Uk Settlement Visa Rules

The rules changed on 9th July; the following is based on my understanding of the new rules.

The initial visa will be valid for 33 months. This is to allow her time to settle her affairs in Thailand and move to the UK.

After she has been in the UK for 30 months she applies for another 30 months and after that she applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

If her initial visa expires before she has been in the UK for 30 months she will have to apply, and pay for, an extension. However, she can ask that the start of the first visa be postdated for up to 3 months; effectively giving her up to 6 months from issue to take up residence in the UK. Note though that she cannot use the visa until it's start date.

If she does this then the visa will be dated from the date she asked for or the date it is issued, whichever is the later. She must check the start date immediately she receives her passport back. Mistakes do happen and are difficult to correct if left too long.

OK, I thought you saying "I'm planning on getting my wife a settlement visa" meant she hadn't applied yet.

The visa will be valid for 27 months from the date of issue, unless she asked for it to be postdated. She can apply for ILR after living in the UK for 24 months. If her visa expires before she has done so she will need to apply for an extension.