New Toyota 400k

jackr

We went to the Auto show the first part of December. A friend of my wifes wated us to find out info about this car. When I questioned the sales ladies about when will this car hit the market, they said they did not know. the other day I saw one on the road. Just proves my point what I said two years ago, that the sales ladies that sell cars in thailand do not know Didley squat about product knowledge. Would not last one month in the U.S.

Barry

We went to the Auto show the first part of December. A friend of my wifes wated us to find out info about this car. When I questioned the sales ladies about when will this car hit the market, they said they did not know.  the other day I saw one on the road. Just proves my point what I said two years ago, that the sales ladies that sell cars in thailand do not know Didley squat about product knowledge. Would not last one month in the U.S.

Barry

Which one, the car or the saleslady? :o

The sales lady would definitely not last a week, let alone a month!

As far as this new car goes, maybe it would last longer than the sales lady. It sounds like the Yaris which was due about now. I had heard from my brother-in-law that Toyota was going to launch their version of the Honda Jazz so this must be it. I've ridden in a Honda Jazz with a manual transmission and it had decent acceleration. However the Jazz is very light and the front end looks a bit weak if you hit something with it.

I just looked at some pics of the Yaris; it's hard to believe this is a MPV as it's even shorter than the Jazz. It looks a lot like the Opel from the outside yet it has a minivan like interior. Speaking of minivans I really like the full size Dodge Caravans. Over here they would be a hassle when it came to parts plus they have a bad reputation for transmission failure. They offer plenty of space and drive like a dream though.

Hang on, wasn't Yaris the original Vios? Toyota made Vios based on Yaris platform specifically for Asian market? Exactly the same as Honda did with it's Fit (Jazz) making it into a City?

Haven't we gone a full cirlce on this?

Derivative City flopped, original Jazz prospered. Derivative Vios triumphed, what would be the fate of Yaris?

if i'm not mistaken, the Vios was originally developed for the Chinese market and is based on the Yaris platform.

I think there has always been a belief that hatchbacks would not sell well in Thailand. However, the Jazz has broken the mould and i think Toyota are bringing out the Yaris to challenge the Jazz, which currently doesn't have a direct competitor.

The Yaris will be around 50,000 more expensive than the Vios, making it around the same price or a little more than the Jazz (550k+). Yaris is a pretty big step up in terms of quality from the Vios.

60% of Honda's Thai sales are the Jazz. The Yaris might hurt Honda. CR-V sales are almost non-existant after the Fortuner arrived, and the Jazz, although still a neat little car, might find it hard to match the Yaris with new technology and very modern interior design.

One thing that probably contributes to the popularity of the Jazz is the price tag; the Civic and Accord are way too expensive for most people here. The only new vehicles that aren't overpriced for what you get are the diesel pickups.

About 40% of the cars in Europe are diesel and many of them are pretty compact due to the narrow roads in many countries. If we had those types of cars here it would be great.

The Jazz is abysmally low....

OK for Holland but I wouldn't dream of owning ANY saloon car in Thailand let alone a Jazz or anything like it. Scraping the bottom is an everyday problem here.

Did they not supply you with any tyres then? :o

The Jazz is abysmally low....

OK for Holland but I wouldn't dream of owning ANY saloon car in Thailand let alone a Jazz or anything like it. Scraping the bottom is an everyday problem here.

Personally I have never experienced this problem and I drive a saloon car that is even lower than stock.

The one thing you do have to look out for are potholes which can easily break your wheels if you hit them at speed.

Guys Im not really sure if the Yaris would be sold at around 400K, it should be more!!!

It may not be the Yaris...someone else mentioned it. I've heard that the Aygo is even cheaper than the Yaris, but not sure it's coming to Thailand??

I am sure it is the Yaris coming to Thailand.

Yes, exactly since the Jazz went very very well, Toyota tried to block it straight away with the Diahatsu thing from Indo the Avanza, but that isn't really anywhere near as cool as the jazz.

This is the actual one.

The other thing looks like that joint project between Toyota, Renault, Peguot for some sort of tiny tiny car to match some sort of Euro regulations?

I don't think most THai people would want a car much smaller than a Jazz; the Daihatsus the really tiny ones are considered a 'rot krabong' already and didn't sell too well, and 500k is not much for a car anyway. Most people in BKK are able to buy that, whereas upcountry, a pick up is probably more practical unless living in the cities. The NV from nissan is only 400k about I think, and it isn't a best seller, so that kind of puts paid to the theory if there was a 400k car you'd make a killing. People do compare and choose based on more than just price. New model often outsells old, and so on.

The City is an ugly sod compared to the jazz, and the Yaris looks sharp, I think it will do well; the pics I saw were AFAIR a 5 door, but I was drunk at the time so I could be wrong. 3 door would be quite a move; haven't seen too many 3 door hatches here for quite a while.

Being Toyota, why would they price less than Honda? They know they can price higher, my guess is they will price about the same. For sure Honda will suffer; since the CRV malarky last year, I think their only hope is the new Civic, which I do hear to be mighty nice.

Speaking of cars smaller than the Jazz we saw a "Smart Car" in Ayuthaya today. This car makes the Mini Cooper like like a full sized sedan! My folks rented one in Europe but it was a hassle to drive; the transmission is electronically controlled/regulated to save fuel so it won't let you go very fast.

Honda always prices its cars a little bit higher than Toyota - they think they've got a strong brand image worth a premium.

Toyota, btw, priced Avanza higher then Vios - one more reason why it didn't go anywhere.

City and Vios are same price though.

From what I read the Yaris will be out this month. It will cost about 50k more than the Vios. It will have the same engine as the Vios too. It's a brand new platform though. The Vios is based on the old version 1 Yaris. This new Yaris will be at least as much if not slightly more than the Jazz.

The Avanza is priced higher than the Vios because:

1: It's a big car - The Avanza is a 7 seater! Nothing like the Vios.

2: It's imported from Indonesia completely built up, where as the Vios is built here

I think the Avanza is really good value for money at below 600k. The Yaris will cost more despite being a fair bit smaller.

Personally I think that this 400k car is not going to happen. The Yaris is going to be high 500k - 700k much like the Jazz.