Australian Tourist Visa Validity

Is an Oz Tourist visa valid from day of issue or day of entry into Oz? Have read the website but cannot see the information.

I am applying for my wife's visa on Friday 27 July for arrival in Oz on 3 October for three weeks to see my daughter.

The reason for applying now is I will be in Bangkok next week and do not want to make another trip there before October.

We have done several visits to the UK and their visa is valid from day of issue.

Any info is appreciated.

The "tourist" visa will normally have a validity of 12 months ie it has to be used within 12 months from the date it was issued.

If the period of stay is 3 months (the normal case), she can stay in Oz for 3 months from the date she enters Australia.

The "tourist" visa will normally have a validity of 12 months ie it has to be used within 12 months from the date it was issued.

If the period of stay is 3 months (the normal case), she can stay in Oz for 3 months from the date she enters Australia.

Thanks for the info.

I disagree jackspratt,

all my GF visas have been valid for three months from the date of issue, meaning that she must enter Australia before that three months is up. She can then stay for as long as the visa is for, eg, 3, 6 or 12 months from when she enters Austra;ia

I disagree jackspratt,

all my GF visas have been valid for three months from the date of issue, meaning that she must enter Australia before that three months is up. She can then stay for as long as the visa is for, eg, 3, 6 or 12 months from when she enters Austra;ia

T

Then she must have received a different visa than my wife has on numerous occasions.

I am quoting from her most recent Visitor Class 676 visa, which is multi-entry, 3 months stay and 12 months validity:

" Granted 28 Feb12. Must not arrive after 28 Feb13. Multiple Travel."

"Holder(s) permitted to remain in Australia for 03 months from date of each arrival".

Nothing about arriving within 3 months of issue.

I can promise it is 3 months from the date she gets here. The visa can be read and taken as 2 ways, but it is 100% the date she arrives she will have 3 months to leave. I have been through it and wondered the same then I asked at the airport who got the answer from customs there. So its not from the date the visa was issued and this is for a single entry visa.

Edited by krisb

I disagree jackspratt,

T

Then she must have received a different visa than my wife has on numerous occasions.

I am quoting from her most recent Visitor Class 676 visa, which is multi-entry, 3 months stay and 12 months validity:

"Holder(s) permitted to remain in Australia for 03 months from date of each arrival".

My wife(who at the time wasnt my wife) started with a 3 month single entry tourist visa for Australia. So it was from the entry date stamped in her passport she had 3 months to leave.You say your partner was granted 3 months from date of each arrival, then wouldnt that mean she could drag out the 3 months for ages by leaving after 2months and 29 days then return for another 3 month stay and start it over again? Or have you made a spelling mistake by saying 3months from the date of each arrival?

I disagree jackspratt,

T

My wife(who at the time wasnt my wife) started with a 3 month single entry tourist visa for Australia. So it was from the entry date stamped in her passport she had 3 months to leave.You say your partner was granted 3 months from date of each arrival, then wouldnt that mean she could drag out the 3 months for ages by leaving after 2months and 29 days then return for another 3 month stay and start it over again? Or have you made a spelling mistake by saying 3months from the date of each arrival?

jackspratt is talking about a multi-entry 12 month visa.

Yes, and technically, you can leave after 2 months and 29 days and

return the next day.

People do it all of the time although you do risk the chance of getting

"chatted" to by DIAC if they think the visa is being used to live in Australia.

Regards

Will

Great answer and it also settled the mind of my partner as we were both questioninf this time frame as she was given a 3 month visa and 3 months stay in australia

I can promise it is 3 months from the date she gets here. The visa can be read and taken as 2 ways, but it is 100% the date she arrives she will have 3 months to leave. I have been through it and wondered the same then I asked at the airport who got the answer from customs there. So its not from the date the visa was issued and this is for a single entry visa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a little story I remembered my wife saying. She was told by a "not really helpful or nice customs lady " in bkk airport, who looked at her 3 mth visa and return ticket and said " your visa will expire before date of return ticket and this is illegal" My wife got really worried by this. The customs lady had pointed to date visa issued. Truth of it all is that lady in customs in bkk was incorrect and shouldnt of chastised my wife with incorrect information. Its not the 1st time those mean customs or immigration people in bkk airport have struck. I havnt met a nice 1 yet. This is just another case of reading the paperwork issued the embassy that sounds like its 3 or 6 or whatever months from the date of issue. WRONG! Its the date of entry/time stamped on her passport on arrival into (in this case) Australia.

You would think an employee of immigration would understand this. Well in this case, they dont. I bet that lady is still busy telling everyone how their tickets to go home are wrong.

post-150060-0-78726000-1344070222_thumb.Attached is the form that has been stapled to my wife's passport.

I was quite surprised for a first timer to Oz she has been given one year/three months per visit and multiple entry.

I must have written a good sponsor letter.

• Like 1

I wonder how often they will hand out a 1 year visa 1st time? Perhaps it was the sponsor letter or maybe what she had said. Dis you guys ask for a 1 year visa?

No, did not request anything, only gave the dates we wish to visit Oz, 3 October to 23 October.

I was quite surprised they granted one year.

Wife and I have been to the UK several times, also travelled around Asia a few times. Maybe they can see that it is a genuine request for a tourism visit, which it is.

There was no interview when visiting the VFS in BKK, just handed over the documents, all over in five minutes.

I should have mentioned before, I did submit a booked return air fare, and they do say not to book before visa is granted.

The reason I gave was, I booked in February in the Air Asia sale for THB21,000(air fare+tax portion) for two adults, I could not resist the sale fare, it is now THB56,000 for two adults.

Anyway, a good fare and good result, I was prepared to lose the fare if not granted, I remained optimistic.

I wonder how often they will hand out a 1 year visa 1st time? Perhaps it was the sponsor letter or maybe what she had said. Dis you guys ask for a 1 year visa?

No, did not request anything, only gave the dates we wish to visit Oz, 3 October to 23 October.

I was quite surprised they granted one year.

Wife and I have been to the UK several times, also travelled around Asia a few times. Maybe they can see that it is a genuine request for a tourism visit, which it is.

There was no interview when visiting the VFS in BKK, just handed over the documents, all over in five minutes.

If someone has a history of compliance with visas for other countries, this will generally make it much easier for them to get a tourist (visitor) visa for Oz.

My wife (then girlfriend) had 3 visas for China (where I was working) prior to applying for an Australian tourist visa. She was given a 12 month multi-entry first up, and all subsequent visas have been the same.

Post #12.

An Australian visa is of no concern to a Thai immigration or customs official.

Kinda, it is in the sense that they have noticed that you will be breaking the law by not complying with the visas rules. Thai immigration still have a duty of care when it comes to their own citizens. Correct? Edited by krisb

Post #12.

Kinda, it is in the sense that they have noticed that you will be breaking the law by not complying with the visas rules. Thai immigration still have a duty of care when it comes to their own citizens. Correct?

Personally, I would say it is more the airlines "duty of care", they are the ones that will have a problem if you do not comply, not immigration.

I can't really see immigration staff in every country knowing the immigration laws of every country in the world.

• Like 1

Post #12.

Kinda, it is in the sense that they have noticed that you will be breaking the law by not complying with the visas rules. Thai immigration still have a duty of care when it comes to their own citizens. Correct?

Personally, I would say it is more the airlines "duty of care", they are the ones that will have a problem if you do not comply, not immigration.

I can't really see immigration staff in every country knowing the immigration laws of every country in the world.

True. My point was that Thai immigration who were trying to help in a way, got my mrs visa info wrong. So they shouldnt have said something they knew nothing about. They wouldnt know every country but Id think they usual places like Australia UK USA would be regular customers along with some European countries. Even I know the rules for some countries but places like Algeria Ive got no idea.

Post #12.

True. My point was that Thai immigration who were trying to help in a way, got my mrs visa info wrong. So they shouldnt have said something they knew nothing about. They wouldnt know every country but Id think they usual places like Australia UK USA would be regular customers along with some European countries. Even I know the rules for some countries but places like Algeria Ive got no idea.

I am agreeing with you, immigration should keep quiet and control their own borders.

It is obvious they do not know the immigration laws for Australia, USA, UK or wherever as they are giving incorrect information.

• Like 1

My wife has a 12 month multiple re-entry up to 90 days per entry like many have referred to above. As you know there is no visa label any more. Our problem is that we cannot find the slip of paper with the details and I want to book a ticket for her to Australia. I know that the visa expires soon but not sure exactly when. I checked out the Immigration site the VEVO service for online checking - but it says you need the transaction number for the visa (on the lost paper) or a password - which we have never had as I think this relates only to countries that are eligible for the E visa application (not Thailand) and that we can only access VEVO whilst in Australia. Has anyone got any ideas on how to find out the validity of a labelless visa without the slip of paper?? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Just send an email to the AU Embassy in Bangkok with a copy of you wife's passport and an explanation.

I am sure they will help.

I have emailed them several times and they have always responded quickly and efficiently.

My wife has a 12 month multiple re-entry up to 90 days per entry like many have referred to above. As you know there is no visa label any more. Our problem is that we cannot find the slip of paper with the details and I want to book a ticket for her to Australia. I know that the visa expires soon but not sure exactly when. I checked out the Immigration site the VEVO service for online checking - but it says you need the transaction number for the visa (on the lost paper) or a password - which we have never had as I think this relates only to countries that are eligible for the E visa application (not Thailand) and that we can only access VEVO whilst in Australia. Has anyone got any ideas on how to find out the validity of a labelless visa without the slip of paper?? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Now that you have raised this point, it would be a good idea for everbody to just pencil in the back of the passport the issue date and reference number so there will never be any doubt if the slip of paper disappears.

I have just written the information in my wife's passport.