Metropolitan Police Puts 600 Officers To Keep Order During Udd Rallies On Sunday

Lite Beer

Metropolitan Police puts 600 officers to keep order during UDD rallies on Sunday

BANGKOK, 24 June 2012 (NNT) – Several hundreds of Bangkok policemen are on stand-by to make sure that the Red-Shirt rallies in the capital on Sunday will be under control.

Police Major General Wallop Prathummuang, Commander of Metropolitan Police Division 6, who is in charge of the city’s security affairs during Sunday’s street rallies by the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), said that 4 companies of police, or 600 officers, have been assigned to station along the route of the demonstration.

The UDD has scheduled the rallies that will take over the area around the Democracy Monument in Bangkok until midnight of Sunday.

It has been expected that as many as 50,000 UDD supporters will take part in the rallies.

Pol Maj Gen Wallop said that it is expected that the Ratchadamnoen Avenue will be completely occupied if such a number of demonstrators show up as expected.

However, the Metropolitan Police Bureau may have to close the street for safety reasons if the gathering ends up bigger than estimated.

Based on the UDD’s announced schedule, Pol Maj Gen Wallop expects the Ratchadamnoen Avenue to be cleared for traffic by the morning of Monday, June 25th.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-24 footer_n.gif

Why does the Police and Government let these protest affect others livihood? Why not make Sanum Lang or Lumpini Park the ONLY places where rallys can be held?

Why let the people dictate what they will and will not do?

Get control of this country now!

Too many times the people block roads, put obstackles on the road etc. and then some person comes out and say OK we hear you, now please go home and unblock these roads....Then in 2 months the same happens again..

If you let a child believe that if he/she cries and throws a tantdrem then they can have there way then they will always do this to get what they want...

Dan

Edited by KHUNDAN
  • Like 1

However, the Metropolitan Police Bureau may have to close the street for safety reasons if the gathering ends up bigger than estimated.

It seems that the red shirts beat them to it.

RT@RichardBarrow: 8am About 1,000 Red Shirts have already closed traffic around the Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Klang Road.

I'm glad the police have everything under control.

Red shirts gather at Democracy Monument amid police security

BANGKOK, June 24 – About 500 supporters of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, (UDD), or red shirts, started gathering at Democracy Monument Sunday to commemorate the end of the absolute monarchy 80 years ago.

Traffic has started to congest and if more people show up, Ratchadamnoen Road may be closed to traffic before noon, the time red leaders scheduled as the beginning of their gathering.

Many buses carrying red shirt supporters have been arriving from the provinces.

Pol Maj Gen Wallap Prathummueang, commander of the metropolitan police 6 said four companies totaling 600 police officers have been deployed to provide security from the Phan Fa intersection to the Khok Wua intersection.

According to talks with Red Shirt leaders, Pol Maj Gen Wallop said about 50,000 people are expected at the rally Sunday, so the road may need to be closed to traffic.

However, Red Shirt leaders said the rally will not be prolonged and the crowd will disperse around midnight with the venue absolutely empty by around three am on Monday to clear traffic for the beginning of the work week. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-24

Why does the Police and Government let these protest affect others livihood? Why not make Sanum Lang or Lumpini Park the ONLY places where rallys can be held?

Why let the people dictate what they will and will not do?

Get control of this country now!

Too many times the people block roads, put obstackles on the road etc. and then some person comes out and say OK we hear you, now please go home and unblock these roads....Then in 2 months the same happens again..

If you let a child believe that if he/she cries and throws a tantdrem then they can have there way then they will always do this to get what they want...

Dan

Because what you suggest would give the government the tool to forbid all demonstrations. Just by choosing places that are very difficult to reach.

Didn't the government just announce that they would not tolerate blocking roads? Oh, excuse me, the red shirts aren't actually blocking any roads. They are simply congregating in a fashion that precludes any normal pedestrian or vehicular traffic. It is actually the police that are blocking the roads. Now I understand... I feel much better now. Posted 2012-06-11 14:18:47 Yongyuth warns people against blocking roads BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit Monday warned the people against blocking roads to highlight their grievances, saying the government would no longer tolerate with such practices. Yongyuth said the people could submit their complaints to the government about their grievances but they had to avoid violating the laws by blocking roads. "If they block roads, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the government will not tolerate it. The government will not give in to demands made through mob rules," Yongyuth said.

"the red shirts aren't actually blocking any roads"

Actually, they are.

It seems that the red shirts beat them to it.
RT@RichardBarrow: 8am About 1,000 Red Shirts have already closed traffic around the Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Klang Road.
I'm glad the police have everything under control.

Didn't the government just announce that they would not tolerate blocking roads?

Oh, excuse me, the red shirts aren't actually blocking any roads. They are simply congregating in a fashion that precludes any normal pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

It is actually the police that are blocking the roads. Now I understand... I feel much better now.

Posted 2012-06-11 14:18:47

Yongyuth warns people against blocking roads

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit Monday warned the people against blocking roads to highlight their grievances, saying the government would no longer tolerate with such practices.

Yongyuth said the people could submit their complaints to the government about their grievances but they had to avoid violating the laws by blocking roads.

"If they block roads, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the government will not tolerate it. The government will not give in to demands made through mob rules," Yongyuth said.

That's funny, I thought this government is mob rule

Didn't the government just announce that they would not tolerate blocking roads?

Oh, excuse me, the red shirts aren't actually blocking any roads. They are simply congregating in a fashion that precludes any normal pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

It is actually the police that are blocking the roads. Now I understand... I feel much better now.

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit Monday warned the people against blocking roads to highlight their grievances, saying the government would no longer tolerate with such practices.

Yongyuth said the people could submit their complaints to the government about their grievances but they had to avoid violating the laws by blocking roads.

"If they block roads, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the government will not tolerate it. The government will not give in to demands made through mob rules," Yongyuth said.

They forgot to mention, that only applies if you're a non-redshirt.

"On June 8 police arrested three protest leaders who were sentenced to one month in jail for rallying and blocking roads.

Chavanond said the three led villagers who were angry about not getting compensation in the amount promised by the government, while red shirt protesters who burned down parts of the capital did not have to go to jail, received Bt7.75 million in compensation and some got to become ministers.

"The protesters lost patience and had to come out to rally because they received only Bt250-Bt300 in compensation. The PM has been nothing short of a marketer who only wants to project an image," he said."

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20120617-353372.html

• Like 2

They should release a calendar of events of the protests for the whole year.

Only speaking for just the next 10 days and not the whole year, rallies are scheduled for today, June 24, another on June 28, once again on June 30, and additionally on July 3.

Edited by Buchholz

Democracy = mob rule

Constitutional Republic = government by rule of law

I disagree with any country that has an easily changed constitution as it usually creates a "mob rule" level of government, where fundamental laws are changed on the whim of the party in power. Not much different than a dictator, just slower.

Edited by rakman