Canadian Sisters Deaths: Probe Finds More Information But No Clues

webfact

To be fair, forensic results can take a while weeks into months depending on tests being done! My guess is not many people who comment here have medical training. Sure understand the family wanting answers but let the process work its way thorugh, and no doubt they will keep pressure on in the hope of finding out what did happen. As I hope.

Have lived in Thailand for a few years and receive the updates to thaivisa daily, this is my first comment due I find most of the comments are from people who dont really want to live here or use the fourm to moan! Come on guys we all live here for a reason, or why not go home and live in our fantastic Western countries!

The article is written in a way that suggests the authorities are guilty of yet another cover up of tourist deaths. Indeed results from autopsies can take some time but it is as well to be vigilant. Without criticism in foreign media, as in this case, the police would feel that there was no downside to covering things up which is what they are often under pressure to do, particularly with foreign victims and/or influential suspects. There are many cases where foreign deaths have clearly been covered up, going back to the notorious murder of 16 year old Sherry Duncan in the 70s in which every one knows who had her murdered but the real culprit was never charged while several innocent men without money or connections rotted and died in prison wrongfully for it. More recently there was the rape and murder of Kirsty Jones in Chiang Mai, thought by British police to have a been perpetrated by a Thai policeman, the murder of a Canadian man in Pai, the mystery deaths at the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai etc, etc.

I have no doubt what you are saying, but the a process is in place, lets wait and see what the out come is.......

Edited by Havco

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious, do these things just happen to tourists or do the thai people die from the same thing? On a regular basis.

For Thai people, dying of "natural causes" is more readily accepted. For a Buddhist, death is a natural part of life. Therefore, similar cases would, most likely, go unreported.

Are you saying that death, for us non Buddhists, is not natural? blink.png

"Accepting" is less natural.

To be fair, forensic results can take a while weeks into months depending on tests being done! My guess is not many people who comment here have medical training. Sure understand the family wanting answers but let the process work its way thorugh, and no doubt they will keep pressure on in the hope of finding out what did happen. As I hope.

Have lived in Thailand for a few years and receive the updates to thaivisa daily, this is my first comment due I find most of the comments are from people who dont really want to live here or use the fourm to moan! Come on guys we all live here for a reason, or why not go home and live in our fantastic Western countries!

Strange point of view..... So 12 or 13 tourists have died mysteriously in hotel rooms, and the Thai government has no idea why. Not only that , but in the case of the Downtown Inn did everything possible to obstruct finding of the truth. And if a long term expat such as myself dares to question these deaths, I am supposed to go back to my home country ???? Zzzzzzz.....

Get a grip and reset your moral compass....

Strike a bit close to home for me, as I have stayed at the Downtown Hotel before , as well as having stayed on Phi Phi Island at a guest house. Guess I should feel lucky I am alive....

Well written, EyesWideOpen. I agree with you. I am so sick and tired of some folks telling people : 'If you don't like it in Thailand, go back to your country'. I am soooooo sick of this sentence. Just giving an example: An American living in Thailand can criticise many aspects of Thailand, and also, a Thai living in the US, can criticise many aspects of the US. Neither of them deserves to be told to go back home to his/her country.

As for this case, I have a bad feeling that there is a high chance that we will never know the cause of death of these women.

Jemjem. Yes it is easy to criticse; are you saying you are a victim? Interesting to see you have a "bad feeling" how long have you lived here, or should we not bother about science and a possible credible outcome!

hello

first i wanted to ask english readers to forgive me about my bad english.. i hope i will make my self understandable...

about poisoning there is a very dangerous poison that locals use for kill dogs, normally this poison is used only to kill bugs, if used in a low ammount it is not harmfull for people, BUT.... if it is used in large quantities that poison can kill in less than 1 hour the symptoms are: diahorea, vomiting, nerves ans muscles paraliisis, death by suffocation, the poison diseapears from the body after a few hours, if by chance the person dnt die the poison completly diseapears from the body with no consequenses

the poison is presented in a platic box no mention of its toxicity no where on the box... and the picture on the box shows.... food...! vegetables in this case...

this poison can be buy very easily ...

some people died allready after ingested that poison, for example, in a restaurant some one used that poison to aad to food( by stupidity, but remember that the pic on the box represents... food, veggetables,..)

so that a possibility

an other possiblity: some one used that poison in huge ammounts, to disinfect the room from bugs( it kills all the bugs very efficiently) if used on mattresses people can inhale the poison dust by night if the quantity inhaled is sufficient the person starts to vomit, have diahorea, the poison than attacks the muscles ans in less than 20 minutes or so is in the blood stream, than the person can not move any more and suffocates, because of muscles paralysis

the last posisiblity i see is that some one use the poison intentionnally, and put that poison in some one s food... for some reason

by the mail i just want to warn people and to give information about my experience( 3 of my dogs has been killed that way during 10 years, and they were not small dogs.. they weigthed around 15 kols each..they eat the poison and died in the circumstances written above, i bought thaqt poison very easily to see what was it.. and i hav e been very surprised about the presentation box, and the fact that was not presented as a poison but an insecticid to kill bugs.. ) im at your disposal for further infos,

i m a father my self i understand how horrible it is for the parents of these two young adults

hope the case will be resolved before it happens again

Strange point of view..... So 12 or 13 tourists have died mysteriously in hotel rooms, and the Thai government has no idea why. Not only that , but in the case of the Downtown Inn did everything possible to obstruct finding of the truth. And if a long term expat such as myself dares to question these deaths, I am supposed to go back to my home country ???? Zzzzzzz.....

Get a grip and reset your moral compass....

Strike a bit close to home for me, as I have stayed at the Downtown Hotel before , as well as having stayed on Phi Phi Island at a guest house. Guess I should feel lucky I am alive....

Are you trying to say every mysterious death in your "great" country has been solved? I think you are the one wearing rose tinted glasses!

My second comment referred to a lot of comments on here seem to just be people moaning about Thailand so the point is; if you don't like it go home!

And if you're already home (i.e., Thailand IS your home, whether others appreciate your presence or not), don't be browbeaten by these self-appointed Thought Police. wai.gif

Arent the Police there to serve and protect, up hold justice! :)

The article is written in a way that suggests the authorities are guilty of yet another cover up of tourist deaths. Indeed results from autopsies can take some time but it is as well to be vigilant. Without criticism in foreign media, as in this case, the police would feel that there was no downside to covering things up which is what they are often under pressure to do, particularly with foreign victims and/or influential suspects. There are many cases where foreign deaths have clearly been covered up, going back to the notorious murder of 16 year old Sherry Duncan in the 70s in which every one knows who had her murdered but the real culprit was never charged while several innocent men without money or connections rotted and died in prison wrongfully for it. More recently there was the rape and murder of Kirsty Jones in Chiang Mai, thought by British police to have a been perpetrated by a Thai policeman, the murder of a Canadian man in Pai, the mystery deaths at the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai etc, etc.

I have no doubt what you are saying, but the a process is in place, lets wait and see what the out come is.......

we are seeing the process. From the Thai authorities, the process is:

>>> initially; may be ibuporfin, or may be poison fish

>>> two weeks later; inconclusive

>>> a month later; there may be more results coming, we don't know. But until then, inconclusive. By the way, we didn't find any results from a previous double death scenario, same island, similar victims, similar circumstances ....so we're going to use the same methodology to deal with these most recent deaths.

Expect 'the process' from Thai authorities to be much the same: stalling, vagueness, pledges to do something, more vagueness, until, one by one, people lose interest, and tourism in that region can get back to money changing hands.

I am curious, do these things just happen to tourists or do the thai people die from the same thing? On a regular basis.

For Thai people, dying of "natural causes" is more readily accepted. For a Buddhist, death is a natural part of life. Therefore, similar cases would, most likely, go unreported.

Are you saying that death, for us non Buddhists, is not natural? blink.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif 55555

vesselsThe sisters died at exactly the same time, and the symptoms were not those of e-coli as described in the above link, so it's very unlikely to have been e-coli. The sisters had blackened nails, a rash, bleeding skin/ blood under the skin, bleeding gums, as well as vomiting (as reported by the bangkok post). God knows what causes these symptoms. A very very strange story, and I think that the authorities might be genuinely bemused as to what might have caused these deaths.

The answer is likely something thats highly toxic that breaks down blood vessels

hello

first i wanted to ask english readers to forgive me about my bad english.. i hope i will make my self understandable...

about poisoning there is a very dangerous poison that locals use for kill dogs, normally this poison is used only to kill bugs, if used in a low ammount it is not harmfull for people, BUT.... if it is used in large quantities that poison can kill in less than 1 hour the symptoms are: diahorea, vomiting, nerves ans muscles paraliisis, death by suffocation, the poison diseapears from the body after a few hours, if by chance the person dnt die the poison completly diseapears from the body with no consequenses

the poison is presented in a platic box no mention of its toxicity no where on the box... and the picture on the box shows.... food...! vegetables in this case...

by the mail i just want to warn people and to give information about my experience( 3 of my dogs has been killed that way during 10 years, and they were not small dogs.. they weigthed around 15 kols each..they eat the poison and died in the circumstances written above, i bought thaqt poison very easily to see what was it.. and i hav e been very surprised about the presentation box, and the fact that was not presented as a poison but an insecticid to kill bugs.. ) im at your disposal for further infos,

Can you post a photo of the product and the type of shop that sells it.

• Like 1

.. BUT.... if it is used in large quantities that poison can kill in less than 1 hour the symptoms are: diahorea, vomiting, nerves ans muscles paraliisis, death by suffocation, the poison diseapears from the body after a few hours, if by chance the person dnt die the poison completly diseapears from the body with no consequenses ...

how did you find out?

"large quantities" means what?

how do you feed any person powder in large quantities?

Edited by dingdang

It would help if people would read the article so that they had a half a clue what they are talking about.

The handling of the sisters death's were handled the same way other cases were. Then they were sent for autopsies to look for every thing not just one single item.

That was not done in the other cases. It is a completely different way of handling it. But if you read the article you would lose your chance to bash Thai's so don't read it and bash away.

Flame on.

As for the Canadian Press I doubt it made a ripple. The girls come from Quebeck where they think the world revolves around the French Canadian and in all liklly hood they would have made it a huge deal.

I"m sorry but death is a huge deal, no matter where they were from. Who cares if they make a huge deal? They should as two girls died far before their time and surely the families are hurting and stunned. They're dead and they deserve to be remembered and the family deserves answers. However I agree with your analysis that people die mysteriously all over the world and their deaths are not always solved. We are all human after all and we still don't know a lot about the world, science and the human body.

• Like 2

It would help if people would read the article so that they had a half a clue what they are talking about.

The handling of the sisters death's were handled the same way other cases were. Then they were sent for autopsies to look for every thing not just one single item.

That was not done in the other cases. It is a completely different way of handling it. But if you read the article you would lose your chance to bash Thai's so don't read it and bash away.

Flame on.

As for the Canadian Press I doubt it made a ripple. The girls come from Quebeck where they think the world revolves around the French Canadian and in all liklly hood they would have made it a huge deal.

I"m sorry but death is a huge deal, no matter where they were from. Who cares if they make a huge deal? They should as two girls died far before their time and surely the families are hurting and stunned. They're dead and they deserve to be remembered and the family deserves answers. However I agree with your analysis that people die mysteriously all over the world and their deaths are not always solved. We are all human after all and we still don't know a lot about the world, science and the human body.

You miss read me I was referring to the Thai culture. Yes it is a big deal to them but they except it far better than westerners. I could be wrong but so far I have not noticed them doing a lot of what happened how could this happen they seem to except it and move on with there lives. Yes the family deserves answers but as I said and you agreed with we can not always give them.

My sincere condolences to the parents I have no idea of what they are going through. I just know what I went through when my youngest drowned in a accident. It is not some thing I would wish on any body. We never expect to outlive are kids and the shock is undescribable.

Your statement is profoundly ignorant and racist.

The story received significant media attention throughout Canada. I subscribe to multiple news feeds and I received stories from a diverse range of media sources including Sun Media, CBC, Thompson-Reuters, RDI, Bell Media and The Globe & Mail. The stories received prominent attention in key english media markets, with several of the largest english media outlets providing special reports. Why wouldn't the stories have received attention in the local Quebec market? The two women came from a close knit rural community where a tragedy of this nature cuts to the bone. I listened to one french radio interview on the internet, where they were interviewing an Australian journalist and he was describing other situations involving Australian and New Zealand nationals.

At this time, the media attention has calmed down because the journalists know that preliminary results from the Quebec Coroner's office would not be available for a minimum 30 days. On an expedited case, it can take 90 days for the most test results to be released. This is due in large part because of the time needed to isolate chemicals or to grow cultures and then analyze them.

I strongly suggest that you think before typing or at least wait until the condition that caused you to write in such a hateful, ignorant manner passes. Quebec does not include a k. The only people that have historically used a k were those that sought to denigrate and belittle one of Canada's founding peoples.

I lived there. That is experience far different from sensationalism for the purpose of selling a news paper.

You can not believe how sorry I am that I misspelled Quebec. It hurts me to my vary core. I might not sleep for a week. Can you tell me to whom would I report my spell checker letting a horrible thing like that happen.

You claim "Your statement is profoundly ignorant and racist". The your being me.

I disagree it is a statement based on hands on experience living in Canada for 33 years and if claiming French Canadians are self centered to the extreme and have a superior attitude to any one who is not French Canadian I guess it is being a raciest. I don't call it that I call it being honest. I have met French Canadians living in British Columbia who do not like to admit they are one. Don't know if it is true or not but I have heard that even in France they are not popular.

But you keep on reading news papers they will never give you a false idea. NOT

edit

If you are going to cheery pick out of the piece I wrote make sure you know what it says. I did say it was probably a big deal in Quebec.

Edited by hellodolly

Thanks a lot for your kind words from a French Canadian; and please at least, spell "Quebec" properly if you cannot say something positive about it... These types of useless comments shall be purged...

• Like 1

The story received significant media attention throughout Canada. I subscribe to multiple news feeds and I received stories from a diverse range of media sources including Sun Media, CBC, Thompson-Reuters, RDI, Bell Media and The Globe & Mail. The stories received prominent attention in key english media markets, with several of the largest english media outlets providing special reports. Why wouldn't the stories have received attention in the local Quebec market? The two women came from a close knit rural community where a tragedy of this nature cuts to the bone. I listened to one french radio interview on the internet, where they were interviewing an Australian journalist and he was describing other situations involving Australian and New Zealand nationals.

At this time, the media attention has calmed down because the journalists know that preliminary results from the Quebec Coroner's office would not be available for a minimum 30 days. On an expedited case, it can take 90 days for the most test results to be released. This is due in large part because of the time needed to isolate chemicals or to grow cultures and then analyze them.

I strongly suggest that you think before typing or at least wait until the condition that caused you to write in such a hateful, ignorant manner passes. Quebec does not include a k. The only people that have historically used a k were those that sought to denigrate and belittle one of Canada's founding peoples.

From the same upset French Canadian - thank you geriatrickid - well articulated indeed !

• Like 2

Phi phi and Samui and koh Phangan are islands without law nor faith.

The almighty local mafia ( the police). Control every single thing or person stepping the islands. They sell drugs, rape, kill etc. And who will make them pay? The police? Ha ha ha. I know what i am talking about... Even today the embassadors of over 10 countries have complained to Thai Authorities because the Country dosen't protect foreigners.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

There are to many questions unexplained for my liking.

Where are the two Portugues men that were last seen with the two sisters ?

Is Interpol working with them to find these guys as they may provide clues ?

Not even warm mate. The two Portuguese guys were hoping to get lucky but instead struck out. The pathways are kinda dark at Phi Phi at night so one of them walked the girl back to her room. However he did not get past the door. Not saying they don't have any useful information, just that they are not murder suspects.. However the similarities to the senseless Chiang Mai deaths is disturbing...

Thanks a lot for your kind words from a French Canadian; and please at least, spell "Quebec" properly if you cannot say something positive about it... These types of useless comments shall be purged...

Ditto from another French Canadian from Quebec and not Quebeck ...!! Ouf!!!... And with a name like "Hellodolly" what else could be expected as an intelligent post !! Pfffffffff!!!

Edited by annabel

.. BUT.... if it is used in large quantities that poison can kill in less than 1 hour the symptoms are: diahorea, vomiting, nerves ans muscles paraliisis, death by suffocation, the poison diseapears from the body after a few hours, if by chance the person dnt die the poison completly diseapears from the body with no consequenses ...

how did you find out?

"large quantities" means what?

how do you feed any person powder in large quantities?

A cup of tea can be enough using polonium as the British Police found in a teapot at London's Millennium Hotel where the Russian intelligence officer Alexander Litvinenko had stayed before he died in 2006.

I am, of course , not an expert but I find this story a bit strange .... how come in 2012 no one in Thailand is capable to tell the cause of death of those tourists ? Is it a cover up by the authorities who want to tell that coming to Thailand is 100% safe ? are there some other reasons ? The case of those sisters is not unique , remember the strange death in Chiang mai guest house. It does comfort me in avoiding certain kind of cheap guest houses here. I surely can say that we will NEVER know the truth.

As far as I remember it was very clear that the deaths in Chiang Mai were caused by chemicals used to spray bed bugs.. These chemicals are deadly if used in too high a dosis. Phi Phi is a different story.

There are to many questions unexplained for my liking.

Where are the two Portugues men that were last seen with the two sisters ?

Is Interpol working with them to find these guys as they may provide clues ?

Not even warm mate. The two Portuguese guys were hoping to get lucky but instead struck out. The pathways are kinda dark at Phi Phi at night so one of them walked the girl back to her room. However he did not get past the door. Not saying they don't have any useful information, just that they are not murder suspects.. However the similarities to the senseless Chiang Mai deaths is disturbing...

You're saying 'they (the Portuguese guys) are not murder suspects.' I tend to agree, but we will never know if authorities don't follow up adeptly. It's possible the P guys over-administered some sort of 'date drug' and it went terribly bad. No sex that night, shucks, "goodnight girls, hope you feel better in the morning." ..... or a date-rape drug slipped by local guy(s). Again, we'll never know, because the Thai authorities aren't doing a thorough investigation.

These chemicals are deadly if used in too high a dosis. Phi Phi is a different story.

How do any of us know that Phi Phi is a different story? Perhaps that's your personal opinion. Either way, the forensic results are officially 'inconclusive.' Thai officialdom is hoping this whole episode will blow away and be forgotten.

From the same upset French Canadian - thank you geriatrickid - well articulated indeed !

Hey guys, we all know that Canada is over there somewhere America................isnt it? PS - I am from Strayyya, and don't get bent out of shape because of a spelling error, but admire your patriotism

Hey guys, we all know that Canada is over there somewhere America................isnt it? PS - I am from Strayyya, and don't get bent out of shape because of a spelling error, but admire your patriotism

I was just ticked off because it's like saying Australians are criminals because England dumped its poor and disadvantaged 200 years ago. I'm not French Canadian, but I studied and lived there. In any case, I'm irritable on this subject because I know the lab facilities and the calibre of people that work there. I'm frustrated because people don't understand that it takes time to run the tests. It's summer vacation time too. It's a mess to get anything done in the month of July especially the last 2 weeks when so many people take time off. Same thing at the labs elsewhere in Canada. In a country of ice and snow, you can't blame them for wanting to profit form a bit of sun. In plain language, I won't be surprised if there is nothing definitive for a few more weeks. I feel for the poor parents sitting there waiting and not knowing.

I was just ticked off because it's like saying Australians are criminals because England dumped its poor and disadvantaged 200 years ago. I'm not French Canadian, but I studied and lived there. In any case, I'm irritable on this subject because I know the lab facilities and the calibre of people that work there. I'm frustrated because people don't understand that it takes time to run the tests. It's summer vacation time too. It's a mess to get anything done in the month of July especially the last 2 weeks when so many people take time off. Same thing at the labs elsewhere in Canada. In a country of ice and snow, you can't blame them for wanting to profit form a bit of sun. In plain language, I won't be surprised if there is nothing definitive for a few more weeks. I feel for the poor parents sitting there waiting and not knowing.

Isn't that true about the Australians?

You want funny look at GKs post claimed to have lived in Quebec. Knows all about there standing in Canada. Misspell any other province in Canada and you will not get the whining about it you do from the French Canadians. Walk down the streets of Montreal and see if you can spot a sign in English. It is illegal.

Walk into any store in Canada and see if you can buy some thing that does not have a name and description on it in French. Never mind that at the Max there is probably only 2% in some of the province's that are not English speakers just speak French. Would be willing to bet there are more that speak only Chinese than French in BC but the stores do not have to put Chinese on every thing. And then to top it all off he calls Canada the land of Ice and snow. Not only clueless about the French Canadians but clueless about Canada. He was probably in Iceland thinking he was in Canada.

Flame away boys you can not change anything.

Edited by hellodolly

You want funny look at GKs post claimed to have lived in Quebec. Knows all about there standing in Canada. Misspell any other province in Canada and you will not get the whining about it you do from the French Canadians. Walk down the streets of Montreal and see if you can spot a sign in English. It is illegal.

Walk into any store in Canada and see if you can buy some thing that does not have a name and description on it in French. Never mind that at the Max there is probably only 2% in some of the province's that are not English speakers just speak French. Would be willing to bet there are more that speak only Chinese than French in BC but the stores do not have to put Chinese on every thing. And then to top it all off he calls Canada the land of Ice and snow. Not only clueless about the French Canadians but clueless about Canada. He was probably in Iceland thinking he was in Canada.

I was joking. I have nothing against Australians or any culture/race for that matter. I am only prejudiced against crappy people. There are crappy people and good people from all cultures.

Dolly, be sure not to mispell manutoba ok? Othewise we will have words. Now, can we get back on the topic please = if for no other reason than 2 girls are dead. thanks.