frame which i realised might be sutaible for them with some modifications to the seat height etc

the ladies would be paying for the project themselves with a budget of around 10,000 baht

the local village m/c guy would be doing the work

i said i would try and source the parts to begin

a Honda Chaly or Yamaha Chappie non runner (the latter is probably better due to the central spine being lower)but either will suffice

a write off Honda Dream/Wave with electric start.....need engine,wiring loom, start switch etc

any leads on the above plus any advice on the project would be welcome.thanks

post-155264-0-17078500-1337000146_thumb.

post-155264-0-26762600-1337000170_thumb.

post-155264-0-51692000-1337000198_thumb.

I have built one of these in the past and am building one now.

There are plenty for sale for decent prices around Chiang Mai,

You can hit the Saturday market Gat nua (i always mispronounce this) out in San Patong.

There are a few for sale around Wat Pong Noi / Umong

www.mocyc.com and chalythailand.com

I saw a Chappy for sale outside of Robinson. When you come out of the parking lot from the side (Highway 108) immediately there is a mechanic on the right hand side with a blue chappy.

You can find plenty of engines on those websites as well.

Might be able to find a 100cc Chaly for under 10k

Take your time, the price of Chaly's have skyroceted in the last few years. They used to be 3k, now you can find lots of people asking 5-8k for a stock one.

I don't have much experience with the Chappy, but they might even be cheaper.

Might be able to put on a Yamaha Belle engine, and those bikes are cheaaaapp.

Sorry, I kinda let this post flow with my thoughts.

I have built one of these in the past and am building one now.

There are plenty for sale for decent prices around Chiang Mai,

You can hit the Saturday market Gat nua (i always mispronounce this) out in San Patong.

There are a few for sale around Wat Pong Noi / Umong

www.mocyc.com and chalythailand.com

I saw a Chappy for sale outside of Robinson. When you come out of the parking lot from the side (Highway 108) immediately there is a mechanic on the right hand side with a blue chappy.

You can find plenty of engines on those websites as well.

Might be able to find a 100cc Chaly for under 10k

Take your time, the price of Chaly's have skyroceted in the last few years. They used to be 3k, now you can find lots of people asking 5-8k for a stock one.

I don't have much experience with the Chappy, but they might even be cheaper.

Might be able to put on a Yamaha Belle engine, and those bikes are cheaaaapp.

Sorry, I kinda let this post flow with my thoughts.

thanks for your input......the engine would have to have an electric start due to them not being able to use the kickstart..the original engine would be ditched due to its small size for pulling a sidecar and the fact they dont have the elctric start

Unfortunatly, I don't think that with a 10.000 baht budjet you will find or be able to buy or build a modified Chaly bike with a electric start engine.

Chaly bikes are VERY popular and very seldom do you find a great deal on them unless they are totally thrashed.Any Thai that has one will understand the value of thease little gems, and won't let it go cheap.

Iv'e seen bare frames go for as much as 4000B. Most come with 50 or 70cc enginges and then there is the rare full automatic version.

Although Many after market parts are avaiable for them, the price does add up very quickly when modifiing them.

A dream 100cc will bolt right in will a few mod's and a wave 125 engine requires somemore fabrication.

I stop and ask everytime I see one for sale, and havent (in my opinion) found a good deal in a long time.

Fun project and a good cause though.You might have to help them out with that budjet.

Unfortunatly, I don't think that with a 10.000 baht budjet you will find or be able to buy or build a modified Chaly bike with a electric start engine.

Chaly bikes are VERY popular and very seldom do you find a great deal on them unless they are totally thrashed.Any Thai that has one will understand the value of thease little gems, and won't let it go cheap.

Iv'e seen bare frames go for as much as 4000B. Most come with 50 or 70cc enginges and then there is the rare full automatic version.

Although Many after market parts are avaiable for them, the price does add up very quickly when modifiing them.

A dream 100cc will bolt right in will a few mod's and a wave 125 engine requires somemore fabrication.

I stop and ask everytime I see one for sale, and havent (in my opinion) found a good deal in a long time.

Fun project and a good cause though.You might have to help them out with that budjet.

yes would be looking for a trashed one with a knackered engine....the idea is to build something functional rather than beautiful as it will only be used within a km or two of their home to visit the shop or friends

What we're saying that even trashed and knackered you are looking at 4-6k

I just bought one that has a non-working 50cc engine, but modified fork, swingarm and handle bars for 6500B and that was because I was a friend. It has been precut to fit a 100cc+ honda engine.

Now, you can build a 100cc chaly for under 10k if you take your time. But a 100cc chaly with Electric start and a side cart is going to take a lot of wheeling and dealing. First step is to take rides out away from towns and locate some knackered chaly and pray you can get one for 5k or less. Then search online for a dream engine, you're going to have to browse through thai websites. Maybe 4-6k for an electric start engine.

I just wanted to jump in on what Gonzo is saying. I think it's awesome what you are trying to do, i don't mean to come off negative and say "you CAN'T" I just want know to know what to expect. Since I love these bikes, I am always on the look out for more, so I will keep searching and if I find any leads, I will PM you.

There's only one question I can't answer, and that's "What electric start engine will fit on a Yamaha Chappy with little to no modification?".

There is a small hole in the wall shop past The Pun Pun but on the right going north.Maybe Gonzo can help here !

This guy specializes in c65/c70/early Honda. and should be able to help. His name is Beer. Have seen Chalys there before.

He is a mate of mine for quite a few years, but dont blame me if he cant sell one at the right price to you !

To the OP, I admire your attitude to help out any one that is physically disadvantaged..

I just wanted to jump in on what Gonzo is saying. I think it's awesome what you are trying to do, i don't mean to come off negative and say "you CAN'T" I just want know to know what to expect. Since I love these bikes, I am always on the look out for more, so I will keep searching and if I find any leads, I will PM you.

There's only one question I can't answer, and that's "What electric start engine will fit on a Yamaha Chappy with little to no modification?".

the chappy i spoke about in my PM had a Honda Wave 110 engine that fitted snugly underneath the frame,it seemed to have been attached by two studs in the top of the engine onto a cross piece between the frame.it looked as if it was meant to be there

I'm not a chappy guy, but if it the Honda motor mounts line up all you have to be concerned about is the offset of the counter shaft in relation to the rear sprocket. So that the chain is in perfect alignment.

I was at the coffee shop by the lake at CM university today with my g/f when a thai guy turned up on a small electric two wheeled scooter that he bought off the internet..on talking with him it turned out hes a final year engineering student at the Uni and suggested that we may be able to get one of the students there to custom build some sort of electric powered trike as part of his degree project..he is going to consult the teachers and ask around the students for us so fingers crossed we can get something purpose built for the cost of the parts.....if it works out i will start a new thread on this subject...thanks to all the posters for their input

• Like 1

Is there any bike shop in Chiang Mai who would sell a complete new engine kit?

Maybe hopefully a Honda EX5 Dream 100cc complete with electrics and carburator.

I'm looking at kick-start type. Or perhaps anyone can suggest any other engine models for a 70cc Chaly scoot?

I'm sure you could buy a complete new engine kit but that would get expensive.

Your best bet is to find a deal on a complete roller/donor bike, use what you need and sell of the rest of the parts.(I'd buy the rolling frame from you)

A complete used engine is hard to find. A dream/wave 100/125 is a good choice.

Buy it even if it doesn't run, cheap to rebuild.

I saw a pretty low to the ground dream with side cart and it got me thinking. What's stopping you from getting a electric start dream and replacing the wheels with 13" from a mio and lowering the bike to meet their requirements?

Good idea but, The seat/handle bar relationship to the foot pegs will still be the same.

Kablooie, replied to your PM. But I am going to add the general info here in case others are interested.

Chinese engines like Lifan and Koyo can be had in 110cc, 125cc, and 150cc for 6500-10,000baht. You can even get an electric start.

These are plug and play out of the box, just cut the chaly enough so that they fit and bolt it on and go.

Other options include Honda dream/wave engines. in 110, 110, and 125cc variants.

Honda Nice in 110 and 125cc. I am planning onmaking my Honda Nice engine 150cc from 110cc

The Honda Nice is also known as an XRM outside of Thailand

And then I believe the c70 engines fit as well.

HighonThai: Good point about the seat etc, didn't think of that.

HughJass: If you are still looking, I saw some shops with about 3 Chappys outside, don't know if they were for sale or not. This was over in the Wat Umong area.

Guys,

Here is a great used parts shop 1000's of used motorcycle parts at very good prices.

I've been buying from them for years. Sorry but don't know the telephone number, address or for that matter the name of the place.

They have everything.

18°47'1.02"N

99° 4'24.72"E

used motorcycle parts shop.kmz

Edited by highonthai

• 10 months later...

@ BlackArtemis and highonthai - can you guys please make a thread about Chaly modifications like what after market parts would fit a Chaly such as rims, fenders, seat, etc?.. I really love watching modified Chaly's in your country and it inspires me to build one and I want to learn more about Chaly modification. I'm from the Philippines by the way and 'im looking to buid my own Chaly in the future. I don't mind if i start from scratch. Chaly is really very rare here in my country so i guess my very best option is to source out the parts. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by grantzkie