Public Health Ministry Bans Alcohol Sale On August 2 And 3

webfact

The Minister said that in addition to violating Buddhist principles, alcohol consumption can lead to a number of social issues, such as drunk-driving and crimes.

So the thia health ministry cant let thais make up there own mind to observe a buddha day or not and drunk driving and crime are ok on non buddha days then

Did you not know that?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it is a violation of Buddhist practice to drink any day. It's one of the five vows for lay Buddhists, to abstain from alcohol.

Very true indeed!!!

IF (and that is a very big IF) all Thais would be a little religious at all, then ALL Buddhists would not drink alcohol (precept #5) and also the moslims are not supposed to drink alcohol

Makes you wonder who are the (big) drinkers in Thailand... Must be these non-believer farangsgiggle.gif

On the other hand, I wish I got just 1 Baht for every drink a Buddhist/Moslim does drink, I would be millionaire many times over and probably drunk every daywai.gif

Back to coffee1.gif

So there will be a load of utterly plastered Thais around on Saturday then .. better to avoid their watering holes or the chance of getting shot rises significantly. That said, judging from the bass I hear penetrating the walls, the youth have stocked up and are already at it with their boombox pickups. Business as usual.

Are you worried to be dry for 2 days ? Lol

Yes, actually I am. What does it matter to you? After 4 months with a broken leg and just being given clearance to walk without assistance and 5 days off from work, I'd like to enjoy my time off. This is a cause for celebration. Let's add to that ... My girlfriend has just gotten her visa approval to visit the US in October to meet my family. Also, one of my best friends is moving to Bangkok. Yeah, it does kind of bother me, as I am not Buddhist.

Not a doctor but perhaps after not being able to walk for 4 months, drinking and walking may not be the smartest plan

I'm off to the shops to stock up then......

Does it worry you that others may like to have a glass of wine with dinner at the end of the working week?

Keep your panties on.

1. It certainly will not kill you NOT to have a glass of wine for 2 days, but if it bothers you all that much it might be time to seek help for alcoholism.

2. Alcohol in restaurants with meals are not prohibited

^^ Indeed, you aren't a doctor. My actual doctor said it was just fine for me to celebrate over the weekend. My girlfriend and I will be going to Hua Hin tomorrow. Don't worry yourself. I think I will go open a beer because I can. Or, I will go to the shop around the corner and sit in plain view drinking a beer in front of it. What's it to you?

^^ Indeed, you aren't a doctor. My actual doctor said it was just fine for me to celebrate over the weekend. My girlfriend and I will be going to Hua Hin tomorrow. Don't worry yourself. I think I will go open a beer because I can. Or, I will go to the shop around the corner and sit in plain view drinking a beer in front of it. What's it to you?

Are not you just a hero? You will go to shop and drink in open view

2. Alcohol in restaurants with meals are not prohibited

Yes, it is. Hotels are the only exemption.

Really? Wanna bet? Oh wait that's illegal. So have your meal at a hotel restaurant .

Amazing how popular a topic this is every year especially considering this happens once a week in the USA in many states every Sunday.

Check your sources dude. How many states? It is very much in the minority. And, in states like Colorado with this silly law, the bars still serve.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it is a violation of Buddhist practice to drink any day. It's one of the five vows for lay Buddhists, to abstain from alcohol.

Don't want to rain on your parade but it is not a violation of Buddhist practice to drink. They are not supposed to become intoxicated because it interferes with mindfulness.

Are not you just a hero? You will go to shop and drink in open view

Why not? The Thais are out there doing it right now! Why not join them?

So if Thais go jumping off the cliff you will also follow?

Have you considered AA meetings? Since not drinking for 2 days is just such a hassle

If YOUR girlfriend says it must be so.

You are a very uninspiring individual with strange views on things misrepresenting the facts because you fail to understand them. Sad indeed.

Is that so because your girlfriend said so?

I am in Bangkok on holidays and note with amusement the general alcohol sales restriction sign which says no alcohol before 11 - and 2 - 5 pm . 5 pm to midnight is ok. But the sign also says that if you buy more than 10 liters the rules don't apply and you can buy any time. My thoughts went to the bottle stores in the north west of Australia where the locals fill up 4 wheel drive toyotas with grog

Yeah Toyotas will run on anythingrolleyes.gif

I am in Bangkok on holidays and note with amusement the general alcohol sales restriction sign which says no alcohol before 11 - and 2 - 5 pm . 5 pm to midnight is ok. But the sign also says that if you buy more than 10 liters the rules don't apply and you can buy any time. My thoughts went to the bottle stores in the north west of Australia where the locals fill up 4 wheel drive toyotas with grog

Yeah Toyotas will run on anythingrolleyes.gif

Be carefull,I'm very fussy what I give my toyota to drink.

Yes, actually I am. What does it matter to you? After 4 months with a broken leg and just being given clearance to walk without assistance and 5 days off from work, I'd like to enjoy my time off. This is a cause for celebration. Let's add to that ... My girlfriend has just gotten her visa approval to visit the US in October to meet my family. Also, one of my best friends is moving to Bangkok. Yeah, it does kind of bother me, as I am not Buddhist.

Well you not being a Buddhist doesn't have much to do with anything. You decided to live in a Buddhist country. Congrats on your GF getting a US visa. How did she qualify? Was it a tourist or fiancé visa? Just curious as I hadn't heard of many Thai women who seemed to qualify for a tourist visa as they have to prove they will not stay in the US.

I dont like to remind any one but Thailand is not a Bhuddist country. It has freedom of religion and the state and relegion are separated. It just happens to have 90% of its population that follow Bhuddism, and by the way Bhuddism is a philosophy not a religion.

Edited by Pattel

Well you not being a Buddhist doesn't have much to do with anything. You decided to live in a Buddhist country. Congrats on your GF getting a US visa. How did she qualify? Was it a tourist or fiancé visa? Just curious as I hadn't heard of many Thai women who seemed to qualify for a tourist visa as they have to prove they will not stay in the US.

I dont like to remind any one but Thailand is not a Bhuddist country. It has freedom of religion and the state and relegion are separated. It just happens to have 90% of its population that follow Bhuddism, and by the way Bhuddism is a philosophy not a religion.

Come on this thread is getting stupid now with all the name calling etc, now to top it off Mr Pedantic here is saying that a country with 90% Buddhists is not considered a Buddhist country and despite the numerous temples and Buddha statues that Buddhism is not a religion!!!!!! wow you really know how to split hairs,

Edited by sysardman