Tougher Tourist Visa Application Process 'Costs Uk £2.8Bn'

Just had the following emailed re the negative effects the U.K.policies on immigration are having on the U.K. coffers

Wether it has any effect on a rethink, especially on the Schengen Visa,s which are more easily granted in other European countries, it remains to be seen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-18794416

marshbags whistling.gif

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere and I,ve missed it

Edited by marshbags

Would like to see them harmonise it with Schengen even if they don't officially join the Schengen zone. So someone with a Schengen visa could turn up at a UK port and be let in subject to clearance by an immigration officer.

Whilst a Schengen visa is simple to obtain for the spouse or close family member of an EU citizen traveling with or to join that EU citizen, for others it can be more complicated than a UK visit visa. Such as needing confirmed hotel bookings and return tickets which are not required in a UK visit visa application.

six of one, half a dozen of the other, really.

Someone should have done a bit more research.

I very much doubt that the UK not being in the Schengen area makes much difference to the number of non EEA tourists who visit the UK.

• Like 1

Having just helped complete a visit visa for a Thai friend living in Switzerland I am not surprised it puts some people off. I would, however have expected it to be simple enough to get both because much of the financial paperwork is similar.

It would make some sense to allow a combined Schengen visa and UK Visa application. Alternatively a simplified UK visa form could be used following the issue of a Schengen visa!

It is getting more and more difficult for some nationalities to travel especially for short visits.

Some standardisation, especially for European travel would be sensible so the UK can be an easy place to add to the itinerary.

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

Someone should have done a bit more research.

I very much doubt that the UK not being in the Schengen area makes much difference to the number of non EEA tourists who visit the UK.

I agree. Wishful thinking by Visit Britain I feel.

Marshbags, your post above only illustrates your complete ignorance of the freedom of movement treaties and regulations within the EEA; regulations and treaties which allow British citizens the same rights in other EEA countries as citizens of those countries have in the UK, as the tens of thousands of British pensioners living in Spain, Italy etc, can confirm.

May I suggest that you ignore the propaganda and research the reality.

• Like 1

Marshbags, your post above only illustrates your complete ignorance of the freedom of movement treaties and regulations within the EEA; regulations and treaties which allow British citizens the same rights in other EEA countries as citizens of those countries have in the UK, as the tens of thousands of British pensioners living in Spain, Italy etc, can confirm.

yes i have a british friend who is in denmark getting a very nice danish pension

I think there must be loads of people who choose to visit one or the other but find visas for 2 places to be too time consuming and too much screwing about.

Sure, there'll be some of those - but there are other reasons why non-EU visitors don't come to Britain as well as other European countries. Time, expense (value for money), even the awful weather! That's why it was rather wishful thinking by Visit Britain to highlight only the visa issue.

Edited by paully

The newspapers are good at stirring up hysteria about immigration but this thread is about visitors being put off coming to the UK because of the visa requirements and not immigration as a whole.

My Thai friend is married to a Swiss national and he has been shocked and confused by all the requirements to get someone who is settled in the EU to be allowed to visit a friend for three weeks!

They nearly gave up on it!

The embassy say it will be processed within 15 days!

UK visas could be much easier to complete for people with valid Schengen visas and I have little doubt that this would bring more visitors to the UK. Let other embassy's do the hard work! Reason for visit, funding and reasons to return should have been adequately covered by a Schengen visa application.

There are lots of well off Thai's and even more well off Chinese (who are good spenders apparently) so these should be encouraged!

Switzerland is not a member of either the EU or the EEA.

It is, though, a Schengen state.

Even so, I cannot understand why your friend should have had any difficulty obtaining a UK visit visa; but we have discussed this in another topic and you did accept, sort of, that her husband may have completed the form incorrectly to indicate that she was living in Thailand, not Switzerland.

It is odd that people argue that Schengen visa holders should be given some form of 'easier to get' UK visa; what about the other way round? It was the Schengen states who decided visitors to the UK could no longer apply for a Schengen visa in the UK.

Ignorance and propaganda ect. ect. what the w00t.gif

AS for freedom of movement, I do not need you to educate me on the freedom of movement within the EU I know all to well about not only this treaty obligation, but several others that are being abused and the laws minipulated in a disgraceful manner that the majority of U.K. citizens find offensive and insutlng, especially now when we are constantly having to cut back on our spending, pay additional taxes and cannot to boot even afford to house our younger generations and constantly worrry about their futures.

My observations are based on not only my experiences but those of all my family, friends and the majority of people I know and come into contact with when I am home..

Do me a favour and go visit the U.K and stay awhile then you will surely learn that your statement is about the most out of touch statements I have ever read on T.Visa.

FYI The pensioners ( and many others ) for one do not go to these countries penniless, nor do they ( WE ) go expecting to milk them of whatever funds they provide for their citizens and live according to the hard earned means that our savings allow and we have provided for.

Just as we pensioners do not contrary to the belief of similar propoganderists come to Thailand to live of the shirts of our backs and spend our lives frequenting the places of ??????

Chance would be a fine thing on the money side of my observations above, even for those who have hit hard times through genuine set backs but that,s another story.

Go visit the U.K. and stay awhile then you will get a shock of a reality check on the real world in my area.

My post illustrates reality and also highlights the diffferences on how the U.K. on the one hand go about steadfastly vetting our Thai spouses to the point of unbelievable restriction, frustration and heartbreak while on the other hand bending over backwards to accomodate the scroungers of Europe.

They do by the way get an a very generous..tax free payment on registering( weekly ) that many of our citizens fortunate enough to have a job, can never equal, even with overtime. and that is before taxes ect are deducted.

Propoganda..........do me a favour...please.

marshbags huh.png

P.S.

You choose to offer your opinion on the thread and I likewise choose to offer my opinion on how out of touch you are, while quoting EU regulations as per treaties and equal rights ect. ect.

Maybe we should all go over there and leave the U.K. and it,s renowned

" easy " lifestyle to them and there many made up non existant dependants.

We do not want our Thai families taking over the U.K., nor do we expect the free hand outs being paid to the EU immigrants who flout our laws, we are and can prove our intentions are honourable and just and wish to give them opportunity to become positive members of our society.

So again, come on Cameron and your fellow ministers, do as the majority of the U.K. citizens wish for in our homeland, or at the very least, stop the blatant contradictions when vetting our Thai loved ones, treat them with the same considerations when they / we apply for their visa's and judge them fairly, and without introducing restrictive, silly new demands.

Incidently you would be amazed how many of the EU entrants cannot speak English or have a clue about our culture ect. ect.and that is also a fact...not propoganda.

Unbelievable !!!!

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

I do not need to visit the UK: I live there; do you?

EEA immigrants to the UK are NOT entitled to unlimited public funds; mainly just those that they have contributed to through any NI contributions they make whilst working. They do not arrive and immediately be given free housing and bucket loads of cash, despite what the propaganda of the right wing press would have you believe. Propaganda you appear to have swallowed hook, line and sinker!

To live in another EEA state, one needs to be exercising an economic treaty right;

• employed or self employed
  • job seeking (usually 3 months maximum, and no benefits payable)
  • studying
  • living off independent means, e.g. a pension.

Different regulations apply to visitors and immigrants from outside the EEA than those from within the EEA. This is true for all EEA countries, not just the UK.

You really should check your facts. EUN01 - EEA nationalsand Rights and responsibilities would be good places to start.

Switzerland is not a member of either the EU or the EEA.

It is, though, a Schengen state.

Even so, I cannot understand why your friend should have had any difficulty obtaining a UK visit visa; but we have discussed this in another topic and you did accept, sort of, that her husband may have completed the form incorrectly to indicate that she was living in Thailand, not Switzerland.

It is odd that people argue that Schengen visa holders should be given some form of 'easier to get' UK visa; what about the other way round? It was the Schengen states who decided visitors to the UK could no longer apply for a Schengen visa in the UK.

Quite true, Switzerland is not part of the EU!

I do not need to visit the UK: I live there; do you?

EEA immigrants to the UK are NOT entitled to unlimited public funds; mainly just those that they have contributed to through any NI contributions they make whilst working. They do not arrive and immediately be given free housing and bucket loads of cash, despite what the propaganda of the right wing press would have you believe. Propaganda you appear to have swallowed hook, line and sinker!

To live in another EEA state, one needs to be exercising an economic treaty right;

• employed or self employed
  • job seeking (usually 3 months maximum, and no benefits payable)
  • studying
  • living off independent means, e.g. a pension.

Different regulations apply to visitors and immigrants from outside the EEA than those from within the EEA. This is true for all EEA countries, not just the UK.

You really should check your facts. EUN01 - EEA nationalsand Rights and responsibilities would be good places to start.

The only propoganda being posted on here are coming from your robotic regs and all it professes to be / do.

Guidance and actual implementation are 2 different scenarious, in my asrea the claimants are making a mockery of what should and should not be and that is a well know fact in these parts.

Once you mention the right wing press you no longer IMHO stay a neutral observer and indeed it is you who are a propogandist.

The only right wing I,m associated with happens to one of 2, the other being a left one on the aircratf that fly me back and forth between home and here as has happened for 20 years and more.

I stand by what I have posted and you can quote all the regulations you wish to support your opinion while I will continue to quote what it is really like, especially in the South Yorkshire, Humberside and the North- North East of England.

Europeans are entitled to benefits once registering with the nearest DHSS offices where they enter ( jobcentre to qualify for enhanced payments. )

The Eastern block countries are very street wise and informed on how to exploit the sytem and take full advantage of all available benefits and pre plan before hand..

To get back onto why I posted these abuses / comparisons of being allowed / granted entry to our country was to highlight the contradictions on how these can still walk in anytime they wish without restrictions ( except in certain cases of course when crime ect and other discrepencies are supected. )

They do not have to take an English test ect as a qualification to enter, nor do they have to have proven finances, a spouse / sponsors who can prove they have the funds to look after them once they enter..... and more importantly no dreaded interview / interigation to ascertain what they know and iand consequently scae the sh*t out of them.

This against the unfair and extreme vetting of our Thai spouses and families who do have to take the above and are put through hell by the embassy officials even after providing documented certified evidence ect. ect.

Sure there are in the case of the Euopeans genuine people coming in but many are not, yet they are still welcomed and immediately go about milking all they can get and have a plan to exploit our generous benefits system and contribute zero to our economy.

There are also cases that some Thai are not genuine, but many are and provide all the evidence required to prove they are genuine and their spouses more to the point are capable of looking after them during their stay in the U.K.

They can register of course but are specifically banned from the benefits handed out to the Europeans and will given the opportunity become positive workers / contributors to our economy, but nothing more in the way of benefits ect.

In fact practically the opposite scenario to the Europeans, what a contradiction and disgrace this is on our loved ones and our attempts to live together in our homeland.

Let us not forget also we have to provide proven accomodation once we enter, in the initial documentation whereby the Europeans do not.

The government need to address the above, become more inofficious towards there fellow citizens and their families, and not make unfair demands that bar many from getting their permission to stay and being able to live together as human decency demands.

Should anyone not be genuine and they can easily ascertain this without gestapo like attitudes and interigations ect. ect. by cross checking documention ect. ect. then bar them as the Thai do at this end from ever entering the country, plus confiscation of any up front finances and all their submitted documentation.

Sort it out Cameron, empathise and think family separation far in access of the limited time you were separated from your loved one when you forgot her at the pub,

Imagine what long preiods of seperation do to our families if you really care about us you can easily introduce new guidelines at our Embassies

marshbags wink.png

P.S.

While it is not of your business, but to stop you using the maybe not as a tool

Yes I do spend a lot of time in the U.K., still have my home, pay taxes and do not wish to live full time in Thailand.

I also intend to end my days at home and have no desire to be dependant on Thailand and it,s authorities in anyway what so ever...god willing of course.

You on the other hand say you live in the U.K. so I doubt you are in any position to empathise with the multitude of problems that continually arise and change on a day to day basis at this end. whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 2

Despite the fact that you would rather believe prejudices and propaganda than facts, I will make one last attempt at educating you.

There is no discrimination against Thais. They are subject to exactly the same immigration rules and regulations as all other non EEA nationals, no matter where they come from; except Switzerland where an agreement between the EEA and Switzerland means Swiss nationals enjoy the same freedom of movement within the EEA as EEA nationals and vice versa.

EEA nationals are subject to different regulations due to freedom of movement treaties and ECJ rulings which stretch back many years. Your call to the present government is fruitless as it was not this government which signed those treaties; though it is bound by them. To break those treaties would mean breaking all other ties with the EU and EEA; which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your viewpoint.

There are as many, if not more, British citizens taking advantage of these treaties to live, work, retire etc. in other EEA countries as there are other EEA nationals doing the same in the UK. Were the government to take action to remove EEA nationals from the UK, what would happen to all of those British nationals living in other EEA states?

You started this topic by saying that you felt Schengen visas should be valid for the UK; now you are saying you want to abolish all freedom of movement between the UK and other EEA states, most of whom are signatories to the Schengen treaty and so members of the Schengen area!

You can't have both!

The immigration rules which govern Thais', and all other non EEA nationals except Swiss, entry into the UK have been in place for many years. This government is 'sorting them out' as they see fit, as other governemnts have before them. I must say that with the exception of the financial requirements I am mostly in agreement with the current changes.

It is worth noting that it was Labour under Blair who first started making family migration more difficult; not just by increasing the qualifying time for ILR from 12 months to 24, but also introducing the outrageously high fees for in UK applications such as ILR.

I campaigned vigorously against them when these fees were introduced; where were you then?

It is also worth remembering that many (most? all?) of the new requirements introduced by the present government first saw the light of day in Labour policy documents!

Finally, I do know what it is like to have to satisfy the requirements for a loved one's visa and to wait and wait for a decision. I also know what it is like to have an application refused for what seemed then, and 12 years later still does, the most spurious of reasons.

Thank you for a much appreciated update Anon and your experiences, of which there must be many others ( thousands I reckon going on years of feedback ) of a similar nature, mine included.

The list and variety of unreasonable demands and added hurdles to clear just keep on and on and really are victimising our Thai loved ones.

I gave up some time ago and accepted the situation, especially as my wife was / is terrified and stressed out at the thought of continuing, thanks to the interegation type interviews ect.

I have made sure she has security and a home here along with all relevant details and instructions when the time comes and I throw a 7.

I also have a good brother in the U.K. who will act as the executor and kindly assist her that end on her entitlements,company pension and English communication ect.

I have by the way 2 wills made out, one for my / our Thai assets and another in the U.K. for my assets there for my daughter do with after deciding what to do and were she wishes to live.

I hope it,s a good few years away mind rolleyes.gif

Genuine good luck Anon and I hope you have a happy and succesful conclusion for your Daughter In Law

marshbags thumbsup.gif

P.S.

I get really annoyed back home when out and about, especially in the local council and DHSS offices when I go to them from time to time to update info that my wife / brother will need in the future.

The amount of non English speaking immigrant claimants beggars belief with staff instructed and trained to make sure they have all the benefits available while being limited to time they can spend on us.

You want something.. here,s a brochure...please read it... is the usual reaction, come back if you need further info.....Yet another long wait when re visiting and total confusion in many cases.

There is long list of language interpreters and all the brochures on what they can have in all manner of languages w00t.gif the fuff is going on.

Strangely and surprise! surprise! non in Thai but plenty in Arab, Indian, Pakistani ect. ect

Annoyed, you bet I am.

Edited by marshbags
Unnecessary full quote of preceding post removed.
  • Like 1

I am sorry, Anon999, but it is obvious from reading your post that you do not understand the new rules as they apply to family migration; have you read them?

Rather than direct you to the numerous UKBA pages now incorporating them, have a read of the statement of intent.

Having done so, perhaps you will then direct me to where it says that only family migrants who "fall into the highly qualified categories."

You may argue that unless one is "highly qualified" then one will not have an income high enough to meet the financial requirement. Highly qualified to earn £18600 pa? Most unskilled workers earn more than that. Remember it is the level at which a couple no longer qualify for income support; so it's not that high.

Even so, it's too high.

My personal feeling is that it should have been set at the income support level of about £110 per week. Indeed I said so when I took part in the consultation last year.

Did you, Anon999, and you, marshbags, take part in that? It was well publicised on this and many other similar forums and websites.

My feelings about the other changes?

Five years for ILR.

Broadly in agreement. I have seen relationships where the immigrant partner has done a runner the moment they have their ILR. A longer qualifying period will discourage this and will not really effect genuine couples.

Except for the need to extend one's leave to remain after 30 months. Nothing wrong in that, per se. But having to pay for it; that's wrong, in my opinion.

Language requirement for ILR.

Not much change here, except that the ability to pass this when one has effectively no English at all by going from zero to entry level 1 on an ESOL course has been removed.

I can see nothing wrong in requiring immigrants to a country to be able to speak that country's language at a basic level; and B1 and the level required for the LitUK test are not that far above basic (see here); and people have 5 years to learn to do so!

Try getting permanent residence in, for example, Thailand without being fluent in Thai; spoken and written. You wont.

The level required for the LitUK test and B1 is not very high and anyone with 5 years in which to study should be able to manage it. Unless they have learning disabilities which prevent them from learning English; in which case they will be exempt from this requirement.

Genuineness of relationship

Not just to try and eliminate sham marriages; but also to protect those who may be forced into a marriage so their 'partner' can enter the UK.

Who here would argue against protecting the victims of forced marriage?

Although this is not really the place to discuss these changes, there is another topic running in which to do so, as it has been brought up here I would, Anon999 and marshbags and anyone else who feels like it, appreciate your comments on the above.

Remember, though, we are talking about family migration; not the changes to other categories, e.g. Tier 1, outlined in the statement of intent.

I gave up some time ago and accepted the situation, especially as my wife was / is terrified and stressed out at the thought of continuing, thanks to the interegation type interviews ect.

What are you on about? What interrogation type interviews?

My wife has been living in the UK for over 12 years and she has only been interviewed by government departments twice.

Once in the Bangkok embassy to get her visa, and again by the DWP to get her National Insurance number.

The DWP one was simple, and even the embassy one was fairly painless; although I accept that for others it may not have been so.

Of course, these days UK visa applicants are rarely interviewed at all.

The amount of non English speaking immigrants claimants beggars belief.

There is long list of language interpreters and all the brochures on what they can have in all manner of languages w00t.gif the fuff is going on.

Strangely and surprise! surprise! non in Thai but plenty in Arab, Indian, Pakistani ect. ect

This must mean you are in full agreement with the English language requirement; maybe even making it harder!

I added the personal arrangements info about what I,ve done, just in case it may help anyone who is wondering about what best to do.

I hope it isn,t going off topic to much and acceptable by the forum moderator with being a different subject.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

On the OP initial topic of how much is lost from visitors not comeing to UK, th ecost of the 181,000 visa over stays (since 2008) would probably out weigh those loses. many of the 181,000 will be working the the black economy and not paying tax's etc and possibly working in a job that a legally employed person could be working in and paying the taxes. Thankgully the UKBA are responsible for immigration not Visit Britain. the only people who have problems getting visa's are those who do not meet the cretria set by the UKBA. I have never had a problem getting my partner a visa.

Is it too easy to get a visa to visit UK?

My (Asian) wife has lived with me in Brussels for over 7 years, back then, she could fill in a downloaded form and join a queue at the British Consulate in Brussels, have a quick interview and pick up a 6 month visa in the afternoon.

When we last considered applying for a 6 month visitor visa (restricted to travelling with me) it meant applying online, waiting for an appointment in Paris which was several weeks away (biometrics, digital photo etc.) and then waiting several weeks for her passport to be returned.

Sorry, this is just too long a wait and I can't be bothered taking a day out to go to Paris not to mention the cost.

End result, she will never be able to see my family members in the UK again.

By the way, is the UK the only country in world that only checks visas on the way in and not on the way out? Not even a stamp in the passport "valid until...", no arrival card/departure card?

There is no UK visit visa where entry to the UK is restricted to traveling with one's spouse/partner/whatever. You must be confused with an EEA family permit, which under EEA regulations is free so I don't see how cost can be a factor; except the cost of a trip to Paris, of course. depending on where you live this could easily be cheaper than a trip to Brussels!

If your wife has been living in Belgium for 7 years she presumably now has permanent residence there. In which case EEA regulations mean she can use this to enter the UK and does not need a visa; providing she is traveling with or to join you and she has a residence card or stamp in her passport to say her PR in Belgium is due to her being your spouse or she provides some other evidence at immigration that she is your spouse.

All the above assumes you are an EEA national.

If she does need a UK visa, given even the minimal information you state of your circumstances, there is no reason I can see why she would not be given a 10 year one.

Is it too easy to get a visa to visit UK?

My (Asian) wife has lived with me in Brussels for over 7 years, back then, she could fill in a downloaded form and join a queue at the British Consulate in Brussels, have a quick interview and pick up a 6 month visa in the afternoon.

When we last considered applying for a 6 month visitor visa (restricted to travelling with me) it meant applying online, waiting for an appointment in Paris which was several weeks away (biometrics, digital photo etc.) and then waiting several weeks for her passport to be returned.

Sorry, this is just too long a wait and I can't be bothered taking a day out to go to Paris not to mention the cost.

End result, she will never be able to see my family members in the UK again.

By the way, is the UK the only country in world that only checks visas on the way in and not on the way out? Not even a stamp in the passport "valid until...", no arrival card/departure card?

US is the same, immigration doesn't seem to care who leaves. In fact, I just checked my passport and found only one US entry stamp for about ten returns from various countries. I went through immigration of course but they didn't feel it was necessary to stamp my passport. Interesting.

Back to the OPs point, the visa application form is quite long 12 or 14 pages if I remember correctly (although there is a lot you can skip for a visit visa).

The real problem from a tourist point of view is that each family member, including accompanying children, has to fill in the whole thing all over again. A few family holidays and you're talking deforestation because even with the online form, you have to print it out.

Then you are all required to go, in person, to be fingerprinted at the VFS office in Bangkok.

Ask yourself this. How many tourists would a country get from the UK if they required everyone to fill in a 14 page form in a foreign language as the first step. They then required you to travel to London (regardless of whether you live in Kensington or Shetland), to be fingerprinted, which means you have to go in person, no agents, and they then don't tell you how many days they're going to hold on to your passport before giving you the visa, just that it's normally 10 days.

And don't get me started on the identity thief's wet dream that is the bank details and house details etc. that you have to provide.

Would you bother to go there as a tourist?

I consider the having to go on a weekday morning, and the two day wait for the visa for Thailand a major inconvenience. The British tourist visa process is simply broken.

Add in that they somehow can't store records... i.e. my mother-in-law always stays at our house in London. It's not been reduced in size in the last 10 years, the postcode and address haven't changed, yet they keep asking for estate agent's particulars for the property, despite them already granting visas in the past for her staying at the same address..

The applying in person and having biometrics taken needs to be done each time to avoid fraud, to ensure that the person applying this time is the same as the person who applied last time. Such is the world of terrorism and identity fraud and illegal migration in which we now live.

The same evidence of finances etc needs to be supplied each time as people's circumstances do change, even if your mother-in-law's haven't.

This is not just the UK; it's standard operating procedure for most, if not all, western countries, including the Schengen area.

If your mother-in-law is a regular visitor to the UK why don't you get her a 10 year visit visa; then she wont have to apply again for 10 years.