Samui - A Beautiful Island

I just wanted to say that I really love Samui, the island and the people.

While I feel so terribly sorry for the Horton Family and can't even begin to imagine their loss,

these tragedies can happen anywhere.

Please don't cancel holidays or run from such a beautiful place. I have only been to Samui three times

and I plan on returning in three months. Of course as a girl travelling I am now going to be extra careful of where I go and what I do but I would do the same anywhere, even here in Australia.

Don't let these despicable animals that committed this crime win and don't blame Samui......

I won't let them make me live in fear.

xx

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say that I really love Samui, the island and the people.

While I feel so terribly sorry for the Horton Family and can't even begin to imagine their loss,

these tragedies can happen anywhere.

Please don't cancel holidays or run from such a beautiful place. I have only been to Samui three times

and I plan on returning in three months. Of course as a girl travelling I am now going to be extra careful of where I go and what I do but I would do the same anywhere, even here in Australia.

Don't let these despicable animals that committed this crime win and don't blame Samui......

I won't let them make me live in fear.

xx

Well said and quite right.

Welcome back to Samui.

I think Samui needs some positive press at the moment. In light of the horrific situation it might be an idea to list the things that are great about Samui.

Like the great food, friendly people, beautiful scenery.....

What does everyone think?

L x

I think Samui needs some positive press at the moment. In light of the horrific situation it might be an idea to list the things that are great about Samui.

L x

Lunch in Fishermans Village (Bophut) looking across to Koh Phangan

Dinner in Fishermans Village - beautiful at night

Live Music at Coco Blues with top international stars

Dancing in the Reggae Pub

Fresh Pork Pies from Big Joe

Cheap cost of living

Great weather (most of the time - last couple of months an exception!)

Quiet beaches or crowded beaches - your choice.

Amazing little Airport

Great choice of restaurants

- Chinese

- Mexican

- Italian

- French

- Lebanese

- Brazilian

- Indian

- Thai (of course!)

- Creole

- German

- Seafood

- Steak Houses

- Korean

- Japanese

- Tapas

- Fish & Chips (Reggae Street)

- and whether you like them or not, and many people do, most of the fast food chains.

Activities

- Bungie Jump

- Canopy Adventures

- Elephant Trecking

- Diving and Snorkeling

- Island Safari

- Catamaran Charters

- Living Thailand

- Aquarium & Tiger Zoo

- Butterfly Garden

- Crocodile Farm

- Monkey Theatre

- Snake Farm

- Horse Riding

- Yacht Charters

- Kite Boarding

- Rock Climbing

- Ten Pin Bowling

- Fitness Clubs

- Go Karts

- Golf

- Frisby Golf

- Football Golf

- Sea Kayaking

- Sea Plane Excursions (coming soon)

Health

- Four International Hospitals

- Hyperbaric Chamber

- Dozens of Spas

- Good quality dentists

Enough from me - anyone else?

Patsy - you know I did see him when I was there last year.......

Does anyone have a favourite place to eat? I want to try the Elephant and Castle next time I am there...is that still open?

I presume you mean the E&C in Bangrak in which case it is still open and run by Mark and John. Excellent food both Thai and European. Right on the beach and they do a great Sunday Roast.

L x

here we go :D

have been two times to samui before an coming again in march.

most we liked the warm weather and the sea. .....vacation feeling...

we have been several times also to the seychelles....but they were too calm for us.

so we loved samui for feeling free to do what ever we liked and anyway felt save at each moment.

ok,we did not hang around 4 a.m.in chaweng heavy drunken and talking bullshit to locals or other visitors.

we just spend our holiday on samui....driving around by car, eat and drink at different places,visit different beaches,do some shopping,boat tours, drink some sundowerns :D .listen to live bands playing good old rock'n roll :o

even as we visited local bars we felt save and welcome. everybody seems to be friendly and helpfull (if help was requested)

for me there was no reason in the past to say: stay away.

i think if you just act as you act at home there will be no problem to go to samui.

Does anyone have a favourite place to eat? I want to try the Elephant and Castle next time I am there...is that still open?

I can't get much farang food in restaurants here in Nakhon Si Thammarat so every month or so, we go to Samui for a day or two and regular places I love to go to are

1. The Deck for lunch, :o

2. Gringo's Cantina for dinner :D:D

my husband (he's Thai) loves to get a bag full of bugs for a snack :D while I look for a great dessert place, still haven't found the definitive place yet, the search is on-going. :D:D:D:D

I can't get much farang food in restaurants here in Nakhon Si Thammarat so every month or so, we go to Samui for a day or two and regular places I love to go to are

1. The Deck for lunch, :o

2. Gringo's Cantina for dinner :D:D

my husband (he's Thai) loves to get a bag full of bugs for a snack :D while I look for a great dessert place, still haven't found the definitive place yet, the search is on-going. :D:D:D:D

A good dessert is hard to find I agree.

Not bad at Coco Blues - Blueberry, Apple or Mango Pie with Ice cream and also Pecan Pie.

Good but not cheap deserts;

Zabaglione at Zazen/ between Bophud and Maenam

Chocolate mousse at The Mangrove/airport road near turn to Ban Rak

Zico's has a couple of great deserts/Chaweng opposite Central

Various cakes at Angela's/Maenam

I presume you mean the E&C in Bangrak in which case it is still open and run by Mark and John. Excellent food both Thai and European. Right on the beach and they do a great Sunday Roast.

I couldn't agree more about the Elephant & Castle. Although I love Thai food and will eat it 99% of the time, just occasionally I fancy a good Sunday Lunch. At E&C you get a very traditional Sunday Lunch, loads of roast (both beef and lamb) roast potatoes, gravy, veg, and best of all, Yorkshire puddings. Waddle all the way home...

Gisele - You mentioned that your husband bought a bag full of bugs as a snack, have you ever tried them? I must admit that I have seen them for sale on some streets but have never been adventurous enough to try them..... :o

Gisele - You mentioned that your husband bought a bag full of bugs as a snack, have you ever tried them? I must admit that I have seen them for sale on some streets but have never been adventurous enough to try them..... :D

Yes, I have tried the bugs a few times. I don't like eating bugs fried or otherwise and I don't let my husband kiss me when he eats them.

:D

Give me chocolate mousse anytime :o

The most wonderful chocolat mousse at Mangrove near the airport :D

farang 55 you are my new best friend :D

Very good points everyone.

I also lived on Samui for a year and a half and those times i will never forget, i also had an experience of waking up in my bungalow on Maenam Beach and seeing a lady dead in the water. These are shocking things that happen and for the families i cant begin to imagine the hurt and pain they must suffer when something like this happens.

But as you said Lisa this shit happens everywhere all over the world everyday, its just highlighted more in some areas than others.

Samui is the nicest and most beautiful place i have ever been too and i have travelled all over the world and the people the places the food as everyone has alredy mentioned is out of this world.

So i say here here Lisa. Everyone do not be put off by what has happend just be more careful and sensible (remember Thailand is not like home)

Just a mention for somewhere to eat a lovely restaurant in Maenam TWINS restaurant just opposite 7/11 great people and food again is outstanding and very cheap.

Heres to Samui and Thailand LOVE IT

You are so right, Moon..... it sounds like you had a bad experience but at least it hasn't tainted your feelings towards Samui.

It's a sad world we live in where these monsters think they are above the law and I think it hits so hard for outsiders to hear that it could happen on an island paradise.....

In some ways we become conditioned to horrible things happening in our own countries.....which is an awful thought really...