Culture Clash

er1c

Hi Ladies,

My girlfriend, Liz, and I are due to arrive in Koh Samui for a couple of weeks soon(we are staying on Lamai).

Liz is concerned about attitudes to topless sunbathing in Thailand and, in order to put her mind at rest, I thought I'd come on this forum to ask whether any of you have had any negative experiences relating to it (other than sunburn!). Is it accepted or would you advise against it ?

Many thanks.

E.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ladies,

My girlfriend, Liz, and I are due to arrive in Koh Samui for a couple of weeks soon(we are staying on Lamai).

Liz is concerned about attitudes to topless sunbathing in Thailand and, in order to put her mind at rest, I thought I'd come on this forum to ask whether any of you have had any negative experiences relating to it (other than sunburn!). Is it accepted or would you advise against it ?

Many thanks.

E.

If she can put up with the stares of the Thai men then no problem.

Many older Thai women bear all in the villages and poorer areas of Thailand so it is not something which is not accepted like it would be in Dubai where it would be strictly forbidden.

On the beach whilst lying down, I wouldn't worry too much about it but I would err on the side of modesty & put on a bikini top, if walking on the beach or going for a swim as it is still considered taboo & as Uma has said, will draw unwanted stares from the men who work the beach.

Wearing a vest top or t-shirt & sarong if going to a beach bar would also be adviseable for her. And if walking down the streets of the town always cover up suffiiently (both of you)

I lived on samui for many years & I know a lot of thai people & they all without exception, thought the tourists walking around the streets with only speedos or a bikini on, to be very rude & disrespectful & a little unhygenic. :o

Thanks a lot for your replies.

On the beach whilst lying down, I wouldn't worry too much about it but I would err on the side of modesty & put on a bikini top, if walking on the beach or going for a swim as it is still considered taboo & as Uma has said, will draw unwanted stares from the men who work the beach.

Wearing a vest top or t-shirt & sarong if going to a beach bar would also be adviseable for her. And if walking down the streets of the town always cover up suffiiently (both of you)

I lived on samui for many years & I know a lot of thai people & they all without exception, thought the tourists walking around the streets with only speedos or a bikini on, to be very rude & disrespectful & a little unhygenic. :o

I have to say that I consider speedos under any circumstances to be rude and disrepectful! :D

Personally, I think topless sunbathing in Asia should not be done at all. This is not Europe or North America. It is highly taboo and wearing a bikini is enough of a leinent compromise to foreigners. If Westerners want to walk around half-naked, they should holiday somewhere in the West.

If you find a deserted beach that is truly deserted, and you don't have to fear for your lives in the event that you are found, then it would be o.k. I have been on a nud_e beach in Canada, and have no problem with nudity. But this is not the West, and their values are much different. I try to find a good compromise between both when I am on a beach vacation. A bikini seems to be the best compromise.

Personally, I think topless sunbathing in Asia should not be done at all. This is not Europe or North America. It is highly taboo and wearing a bikini is enough of a leinent compromise to foreigners. If Westerners want to walk around half-naked, they should holiday somewhere in the West.

If you find a deserted beach that is truly deserted, and you don't have to fear for your lives in the event that you are found, then it would be o.k. I have been on a nud_e beach in Canada, and have no problem with nudity. But this is not the West, and their values are much different. I try to find a good compromise between both when I am on a beach vacation. A bikini seems to be the best compromise.

agreed - i was gonna say this myself - but didnt fancy being lynched in the ladies forum - so waited for a female to voice my opinion...

so thanks Kat

:o

Edited by rio666uk

agreed - i was gonna say this myself - but didnt fancy being lynched in the ladies forum - so waited for a female to voice my opinion...

so thanks Kat

:D

You didn't fancy being lynched by the ladies.

I do.

You should be wearing all your clothes girls, don't wear anything but the thickest jeans and wool jumpers..... :D

Let the lynching begin..... :o:D

redrus

redrus

Edited by redrus

i agree with kat on this one. maybe ive been here too long and adopted the thai attitude to this though. ive certainly become a lot more conservative since being here.

from my experience, the thais feel very uncomfortable with females showing their breasts on the beach, and indeed with women walking around in bikinis (and men walking around in speedos or other beach attire) in places other than the beach.

my staff, all muslim, feel uncomfortable with women wearing bikinis in our restaurant, and i dont like it either. they were all happy the other day when i asked two guests to please put on some clothing when in the restaurant.

i think it was simply because they had seen other tourists doing it and thought that it was ok to do. they were fine with me telling them and we had no problem after that.

I would go with the bikini on the beach, and cover up when you step off the sand.

I used to hate it when tourists would wonder round Tesco lotus in Phuket in their beachwear, my wife always stares when she sees tourist girls topless on the beach and says thats why Thai men think farang girls are easy.

I have nothing against it but I wouldn't want my daughter wondering around a supermarket in a bikini. And your monniker is GROSS. :o

I'm with boo on the topless only when lying on the beach advice. That said, I have to add that it is not really acceptable to drive around the island in a bikini (nor wise if one wishes to keep one's skin intact). And it is downright rude to go into public places not fully dressed. I saw an older farang man driving around on his motorbike in town today wearing only flip flops and a speedo!!!!!

Guys, wear a shirt, girls put on some clothes. And wear some shoes for god's sake! It doesn't make you beachy to walk around without shoes on, it just gives you splinters!

I'm with boo on the topless only when lying on the beach advice. That said, I have to add that it is not really acceptable to drive around the island in a bikini (nor wise if one wishes to keep one's skin intact). And it is downright rude to go into public places not fully dressed. I saw an older farang man driving around on his motorbike in town today wearing only flip flops and a speedo!!!!!

Guys, wear a shirt, girls put on some clothes. And wear some shoes for god's sake! It doesn't make you beachy to walk around without shoes on, it just gives you splinters!

I'm 44 and I have a great body of which I am proud. :o

Edited by Wes Turner

Thai ladies usually swim in shorts and a shirt, and won't wear a bikini. They are too modest. Sure, there are westernized ones who do, but it's not the cultural norm. Also, the further south you go, the larger the Muslim population, with the attendant covering of women. And you want to sunbathe topless. I can't think of anything more rude and disrespectful. Please don't. Farang women have a bad enough reputation already.

I agree with most of the posters here.

To the OP: when you get here you will see that, despite the tourist culture in Samui, Phuket etc., Thai people on the whole cover up and dress modestly. To do otherwise (rightly or wrongly) does invite judgements on your personal morals and conduct (this goes for Thai people themselves as well). While beachwear is acceptable on the beach, it is wise to cover up naked torsos and thighs before leaving the sand - this means even walking back to your hotel.

Topless sunbathing and swimming is simply not part of Thai culture. You'll see most Thai people in fact bathe fully-clothed. You can show some basic courtesy and respect for them (e.g. Donna's staff) by refraining from baring your breasts on public beaches.

I've heard people justify topless bathing by saying 'everyone else was doing it', or (worse IMO) 'I'm paying money to be here and I can do what I want'. Wrong attitude - but hey, up to you.

Just remember this: Thai people may outwardly be very tolerant and they may not seem to be offended; however, they will certainly, privately, think less of you, and foreigners in general, as a result. Strap-lines are a small price to pay to avoid alienating people - and to save your reputation!

(By the way my friend Jo says strap lines are completely avoidable with a little basic technique... :o )

Also, slightly off-topic (but sbk mentioned it first): please, please put your shoes on when you leave the sand!! Dirty, splintered feet are not cool and are considered as 'undressed' as a bikini....

I'm 44 and I have a great body of which I am proud. :o

Good for you, but nobody else is as interested in it as you are.

Cathyy, I disagree, Koh Samui is quite touristy and the Thais living there have become somewhat immune to the various stages of undress of tourists (men and women). That said, I don't recommend topless sunbathing unless she feel she absolutely must do so.

I agree, Cathyy. I think a bikini on a beach populated by Western tourists is a big enough compromise from them. If you go to a stream or waterfall in a national park that is populated by

Thai families, then I would say shorts and t-shirt or bathing suit covered with a sarong.

Edited by kat

I agree, Cathyy. I think a bikini on a beach populated by Western tourists is a big enough compromise from them. If you go to a stream or waterfall in a national park that is populated by

Thai families, then I would say shorts and t-shirt or bathing suit covered with a sarong.

I've just changed my mind, topless sunbathing should be compulsary for all Thai and western women between the ages of 18 and 35

:o:D

He's going to ask you to marry him Kat.... :D:D:D

redrus

I've just changed my mind, topless sunbathing should be compulsary for all Thai and western women between the ages of 18 and 35

:o:D

I wish someone would tell the dutch/germans/russian and whatever other nationalities that wear the "G" string type speedos that they are really not acceptable in any culture!!

I had this very same discussion last weekend with a mixed group of expats. All of the males and females agreed it is totally disrespectful, of Thai culture, to see foreigners near-naked on the beach.... and then to see westerners wandering in public places barely covered is rather outrageous.

I have seen sights on Phuket that made my hair curl - let alone what the Thai locals thought. Even the most westernised Thai males I know believe that topless bathing (let alone nud_e- which has happened in these parts) is NOT a "good look".

Liz is concerned about attitudes to topless sunbathing in Thailand and, in order to put her mind at rest,

if your friend wanna do topless, so try to choose private 'n quiet beach .. (less thai people..more farang ) i do it from time to time :o

I lived on samui for many years & I know a lot of thai people & they all without exception, thought the tourists walking around the streets with only speedos or a bikini on, to be very rude & disrespectful & a little unhygenic. :D

agree with boo

I would go with the bikini on the beach, and cover up when you step off the sand.

can't disagree with :D

A few months ago, while having lunch at the Deck in Samui with my 11 year old daughter (she is Thai) a woman in a bikini with a barely there transparent sarong sat at the table next to us. My daughter's question:

"Mom, is that lady hot?" :o

It was overcast and no, my daughter was not commenting on the woman's sex appeal. :D

there is one thing that i find amusing...I lived nearly a year in Brighton...when I was there i saw 2 or 3 people doing topless during the 2 summer months...

When I came to thailand I was impressed of the number of people doing topless...I though to myself...this is funny...people don´t do topless in their countries where is social allowed and they do it in a coutry where its inhabitants find it disrespectful, particular further south where high percentage of the population is muslim...

I remember once having supper in a thai restaurant we saw this woman walked in a very tiny bikini actually she was wearing a tong, the amazing thing is that we were in the thai part of ko phi phi where there are hardly any tourist shop and most of them are restaurants and shops for thais...so I though " oh gosh she must have spend lots of money in the gym for her wanted to show here body around so much" :o

Imagine the look on thais people faces...particularly in women with their head covered... :D

Hi Ladies,

Many thanks.

E.

Thailand is a Buddhist country where modesty and tolerance are highly valued. The modesty means Thai ladies wear t-shirts and long shorts when swimming. Thai women are very rarely, if ever, seen in even one piece swimsuits nevermind topless bathing. The Thai tolerance is shown by putting up with foreigners who ignore the countries culture by going topless but Thais definitely do not think this is appropriate for women to dress like this. So in answer to your question it's up to you but I would not advise it.