Southeast Asia's Largest Observatory To Be Built In Chiang Mai

Jai Dee

SOUTHEAST ASIA'S LARGEST OBSERVATORY WILL BE CONSTRUCTED ON DOI INTHANOND IN CHIANG MAI

Chiang Mai University will construct Southeast Asia's largest observatory on top of Doi Inthanond (ดอยอินทนนท์) in Chiang Mai.

The National Institute of Astronomy (สถาบันวิจัยดาราศาสตร์แห่งชาติ) has signed a collaboration agreement with the Jodrell Bank Observatory of Manchester University, which is amongst the world-renowned astrology institutes.

This collaboration will boost the capability of new-generation astronomers and prompt Thai youths to increase their interests in the field. It will also spur international astronomy research networks. The National Institute of Astronomy is located in Chiang Mai province, and plans are underway for construction of Southeast Asia's largest observatory on Doi Inthanond in Chiang Mai. The foundation stone will be laid down this year and construction is expected to complete next year.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 January 2006

Maybe if they stop burning plastic garbage by the ton the telescope may actually be able to see something. :o

cv

Though I'm sure some burning of plastic continues (or so my nose tells me), I seriously doubt it is in any large quantities since even the plastic bags can now be sold to recyclers for cash.

SOUTHEAST ASIA'S LARGEST OBSERVATORY WILL BE CONSTRUCTED ON DOI INTHANOND IN CHIANG MAI

Chiang Mai University will construct Southeast Asia's largest observatory on top of Doi Inthanond (ดอยอินทนนท์) in Chiang Mai.

The National Institute of Astronomy (สถาบันวิจัยดาราศาสตร์แห่งชาติ) has signed a collaboration agreement with the Jodrell Bank Observatory of Manchester University, which is amongst the world-renowned astrology institutes.

This collaboration will boost the capability of new-generation astronomers and prompt Thai youths to increase their interests in the field. It will also spur international astronomy research networks. The National Institute of Astronomy is located in Chiang Mai province, and plans are underway for construction of Southeast Asia's largest observatory on Doi Inthanond in Chiang Mai. The foundation stone will be laid down this year and construction is expected to complete next year.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 January 2006

Guess we can add another hub...Telescope Hub.. :o