Best Gaeng Som North Of Bangkok?

TheGhostWithin

Hi all,

I am going on a bit of a journey, and have a love of Gaeng Som. Though I will not be heading south on my adventure, my options are open virtually anywhere else.

Where does one find the best Gaeng Som Pla in Thailand? Corner stalls or restaurants, it does not bother me - I have a hard stomach and like it very spicy (true southern style).

Cheers

In my opinion restaurants are a complete waste of time.

You best option is to head to the local market and look for the Muslim stalls or sit down stalls run by Muslims.

Bangkok is your best option, many Southern owned eating places.

And forget trying to find anything resembling my personal favourite, kua kling.

Hi RGS2001UK,

Thank you for the response. My partner is from Yala, so hence my craving for good Gaeng Som. I have a bit of a dislike for Bangkoks eating culture, which is gradually forming more of a western "snatch, grab and gulp on-the-run" culture, a little sad compared to the neumerous glasses of cha yen I used to consume with my friends passing the hours whilst eating kueay teaw moo on the sides of nameless streets. Thai eating culture is still in BKK, but not as fluid as it once was IMO. The world changes us all as time passes I guess.

I really would like to go up country, either north or north east, hence my wonder of where I would find good Gaeng Som in these parts. I have plans to head to Ubon, Surin, Roi Et, Khon Kaen, Loei, Phitsanulok, Chiang Mai and Lop Buri before re-gathering myself.

we live in Suphanburi and gaeng som is a popular local dish so you can probably find it at points further north without probs...

I can't stand the shit meself and we almost got kicked out of our apartment in Abu Dhabi when the stink from the preparation pissed off the neighbors...

we live in Suphanburi and gaeng som is a popular local dish so you can probably find it at points further north without probs...

I can't stand the shit meself and we almost got kicked out of our apartment in Abu Dhabi when the stink from the preparation pissed off the neighbors...

Ha ha, one could also complain about the locals food in Abu Dhabi! But that is another conversation all together - thanks for making me laugh.

Singburi sounds like it may be worth stopping by, I will be in nearby Lopburi so it will be worth it, I have a lot of time to explore and enjoy.

Thank you for your time and help.

Gaeng Som is one of those dishes thats served all over the country, the trouble is, its often copied but never equalled.

Up country it has more of a sour taste to me, more like a gaeng priaw, it lacks the punch or bite found down south.

The other problem with what passes for Thai food these days is two fold, tourist food, look at what passes for Tom Yam or Green Curry served up in hotel restaurants, and the introduction of store bought pastes and sauces.

These so called cooks no longer make their own pastes, where each had their own individual character but still remained true to the original taste.

Bland store bought pastes and sauces passed off onto unsuspecting tourists who know no better.

Off course its not limited to only hotels and restaurants, many younger Thais are no longer able to cook in the traditional method, they either dont have the time to shop for the ingredients and make their own food, or they actually dont know how to cook, for the simple reason they have never had to, much easier to pick up a bag of food on the way home.

TGW, was talking to a Southern friend last night, he said Ayuttaya is about the furthest north you will find a decent southern style Gaeng Som.

Please report back with a report of your road trip.

RGS2001uk,

Thank you for that. I will be heading to Ayyuthaya, as I have never been there - my fiance will not take me, as she has been there and says it is too touristy for me. How exciting! Will post a report on this thread, as well as photos hopefully once I have been through if you follow this thread.

Expecting to pass through Ayyutaya some time between the 15th and 20th of July.

RGS2001uk,

Thank you for that. I will be heading to Ayyuthaya, as I have never been there - my fiance will not take me, as she has been there and says it is too touristy for me. How exciting! Will post a report on this thread, as well as photos hopefully once I have been through if you follow this thread.

Expecting to pass through Ayyutaya some time between the 15th and 20th of July.

yeah...Ayutthaya is certainly worth a visit (spectacular temple ruins from the 1500s all over the place) but the local cuisine ain't much...I go there from Suphan on immigration business and always get lunch locally and the wife has never ordered the local gaeng som...just sticks to kwiteo...

lots of tourists but the place is really something to see and popular/touristy...

Southern style Gaeng Som is difficult enough to find in Bangkok; finding it north of bangkok may be like banging your head into a brick wall, I doubt you will find anything other than the more bland central style. It'll be a hassle as you'll have ask every restaurant for 'pak tai' style, and if they don't have a southerner on staff, well, good luck...

I agree. I think your best chance of finding one if buying from markets, is to find out where the stall holder is from; if they're from the south, you're likely to get a better one. It's not a sure fire method, but may increase your chances. The places in Bkk and the north that do decent southern food are few and and far between.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies and putting up with my slow responses - I have decided on a trek to Ayyuthaya to find some good Gaeng Som, may spend a few days there. Thanks to all that replied, mods you may now close the thread.

In Bangkok, try around Phetburi Sois 5-7. There are a few Muslim restaurants there. One restaurant is owned by a man from Pattani. They serve mussaman with goat.

Thanks for all the replies and putting up with my slow responses - I have decided on a trek to Ayyuthaya to find some good Gaeng Som, may spend a few days there. Thanks to all that replied, mods you may now close the thread.

In Bangkok, try around Phetburi Sois 5-7. There are a few Muslim restaurants there. One restaurant is owned by a man from Pattani. They serve mussaman with goat.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not all that fond of Gaeng Som but goat curry is right up my street (soi) smile.png