Public Health Ministry Bans Alcohol Sale On August 2 And 3

webfact

Public Health Ministry bans alcohol sale on Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent Days

BANGKOK, 1 August 2012 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health is banning the sale of alcohol on the upcoming Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent Days, which fall on August 2 and 3, respectively.

Following the Cabinet’s resolution to designate Buddhist Lent Day each year as the “No Alcohol Day”, an announcement was issued by the Prime Minister’s Office in 2009, stating that the sale of alcohol would be prohibited on four major religious holidays, namely Makha Bucha Day, Visakha Bucha Day, Asarnha Bucha Day and Buddhist Lent Day.

Like any other year, Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri confirmed that the alcohol ban will also be imposed during this year’s Asarnha Bucha and Buddhist Lent Days. However, the ban will not cover hotels registered under the Hotel Act.

The Minister said that in addition to violating Buddhist principles, alcohol consumption can lead to a number of social issues, such as drunk-driving and crimes.

The Public Health Ministry is coordinating with health offices nationwide to closely monitor establishments and entertainment venues in their provinces. Violators of the ban will face a jail term of up to six months, or a fine of up to 10,000 baht, or both.

Members of the public who witness illegal sales of alcoholic drinks on both of the religious occasions are advised to contact local authorities at 0-2590-3342.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-01 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I am sure that number is just going to be ringing off the hook! I've already been told at one of my local establishments that they have been given the clearance to sell on Fridays; however, tomorrow is off limits here in Bangkok.

I'm off to the shops to stock up then......

Are you worried to be dry for 2 days ? Lol

I'm on holiday from work, and I am getting together with friends on Friday. Not worried about being dry for two days, but worried that when I will want a beer, I can't get one. Is that okay?

I'm off to the shops to stock up then......

I'm on holiday from work, and I am getting together with friends on Friday. Not worried about being dry for two days, but worried that when I will want a beer, I can't get one. Is that okay?

No, it's not. While I agree with you and have similar reasons for wanting to have a few beers, we are labelled as alcoholics and referred to AA by those who can't understand the desire to or are unable to responsibly have a drop!

The Minister said that in addition to violating Buddhist principles, alcohol consumption can lead to a number of social issues, such as drunk-driving and crimes.

So the thia health ministry cant let thais make up there own mind to observe a buddha day or not and drunk driving and crime are ok on non buddha days then

• Like 1

Yes, actually I am. What does it matter to you? After 4 months with a broken leg and just being given clearance to walk without assistance and 5 days off from work, I'd like to enjoy my time off. This is a cause for celebration. Let's add to that ... My girlfriend has just gotten her visa approval to visit the US in October to meet my family. Also, one of my best friends is moving to Bangkok. Yeah, it does kind of bother me, as I am not Buddhist.

I may have had some symphony for you wanting to have a drink as you have broken your leg & have had good news about your girl friends visa, but to say...”I am not Buddhist” is very disrespectful!!!! What’s your problem? You have beer now so stay home & drink!! ? If a Buddhist visits or lives in a country that celebrates Christmas day & that country you cannot go to a shop to buy beer what should they do & say??

Yes, actually I am. What does it matter to you? After 4 months with a broken leg and just being given clearance to walk without assistance and 5 days off from work, I'd like to enjoy my time off. This is a cause for celebration. Let's add to that ... My girlfriend has just gotten her visa approval to visit the US in October to meet my family. Also, one of my best friends is moving to Bangkok. Yeah, it does kind of bother me, as I am not Buddhist.

Well you not being a Buddhist doesn't have much to do with anything. You decided to live in a Buddhist country. Congrats on your GF getting a US visa. How did she qualify? Was it a tourist or fiancé visa? Just curious as I hadn't heard of many Thai women who seemed to qualify for a tourist visa as they have to prove they will not stay in the US.

Close this ....we get these same arguments every time there's an alcohol ban.

Those who want well they can buy a day early, those who don't well thats fine,

Buddah, Christian or whatever, the fact is its the law. End Of!!

Edited by Tafia
  • Like 2

If a Buddhist visits or lives in a country that celebrates Christmas day & that country you cannot go to a shop to buy beer what should they do & say??

exactly.. people should be able to do what they want when they want. not everyone in Thailand is buddish... and yes i'm refering to locals.

Quote:

Unquote.

How long did he take to work that out? BTW what principles is he talking about? Is there one that says 'Thou shall not steal?'

• Like 1

Go to the shop NOW (today, before midnight), stock up on all the booze and beer you need to survive those 2 short days - problem solved. Why do we have pages and pages of disgruntled posts EACH AND EVERY TIME such a holiday comes around? This NOT the first time alcohol sales are banned in Thailand, you know... GET OVER IT!

And if you're getting out of town: you'll ALWAYS find a shop willing to sell you a few bottles, and regardless of the ban.

• Like 2