Norwegian / Thai - Advice Please

Ground Engineer

My Thai sister in law, who lives in Thailand has been married to a Norwegian guy for 4 years. He walked out on her about a year ago, which was a blessing as she was constantly abused and humiliated. They have a 4 year old daughter, who lives with the mother. They have a house in East Pattaya and a condo in Jomtien in his company name.

The Norwegian husband works for the oil industry and earns approx 6 million bhat a year. He wants a divorce and states that according to the law in Norway he just needs to pay her 1780 kroner a month (9500 Bhat) and he will keep the house, condo, car, etc.

She is currently living back in the village with the baby because he wont let her stay in the house.

Back in the UK everything is spit 50:50 and I'm sure if they were living in Norway it would be similar. So not quite sure what she is legally entitled to with her being a Thai National married to a Norwegian living in Thailand. Any advice would be very welcome as I don't wont to see her get bullied into a settlement without knowing what she is entitled to.

If they were married in Thailand then the normal practice here is to divide any combined assets gained between all family members - husband, wife and children if no other agreement can be reached. But in any circumstances she should get legal representation and gather any documents related to assets in Thailand to show lawyers.

50/50 split of of post marital assets is the rule of the day in Thailand and in the meantime he should provide adequate maintenance for wife and child. He has no right to evict her from marital home.

She must get a lawyer pronto. He sounds like an asshol_e and would come out the loser in a Thai court based on the info provided by the op.