Manchester United

redrus

'

:o:D:D

I didn't say I was an Everton supporter. In my post I mentioned seeing Chang written on the jersey and thought that they were the Manchester squad, afterall it is a Thai beer. I did say the players in red seemed to be the better squad. It was a closeup of a jersey in the match that I saw that Everton was on the blue jerseys. I made the post finding it odd that Taksins team wasn't sponsered by beer Chang as he is Thai afterall.

So while you may be a gentleman, I won't dispute that, perhaps a rereading will show no bias for either team by me. I had known of Man U as a first division team, but thought Everton was a lower class.

I shall in future direct all my attempts at comical diatribes towards Liverpool, Leeds & Manchester City Supporters only....... :D

mai pen rai Ken , we love a bit of banter :D

'

:o:D:D

I didn't say I was an Everton supporter. In my post I mentioned seeing Chang written on the jersey and thought that they were the Manchester squad, afterall it is a Thai beer. I did say the players in red seemed to be the better squad. It was a closeup of a jersey in the match that I saw that Everton was on the blue jerseys. I made the post finding it odd that Taksins team wasn't sponsered by beer Chang as he is Thai afterall.

So while you may be a gentleman, I won't dispute that, perhaps a rereading will show no bias for either team by me. I had known of Man U as a first division team, but thought Everton was a lower class.

I shall in future direct all my attempts at comical diatribes towards Liverpool, Leeds & Manchester City Supporters only....... :bah:

mai pen rai Ken , we love a bit of banter :bah:

:D

Bring it on Ken :D

Have to say that was a really poor game to watch. A greta build up for the first goal, but United never got going after that, and full credit to Birmingham they made sure United didn't coast in. 3 points the main thing, but hopefully a better performance for the next match.

I sort of agree with you Mr.T, though I have to say there were a few moments of pure magic, and let's not forget Teves hit the woodwork twice. Speaking of Teves did you see he was carried from the stands to the dressing room by a couple of medics which doesn't bode well, we might have to give him this weekend off and tell Rooney to stop skiving off and get his sh!t together for Aston Villa.

I sort of agree with you Mr.T, though I have to say there were a few moments of pure magic, and let's not forget Teves hit the woodwork twice. Speaking of Teves did you see he was carried from the stands to the dressing room by a couple of medics which doesn't bode well, we might have to give him this weekend off and tell Rooney to stop skiving off and get his sh!t together for Aston Villa.

There were several other good phases of play, but I just felt that United lacked the fluidity and intensity. I agree we should have scored more, but it just seemed a bit of a damp squib to me last night. Hopefully Tevez's injury is nothing to serious, and Rooney will be back for the next game.

I didn't see the match but what's this about Tevez pulling a dummy out of his shorts as a goal celebration :o

Yeah, it's true, and I have no idea why. or where he was actually keeping it :D

It makes one wonder what else they have tucked away in their jockstraps, on second thoughts I'm not even going to think about it ...... :D

Ferguson not a happy bunny about the lack of atmosphere at the ground yesterday, and to be honest I noticed that watching last night, that the stadium was very quiet, too many people tucking into prawn sandwiches no doubt. Bring back standing!!!

Ferguson not a happy bunny about the lack of atmosphere at the ground yesterday, and to be honest I noticed that watching last night, that the stadium was very quiet, too many people tucking into prawn sandwiches no doubt. Bring back standing!!!

Prawn sarnies all round last night :o .............. never at Anfield , we eat scouse :D .

Prawn sarnies all round last night :D .............. never at Anfield , we eat scouse :D .

And nick hubcaps :o

United's silent fans blasted by angry Ferguson

Daniel Taylor at Old Trafford

Wednesday January 2, 2008

The Guardian

Sir Alex Ferguson blames day trippers for the poor Old Trafford atmosphere. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/Guardian

Sir Alex Ferguson described Old Trafford as having the atmosphere of a "funeral" when he spoke after Manchester United's 1-0 win over Birmingham City. Carlos Tevez's goal means the champions have won 10 league games in a row on their own ground but Ferguson was distinctly unimpressed with United's supporters, accusing them of letting down the team.

"The crowd were dead," he complained. "That was the quietest I have heard the crowd and it's disappointing because we needed the crowd today. We have come through a difficult period of game after game and in moments like these we need a lift. But it was like a funeral out there."

This is not the first time Ferguson has felt aggrieved about the lack of noise at Old Trafford and his complaints will bring back memories of Roy Keane's notorious rant about the club's supporters. Keane had questioned whether some United fans "can spell football never mind understand it" and suggested that they were more interested in eating prawn sandwiches than watching the game. Ferguson was more diplomatic but the United manager was clearly angered, drawing a direct link between the poor atmosphere and a laboured performance from his team.

"It was so quiet," he complained. "I don't think that helped us. The players need the crowd sometimes but the atmosphere inside the ground wasn't good. It's all right saying the players have to make the crowd respond but there are some situations, like today, when we need them to get behind us and give us a lift. The players need the crowd to respond and vice versa. But it was dead."

Ferguson has complained in the past about foreign supporters on day trips harming the atmosphere at Old Trafford, saying his team had more backing in away games. "There have been periods like this before," he continued. "It's not just today, it happened a few years ago as well when we were the dominant team in the league. The crowd come to be entertained but sometimes we need them to help us get the right kind of performance."

Ferguson's anger extended to the referee Peter Walton's "bad" decision-making and, in particular, the number of fouls on Tevez. The Argentinian was eventually substituted after 71 minutes, nursing a badly bruised ankle inflicted by a first-half challenge from the visiting captain, Liam Ridgewell.

"We had to take him off because the longer the game went on the worse it got," Ferguson explained. "We will have to assess it in the morning and see what the damage is but he's obviously a doubt for Saturday [when United play Aston Villa in the FA Cup third round]."

Tevez celebrated his goal by producing a baby's dummy from inside his shorts but Ferguson was more concerned about the sight of his player being carried down the tunnel at the final whistle. "Carlos has real tenacity," the United manager continued. "He's as brave as a lion, he doesn't roll around and he wouldn't normally come off, so that gives you an idea about what kind of tackle it was. It was a sore one."

The victory kept United two points behind Arsenal but Ferguson was disappointed that his players had not won more handsomely. "We were careless and we really can't do these things," he said. "I was concerned towards the end because it takes only a second to score a goal and they [birmingham] had a lot of possession in the last third, abetted by some of the referee's decisions and linesman's decisions."

So Fergie comes out against his own fans for the "funeral" atmosphere. Now let's step back here. Man Utd as a club have gone all out to attract the business types to their ground. They have made Old Trafford into a very corporate type stadium, with the aim to bring in more money. They also charge a canny wedge to the average fan to get into the 'Theatre of Dreams' putting the game, as with many other clubs, out of the reach of the working man. Now they complain when it isnt like the old days where it cost almost nothing to get into a ground and thus the working man could afford it. I dont think you can have it both ways to be honest. Football has been heading the corporate way for years now and silent grounds is just one of the side effects of this.

I would like to add that Man Utd have one of the best away followings in football where the core fan base are packed together and bring back the old days of chanting etc. However, 70,000+ crowds packed with day trippers and corporate fans are never going to match it as they dont pay top dollar to go to games to chant like the common man. They go to be entertained and the daytripper fan often doesn't even have any idea how to join in with the chants.

Criticizing the very people who are 'investing' in Manchester United's 'business' seems a daft thing to do. The clubs have made football this way and shouldn't now want it back to the way it was. They can't have it both ways.

In general, home crowds tend to be quite passive these days, whereas you can always count on the minority in the 'away' support to do their best to outchant the home crowd. Exceptions tend to be derby games or games involving teams with a longstanding rivalry.

Edited by Sunderland

I concur Sunderland, well said :D

Also, we've discussed it on here before but it is alot to do with sitting down.

However, could you imagine the response from the corporate guests if they stood up. "Darling, i went to watch United today playing a team in Blue i think it was, can't for the life of me remember their name and guess what ? They made us bl00dy stand up, all the way through the bl00dy footie game! I'm watching Polo next time, at least there i can use my canvas tripod stool" :o

So Fergie comes out against his own fans for the "funeral" atmosphere. Now let's step back here. Man Utd as a club have gone all out to attract the business types to their ground. They have made Old Trafford into a very corporate type stadium, with the aim to bring in more money. They also charge a canny wedge to the average fan to get into the 'Theatre of Dreams' putting the game, as with many other clubs, out of the reach of the working man. Now they complain when it isnt like the old days where it cost almost nothing to get into a ground and thus the working man could afford it. I dont think you can have it both ways to be honest. Football has been heading the corporate way for years now and silent grounds is just one of the side effects of this.

I would like to add that Man Utd have one of the best away followings in football where the core fan base are packed together and bring back the old days of chanting etc. However, 70,000+ crowds packed with day trippers and corporate fans are never going to match it as they dont pay top dollar to go to games to chant like the common man. They go to be entertained and the daytripper fan often doesn't even have any idea how to join in with the chants.

Criticizing the very people who are 'investing' in Manchester United's 'business' seems a daft thing to do. The clubs have made football this way and shouldn't now want it back to the way it was. They can't have it both ways.

In general, home crowds tend to be quite passive these days, whereas you can always count on the minority in the 'away' support to do their best to outchant the home crowd. Exceptions tend to be derby games or games involving teams with a longstanding rivalry.

Totally agree, mate. Think what you have said is spot on, but sadly it has the way thast football has gone, in search of the cash and out with the traditions. A good point, regarding away fans, and I beleive that Ferguson has already mentioned it previously, but as most of us know, the corporate boys and day trippers don't tend to travel out of their comfort zones. Anyone for a trip to "The Vetch" on a Wednesay night in November?

I used to share a student house with 2 Manchester United fans in Sunderland. They drove up and down the motorway to almost every home and away game. This was back in the early 90's and even then they told me that the atmosphere at OT for home games was often as stale as bread. They would rather miss a home game than an away game, as the craic was always better for away games. Funnily enough they were from the Greater Manchester area which seemed a bit of a rarity to me! One from Urmston and the other from Bury.

I used to feel much the same when I travelled silly distances to watch Sunderland play away. Win, lose or draw, away days were a good day out, although some trips back felt much longer after being humped by the opposition. Midweek away games usually involved the biggest sacrifices and yet almost always resulted in defeat. I particularly remember going down to Coventry for a league cup quarter-final replay, being pushed around by West Midlands' finest, being unable to see 70% of the pitch and then wondering "why?" when we trailed 4-0 at half-time. Finished 5-0, so the journey back wasn't as bad as it could have been ... :o Setting a DVD recorder to record the midweek games (as I will do for tonight's encounter with Blackburn) has taken all the fun and spirit out of the game.

Therefore to recreate the atmosphere of days gone by, I am tempted to ....

- call sick tomorrow

- ride the buses around Bangkok for 4 hours before and after the match tonight

- go and get drunk in the bars opposite Major and start singing Sunderland songs prior to the match

- get a lift home in a police van

- subject myself to a body search before entering my apartment

- cook myself a greasy burger and then charge myself a fiver for it

- sit on my sofa with restricted view and hurl abuse at the referee on TV

Ahhhhhhhh ... I miss the good old days.

I used to share a student house with 2 Manchester United fans in Sunderland. They drove up and down the motorway to almost every home and away game. This was back in the early 90's and even then they told me that the atmosphere at OT for home games was often as stale as bread. They would rather miss a home game than an away game, as the craic was always better for away games. Funnily enough they were from the Greater Manchester area which seemed a bit of a rarity to me! One from Urmston and the other from Bury.

I used to feel much the same when I travelled silly distances to watch Sunderland play away. Win, lose or draw, away days were a good day out, although some trips back felt much longer after being humped by the opposition. Midweek away games usually involved the biggest sacrifices and yet almost always resulted in defeat. I particularly remember going down to Coventry for a league cup quarter-final replay, being pushed around by West Midlands' finest, being unable to see 70% of the pitch and then wondering "why?" when we trailed 4-0 at half-time. Finished 5-0, so the journey back wasn't as bad as it could have been ... :D Setting a DVD recorder to record the midweek games (as I will do for tonight's encounter with Blackburn) has taken all the fun and spirit out of the game.

Therefore to recreate the atmosphere of days gone by, I am tempted to ....

- call sick tomorrow

- ride the buses around Bangkok for 4 hours before and after the match tonight

- go and get drunk in the bars opposite Major and start singing Sunderland songs prior to the match

- get a lift home in a police van

- subject myself to a body search before entering my apartment

- cook myself a greasy burger and then charge myself a fiver for it

- sit on my sofa with restricted view and hurl abuse at the referee on TV

Ahhhhhhhh ... I miss the good old days.

:o - a few changs down by Major sounds tempting

Has anyone seen or heard from Redrus ? It's been ages since he posted last (about the 21st Nov I think)

I trust our ordained & discerning member is OK - Come Home Red We Miss You

He went missing last year for while. Around April i think. Everyone worried about him. But he turned up again. He hasn't predicted in the comp for a while either. Must be some bender he's on. :o:D

He hasn't predicted in the comp for a while either. Must be some bender he's on. :o:D

Typical united fan. They start to lose in a competition and then say it's cos they are concentrating on something else :D

Come back Red :bah:

:D:D

I'll admit that was funny.

Well done City, Thomas Cook and Le Coq :o

City to don special kit for Manchester derby

Manchester City’s shirt sponsors and manufacturer will have their branding removed from the kit worn in the Munich anniversary derby on February 10 at Old Trafford.

The decision by Thomas Cook.com and Le Coq Sportif came after talks between the companies and the supporters.

Producing a kit that will incorporate a black ribbon of remembrance is just one of the initiatives City have adopted ahead of the match against Manchester United.

Other plans for the joint marking of the 50th anniversary of the tragedy on February 6 are expected to be announced shortly.

City spokesman Paul Tyrrell told the Manchester Evening News: “After discussions with the Official Supporters Club and the Centenary Supporters Association both Thomas Cook and Le Coq Sportif offered to remove branding from the shirts.

“Le Coq are happy to produce a unique kit for the occasion.”

All 3,000 City fans who get a ticket for the game will receive a letter from manager Sven Goran-Eriksson and skipper Richard Dunne as well as a picture of goalkeeper-turned-journalist Frank Swift, who died in the plane crash.

Eriksson asks all supporters to “uphold the good name of Manchester City and respectfully support the commemorations.”

Well done City, Thomas Cook and Le Coq :o

City to don special kit for Manchester derby

Manchester City’s shirt sponsors and manufacturer will have their branding removed from the kit worn in the Munich anniversary derby on February 10 at Old Trafford.

The decision by Thomas Cook.com and Le Coq Sportif came after talks between the companies and the supporters.

Producing a kit that will incorporate a black ribbon of remembrance is just one of the initiatives City have adopted ahead of the match against Manchester United.

Other plans for the joint marking of the 50th anniversary of the tragedy on February 6 are expected to be announced shortly.

City spokesman Paul Tyrrell told the Manchester Evening News: “After discussions with the Official Supporters Club and the Centenary Supporters Association both Thomas Cook and Le Coq Sportif offered to remove branding from the shirts.

“Le Coq are happy to produce a unique kit for the occasion.”

All 3,000 City fans who get a ticket for the game will receive a letter from manager Sven Goran-Eriksson and skipper Richard Dunne as well as a picture of goalkeeper-turned-journalist Frank Swift, who died in the plane crash.

Eriksson asks all supporters to “uphold the good name of Manchester City and respectfully support the commemorations.”

For once, this is a really special day, and in some ways it's ironic that we are playing City; but there is no excuse for any nonsense from any morons on either side. I hope that the respect that those guys deserve is given.

There is no need for a blue - red divide on this day, and as far as I'm concerned anyone who doesn't respect it, should be taken out back and........

There is no need for a blue - red divide on this day, and as far as I'm concerned anyone who doesn't respect it, should be taken out back and........

I concur ken. :o

From the BBC:-

Eriksson calls for Munich respect

Sven-Goran Eriksson has called on Manchester City's fans to be respectful of commemorations planned for the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster.

City play at Manchester United on 10 February and Eriksson has written to fans asking them to pay tribute to those killed in the Munich plane crash.

Eight United stars and former City keeper Frank Swift were among 23 who lost their lives on 6 February, 1958.

Eriksson has urged fans not to disrupt a minute's silence before the match.

Former Manchester United club secretary Ken Ramsden, who has helped organise the commemorations for the day said: "What happened at Munich was not just a disaster for United but for the whole of the city of Manchester.

"We are sure that City fans will unite with us and share in the occasion with us."

United will wear a special replica of their 1958 kit on the day, devoid of the players' names or shirt numbers on the back, while City's kit will incorporate a black ribbon with their sponsor's branding removed.

I have been listening to a lot of interviews on the BBC recently and I wondered if you knew, Mr BJ, that may people regard Man City, indirectly, as being responsible for that nice Mr Allardyce getting the sack at Newcastle.

1 He signed Joey Barton from City - and that shows a great lack of judgement and

2 he has had 8 months to turn Newcastle round but hasn't, whereas in half that time Sven had Man City in the top four!

I have been listening to a lot of interviews on the BBC recently and I wondered if you knew, Mr BJ, that may people regard Man City, indirectly, as being responsible for that nice Mr Allardyce getting the sack at Newcastle.

1 He signed Joey Barton from City - and that shows a great lack of judgement and

2 he has had 8 months to turn Newcastle round but hasn't, whereas in half that time Sven had Man City in the top four!

Sorry - meant to post that to the Man City thread. Keep getting mixed regarding those teams at the top of the League!

Sorry - meant to post that to the Man City thread. Keep getting mixed regarding those teams at the top of the League!

:o:D

Easily done LL :D