Changing Hard Disk To New Computer

pitrevie

I am in the process of building a new computer but wish to transfer my existing hard disk to the new computer. I am using the same OS on both, Windows 7 but now I wish to transfer the OS to the new computer. Are there any ways of doing is or I am looking at a fresh install?

It's almost never hassle-free transplanting an OS drive from one machine to another. More to the point even you're successful and get it to jive after you spend hours messing around with drivers etc, it'll probably never be as stable as you'd like.

Much Better option is to install the old machine's drive in the new machine as a 2nd drive, then copy all your personal files across. Once you'd done that and you're sure you've got everything, reformat the 2nd drive for a new lease of life as extra storage.

Always a good idea to keep all your "user" files on a 2nd drive anyway - makes nuking and reinstalling the OS drive (or changing machines) much easier. I like to nuke mine and do a fresh OS install annually - cleans out all the fluff and the machine runs much faster for a few months before it inevitably gets gunked up again...

Just install it as a second disk and access the information from it when needed but forget the WIN 7 OS.

As stated about you most likely need to do clean install and registration with Microsoft any way, so why not buy a new disk for this and use your old one as extra storage.

If you really trying to save money then try your existing hard drive in the new computer but be prepared for it to install all new drivers and other things for the new motherboard combination any way and it may not be 100% successful.

You most likely need to register with Microsoft as they build a key based on the software hardware combination. It is not like XP where you could just install over the top with 100% success rate.

My personal experience is that it will work fine IF the OS is Win 7. With previous OS (XP Pro etc), the hardware had to be similar.

I would certainly give it a go; you may need to update some drivers, but it you have the correct Ethernet drivers it will do most of the work automatically for you.

In terms of the MS licence; unless it's specifically OEM from an old PC you'll just need to reactivate it, you may need to ring the automated Microsoft activation line but most of the time don't need a new licence.

The above post's suggestion of install your existing disk as a second hard drive is always a good option too.

Of course, like all the advice says - have a back up of your crucial data before you start :-)

Good luck

you can use the "windows easy transfer".

it will not transfer programs over, but all settings.

example if using office, then all settings (including emails), will be transferred, then you just need to install office on the new machine, and everything is back to what you are used to.

it takes all documents as well.

it is best used with an external drive.

Another option may be to get the latest Zorin, a linux 0/S that is free and looks very much like win7 (or you can use the linux or xp 'look'). Look for Zorin in www.distowatch.com - it is 1.3Gb, takes ~ 3hr to download, then put it on a usb stick using unetbootin, and only took 20 min for me to install on my old toshiba netbook.

You can have a play with it on the usb stick beforehand, but of course it will be slower than if installed on your HDD.

No need to send any more of your Baht to MS. AA

Before you do a clean install just try putting your old hard drive (make an Acronis backup copy first) in the new computer then use the new morherboard's drivers and see if it runs. I did this with a new setup a few weeks ago and everything worked.

Good luck

if the serial ata chipset is the same, let's say originally intel ICH7 and new board ICH10, it'll work but as said previous posters if the hardware change is too big like moving from intel chipset to AMD/SIS/whatever it might not work BUT you can try this : http://broo2.blogspot.com/2009/11/enabling-ahci-in-windows-7.html basically you change a setting in the registry to allow windows to redetect hardrive on boot(otherwise you'll have a BSOD for missing hardrive), be sure to set both old mainboard and new mainboard to IDE mode for SATA.