Thai Eating Habits

coolhandjoe

Thai food is generally health usually, a lot of the stuff you buy or is popular in the street is Thai junk food.

I mean Thailand rate of heart disease is no even bad, compared to the west. So they are generally eating healthier than most of us you would think.

Its not like Thai's eat crap all day, you see them snacking on fruit, veggies and junk food.

In the west a lot snack on fried crap and sweet stuff.

Web, have you looked at the avg Thai fanny lately (female)? Now look at them Ice Coffees (aka condensed sweetened milk+nescafe i think) being carried by the owners of those same fannies. Yea they may have a piece of pineapple between cups of ice coffee. ;)

I agree on the whole with many in this thread with most thai food being over rated, that does come down to personal taste really as some people will eat anything...on a flight when they bring round the breakfast in the morning with the omelette and that half cooked grey looking sausage and it turns my gut but the person next to me is chowing down on it as if Gordon Ramsays just cooked it for them...

as for eating habits, It was not unknown for me to wake up with the smell of peasent food or pork being grilled wafting under my nose at 1am...I had to put my foot down and have a word, now she's working it rarely happens, perhaps thats the issue of this thread and eating habits? the fact that theres no work to get up for in the morning?

Thai food is generally health usually, a lot of the stuff you buy or is popular in the street is Thai junk food.

I mean Thailand rate of heart disease is no even bad, compared to the west. So they are generally eating healthier than most of us you would think.

Its not like Thai's eat crap all day, you see them snacking on fruit, veggies and junk food.

Web, have you looked at the avg Thai fanny lately (female)? Now look at them Ice Coffees (aka condensed sweetened milk+nescafe i think) being carried by the owners of those same fannies. Yea they may have a piece of pineapple between cups of ice coffee. wink.png

Been to the west lately?

While some eat healthy, I seen plenty eating things that would probably give some people diabetes in 1 day.

When I was in Texas they were selling deep fried butter laugh.png and it was very popular, I even gave it a go and it was the most revolting thing I have ever tasted. Surprised I didn't get an instant heart attack.

While there is healthy and unhealthy food anywhere you go, its the choices people make.

And I don't buy the people claiming they have some fat disorder. It's not like the pork chop forced it's way into peoples mouths.

Web, have you looked at the avg Thai fanny lately (female)? Now look at them Ice Coffees (aka condensed sweetened milk+nescafe i think) being carried by the owners of those same fannies. Yea they may have a piece of pineapple between cups of ice coffee. wink.png

Been to the west lately?

While some eat healthy, I seen plenty eating things that would probably give some people diabetes in 1 day.

When I was in Texas they were selling deep fried butter laugh.png and it was very popular, I even gave it a go and it was the most revolting thing I have ever tasted. Surprised I didn't get an instant heart attack.

While there is healthy and unhealthy food anywhere you go, its the choices people make.

And I don't buy the people claiming they have some fat disorder. It's not like the pork chop forced it's way into peoples mouths.

I agree with you there. We had to recently re-enforce the floor beneath our customer service team area not because the floor was weak. Take a look at their desks and you will find chips and shit, not a fruit in sight.

• Like 1

Since living here I have also adopted the practice of only eating when I am hungry and to stop eating when I am full.

My only gripe is that my Thai relatives seem to be hungry all the time and they are forever offering food to me, but I have to tell them "Mai Hue, Mai Hue" (not hungry).

They are all hard working and skinny so their metabolisms are far different than mine.

Also my wife is a great cook and she has spoilt me to the point that when we eat out, I am comparing that food to hers and my wife's is always better.

Cheers.

I always find it strange when people generalize about Thai food as it is so diverse, it really takes a bit of exploring and trial and error to find what you like. If you are "set in your ways" as to meal time and "proper" foods for each meal, you will need to adapt. Not health food?, try a meal of grilled fish, nam prik with steamed veggies, (norhthern style) ..... If you only go to the same types of restos, it can seem limiting. I am amazed at the variety of food here, to really get a taste, go to the fresh markets at various times of day and night and sample, there are about 50 items that are wrapped in leaves, then steamed or grilled. Some are good, others not good. The first Thai language you should learn is food talk, how to ask, what is this made from? If you know how to tell the cook, don't add this or not so much oil, not salty , you can get it how you like it.

Good advice. I'm depressed when I go back to Oz by the overpriced, tasteless and GM food everywhere. ...And it used to be very good. By comparison thai food especially in our part of the country lives up to the description above, is mostly tasty, organic, clean and cheap.

• Like 1

When you come to Thailand at first the food is strange and exotic you try this and try that and you like most things ( well I did ) but when you have been here for decades you realise just how limited Thai food is especially in the country side we have 3 cafe cum resterants in my village and counting up now there's only maybe 15 or so different dishes on offer .it's just as bad shopping for ingredients to make your own food in the village the same old stuff time and time again fish pork eggs noodles and rice some times I long for the endless rows of goodies on offer at tesco and sainsburys .

We have a couple of the small tesco lotus outlets nearby which offer a few more choices but we have to traval 40 miles into the town centre for any real choice