Killer Of Aussie Tourist Told To Surrender

Lite Beer

I'm not a policeman, however if I was I don't think I would advertise in the national press.........we know who you are, we know where you are, give yourself up or we'll shoot you.

I would more inclined to just go get the guy........

Thai police work in mysterious ways

Nothing mysterious about it. They have absolutely no idea who did it or where they are. This is bad news. They are desperate. I was expecting a quick arrest as is usually the case. Perhaps the police were waiting for the reward to be offered so they could collect it. Yes, they actually do that in this country. Police collect reward money. Crazy.

300,000B will be worth it for some poor Thai volunteering to take the fall, then having someone "turn them in" and collect the money.

I'm afraid there may be someone insane made to turn up and acknowledge the guilt just for the relatives to collect the bounty. Even worse the police "loose canons" may shoot someone up and blame the murder on the corpse without any proof or even a connection. Anything in the name of "restoring tourist confidence" and their $$.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong, but to me it sounds like a "make up" plan to save face.

The do not know who is responsible but have the pressure from all over to make arrest.

If they do not find the perp fast enough, they basically planning to shoot and kill someone and make them the perp.

Dead can not speak to say otherwisewai.gif

Michelle Smith murderers still unidentifed: Phuket Police

Phuket Gazette – Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:09:56 PM

phuket-1-16252FoHYwFBOHksQpjMXooDsKxdiHM.jpg

A police re-enactment of the death of Australian travel agent

Michelle Smith, who died in the arms of her friend after being

stabbed to death by a pair of bag-snatching thugs in Phuket on

Tuesday night. Photo: Kritsada Meuanhawong.

PHUKET: -- One of the most intensive manhunts in Phuket’s history continues as police scour the island for the two men responsible for the shocking, stabbing murder of Australian travel agent Michelle Smith. Although police have numerous images and descriptions of the pair, their identities remain unknown, police confirmed today.

Following a re-enactment of the crime near the Kata Thani Hotel yesterday, police said arrest warrants for the two assailants would be issued later in the day.

Composite sketches of both men would be among the documents submitted in the warrant request.

Such is the importance of the case that it is being personally overseen by deputy national police chief Pansiri Prapawat, with the assistance of Region 8 Commissioner Lt Gen Santi Pensute.

Royal Thai Police Commissioner Priewpan Dhamapong has also ordered Provincial Police Region 8, Phuket Provincial Police, Crime Suppression Division Police, Tourist Police, Highway Police and Marine Police to aid in the investigation.

“Based on witnesses’ statements, both suspects are about 20-25 years old and 170cm tall,” Lt Gen Pansiri said.

Police are also in possession of CCTV images of the attack as it took place, it has been revealed.

The offer of a 300,000 baht reward for information leading to the arrest of the culprits remains in effect.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Chonasit Wattanavrangkul this afternoon denied that investigators know the names of the two attackers, as has been reported in some media.

There was no new information to report over the last 24 hours, he said.

National Police Advisor Gen Chatchai Potranan yesterday appealed to the Phuket public for help in finding the attackers, who were aboard a blue Honda Dream motorbike when they struck the two Australians.

“We need the cooperation from the public in gathering the information necessary to identify these two men. Every Phuket resident is considered a host to welcome tourists; we cannot allow these two criminals to ruin the image of the province,” he said.

Police are also searching for some 30 registered motorbikes matching the description of that used by the attackers, based on witness testimony and CCTV images, police said.

To see how news of the killing and its effect on the local tourism industry in being presented to the Australian public, watch here:

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-04-24

Have a good look at the photo of the police. Do they inspire confidence in you? What a crock the police are. Poor families who have to deal with these incompetent crooks.

Obviously, the only way to control these hoods is to convince the local mafias - state and private - to control them, a la US.

Have a good look at the photo of the police. Do they inspire confidence in you? What a crock the police are. Poor families who have to deal with these incompetent crooks.

Obviously, the only way to control these hoods is to convince the local mafias - state and private - to control them, a la US.

Why do they stage a reenactment when they have the whole thing on CCTV? That just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not a policeman, however if I was I don't think I would advertise in the national press.........we know who you are, we know where you are, give yourself up or we'll shoot you.

I would more inclined to just go get the guy........

Thai police work in mysterious ways

That is because they have no idea who done it ! They are now hoping for 2 Thais to hand them selves in

Yes thais call it Levelse psycorragi

Tuesday night.

A re-enactment? Isn't that farce usually conducted after catching the perps? :unsure:

Edited by Payboy

Damnned if they do dammed if they don't.

What ever they come up with (police) TVs very own Columbos would put them down.

Fact is criminals like theses probably have people in fear around them, the money will motivate some to act and put them forward.

300'ooo bht is a lot of money in Thailand, equivalent to over a years salary in the west.

I for one am glad they are doing something.

Must not forget Justice can only come once these individuals are apprehended, if they are not shot first.( no different to the Us in that sense)

I only hope that the surviving victim can move on and the family of the deceased eventually get some form of justice.

Edited by stiggy

Tuesday night.

A re-enactment? Isn't that farce usually conducted after catching the perps? unsure.png

It is a photo oppertunity for those that couldn't fit into the stadium for the media conference.

Tuesday night.

A re-enactment? Isn't that farce usually conducted after catching the perps? unsure.png

It is a photo oppertunity for those that couldn't fit into the stadium for the media conference.

It is probably intended to jog the memories of any witnesses who have not yet come forward, or help others to recall further detail, and the sequence of events. Someone new may also have seen these scumdogs before, during or after the attack.

Fact is criminals like theses probably have people in fear around them, the money will motivate some to act and put them forward.

300'ooo bht is a lot of money in Thailand, equivalent to over a years salary in the west.

Must not forget Justice can only come once these individuals are apprehended, if they are not shot first.( no different to the Us in that sense)

I only hope that the surviving victim can move on and the family of the deceased eventually get some form of justice.

No. Glad to see them offering reward and actually trying to solve a crime.

The problem is themselves. The dumb arse specifically stated that they are diligently seeking these murderers because it is affecting tourism. How insenstive and dumb can one be. Even if you don't fell that way, your press statement should say someting to the effect that "We are deeply sadened by the event and loss of life and are committed to seeing that the criminals be brought to justice."

These guys clearly showed they could give two cents about any Australian women or murder in Phuket. They are only concerned about toursim (call it what it is "GREED") and perhaps keeping their boss of their back ("self centeredness"). Don't get me wrong, people can be greedy and self centered, but it is this joker's job to find killers regardless of publicity.

• Like 1

The problem is themselves. The dumb arse specifically stated that they are diligently seeking these murderers because it is affecting tourism. How insenstive and dumb can one be. Even if you don't fell that way, your press statement should say someting to the effect that "We are deeply sadened by the event and loss of life and are committed to seeing that the criminals be brought to justice."

These guys clearly showed they could give two cents about any Australian women or murder in Phuket. They are only concerned about toursim (call it what it is "GREED") and perhaps keeping their boss of their back ("self centeredness"). Don't get me wrong, people can be greedy and self centered, but it is this joker's job to find killers regardless of publicity.

There is going to be a great promotion for a few people in this one.

Interesting how they are so quick to print the name of a foreigner when normally they only print Thai Nick names but in this case they claim to know who the perps are yet no mention of the names. Do they really know or are they protecting them for some odd reason?

Excuse me, what Country are you from?

300,000 Baht is a little over $9,000.00 or 6,200 Pounds, hardly a years salary in the west, The requirement for a retirement visa is 800,000 Baht

British tourist stabbed in Thailand near travel agent murder

A British tourist was stabbed on Thailand"s holiday island of Phuket on the same night that travel agent Michelle Smith was killed by two robbers attempting a bag snatch.

Mohamad Zubair Edwa, 37, who is believed to use the name Edward Wright, said he was riding home from a bar in the early hours of the morning when three men on a motorbike blocked the road in front of him.

One of the men dismounted and, as Mr Edwa attempted to ride around the man, he was stabbed in the side, causing a deep wound and extensive bleeding.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2001964&c=setreg&region=2

I remember reading many post on TVF that predicted that someone would have to be killed before the BIB would take serious action against the criminal element in the tourist areas. Finally after scores of deaths and countless injured something may be done. But dont hold your breath..........

Warrants issued for Aussie's Phuket murder

Thai police have issued arrest warrants for two suspects in the murder of Perth travel agent Michelle Smith and posted a reward for information leading to their capture........

The investigation into Mrs Smith's murder has received a high priority with Thai Prime Minister, Yingluck Shinawatra - a recent visitor to Australia - urging more intensity in efforts to find the wanted pair...........Growing concerns over attacks on tourists in Thailand, including the seaside resort of Pattaya, have led to Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung calling for a crackdown on criminal groups operating at the resort areas.........

Increasing theft and violent arguments between tourists and samlor or 'tuk tuk' drivers have alarmed tourism officials.

Four Australians were assaulted in February last year when a group of 20 tuk tuk drivers attacked the group. One Australian was knifed but survived the assault.

Australian Ambassador to Thailand, James Wise, is to visit Phuket next week to hold talks with officials, including the provincial governor and tourism authorities, over concerns for the safety of Australian travellers.

http://news.ninemsn....murder-suspects

Arrests loom after Aussie killed in Phuket

Husband's grief over wife's murder as witnesses tell of piercing screams as Perth mum killed in popular holiday island Phuket, Thailand

• by: Alan Morison in Phuket
  • June 22, 2012 12:00AM

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Excuse me, what Country are you from?

300,000 Baht is a little over $9,000.00 or 6,200 Pounds, hardly a years salary in the west, The requirement for a retirement visa is 800,000 Baht

300,000 Baht p.a., or 25,000 Baht per month would be more than a significant number of Thais earn. Compared with the West, that could be around 4 times the annual income in Thailand for some people. Enough to feed the family, pay the rent, pay off a debt, buy a new motorcycle, etc.

What is the importance of how the police feel? What is important is that pressure is being applied to get the murder solved. Police are not politicians and I would not expect or demand PC speech from them.

• Like 1

From the uk, by equivalent I mean similar to a bounty that is comparable being offered in the west.

Thailand 300'ooo bht over a years salary, uk if a bounty that was comparable on cost of living etc being 75-100 k sterling.

Either place that comparable sum would make it more difficult to hide.

What is the importance of how the police feel? What is important is that pressure is being applied to get the murder solved. Police are not politicians and I would not expect or demand PC speech from them.

The sad fact is that if the poor victim, and her group had not been travel consultants in Thailand to gather information on Phuket/Thailand holiday resorts then this would just be another farang death that would take years to solve if it ever was. Thier major concerned is what the remaining 9 travel consultants are going to say to the industry in Australia also some of the International travel companies based in Australia.

P.M Yingluk is also involved in this putting pressure on the powers that be to clean up the mess as fast as possible. How many other farangs have died in suspicious circumstances or straight out murders that has attracted rewards and political intervention from the very top? The whole thing sends a very very clear message that thier major concern is the tourist dollar and not just another death. This is displayed by both the politicians and the Police. Instead of openly displaying thier concerns for the tourist dollar they could lie and speak of thier intentions to solve a murder instead of recovering face, surely there is someone in the country who can show them how to lie.

The death of this poor lady has however taken Thailand by the scruff of the neck and given it a decent old bitch slapping. It has proven to the international community that if they really want to they can actually get off thier rear ends and make a concerted effort to crime involving foreigners. Sadly tho I believe that once all the dust has settled thier attitude will return to business as usual.

Edited by softgeorge
  • Like 1