Thai FM Surapong Informs US Envoy About Nasa Issue: U-Tapao

webfact

U-TAPAO

Surapong informs US envoy about Nasa issue

THE NATION

30185046-01_big.JPG

Kenney

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul has called US Ambassador Kristie Kenney to inform her personally about the Cabinet's resolution to forward Nasa's request to use U-tapao Airport for a weather-research project to Parliament for consideration.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said yesterday that the US envoy assured Surapong that Washington understood and respected the Thai government's decision.

Kenney also tweeted that the White House remained "committed to Thai-US cooperation in science, health, environment that benefits all people".

The US National Aeronautics and Space Administration's request to use the naval airbase for two months in August and September became a hot issue in Thailand because of the country's political conflict.

The opposition Democrat Party, which initiated cooperation with Nasa in 2010 when it was in power, accused the government of harbouring an ulterior motive, as granting permission to use the airbase for military purposes could be traded off for the US granting an entry visa to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The opposition tagged along with some senators in demanding the government to subject the proposal to parliamentary approval in line with Article 190 of the Constitution.

The Cabinet on Tuesday agreed to pass the issue to Parliament in accordance with

Article 179, which does not require a vote after a debate.

Parliament, which is in recess, is scheduled to reconvene on August 1, which would be too late for Nasa to implement the project.

Nasa will make the decision on how to proceed and whether it would return to conduct research in Thailand in the future, Thani said.

Senator Somchai Sawaengkan said the government should call for a special session of Parliament to take up this specific issue since six weeks remained until the research project was supposed to get off the ground.

Defence Minister Sukumpol Suwannathat suggested that the opposition had jeopardised the valuable project by raising a lot of nonsense suspicions and mixing it up with military spying and Chinese sensitivities.

"So who will take responsibility as our country has now lost benefits from this scientific project?" he asked.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, who was prime minister in the previous government, said the opposition would not accept any finger-pointing from the government over the project's delay.

The opposition has no authority to dictate the government's actions, he said. If the government had handled the matter with transparency, the project could be continued without any problem, he said.

The government had plenty of time since last year and could still have facilitated the project quickly through a special parliamentary session but chose the other way to shift the blame on the opposition, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-28

The government have been in power since last August, but they did nothing about this project until the last minute. Trying to pass laws to whitewash their master was more important than benefits for the country.

Shame on them.

• Like 1

Trying to pass laws to whitewash their master was more important than benefits for the country.

Sorry it was about a NASA science project, The Democrats then turned it into a hairbrained conspiracy theory involving Thaksin. I'm looking forward to see what they come up with next : )

If you have no issue's to debate might as well stir the conspiracy pot, maybe get a little hysteria to bloom.

Trying to pass laws to whitewash their master was more important than benefits for the country.

Sorry it was about a NASA science project, The Democrats then turned it into a hairbrained conspiracy theory involving Thaksin. I'm looking forward to see what they come up with next : )

If you have no issue's to debate might as well stir the conspiracy pot, maybe get a little hysteria to bloom.

well, to be completely honest, I am not so sure that there is nothing to debate. I am sure that there is no conspiracy theory, because I can not see what the dems have to gain by blocking a project if it is useful and beneficial to the country.

US confirms NASA project decision all up to Thai government

BANGKOK, 28 June 2012 (NNT) – The US has affirmed that the decision to allow the NASA project to take place in Thailand is all up to the government.

US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie A. Kenney said that the United States government respects the decision by the Thai Cabinet, which refused to allow the US National Aeronautic and Space Administration (NASA) to use of the country’s U-Tapao naval airbase for atmospheric studies.

Mrs. Kenney stated that the US has always held Thailand in high regard when it comes to the collaboration in scientific, technological and innovation development.

When asked if the NASA studies will be moved to somewhere else, the US Ambassador said that it remains too early to draw any conclusion on the issue.

However, Mrs. Kenney affirmed that the US government still intends to engage with Thailand in all areas from science to social affairs and healthcare.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-28 footer_n.gif

So why did the government sit on it for almost a year?

• Like 1

You are as liberal with your ignorance in this matter as you are with your apostrophes.

The truth is nobody knows and the PTP sat on it, tried to avoid following Parliamentary protocol and clammed up when it was asked to bring it through the correct channels

• Like 1

This whole debacle lies in the hands of the Science and Technology ministry.

The next issue that they are dithering about is a replacement satellite system for the THEOS-1 satellite which has been in orbit since 2008 and is the main source of Earth Observation data for the GISTDA agency, and is used extensively for crop and flood monitoring.

As a new satellite will take around 4 years to procure and launch, and the existing satellite only has an estimated lifetime of seven years, there is already a 1 year "gap" in coverage.

It could be that the existing satellite may last longer (a sister satellite for Taiwan is currently operating since 2004), but this cannot be guaranteed.

If the present satellite fails for any reason, then the Thai government will not have data in case there are more annual floods, and will have to pay other countries agencies for access to their data (Europe now is having to do this after the failure of their largest satellite).

Tender documentation was supposed to have been issued at the beginning of this year, but is constantly delayed because of budget discussions and side issues.

It shows a complete lack of forward planning.

My message to Mr T. next time I am in Dubai will be - sort this out - heads need to roll!!

Crobe

• Like 1

It's to hard to believe...after last years disaster ,how the hell can they knock back important climate information being handed to them on a silver platter...very strange...

The same way as they did not take up the offer of search and rescue helicopter assistance - incompetence

They were only interested in using the flood disaster for their own political purposes.

I have personal experience last year of taking 3 pickups of assistance up to Lopburi, paid for by myself and other friends, only to be stopped at a petrol station on route by a gang of red-shirts wanting us to put their banner on the aid - bunch of sh*ts

luckily there were more of us than them so we ran them off

Crobe

It's to hard to believe...after last years disaster ,how the hell can they knock back important climate information being handed to them on a silver platter...very strange...

The same way as they did not take up the offer of search and rescue helicopter assistance - incompetence

They were only interested in using the flood disaster for their own political purposes.

I have personal experience last year of taking 3 pickups of assistance up to Lopburi, paid for by myself and other friends, only to be stopped at a petrol station on route by a gang of red-shirts wanting us to put their banner on the aid - bunch of sh*ts

Crobe

In case you didn't know it, the red shirts (in power) wanted NASA it was Abhisit (the other guys) who stopped NASA and made it go for debate in parliament.

well, to be completely honest, I am not so sure that there is nothing to debate. I am sure that there is no conspiracy theory, because I can not see what the dems have to gain by blocking a project if it is useful and beneficial to the country.

I agree with you they had nothing to gain. Yet Abhist saw fit t block it.

I am not a fan of Abhist for this and a few other reasons but I do believe he is the best person to run Thailand.

Losers 1 Thailand

Winners No One

I agree with you they had nothing to gain. Yet Abhist saw fit t block it.

I am not a fan of Abhist for this and a few other reasons but I do believe he is the best person to run Thailand.

Losers 1 Thailand

Winners No One

I agree with you. But it would be nice if the posters on Thai Visa could get something as simple as this one correct. Reds Wanted NASA Abhisit did not want NASA.

Crobe

In case you didn't know it, the red shirts (in power) wanted NASA it was Abhisit (the other guys) who stopped NASA and made it go for debate in parliament.

That was because the PT sat on it so long that it was not possible to go for debate. Admittedly Abhist was a jerk but he was not alone in his actions It was a bipartisan effort.

Also the red shirts in power are very few. They take their orders from the PT and the ones who are not in power are their some time unarmed army.

The whole point of having and executive branch of government,

is to NOT have to take very question to moths or years of

Parliamentary debate, when a simple and timely executive

decisions can be made. This is one of those times.

Abhisit's questions could easily been answered,

and someone from NASA could have been asked to speak.

And it's not a red/yellow issue,but a Thaksin Clan vs the country issue,

This could have been handled well, but the government made the Dems

and/or Yellows antennai go up by their inept, delayed, furtive and

unnecessarily secretive handling of the whole thing.

Edited by animatic

Crobe

That was because the PT sat on it so long that it was not possible to go for debate. Admittedly Abhist was a jerk but he was not alone in his actions It was a bipartisan effort.

Also the red shirts in power are very few. They take their orders from the PT and the ones who are not in power are their some time unarmed army.

Maybe you are correct. The way I read it was that Yingluck's people did not think it required parliamentary approval.

Yeh get out US, we don't need or want you.......YET...laugh.png

I'm very glad you posted your opinion using your "Sponsor" tag. Count yourself minus 1 customer.

i guess he doesnt realise what he says will reflect on his business......

Your post comes off as very anti-American. You have to right to be anti-American if you want but when you post your views with your sponsor tag I have the right to take note of that and not patronize your business. I hope all other Americans who read this forum also take note and also do not patronize your business.

... actually, I read his comment as a slap in the Thai face, the operative message being "YET."

... the inference I get is that Thais are duplicitous.

... the "YET" occurs when the Godless Chinese turn-off the Mekong River until Indochina bends to their will, or similar such extortions... maybe it is the Spratley's ... maybe it is trade issues ... maybe it is a military presence ... they are capable of anything.

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 1

please continue:

NASA cancels climate studies in Thailand

image_2012062813011431ADDDD8-0612-73C1-8DDF3C8F86152344.jpg

BANGKOK, June 28 - The United States National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) cancelled its plan to conduct atmospheric studies this year following the Thai Cabinet's decision to refer the matter for deliberation in a joint sitting of Parliament.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa....es-in-thailand/

//CLOSED//