I Need A 2Nd Hand Gearbox. Ford Ranger

thaicbr

Hello all. I need to find a 2nd hand gearbox for a 2004 Ford Ranger 4 door truck. Or the alternative is to find a shop that repairs gearboxes.

My gearbox works but sometimes if in 2nd gear going over a bump or pothole it will jump out of gear.

My local 2nd hand place has quoted me 16000b which sounds a bit steep. Any help appreciated :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

CBR, Fords had the same problem in UK years ago, turned out to be the gearstick [total assembly] where it goes into the top of box, renew this, 17quid at the time and all was fine, you say it happens when you hit a bump or pothole, no doubt you take your foot off accelerator pedal, or is bounced off,

Try driving in 2nd on a flat road, on and off the pedal, if it jumps out, it possibly is a weak indent spring, [or broken] 2quid part,

If it doesnt grate or grind changing into 2nd, its not internal, which means the synchro hubs are working fine, but if this jumping keeps going on, they will deterioate over time, I dont think your box has a remote linkage, if it has, it might need ajusting or worn joints replacing, also a check round the engine and gearbox mountings might help..

• Like 1

CBR, Fords had the same problem in UK years ago, turned out to be the gearstick [total assembly] where it goes into the top of box, renew this, 17quid at the time and all was fine, you say it happens when you hit a bump or pothole, no doubt you take your foot off accelerator pedal, or is bounced off,

Try driving in 2nd on a flat road, on and off the pedal, if it jumps out, it possibly is a weak indent spring, [or broken] 2quid part,

If it doesnt grate or grind changing into 2nd, its not internal, which means the synchro hubs are working fine, but if this jumping keeps going on, they will deterioate over time, I dont think your box has a remote linkage, if it has, it might need ajusting or worn joints replacing, also a check round the engine and gearbox mountings might help..

Thanks for that. About a year ago after the garage replaced the engine mounts they said they adjusted something and the gearchange was like new ( it is not like that now. The gear lever does wobble a lot) . It changes gear fine. So it may well be that. Thanks I will take back to garage that did the mounts they should know.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Edited by thaicbr

All manual gearboxes have selector rods some are external and some internal,

if your gbox has external link selector rods then it could be an easy fix, if not and it has

only internal selectors then the gbox has to be removed to be fixed, hence more expensive.