Cost Price Sale: Western Meals From 70 Baht!

OldeBellPedr

Every Thursday from 28th June until 26th July, you can enjoy cost price meals at The Olde Bell British Pub!

Every Thursday we will be offering Fish ‘n Chips & Garden Peas for 100Baht, a pint of Chang for 50 baht and Gin & Tonic for 40 Baht.

In addition, on Thursday 28th June, Thursday 12th July and Thursday 26th July we will have the following special offers :-

Fisherman’s Pie served with Homemade Bread

White fish, Smoked Salmon and Prawns 100 Baht

Liver ‘n Bacon served with Mashed Potato and a rich gravy 100 Baht

Sausage Hash Sliced British Sausage, Fried Potato and Onions 70 Baht

Hungarian Pork Stew served with homemade bread 70 baht

Aubergine Parmigiano Vegetarian 100Baht

On Thursday 5th July and Thursday 19th July, we will be serving the following:-

Spaghetti Bolognese with flakes of Garlic 70 Baht

Home Made Beef and Onion Stew with Homemade bread 100 Baht

Tomato and Garlic Tagliatelle Lightly spiced and tossed in

Extra Virgin Olive Oil Vegetarian 80 Baht

Homemade Fish fingers with Chips and Baked Beans 90 Baht

All Thai Visa members are invited to partake of these special low season offers. As these evenings can get busy, please bear in mind the following:

Nearly all these dishes are freshly cooked and can take around 20 minutes to prepare. If you have to wait longer than 20 minutes please let me know or if you can’t find me, ask the cashier for my phone number.

If you have a problem with the food, please tell me and I will try to sort out any difficulties. Please appreciate that we are not the Savoy Grill, Per Se, Alinea, Pierre Gagniere or even Chez Marco! We are a British Pub serving good home cooked meals at sensible prices!

Welcome to The Olde Bell. a slice of Olde Britain in the heart of Chiang Mai

We are located on Loi Kroh Rd, about 200m from the moat, next door to the Raming lodge Hotel, and behind the yellow Bank of Ayuthaya exchange booth

pipo1000 I really don't know rock you crawled out of and obviously you have never been to Britain.If you have you were back-packing and on a very strict budget.A lot of British food,not all may I say, is wholesome and delicious. You don't have an idea about what you have just said on this forum.The Old Bell serves very good British food at a super price.

Sorry pipo1000 you must be French!

• Like 1

the questions is... a dollhouse portion, or normal?

The portions are of Farang dimensions. Most people find that my food fills them up. If you are really not full a portion of Apple pie or a Bakewell Tart and Custard or one of our cheese boards usually fills nagging gaps!

pipo1000 I really don't know rock you crawled out of and obviously you have never been to Britain.If you have you were back-packing and on a very strict budget.A lot of British food,not all may I say, is wholesome and delicious. You don't have an idea about what you have just said on this forum.The Old Bell serves very good British food at a super price.

It is bland as heck! I would rather eat rubber!

You mention the evenings get busy, are these offers all day? At 50B a pint I may come and enjoy an afternoon munch and pint or ten.

What time will this start today?

i will be in chiang mai this afternoon and the mrs would like the fish pie as she hasnt had any for ages.

The offers last all day. We open at 10am for breakfast, so any time after that!

You are definatley starting to scream the word "Desperate"

Your concern is touching WildPikey, but you Just relax and let me sort out the economics of the business!

You just enjoy the special offers!

Edited by OldeBellPedr

It is bland as heck! I would rather eat rubber!

allow me to throw your comment on another thread right back in your face

Don't listen to the disrespectful comments, there are a lot of fools on this website. A great rule to follow, well done

• Like 2

do thai visa members get a discount?

Ha! Ha! well, not on the discounted items, nattydread, but if you live in Chiang Mai you can apply for The Olde Bell Gold Card which entitles members to 10% off all our regular prices and access to our Wednesday 'Members Night' discounts

Bugger - just left town in time to miss all of this.

I could have spent all day eating, drinking and eating again before wobbling off home with a grin on my face. TV and newspapers at hand. The only thing missing is wi-fi. Any chance of getting hooked up?

Looking forward to August's offers to sample on my return licklips.gif

• 2 weeks later...

12th July

Went to this as in CM for the weekend.

A pal had Fisherman's Pie ...... but no homemade bread! (portion a good size)

I had Liver and Bacon with mash ........ portion a bit small but what there was tasted very good.

(I'm assuming this was a 'special offer' sized portion, cos if someone tried to charge me 195bht for that, I would have been really pissed)

I really wanted the Hungarian Pork stew with homemade bread ....... not on menu

The Chang was Chang draught.

Waitress had no idea about the specials even though clearly written on a notice outside.

Tried to bill us 90bht for the beer instead of the offer price of 50bht ...... until I pointed out the error, when again she went outside to look at the menu.

It wasn't an experience I could recommend to a friend.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Hmmmm....

My wife & I just returned from our first visit to The Olde Bell, and we couldn't have been more pleased with both the food and the service.

She had the aubergine parmigiano while I ordered the fish 'n chips, and.... if those were 'special offer' sized portions, I'd be reluctant to tackle the 'regular' sized ones, as it was all we could do to finish them.

I'm not British (and I know how testy you guys can get about these things..), but the fish was well cooked and crispy, and I'd happily order it again. The eggplant seemed a bit under spiced to me (but I'm not Italian either...), although my wife loved it.

Both meals were delivered hot from the kitchen by a friendly and attentive waitress who stopped by several times to ask if we needed anything.

No issues whatsoever with the bill, which amounted to a grand total of..... 360 baht?! (plus a VERY carefully considered tip, of course...)

That's for two full 'western' meals and four cocktails!

We're looking forward to returning in a couple of weeks to sample the pork stew, and..... whatever the heck a "fisherman's pie" might be. Yet another shining example of the British culinary arts, I suspect.

Cheers, Pedr ! Looks like a lot of enticing specials. Can I make a suggestion for those of us who are more visual ? As certain speciasl are on specific recurring days, and I often lose track of time here, how about making a calendar and putting the special items in the empty squares of the dates ? For me that would make it super easy to see what's coming out on next Thursday and plan to be there. Just a small idea. You could post it and then everyone could refer without having to search thru lines of text and jumping around calendar days as words.

And as for more visual ideas, how about posting a pic of this fisherman's pie with the crust cracked so we can get a look how it ocmes out ?

Cheers.

12th July

Went to this as in CM for the weekend.

A pal had Fisherman's Pie ...... but no homemade bread! (portion a good size)

I had Liver and Bacon with mash ........ portion a bit small but what there was tasted very good.

(I'm assuming this was a 'special offer' sized portion, cos if someone tried to charge me 195bht for that, I would have been really pissed)

I really wanted the Hungarian Pork stew with homemade bread ....... not on menu

The Chang was Chang draught.

Waitress had no idea about the specials even though clearly written on a notice outside.

Tried to bill us 90bht for the beer instead of the offer price of 50bht ...... until I pointed out the error, when again she went outside to look at the menu.

It wasn't an experience I could recommend to a friend.

thank you for your feedback Tommo. a couple of issues for the chef, you should have got bread and butter - i assume you asked for it when it didnt arrive, so i will sort out what the problem was. The liver 'n bacon was not a 'special offer size' and this chef has been with us for six years so I'm not sure why you got a small portion, i'll take that up with her.

We do make Hungarian Pork Stew, its not on the menu - yet, but the day girl has only been with us for 3 weeks and didn't know that. My apologies.

I don't quite understand your point about Chang being Chang draught. how else would we serve a pint? I'm delighted that my new girl had the initiative to check the board to ensure you were charged the right price for Chang. Believe me, after three weeks that ranks as great initiative!

If you would care to PM me with some form of ID/codeword, I'd be delighted to offer you a voucher to try any of our offer dishes over the weekend whilst you are in CM to show you that I do value your comments and that we can get things right most of the time!!

Edited by OldeBellPedr

Hmmmm....

My wife & I just returned from our first visit to The Olde Bell, and we couldn't have been more pleased with both the food and the service.

She had the aubergine parmigiano while I ordered the fish 'n chips, and.... if those were 'special offer' sized portions, I'd be reluctant to tackle the 'regular' sized ones, as it was all we could do to finish them.

I'm not British (and I know how testy you guys can get about these things..), but the fish was well cooked and crispy, and I'd happily order it again. The eggplant seemed a bit under spiced to me (but I'm not Italian either...), although my wife loved it.

Both meals were delivered hot from the kitchen by a friendly and attentive waitress who stopped by several times to ask if we needed anything.

No issues whatsoever with the bill, which amounted to a grand total of..... 360 baht?! (plus a VERY carefully considered tip, of course...)

That's for two full 'western' meals and four cocktails!

We're looking forward to returning in a couple of weeks to sample the pork stew, and..... whatever the heck a "fisherman's pie" might be. Yet another shining example of the British culinary arts, I suspect.

Many thanks for your comments landtrout, my wife Beer is chef on a Thursday and shes smiling all over her face at your kind words.

Cheers, Pedr ! Looks like a lot of enticing specials. Can I make a suggestion for those of us who are more visual ? As certain speciasl are on specific recurring days, and I often lose track of time here, how about making a calendar and putting the special items in the empty squares of the dates ? For me that would make it super easy to see what's coming out on next Thursday and plan to be there. Just a small idea. You could post it and then everyone could refer without having to search thru lines of text and jumping around calendar days as words.

And as for more visual ideas, how about posting a pic of this fisherman's pie with the crust cracked so we can get a look how it ocmes out ?

Cheers.

I'll put my mind to that one RTD and see if i can come up with a matrix of some sort. Cheers