Worst Traffic Jam

MaxwellsDemon

I'm looking for a traffic jam. A serious one. The traffic has to move less than 200 yards an hour, if possible.

Looking for spots that are packed at 6-7 pm in the evening.

I know a number of years back I would routinely get stuck on Sathorn, on the side closer to Rama IV, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm interested.

I'm looking for a traffic jam. A serious one. The traffic has to move less than 200 yards an hour, if possible.

Looking for spots that are packed at 6-7 pm in the evening.

I know a number of years back I would routinely get stuck on Sathorn, on the side closer to Rama IV, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm interested.

Into SM eh !

Try china town, or deep down town

Intrigued as to why? I spend most of my time trying to avoid such things.

Another shout for Rama IV to Sukhumvit, I've spent a good 40 mins trying to get through there. Asoke can be similar too.

Some masochists will do anything for fun.........!

Plenty of options only limited by your imagination or lack of geograhical knowledge. Here is a quick list to try:

- 2nd the Chinatown (anywhere) plug,

- Phaya Thai between Rama 1 and Victory is an obvious but a goodie,

- Ramkhamhaeng between soi 21 (after the flyover) to Bangkapi junction,

- Ratchawethi heading east any afternoon,

- Phohoyothin rd between Lat Phrao and Ratchadapisek any peak time is good for finishing a book,

- Phet Kasem rd is normallly bad especially around Bang Khae but with the Blue Line construction it is even worse currently, that should keep you happy for a while,

- In the same vein, due to Blue Line construction, Charan Sanit Wong (inner ring rd) is a mess at peak,

- to continue the theme Rattana Tibet is a goodie with the Purple Line being built,

- Chaeng Wattana at peak esp if there is a major exhinition at Impact/Challenger and a football match but you missed the glory days of when contractors took 2.5 yrs to build the flyovers,

- Ram Inthra if you want to head more east,

- Of course the wonderful Rangsit Vihavadi rd is a good opportunity to engage in meditation practice, get to Rangsit and

- try the good ole Rangsit to Nakhon Nayok road at peak just east of Future even better if Bangkok Glass is playing,

- the usual suspects of Lat Phrao and lower Sukhumvit,

- Ratchadamnoen Klang and Ratchadamnoen Nok must be tried especially around 4pm when the govt offices empty, start on Nok head south to Klang and turn right to cross the Pinklao bridge,

- On Nut rd any peak time gets a special mention as women regulary have babies being stuck in traffic (most of the time they were not pregnant before they got stuck on On Nut rd)

- Pracha Chun between Samakee and Chaeng Wattana in afternoon peak where it goes to one lane can be a catalyst for your bowels to explode,

- Chock Chai 4 gets as mention as does Suttisan heading east towards Ratchada when the police remove the right turn,

Once you have completed the beginners level you can then move on the pre masters level of various sois, rights turns and confused intersections - it is a very long list. If you then survive that you will attain a level of traffic jam enlightenment such that even a leisurely 3 hrs stuck in a Sao Paulo or Jakarta traffic jam (I have done both) will seem but like a passing breeze!

Cobalt....what's prakkers? To me, Rama IV and Sukh only join up via wireless, ratchadapisek and... soi 24 (shortcut to emporium :P)

Will see if I can take a look at the Asoke junction this evening. I know it gets bad but it's also a massive road and it seems to flow pretty well, at least in the direction the lights are on.

Lakegeneve... wow. Okay. Hmm. In my experience Phaya Thai ain't that bad (less so by Rama 1 and Ratchathewi, slightly more closer to Anusawari) but the view also kinda sucks being buried under the BTS. Dunno about Ramkamhaeng, will give it a look. Ratchathewi heading east? Is there a ratchathewi road, or do you mean Petchaburi? Phahoyothin between Latprao and Ratchada? Isn't Latphrao between Phaho and Ratchadapisek? I'm confused.

Alright, Phet Khasem looks good, though a little far. As is Ram Intra.

Yeah, these days Chaeng Wattana is fine, even when there's something on at MTT. Those giant exit flyovers really helped.

My head hurts from all this scrolling and reading and google mapping. The rest of the roads on your list I don't know much about, but this should be good enough for now. If they don't work I'll be back. lulz.

Living on Charan I know it can get terrible, but hopes are up as the construction seems to be almost done... no more holes in the ground, but I think they need to repave it. Unless they'll be <deleted> and plant trees or something.

From the top of Samsen road (yothinburana school) and all the way down to khoa san road. Do this at 4.00 pm on any school day and you'll be stuck for hours and hours.

3 schools coming out and going past the palace is a nightmare.

If you want to impress people send them a screenshot of the Google map of the junction between the west end of Lad phrao rd and Viphawadi Rangsit, phanon yothin roads and tell them you regularly have to drive through it.

BTW someone mentioned Chok Chai 4 earlier. Anyone know what happened to Chok Chai 1,2 and 3 ?

@Maxwells, Prakkers is Phra Khanong old boy, where the Rama IV joins the Sukhumvit just a hundred mtrs away from Prakkers BTS. Try it at evening rush hour when some humourless BiB has his finger on the traffic light button while he sleeps for 45 mins or so.

Wanted to check out asoke last evening but realized I wouldn't make it in time (not due to traffic ironically, but to a bowl of noodle soup that was too hot I couldn't rush haha).

Stuck around at victory monument instead and got a feel for sunset azimuth and timing, though the colors were pretty lame.

Asoke/Sukhumvit intersection during evening rush hour, or just about any time it rains heavily.

Wait for a Friday afternoon, before a long weekend, when its raining.

Then pick any road in Bangkok.

Sent from my shoe phone

Intrigued as to why? I spend most of my time trying to avoid such things.

Another shout for Rama IV to Sukhumvit, I've spent a good 40 mins trying to get through there. Asoke can be similar too.

Okay. I went to Asoke/Sukhumvit intersection today, during evening rush hour, and then it was raining very heavily, and it's a Friday, not a long weekend but a Friday nonetheless.

Absolute bull$#!&. There was no traffic. Yeah, the cars pile up, but after 3-4 mins the lights change and every goes on their merry way. And they alternate. It may seem like forever but they always clear within 10-15 minutes. I was there for 2 hours today and it was smooth sailing from about 5 pm until 7.

This is gonna be harder than I thought.