Applying For Thai Birth Certificate

hi

I was adopted from Thailand as baby and have since got my Australia citizenship. I would now like to apply for dual citizenship. What do I have to do to get my Thai birth certificate and how difficult is it for Thai citizenship?

thanks

You may want to advise age and other factors as you should have a birth certificate if adopted. It is not a case of being born overseas so Thai Embassy issues. Suspect first steps will be tracing your birth in Thailand and adoptive parents may be the starting point (to agency or other information) if you do not already know details.

I would first try with Thai embassy or Consulate there in Australia.

At least you have your adoption papers but the authorities will have to inform you of your citizenship rights under your circumstances.

Good luck....please post back your progress so we can know, too.

Edited by luwahn

Actually in 1976 things were a lot different than today and even being born of Thai parents may be in question as there was a huge influx of Lao and Khmer at that period of time, and a lot of semi-documented adoptions taking place, so if no birth certificate is available that may be the reason.

Try the Thai Foreign office, consular department, nationality section. They will be able to give you advise.

Or try this:

The Overseas Thai Passport Section

- is responsible for overseeing the applications of overseas Thai citizens applying for

e-passports at the Thai embassies and consulates-general worldwide.

Tel: 02981-7171-99,

02981-7257-60

02575-1067-9

Fax: 02575-1068