Songkran Festival

Is it white or red wine or both. Hey, if it doesn't taste nice we can always throw it out the window!! Add a bit of colour to the proceedings!!

Lisa, you have to get a room on the main Chaweng road... And buy a huge humoungous water cannon.

See you there, will get info about my flight in a couple of weeks. Today I am off to Mombasa, Kenya to see my mum, sis and brother for a family reunion.

Why don't you like it, mitmig?

songkran is a fun time that is being ruined by tourists who think its funny to squirt ice cold water

from "jet-pipes" straight into your face....

last year i was caught like this , lost a contact lens and ended up in hospital to remove the lens from

behind my eye!

on samui , the kids start on the evening of the 11th with small water pistols , the evening of the 12th

gets more hectic with alot of bars starting with the bigger "guns"

the main day is the 13th .... GREAT FUN!! all day , evrybody , just great fun!!!

the 14th is back to kids and the last of the " young men"

15th back to normal.......

allowing yourself to be wet thru for 2 days and having a good supply of plastic bags for money/mobile etc

ensures yourself a time to be remembered!!.......hope to see you!

www.thepfc.com

You can't lose a contact lense behind the eye Pompynick, the eye is sealed in the socket. I wore them for 10 years, until my eyes decided they'd had enough of them, and been there, done that with them.

It is beginning to get a bit out of hand though, still enormous fun but thoughtless people (farang and Thai) are making it dangerous. Last year, sitting in the back of a pick up doing maybe 60kmh, wearing a bucket on my head to protect myself, the force of the water hitting the bucket near on brained me and damaged the frames of my glasses.

I would advise against going out,

I dont mind getting wet, but I do object to sitting down in a resturant and have some fool hurl buckets of water at you (the German owner was NOT amused and shut up shop for 3 days)

But if you do HAVE to go, tee shirt and shorts would be favourite, and leave your camera or anything you have that ISNT waterproof at home (or Hotel)

I found it was mainly Europeans (and in this I include aussies and americans) who were the main culprits for hurling buckets of ice cold water into taxis, resturants, cars.

Never had any problem with the Thai kids or any Thai people (they seemed as pissed as some with the antics of the 'farangs')

We stayed in our hotel until it was over, I hope never to be thee when its on again.

But you'll have to expeirience it yourself (you may regret you missed it )

Just a word of warning, check before you take up any offers of a bottle of wine in your room from ANYONE on an internet site (unlless you know them already, but maybe I'm TOO cautious)

Should be a great time in LOS but it aint..... :o

One period that I have marked up in my calendar with a big RED circle to AVOID.

Can still smell the rank,smelly,fetid,stinking klong water that some prat (americian)thought was funny to discharge in my direction around 1994 in Suk road.(I told him not to -politely)

Visions of an extended stay in Bang Kwang was the only thing that stopped me ramming his swirt gun 3 feet up his anal passage and dropping his mangy carcus down the nearest Skytrain foundation sewer......A/H...however he ran away faster than me.... :D

:D:D

I would advise against going out,

I dont mind getting wet, but I do object to sitting down in a resturant and have some fool hurl buckets of water at you (the German owner was NOT amused and shut up shop for 3 days)

But if you do HAVE to go, tee shirt and shorts would be favourite, and leave your camera or anything you have that ISNT waterproof at home (or Hotel)

I found it was mainly Europeans (and in this I include aussies and americans) who were the main culprits for hurling buckets of ice cold water into taxis, resturants, cars.

Never had any problem with the Thai kids or any Thai people (they seemed as pissed as some with the antics of the 'farangs')

We stayed in our hotel until it was over, I hope never to be thee when its on again.

But you'll have to expeirience it yourself (you may regret you missed it )

Just a word of warning, check before you take up any offers of a bottle of wine in your room from ANYONE on an internet site (unlless you know them already, but maybe I'm TOO cautious)

Two points Pepsi;

1) In my experience of Songkran, mainly in Bangkok where I've lived for some years, both young Thais and tourists are responsible for throwing water. Not as sedate as things used to be, but lets not single out one group when in my experience as I mentioned it's both young Thais and toursists who now get a bit manic.

2) whilst I respect your nobility on the advice about not accepting a bottle of wine in your room from a stranger - quite frankly you should get real!!

No arrangements have been made at all. If you care to read the thread again, it was a lighthearted joke and has been treated as such. :o

I was at chaweng cove resort in 2005 festival and i had a room with the window facing the street and 2 floors up just above seven eleven.

If you went past there im sure you would remember me dumping full buckets of water on people if you were walking past.

It was great fun.

The best was couple walking past (farang) telling people not to wet them and ten they made the mistake walking right under my hotel. the bf wanted to fight me but i was just pissing myself laughing. ahhhh the great times. I think i need to make a trip again this april.

Ive been to the Phuket one in Patong and Koh Samui in Chaweng and i have to say Patong Phuket is much bigger.

Chiang mai is suppose to be the biggest, so maybe go there this year.

I really like Songkran and will be there for it this year.

I have the pleasure of enjoying my birthday on the 16th so it an even longer party for me.

If the thought of getting hurt worries you, don't stay inside maybe just don't spend it in such a full on place, Chaweng for example will def be pretty full on. Samui is getting very busy but, there are still some oasis of calm Bo Phut and Big Buddha....? The Jungle Club someone mentioned earlier looks a cool place to spend it, a little more removed from the action.

Think I'll be in Bangkok.

redrus

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again,

I would like to plan my stay in Samui to coincide with the Songkran Festival in April. I was first told that the main day would be April 15th for the water fights and parties etc.....but now I have been told April 12 and 13.

Can anyone tell me what happens and which dates would be best to experience?

Thanks so much!

L

Not sure if you're still reading this, but, personally, the best place for songkran is not in Samui, its up north in Chiangmai, lampang, chiangrai. FUN FUN FUN :o

I wont be there THANK F***,if I want get wet, I'll use the sea or the pools,

No matter what festivals there are, you can be sure the Brits will get pissed and act the same as they do at home, only reason theycan is the police are so lax out there, its not just because of the Welsh girls murder that tourist bookings are down 30%, hope it drops even further, maybe someone will take notice and clean the place up

Not sure if you're still reading this, but, personally, the best place for songkran is not in Samui, its up north in Chiangmai, lampang, chiangrai. FUN FUN FUN :o

I'm still reading it, Misplaced....thanks for the update! All booked and ready to go to Samui in April....might do Chang Mai next year...

L

Getting my ticket sorted out for Samui this week. Should be there for the waterfest as it also coincides with Easter here in Europe. Perhaps we can have a meet up of TV members who are there at the same time?

And break open a couple of bottles. I usually stay at Chaweng Gardens.