Expoerting A Honda 125 To The Uk?

Kf6vci

If so, maybe you would like to share the costs? I am considering shipping a new bike via air cargo to the UK. Or would Long chabang (spelling?) be the better option? Cheers, Chris

Air cargo ... wow ... you are going for a expensive bike . Just container transport is much , much cheaper . You don't need the full container ??? No problem , they can rent out spaces inside the container , like 1/2 , or 1/4 or 1m3 ... etc etc . Would take a while , probably about 6 weeks but the price difference , well it is worth it .

Wouldn't you need to be sure that the Thai bike meets the specs of the authorities in the UK or the EU? Those standards or specifications can be ridiculous. However, the Honda dealers in the UK do sell, for example, a CBR125 that appears to be a smaller-displacement CBR150. I think it lists for around 2500 sterling, or 175,000 baht. By reading Brit motorcycling magazines such as TWO, it's obvious the editors think no UK resident would want anything smaller than a 600, but that's typical motojournalism.

Sorry but I think you will find that the locally made Hondas do not meet the UK/Euro emmission specs and if correct you could be in for a nightmare experience.

I am involved with a project that is using the Honda 5.5 HP engine and the specs for these are also very different and these engines do have on them a sticker saying not to be used in Europe, USA and Australia.

Wouldn't you need to be sure that the Thai bike meets the specs of the authorities in the UK or the EU? Those standards or specifications can be ridiculous. However, the Honda dealers in the UK do sell, for example, a CBR125 that appears to be a smaller-displacement CBR150. I think it lists for around 2500 sterling, or 175,000 baht. By reading Brit motorcycling magazines such as TWO, it's obvious the editors think no UK resident would want anything smaller than a 600, but that's typical motojournalism.

THE PARTS PB THE PARTS - where would you get CBR150 parts in the UK for you might be stranded for months without a bike.

Happy New Year.

If you have owned the bike for 12 months in Thailand you can import it into the UK - but to get it registered you must pass an MOT.

That includes the emmission control part - but there is an exception for import vehicles. If you can prove the emmission control regulations in the country of manufacture then the bike only has to meet those standards and not the UK standard.

Mind finding your little MOT shop that can find that regulation and getting proof of the Thai regulations could be hard. I have never managed it for a car imported from South Africa.

It really is not much of a problem, i tend to put a couple of bikes in the container everytime i ship tuk tuks.

The hardest part for you will be getting the right paperwork to allow you to ship.

We tend to give the driver 500bht to go and have a drink and then load, import into the uk is no problem but you will need all the bikes paperwork for customs duty.

Once in the UK you must book an MSVA test with your local VOSA testing station, for uk use the lights are fine as the headlights tend to be what is called a flat beam.

Remember a 150cc bike is not much use with the current power regs in the uk.

Mike.

THE PARTS PB THE PARTS - where would you get CBR150 parts in the UK for you might be stranded for months without a bike.

Happy New Year.

Oh, but of course, the parts the parts the parts the parts. Thanks for setting this gay man straight, Mr. Aitchison. But from what I've seen in magazines such as TWO, the CBR125 has all the same parts except maybe the bore and stroke. So, unless you're replacing piston, rings, or crank parts, it shouldn't be a problem. Mine's gone 33,000 without the slightest sign of internal wear. We can assume that the Honda distributor for the UK would keep a parts inventory, computerized, just as your local Somchai or Cedric in inner Bangkok has a computerized list of parts for Aprilias and 1962 Bonnevilles.

But you're right, of course. Happy New Year to you, too.

TWO magazine is terrible.

When I was back in the UK I read a quarterly magazine called RPM - Real Proper Motorbikes - crap name but it was made by a disgruntled employ from one of the leading tabloid magazines.

Good long reviews no <deleted>.

I will see if I can get the next copy.

I recommend that you forget about exporting the CBR150 to UK. there are no customers waiting.

150 cc is not learner legal and guys with a full licence dont tend to buy 150 cc motorcycles. be hard to sell them....i already investigated this idea.

But if there are no customers for 125's and 150's in the UK, why does Honda sell two such models there? Agreed, probably nobody buys them except teenagers and folks who operate driving schools. The motomags (not just TWO) are so fixated on large-displacement bikes that the ones with 40 or 50 horsepower are hardly mentioned, and the ones with 30 hp or less are never mentioned, except as jokes. That's because bikes in developed countries are toys for big boys, not transportation vehicles. It's just the opposite in Thailand. for 99.5% of all Thais.

With the cost of fuel in the UK i would have thought there would be a huge market for 125s as commuter bikes.

How much is it worth to sit in a nice warm car, as opposed to freezing your whatnots off on a bike? Toys for boys sounds about right to me :o

If so, maybe you would like to share the costs? I am considering shipping a new bike via air cargo to the UK. Or would Long chabang (spelling?) be the better option? Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris

Not sure how keen the UK authorities would be. Some of the indicators I have seen on the bikes, e.g. green with unusual flashing pattern would certainly not be accepted on Uk roads. :o

Hi Chris

Not sure how keen the UK authorities would be. Some of the indicators I have seen on the bikes, e.g. green with unusual flashing pattern would certainly not be accepted on Uk roads. :o

If you buy a new bike it should come with all the right coloured lights, not the christmas trees on wheels they have here.

But if there are no customers for 125's and 150's in the UK, why does Honda sell two such models there?

Sorry, i did not make myself clear. The CBR125 is very popular with learners and tends to be retained by riders for their 2 year provisional period before the BHP and cc limit is lifted.

The Thai built cbr150 is unrestricted and not learner legal, you cant ride one in the UK with L plates.

This fact makes the bike a dead duck in the uk.

I dont think the CBR 150 is available through Honda Uk, although it is interesting to note that the 150 cc engine is the same unit that is fitted in the 2006 Honda CRF150F motorcross bike.

The thing I found curious about the CBR125 in the UK is that the price, originally quoted around 3,000 pounds and now at 2,500 pounds, reflects an import tarriff of maybe 70% of its landed value. Now, why is that? The only UK bike manufacturer I'm aware of, Triumph, makes bikes between 600cc and 2,300 cc. Bikes below 500cc pose no threat to the labor force in the UK. And, as someone pointed out, tiny bikes are so miserly on petrol that they should be encouraged. Lastly, as another pointed out, who'd want to drive a 125 in the cold and the wet?

Nah, just go back to the UK and buy a bike that's proper for the UK.

Don't the Welsh make a proper bike? Isn't there a factory in the Shetlands? Is it true the Shetlands bikes all have seats and pillions covered with Welsh sheep skins?

The Triumph Rocket III - a machine that can make even the smallest penised man feel big.

I WANT ONE.

Why, Mr. A? Because you're the smallest penised man? :o

More seriously, I was sitting at a rest stop in the Blue Ridge Mountains by my rental car last May, when a couple rode up in their Gold Wing 1,800. I told them that my Honda was a CBR, but the total displacement of mine was half the size of each of their six cylinders. They could barely believe anybody would ride a 150. It's a different world.

Each of the Triumph III cylinders displaces over 750cc. That's quite a piston.

Sending a Honda CBR150 to the UK with a Barrel and piston for a 125 should do the job.

good point.

I would guess that the barrel and piton would cost about 400 pounds.

you can fund the parts dept bill by selling the 150CC parts to a CRF150F rider who has had meltdown. :o

Not sure where the 70% import duty came from? it is true that larger bikes for some reason have a lower duty in the UK.

But i think you will find that it is nearer 18% import duty.

It is not always cold in the uk, and if i lived in a large city i would rather be on a nippy 125 than sitting in traffic for hours on my way to work.

Mike.

Hi just my advice after reading the replys

Yes i am sure the import tax is around 18% all in i dont know where 70% comes from but its most defiantley not true.

As for the pros and cons of the 150's to 125's there's no comparison stick with the 125's and you can't go wrong!!!!

As for peacemakers coments i think are far from true one of the best selling bikes are 50-125cc in England CBR, DT's etc.

Think about it every one who wants to have a big bike has to have a small one first hence there is a big market for these types of bikes. Also every year there are new buyers as people turn 16 etc.

Once the CBT has been passed you can ride the 125 with L plates and anyone with any sense would ride a 125 for several years before buying a larger bike. Then there's also as tuktukmike says the people who buy them for convience and ease of just nipping from A to B. Stick with a 125 and you won't go wrong 90% of bikes in the uk are imports so you would have no probs selling it at a later date anyway.

Thanks

Jay

CBR 150

Just a guess (maybe)

125 Barrel and piston available from Honda.(don't tell everybody it's a secret)

And then when nobody is looking it can be swoped back.

Your 125 mates will be shoked with your incredible speed, just dont tell them why!

Exhaust needs EU mark

Light lenses

But its still worth it

Allegydly