Second Shipment Of 730,000 Tablet Computers Arrive In Thailand

webfact

Let's start with the end of your malarkey and work back.

YOU are the one claiming that sources other than The Nation purporting 730,000.

YOU supply them

...or it falls apart as easily as the rest of your diatribe.

The time frame was claimed by Yingluck's point man.

The total tablets pledged was claimed by Yingluck's point man.

To attempt to deflect from that with nonsense about "fabricated" totals and time frames as well as "false statistics" is but an empty apologist effort.

Yes, I missed a batch. If the entire scheme had ever been run efficiently, effectively, and transparently, the chance of that would diminish to zero. Instead, it's been one long road of ever-changing deadlines, goals, deliveries, suppliers, auctions, delays and endless conflicting reports from in-fighting ministries (Education and ICT).

The battle over control and the inbred corruption has been fierce between the two resulting in confusion and lack of transparency.

How many threads have there been on this issue? 20?

That's an indication in itself of the convoluted nature of this scheme.

Is that some sort of roundabout way of conceding that the statistics you put out were totally fabricated and inaccurate?! If you'd simply done that to start with we could have saved a few posts and considerable time! Like it or not, the tablets are arriving, promises being kept and former speculation you have made proved to be inaccurate... much like your statistics!

Quite how many websites have reported 730,000 not 73,000? Again I suggest you just enter this into your search provider "730,000 tablets Thailand" and see quite how any links you are offered!!! Yes many of these originate from the nation article, but this figure is linked to from scores of different sources...

What part of YOU made the claim, YOU supply the links that support YOUR claim, do you not comprehend?

The figures I quoted are the figures of Yingluck's point man.

The time frame I quoted is quoted by Yingluck's point man.

If you are claiming the numbers I used are fabricated, show how and what they are.

I concede nothing until you show something opposing that differs from 134,000 tablets out of 11,000,000 pledged have been delivered. 1 - 2%, so far, of the "promise being kept."

You being obtuse doesn't change that.

Go back over some of those threads that were here before you and perhaps that can help you to see that.

Edited by Buchholz

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who feel like trying to understand the tablet issue, here a list of topics from the last THREE months

2012-07-19

http://www.thaivisa....ff-in-thailand/

2012-07-10

http://www.thaivisa....blets-thailand/

2012-06-30

http://www.thaivisa....dents-thailand/

2012-06-19

http://www.thaivisa....blet-computers/

2012-06-14

http://www.thaivisa....blets-thailand/

2012-06-08

http://www.thaivisa....mputer-tablets/

2012-06-07

http://www.thaivisa....y-for-delivery/

2012-05-10

http://www.thaivisa....rs-for-schools/

2012-04-25

http://www.thaivisa....inistry-source/

2012-04-24

http://www.thaivisa....ares-textbooks/

2012-04-20

http://www.thaivisa....pardy-thailand/

DISCLAIMER: I may have missed topics between 2012-04-20 - 2012-07-19. That would be by accident, and not on purposewai.gif

Thanks for that. I see I under-estimated the total number of threads.

I also have to remember that a number of them were done before Ferangled even joined, so if his knowledge seems less experienced with the subject matter, that's understandable.

2011-04-30

http://www.thaivisa....ning-has-begun/

2011-04-29

http://www.thaivisa....-thai-students/

2011-07-11

http://www.thaivisa....r-tablets-plan/

etc

etc

"I also have to remember that a number of them were done before Ferangled even joined, so if his knowledge seems less experienced with the subject matter, that's understandable."

A curious comment that. Is it not possible to read posts on this forum without having joined?

Even if that were the case most of the information, certainly numbers of tablets involved etc were and still are published in publicly accessible media so membership of this exalted forum is not even necessary.

Oh well, something to argue about I suppose.

If you'd just come out and say that your looking at a way to do the government down and this is one of your ways of doing it, it would be easier for everyone.

It's not as if either of you really could care about how many tablets are going to be delivered or what they're going to be used for or you wouldn't be going on about what a failure this is. You'd just be grateful that it looks like things are happening.

Edited by phiphidon
  • Like 1

The Dems were in power for 18 months while contending with the Red shirt rallies making them less than functional (but that was OK.right)

About schools. There ARE some schools that have a MUCH larger budget. Such as the university demonstration schools. Mahidol demonstration school for example has a HUGE lecture hall with all the bells and whistles. It is used infrequently.

Level playing field. That would be good.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Oh the irony... I wonder why certain schools are favoured in terms of facilities budgets etc... couldn't possibly be their ties with certain elite families could it?!

Abhisit was preceded in public service by his father, Athasit (อรรถสิทธิ์) Vejjajiva, a former president of Mahidol University and the Royal Institute of Thailand and who is now director of Charoen Pokphand Foods, Thailand's largest agribusiness firm and part of the Charoen Pokphand Group, known throughout Thailand as CP.

But by all means blame Yingluck, Thaksin, reality and relevance be damned!

YOU supply them

To attempt to deflect from that with nonsense about "fabricated" totals and time frames as well as "false statistics" is but an empty apologist effort.

Yes, I missed a batch. If the entire scheme had ever been run efficiently, effectively, and transparently, the chance of that would diminish to zero. Instead, it's been one long road of ever-changing deadlines, goals, deliveries, suppliers, auctions, delays and endless conflicting reports from in-fighting ministries (Education and ICT).

The battle over control and the inbred corruption has been fierce between the two resulting in confusion and lack of transparency.

Is that some sort of roundabout way of conceding that the statistics you put out were totally fabricated and inaccurate?! If you'd simply done that to start with we could have saved a few posts and considerable time! Like it or not, the tablets are arriving, promises being kept and former speculation you have made proved to be inaccurate... much like your statistics!

Quite how many websites have reported 730,000 not 73,000? Again I suggest you just enter this into your search provider "730,000 tablets Thailand" and see quite how any links you are offered!!! Yes many of these originate from the nation article, but this figure is linked to from scores of different sources...

What part of YOU made the claim, YOU supply the links that support YOUR claim, do you not comprehend?

If you are claiming the numbers I used are fabricated, show how and what they are.

I concede nothing until you show something opposing that differs from 134,000 tablets out of 11,000,000 pledged have been delivered. 1 - 2%, so far, of the "promise being kept."

Go back over some of those threads that were here before you and perhaps that can help you to see that.

Ok Bulchholz calm down, the way you are contradicting your own "statistics" you don't need any help in convincing me that your "figures" are false. They have changed 3 times over the course of this thread already...

1% becomes 2% and now somewhere between the two, kind of irrelevant to the reality that these tablets are being delivered and the scheme is being implemented... however much that irks you, that is what's happening and it's plain for all to see.

I've flicked through your posts on previous related threads and you seem to be arguing from two opposing standpoints here, you disagree with the entire scheme and didn't want to see it implemented but now you appear to wish to rush the process and expect delivery of 11,000,000 tablets in a few weeks? Surely it would be better to stage the implementation of the tablets in a sustainable manner rather than rush in and purchase 11,000,000 before the scheme has been partially implemented, studied and conclusions as to it's function drawn...

Incidentally I didn't realise that the length of membership on this forum (or number of posts for that matter) was somehow a yard stick to judge one's comments on; I guess the fact that I've been living in Thailand on and off for over a decade is irrelevant... or that I actually work here, talking to Thais on a daily basis from all walks of society, from the sheltered elitists that you champion so vehemently to the marginalised masses you pour such scorn on...

Edited by Ferangled

The Dems were in power for 18 months while contending with the Red shirt rallies making them less than functional (but that was OK.right)

About schools. There ARE some schools that have a MUCH larger budget. Such as the university demonstration schools. Mahidol demonstration school for example has a HUGE lecture hall with all the bells and whistles. It is used infrequently.

Oh the irony... I wonder why certain schools are favoured in terms of facilities budgets etc... couldn't possibly be their ties with certain elite families could it?!

Abhisit was preceded in public service by his father, Athasit (อรรถสิทธิ์) Vejjajiva, a former president of Mahidol University and the Royal Institute of Thailand and who is now director of Charoen Pokphand Foods, Thailand's largest agribusiness firm and part of the Charoen Pokphand Group, known throughout Thailand as CP.

But by all means blame Yingluck, Thaksin, reality and relevance be damned!

Who has laid the blame on Thaksin for schools. Not I sir.

Certain schools are favoured because that's how the MOE do thing's.

It does seem so black and white to you. Can I ask how do you think the numerous projects are going. Do you think they are successful.

I believe there are some OK ideas but the approach and implementation are flawed. What's your opinion?

YOU supply them

Ok Bulchholz calm down, the way you are contradicting your own "statistics" you don't need any help in convincing me that your "figures" are false. They have changed 3 times over the course of this thread already...

1% becomes 2% and now somewhere between the two, kind of irrelevant to the reality that these tablets are being delivered and the scheme is being implemented... however much that irks you, that is what's happening and it's plain for all to see.

I've flicked through your posts on previous related threads and you seem to be arguing from two opposing standpoints here, you disagree with the entire scheme and didn't want to see it implemented but now you appear to wish to rush the process and expect delivery of 11,000,000 tablets in a few weeks? Surely it would be better to stage the implementation of the tablets in a sustainable manner rather than rush in and purchase 11,000,000 before the scheme has been partially implemented, studied and conclusions as to it's function drawn...

Incidentally I didn't realise that the length of membership on this forum (or number of posts for that matter) was somehow a yard stick to judge one's comments on; I guess the fact that I've been living in Thailand on and off for over a decade is irrelevant... or that I actually work here, talking to Thais on a daily basis from all walks of society, from the sheltered elitists that you champion so vehemently to the marginalised masses you pour such scorn on...

Surely. It would have been even better to have partially implemented. Studied and drawn conclusions BEFORE contracting to purchase over 65 million US dollars worth of tablet computers AND that's just this years P1's

It does seem so black and white to you. Can I ask how do you think the numerous projects are going. Do you think they are successful.

I believe there are some OK ideas but the approach and implementation are flawed. What's your opinion?

Actually that is exactly what you suggested... selective memory loss? Try reading back a few posts... failing that and in the interest of clarity I'll save you the effort:

I was simply explaining to those with somewhat limited powers of critical thinking that holding up the development of the vast majority of schools because a minority of rural schools still haven't even got electricity is madness. The infrastructure changes in these remote places will take time, the changes are happening as the quote suggests, but these aren't minor works that will happen overnight, also pointedly the current lack of facilities in these schools can't be blamed on the current administration who have been in power less than a year... well I guess they can be if you're completely blinkered and ignore common sense...

Your equal opportunities ideal is great but it is just that, an ideal, a dream, and as is evidenced by nations with much better existing infrastructures than Thailand this is not a reality anywhere. The rich do get better opportunities the world over, there are poor parts of countries and there are affluent areas. I never said these schools should be deprived of electricity and kept in the dark ages, as has suited the ruling classes for centuries, that was your "take" Dolly... your idea of lowering standards in other schools to create a level playing field is just insanity. Yes because a handful of schools don't have electricity we should cut the feeds to all school's in Thailand! Great idea... your logic is faultless!

The changes are happening, improvements are being noticed and time will tell whether the Thai electorate will respond by re-electing their chosen party. They're far from perfect but they certainly seem to be taking steps in the right direction albeit being held back by continual in-fighting and a less than functional opposition...

When will you understand the current administration is just an extension of Shinawatra governments going back to 2001.

Which takes us back to the point I just raised about the obvious link between Mahidol and Abhisit's family...

Surely. It would have been even better to have partially implemented. Studied and drawn conclusions BEFORE contracting to purchase over 65 million US dollars worth of tablet computers AND that's just this years P1's

But you would prefer they purchased all 11,000,000 now rather than the current partial implementation to 1st year students?! There were initial studies conducted prior to the purchase order, now there's partial implementation and ongoing studies...

You and Bulchholz seem to flip flop back and forth at will on this subject. 11,000,000 now or a few 1,000 for initial studies? You do realise that they did conduct initial studies prior to the purchase order... what am I thinking you must do, you and Bulchholz are veritable databases of information... do you want a link to a related thread on TV?!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/550057-no-deal-on-computer-tablets-thai-education-ministry-prepares-textbooks/

No prizes for guessing who chimed up first on that thread either!! What's that saying about empty vessels...

"Suchart said if a purchase contract was signed, the Chinese supplier would have to swiftly deliver 2,000 tablets to Thailand initially, as the devices would be needed for use in training.

In a related development, Srinakharinwirot University (SWU) president Asst Prof Dr Chalermchai Boonyaleepan said that a study on the use of tablets for learning in class would be concluded soon."

So following on from these studies what would be the prudent thing to do order all 11,000,000 or get them in batches, testing each batch for faults and implementing the scheme in a controlled and documented fashion, conducting further real world studies in schools that have the tablets and drawing conclusions from these prior to ordering another 10,000,000 or so tablets?!

I notice that Bulchholz was staunchly calling for all 11,000,000 back in April... I guess common sense and reality of production, training, product testing and partial implementation over time is irrelevant, Bulchholz saw a campaign promise and he wants it delivered, yesterday!

Actually that is exactly what you suggested... selective memory loss? Try reading back a few posts... failing that and in the interest of clarity I'll save you the effort:

I was simply explaining to those with somewhat limited powers of critical thinking that holding up the development of the vast majority of schools because a minority of rural schools still haven't even got electricity is madness. The infrastructure changes in these remote places will take time, the changes are happening as the quote suggests, but these aren't minor works that will happen overnight, also pointedly the current lack of facilities in these schools can't be blamed on the current administration who have been in power less than a year... well I guess they can be if you're completely blinkered and ignore common sense...

Your equal opportunities ideal is great but it is just that, an ideal, a dream, and as is evidenced by nations with much better existing infrastructures than Thailand this is not a reality anywhere. The rich do get better opportunities the world over, there are poor parts of countries and there are affluent areas. I never said these schools should be deprived of electricity and kept in the dark ages, as has suited the ruling classes for centuries, that was your "take" Dolly... your idea of lowering standards in other schools to create a level playing field is just insanity. Yes because a handful of schools don't have electricity we should cut the feeds to all school's in Thailand! Great idea... your logic is faultless!

The changes are happening, improvements are being noticed and time will tell whether the Thai electorate will respond by re-electing their chosen party. They're far from perfect but they certainly seem to be taking steps in the right direction albeit being held back by continual in-fighting and a less than functional opposition...

When will you understand the current administration is just an extension of Shinawatra governments going back to 2001.

Which takes us back to the point I just raised about the obvious link between Mahidol and Abhisit's family...

So your implying I suggested something now. You even try and put words in my mouth. Unbelievable. Where did I state the relatively abysmal thai education system is all Thaksins fault. To be fair some things do have to be leveled at his door but the whole. No

sent from my Wellcom A90+

1% becomes 2% and now somewhere between the two, kind of irrelevant to the reality that these tablets are being delivered and the scheme is being implemented...

I never said 2%, I said "on its way to 2%", which is why when I later used "1 - 2%" is the same thing and is no change at all

Yes, they are being delivered.... now we have < 2% (yet another way of saying the same thing) of their pledged total that are delivered..and those are over 2 months late.

Terrific performance

I've flicked through your posts on previous related threads and you seem to be arguing from two opposing standpoints here, you disagree with the entire scheme and didn't want to see it implemented but now you appear to wish to rush the process and expect delivery of 11,000,000 tablets in a few weeks?

Surely it would be better to stage the implementation of the tablets in a sustainable manner rather than rush in and purchase 11,000,000 before the scheme has been partially implemented, studied and conclusions as to it's function drawn...

When you flicked through those related threads did you happen to see the proportion of posters who disagreed with the entire scheme as it was being presented? I would say it was likely in the upper 90 percentile that thought so.

It's not been a "few weeks". The scheme was put forth before the July 2011 elections and deliveries were promised months and months before their announcement of May as receiving them. I've only highlight how poorly they've kept to their own announcements.

My points have never been opposing. I was against it from the outset. Since they persisted with the scheme, I've been against them not living up to their subsequent claims.

talking to Thais on a daily basis from all walks of society, from the sheltered elitists that you champion so vehemently to the marginalised masses you pour such scorn on...

laugh.png

that old worn out chestnut where opposing corruption of ill-conceived and poorly implemented scams somehow equates to "scorn the poor"

rolleyes.gif

your feigned class war outrage is laughably off-target

Edited by Buchholz

But you would prefer they purchased all 11,000,000 now rather than the current partial implementation to 1st year students?! There were initial studies conducted prior to the purchase order, now there's partial implementation and ongoing studies...

You and Bulchholz seem to flip flop back and forth at will on this subject. 11,000,000 now or a few 1,000 for initial studies? You do realise that they did conduct initial studies prior to the purchase order... what am I thinking you must do, you and Bulchholz are veritable databases of information... do you want a link to a related thread on TV?!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/550057-no-deal-on-computer-tablets-thai-education-ministry-prepares-textbooks/

No prizes for guessing who chimed up first on that thread either!! What's that saying about empty vessels...

"Suchart said if a purchase contract was signed, the Chinese supplier would have to swiftly deliver 2,000 tablets to Thailand initially, as the devices would be needed for use in training.

In a related development, Srinakharinwirot University (SWU) president Asst Prof Dr Chalermchai Boonyaleepan said that a study on the use of tablets for learning in class would be concluded soon."

So following on from these studies what would be the prudent thing to do order all 11,000,000 or get them in batches, testing each batch for faults and implementing the scheme in a controlled and documented fashion, conducting further real world studies in schools that have the tablets and drawing conclusions from these prior to ordering another 10,000,000 or so tablets?!

I notice that Bulchholz was staunchly calling for all 11,000,000 back in April... I guess common sense and reality of production, training, product testing and partial implementation over time is irrelevant, Bulchholz saw a campaign promise and he wants it delivered, yesterday!

Umm were are your links or proof of proper real school studies about the implementing of this tablets scheme. Same rule of proof applies to you.

Personally I'm on record as stating I think this is a bad idea as implemented. You just seem to argue. But never give your ideas.

Im sure I have asked you a few times about your thoughts.

Again what are your thoughts about the implemention of this and the other vote buying schemes?

1% becomes 2% and now somewhere between the two, kind of irrelevant to the reality that these tablets are being delivered and the scheme is being implemented...

I never said 2%, I said "on its way to 2%", which is why when I later used "1 - 2%" is the same thing and is no change at all

Yes, they are being delivered.... now we have < 2% (yet another way of saying the same thing) of their pledged total that are delivered..and those are over 2 months late.

Terrific performance

So you never said 1% either eh?!!!

Like it or not, the Government appears to be honouring this campaign promise.

so far it seems they've honored around 1% of their promised 11,000,000 tablets. Only 99% more to go.

Why put statistics out there if they are purely fabricated and inaccurate?!

I asked this question once before, but nobody responded. Has anyone seen the e-learning content? Is it available for download and review?

Some one has actually handled the tab. He stated that there did not seem like there was much content. A few games. An arithmetic app. Thai handwriting app.and another app he could not understanding as it was all thai writing. As for online I have not found anything yet.

I'm hoping to get to see one next week IF they deliver as advertised.

Edited by thaicbr

I asked this question once before, but nobody responded. Has anyone seen the e-learning content? Is it available for download and review?

In addition to thaicbr's remarks, the content is probably copyright Thai government. This may hinder easy downloads. Still maybe the Ministry of Education, or Ministry of ICT websites have more on that. Mind you, if I'm afraid it will be in Thai wai.gif

ADD: it would not surprise me if soon at PantipPlaza, ITMall or other locations ...

Edited by rubl

In addition to thaicbr's remarks, the content is probably copyright Thai government. This may hinder easy downloads. Still maybe the Ministry of Education, or Ministry of ICT websites have more on that. Mind you, if I'm afraid it will be in Thai wai.gif

I forgot to add the guy that tried it said there was no side loading of apps and no google play.

Maybe ANOTHER budget is required for all the 16gb SD cards with apps on. Dunno. Just wondering.

Edited by thaicbr

Terrific performance

:cheesy:

How desperate at straw clutching are you?

Yes, I initially said one percent. That was subsequently amended to more than one percent, but less than two percent.

Huge difference! :D

And that somehow is supposed to completely negate my calling the government's performance abysmal. :lol:

1% or < 2% are both pathetic.

the height of absurdity in your feeble point-making is reached.

Amazingly consistent forum performances from people who oppose everything the gov't does and then flogs them with a whip while they are busy doing what they said they would do.

Last fall I expected many issues with the procurement - projects a fraction of this size done by companies with experience are notoriously difficult for the suppliers and the purchasing team. To be honest, the fact that they have this quantity of production coming now is rather a miracle IMO.

And don't expect this to be the last problem with this project. There will certainly be many more problems to solve. But the important part is that the project has been launched, and the project is being executed, and so far, the problems are being dealt with. It seems quite reasonable that there will be some lessons-learned applied to the next round of procurement.

I've been of two minds on this project, it is huge expenditure and so there are opportunity costs associated with it. On the other hand, it is a bold project with the potential to shift the ground (not just level the playing field) in the education of young Thais. The project also has potential for knock-on developments Thai industry : for local IT infrastructure and local application developers at the very least.

Amazingly consistent forum performances from people who oppose everything the gov't does and then flogs them with a whip while they are busy doing what they said they would do.

Last fall I expected many issues with the procurement - projects a fraction of this size done by companies with experience are notoriously difficult for the suppliers and the purchasing team. To be honest, the fact that they have this quantity of production coming now is rather a miracle IMO.

And don't expect this to be the last problem with this project. There will certainly be many more problems to solve. But the important part is that the project has been launched, and the project is being executed, and so far, the problems are being dealt with. It seems quite reasonable that there will be some lessons-learned applied to the next round of procurement.

I've been of two minds on this project, it is huge expenditure and so there are opportunity costs associated with it. On the other hand, it is a bold project with the potential to shift the ground (not just level the playing field) in the education of young Thais. The project also has potential for knock-on developments Thai industry : for local IT infrastructure and local application developers at the very least.

Go past the first paragraph and your post is reasonable and well rounded. Well done.

We did miss you :P

Edited by thaicbr

Umm were are your links or proof of proper real school studies about the implementing of this tablets scheme. Same rule of proof applies to you.

Personally I'm on record as stating I think this is a bad idea as implemented. You just seem to argue. But never give your ideas.

Again what are your thoughts about the implemention of this and the other vote buying schemes?

Sorry, did you miss the article attached to the thread I linked to? I even quoted the reference to the studies for you. If you require further proof please contact those who actually conducted the studies, I personally wasn't involved. As I understand it the conclusions and comments from a number of other studies and trials in different countries were also considered.

I've made my views on this subject very clear in the past. I do believe that tablets can play a useful role as a learning aid, not just in relation to the accepted subjects studied but in a wider sense becoming familiar with technology and comfortable with it's use. That said while tablets may provide a useful way for the younger students to get involved, develop hand eye coordination skills and aid learning, ultimately they fall short in function when compared to laptops/ PCs which I'd suggest would be more relevant to secondary school and vocational students...

That's one of the reasons why I see the initial implementation of the scheme in primary schools rather than a sudden rush to purchase 11,000,000 tablets (as suggested by Bulchholz), as a much better way to start this scheme. Clearly this whole scheme was a populist campaign promise to gain voters enthusiasm, much as we see the world over in politics. As evidenced by the last election this along with many other factors had the desired outcome. Now that this scheme is actually being implemented it's refreshing to see a concerted attempt by the Government to honour it's promises.

Should the primary focus be on improving the standards of teaching, general curriculum, facilities etc rather than tablet computers? Why of course it should but that wouldn't be too popular with the electorate who prefer to see instant changes and results (much like Bulchholz again!). I'm afraid that's part and parcel of democracy, if you want to win votes you have to be popular and offer popular policies to your electorate. One party seems to understand the people and the constraints of democracy, the other simply tries to wrestle power against their will and abuse them, preferring a more absolute route to power. That's a massive generalisation but I'm posting on an internet forum not writing a detailed, critical essay on the subject...

I think that I've ventured off topic enough...Incidentally please reference a Government that has honoured every campaign promise to the letter that you see as a glowing example for Thailand's politicians to follow...

Terrific performance

cheesy.gif

How desperate at straw clutching are you?

Yes, I initially said one percent. That was subsequently amended to more than one percent, but less than two percent.

Huge difference! biggrin.png

And that somehow is supposed to completely negate my calling the government's performance abysmal. laugh.png

1% or < 2% are both pathetic.

the height of absurdity in your feeble point-making is reached.

Finally you just came out and said it Bulhholz!!! So you admit all those posts ago when I called BS on your statistics I was correct!!! Finally!

How long did it take you?! You've admitted your "statistics" are total BS and rather than trying to hide behind some fictional numbers you've created you just came out and said what you wanted to say... bravo!

It seems my dialogue has promoted you to finally grow a pair... well done clap2.gif

You could have saved us all a lot of grief and just said at the start - regardless of whether they deliver these tablets or not, I'm against them... errr... just because I am, ok!!!

• Like 1

That's one of the reasons why I see the initial implementation of the scheme in primary schools rather than a sudden rush to purchase 11,000,000 tablets (as suggested by Bulchholz)

purchase 11,000,000 tablets (as suggested by Bulchholz ) Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul

Why of course it should but that wouldn't be too popular with the electorate who prefer to see instant changes and results (much like Bulchholz again!).

who prefer to see instant changes and results (much like Bulchholz Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul

again!).

1. As much as you like assigning Yingluck's point man's views as mine, they are not.

2. It's B-u-c-h-h-o-l-z.....

That's one of the reasons why I see the initial implementation of the scheme in primary schools rather than a sudden rush to purchase 11,000,000 tablets (as suggested by Bulchholz)

purchase 11,000,000 tablets (as suggested by Bulchholz ) Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5518130

Why of course it should but that wouldn't be too popular with the electorate who prefer to see instant changes and results (much like Bulchholz again!).

who prefer to see instant changes and results (much like Bulchholz Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul

again!).

1. As much as you like assigning Yingluck's point man's views as mine, they are not.

My sincere apologies Buchholz.

Incidentally the links you provided don't actually prove your point in anyway...

There's a reference to a statement made by our "point man"... but no promise that they would instantly deliver 11,000,000 tablets...

"We will try to give tablet PCs to all students in primary and secondary school," he said, adding that vocational students would also get the tablets...

But the 11,000,000 and the instant delivery seems to be your fabrication... much like the 1% 1-2% 2% less than 2% etc etc etc whistling.gif

Edit. Fear not, I won't get petty about you editing my post in your quote...

Edited by Ferangled

Sorry, did you miss the article attached to the thread I linked to? I even quoted the reference to the studies for you. If you require further proof please contact those who actually conducted the studies, I personally wasn't involved. As I understand it the conclusions and comments from a number of other studies and trials in different countries were also considered.

I've made my views on this subject very clear in the past. I do believe that tablets can play a useful role as a learning aid, not just in relation to the accepted subjects studied but in a wider sense becoming familiar with technology and comfortable with it's use. That said while tablets may provide a useful way for the younger students to get involved, develop hand eye coordination skills and aid learning, ultimately they fall short in function when compared to laptops/ PCs which I'd suggest would be more relevant to secondary school and vocational students...

That's one of the reasons why I see the initial implementation of the scheme in primary schools rather than a sudden rush to purchase 11,000,000 tablets (as suggested by Bulchholz), as a much better way to start this scheme. Clearly this whole scheme was a populist campaign promise to gain voters enthusiasm, much as we see the world over in politics. As evidenced by the last election this along with many other factors had the desired outcome. Now that this scheme is actually being implemented it's refreshing to see a concerted attempt by the Government to honour it's promises.

Should the primary focus be on improving the standards of teaching, general curriculum, facilities etc rather than tablet computers? Why of course it should but that wouldn't be too popular with the electorate who prefer to see instant changes and results (much like Bulchholz again!). I'm afraid that's part and parcel of democracy, if you want to win votes you have to be popular and offer popular policies to your electorate. One party seems to understand the people and the constraints of democracy, the other simply tries to wrestle power against their will and abuse them, preferring a more absolute route to power. That's a massive generalisation but I'm posting on an internet forum not writing a detailed, critical essay on the subject...

I think that I've ventured off topic enough...Incidentally please reference a Government that has honoured every campaign promise to the letter that you see as a glowing example for Thailand's politicians to follow...

Umm well I saw a nation link saying that a study would be concluded soon. I did not see any conclusions. Maybe you could find those. PTP have been very good at PR soundbites not so good at final info.

Oh by the way it was the PTP government who stated 'one tablet per child ' as a time line I would suggest within the 4 year term. What do you think?

Umm well I saw a nation link saying that a study would be concluded soon. I did not see any conclusions. Maybe you could find those. PTP have been very good at PR soundbites not so good at final info.

Oh by the way it was the PTP government who stated 'one tablet per child ' as a time line I would suggest within the 4 year term. What do you think?

So having demanded I state my views you ignore them completely choosing instead to focus on the lack of clarity as to the initial studies... you claimed they'd never taken place, clearly that's incorrect. If you require further details as to the conclusions of these studies please contact those responsible and request the information you desire! It's irrelevant to the post you have just replied to...

Perhaps you could return the common courtesy I expressed to you, by answering your points and clarifying my stance as you demanded, by actually replying to the points raised in mine...

As for your question, I'd suggest you read my posts, I have covered this in some depth... I think it would be rather foolish to rush into the supply of 11,000,000 tablets before concluding studies of the initial order in a real, school environment on a national scale. 4 years? Personally I'd stagger this over a much longer period, clearly the technology will change and in 1-2 years time the current price and specification will be out of date.

It makes much more sense to implement this gradually, measuring the merits of the scheme as it's implemented and changing it accordingly, as technology changes, so next years batch can be adjusted to better suit the changing technology and the conclusions drawn from actual widespread usage in schools...

So having demanded I state my views you ignore them completely choosing instead to focus on the lack of clarity as to the initial studies... you claimed they'd never taken place, clearly that's incorrect. If you require further details as to the conclusions of these studies please contact those responsible and request the information you desire! It's irrelevant to the post you have just replied to...

Perhaps you could return the common courtesy I expressed to you, by answering your points and clarifying my stance as you demanded, by actually replying to the points raised in mine...

As for your question, I'd suggest you read my posts, I have covered this in some depth... I think it would be rather foolish to rush into the supply of 11,000,000 tablets before concluding studies of the initial order in a real, school environment on a national scale. 4 years? Personally I'd stagger this over a much longer period, clearly the technology will change and in 1-2 years time the current price and specification will be out of date.

It makes much more sense to implement this gradually, measuring the merits of the scheme as it's implemented and changing it accordingly, as technology changes, so next years batch can be adjusted to better suit the changing technology and the conclusions drawn from actual widespread usage in schools...

The initial order was for 400,000 units. Then even before they rolled those out on a national scale they ordered another 400,000.

As far as i'm aware there has never been a study in Thai school environment on the purchased units detailing their usefulness and effectiveness.

i haven't ignored your views. sorry did you want me to nit pick at them like you seem to enjoy doing with other posters.

And yes i agree normally any large IT program would have a timeline to follow.. Do you know this projects? I don't and i'm not sure that the powers that be do.

Edited by thaicbr

again!).

Incidentally the links you provided don't actually prove your point in anyway...

There's a reference to a statement made by our "point man"... but no promise that they would instantly deliver 11,000,000 tablets...

"We will try to give tablet PCs to all students in primary and secondary school," he said, adding that vocational students would also get the tablets...

But the 11,000,000 and the instant delivery seems to be your fabrication... much like the 1% 1-2% 2% less than 2% etc etc etc whistling.gif

The 11 million comes from the quote regarding all primary, secondary, and vocational students. That's approximately how many primary, secondary, and vocational students there are.

Additionally you forgot to include the rest of the quote regarding the pledge... and the time frame:

"Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul pledged"

"by May"

as for the "instant" part... that's your own fabrication. The pledge from the Education Minister *not Buchholz* to deliver 11 million tablets by May was made.... last year in December.

The < 2 % is no fabrication. It is the reality of that pledge versus what's on the ground in the last part of July.

Edited by Buchholz

The 11 million comes from the quote regarding all primary, secondary, and vocational students. That's approximately how many primary, secondary, and vocational students there are.

Additionally you forgot to include the rest of the quote regarding the pledge... and the time frame:

"by May"

as for the "instant" part... that's your own fabrication. The pledge from the Education Minister *not Buchholz* to deliver 11 million tablets by May was made.... last year in December.

The < 2 % is no fabrication. It is the reality of that pledge versus what's on the ground in the last part of July.

We will try is now a firm indication of a promise? Not where I come from.... we will try means just that, we will try, no definitive confirmation of numbers, no binding promise, no contractual agreement. I like the way you have chopped up what was said and then applied your own loose interpretation of his statement both to numbers and the nature of the statement.

Regardless, tablets are arriving and they haven't simply brushed the scheme under the carpet as many parties would have down having achieved their goals and been elected...

"by May"

We will try is now a firm indication of a promise? Not where I come from.... we will try means just that, we will try, no definitive confirmation of numbers, no binding promise, no contractual agreement. I like the way you have chopped up what was said and then applied your own loose interpretation of his statement both to numbers and the nature of the statement.

Regardless, tablets are arriving and they haven't simply brushed the scheme under the carpet as many parties would have down having achieved their goals and been elected...

Possibly because there are 4 million dollars to earn. If you dont know what I'm insinuating then look up the extra $1 for delivery. Added to the contract just before it was finalized.

But yes some are being delivered so know we will see how they sort out the apps. Class room infrastructure and learning content.

Ps. I do not have a copy of the contract dictating the back hander. Sorry :D