Child'S Bank Account

I would like to open a Bank account for my child in (Thailand) The account would be used for his grandmother to be able to give him some money for birthdays, Christmas that sort of thing.

I would like an account that he can not access until he is a certain age,

I would like an account that I may put money into in the UK so maybe a bank like HSBC?

What I would like really is an account that you can put money into in Thailand and put money into from the UK or withdraw money from the UK.

Any advice as what bank accounts I may open for him would be gratefully revived.

Thank you

I was told by 2 banks the minimum age was 6, that was for a term deposit also. Am not aware of childrens 'current' accounts...Does your child have a UK birth cert....there are some good kiddies accounts in the UK and of course do not attract tax until allowance is reached

The following thread may be of use:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/573010-investment-for-thai-children/

We opened mutual fund accounts and then bank accounts not long after birth. As minors the kids can't access the accounts alone until well into their teens.

I don't know of any Thai account you can put money into in both Thailand and the UK. The most likely solution is a bank transfer from UK to Thailand. Withdrawing in the UK from a Thai bank account isn't likely to be a great option either given fees. Children generally don't get an ATM card, so to do this you would probably be looking at internet banking to transfer into your account that does. It would probably be better to set up a UK sterling bank account in UK, and separate Thai baht bank account here.

:)

Siam Commercial, Chiangmai- Thai Niece needed an account with debit card. She is in 11th grade. She was going to China for 8 months of intensive Chinese language study. Went in to SCB and ask for a savings account with debit card in her name. Once waited on, everything was done and 15 minutes later off we went. She withdraws money by ATM in China every month. I keep the book to add money in CM.

It's common. Getting ready to open joint account with our son to put SSA money in as a savings account for college in 5 years. Go talk to to them. Good luck.

Edited by Lifer

Siam Commercial, Chiangmai- Thai Niece needed an account with debit card. She is in 11th grade. She was going to China for 8 months of intensive Chinese language study. Went in to SCB and ask for a savings account with debit card in her name. Once waited on, everything was done and 15 minutes later off we went. She withdraws money by ATM in China every month. I keep the book to add money in CM.

It's common. Getting ready to open joint account with our son to put SSA money in as a savings account for college in 5 years. Go talk to to them. Good luck.

You forgot to mention how old is the daughter/son.

I think that you cannot have a debit card issued on the account until the person is 15yrs old. But it will operate like a savings account in all other respects otherwise.