Motorbike Accident Koh Samui

You are lucky ... very lucky. In Pattaya once I saw a farang running away from a motor bike shop, a Thai in hot pursuit with a bloody big knife chasing him. I expect you filled out all the third party insurance forms etc.. that you would do back in Falangland. Sorry but 800 B is cheap as chips.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest going to the courts over this blatant rip-off. You start by making a formal complaint to the police, and hire a lawyer.

Until the case gets settled your passport will be confiscated, and you will have to stay in-country.

These procedures are fairly uncomplicated. Over the next couple of years you will have to occasionally show up at one hearing or another with your lawyer (and translator if you are not fluent in Thai). In the meantime you are free to enjoy the beach life.

Let us know how it worked out for you (I'd guess around mid 2015)

-- or just pay the 800 Baht 'cause you actually dumped a rented bike on gravel..

You explained it very well. But missed one thing. If the police feel him or his girlfriend maybe at risk to leave the country the police may have to keep both of them in jail till the case is settled. This will mean no beach time.

Bah! Paid already.. Still i dont like getting scammed.... Bike wasnt even damaged but you guys are really helpful... Yes i am young 18.. Travelled a lot... Anytime i had a problem we always solved it like this... Suing and winning money in that way... Just wanted to know what the procedure would be for thailand... Thanks anyways

Ciao bellisimos

I'd suggest going to the courts over this blatant rip-off. You start by making a formal complaint to the police, and hire a lawyer.

Until the case gets settled your passport will be confiscated, and you will have to stay in-country.

These procedures are fairly uncomplicated. Over the next couple of years you will have to occasionally show up at one hearing or another with your lawyer (and translator if you are not fluent in Thai). In the meantime you are free to enjoy the beach life.

I wonder if anyone has used this ploy as a Visa dodge?

A way of staying in the Kingdom without doing the Visa runs?

Just asking like ... not suggesting like!

actually they don't confiscate your passport, you are a free man until the judgement, so the extension is provided by immigration(to be renewed every three months 1900baht) until the end of your case(the letter is written and signed by the judge).

Even if the damage was already there? I checked it right after the crash and was a really minor crash.. There was no damage whatsoever and the bike functioned perfectly.. 800 is still a rip off..

kind of hard to lose a bike on gravel without at least scratching some paint, don't you think?

Bah! Paid already.. Still i dont like getting scammed.... Bike wasnt even damaged but you guys are really helpful... Yes i am young 18.. Travelled a lot... Anytime i had a problem we always solved it like this... Suing and winning money in that way... Just wanted to know what the procedure would be for thailand... Thanks anyways

Ciao bellisimos

Wait, didn't you say the damage was already there? Now you are saying the bike wasn't even damaged?

I have to side with the Thai motorcycle rental on this one. 800THB sounds like a very reasonable price to pay to repair the bike. If you think this is outrageous, see what happens when you get a flat tire on a rental car in the US....and it doesn't matter how old and worn the tire is. Dropping the bike on gravel surely caused some damage.

It's tourist who refuse to own up to their responsibilities that now make it common for rental agents to keep the original passports throughout Thailand.

As an aside, regarding your girlfriend. If she has cuts, please make sure she gets them tended to well as infection can happen and can take hold here pretty quickly.

Antibiotics, dressing etc, be diligent.

Really 100% please listen to this advice..i had a severe infection from a large scrape/cut, which took hold in no time at all, landed me in hospital on four antibiotic drips a day, had to have the wound debrided so my dam_n foot wouldnt need to be cut off, and finally weeks later, a skin graft done. Im NOT exaggerating!

had something similar. no hot water, even clinic had to use bandages that stick to the wound and need to be changed several times a day, peeling skin off the wound each time preventing healing.

finally got a hotel with hot water, disregarded dr's orders and soaked the sucker, threw out supplies from dr and got non-stick bandages with neosporin rather then the iodine junk they were using, wound cleaned up nicely when I stopped stripping the skin off.

Thanks so much. I only wanted a few opinions... No one knows anything about legalities?

You probably shouldn't have been driving the bike in the first place as I doubt you or your girlfriend have a license to drive one case closed

Ciao bellisimos

Would it be perhaps you wanted to pay for your Thai holiday by suing? Maybe get a free trip.Paid for by a Thai motorcycle rental business.

Even if the damage was already there? I checked it right after the crash and was a really minor crash.. There was no damage whatsoever and the bike functioned perfectly.. 800 is still a rip off..

Which parts of the previous posts you dont understand ?????? Pay the bill and thats it..........If I was the owner of the bike and you would be making such fuss and wasting my time I would slap you........

The bike was old... At least a few years and had damage... I will pay the hiring fee... But 800 is steep for a 2 minute ride?

Can any laws prevent the payment... Im entirely sure the damage was already there and that they are just trying to rip us off...

What I would do is is hire the best lawyer in all Thailand at a very reasonable 27000baht an hour. Get him to fly to the Island your on and take it to the top. I would rather pay 300,000 in lawyer costs and go through the court system than pay 800baht for a bike my dumb friend crashed.Sheesh! tell the hotel som nom nah.Ok mai bpen rai kee nok.

Are you saying they will try and do something to me?

I have many people i know in thailand! At least 20 close friends.. And grandad lives across the border is an influential busisness man who might be able to help... He has been in many situations like this... I dont believe the thai people would do such a thing?

Yeah, influential buisiness man is going to get involved for 800 baht. Please don't say you are British.

Look lets all pass round the hat for these poor girls. I feel sorry for em. Hey girls dont go near the jet skis!

As an aside, regarding your girlfriend. If she has cuts, please make sure she gets them tended to well as infection can happen and can take hold here pretty quickly.

Antibiotics, dressing etc, be diligent.

Really 100% please listen to this advice..i had a severe infection from a large scrape/cut, which took hold in no time at all, landed me in hospital on four antibiotic drips a day, had to have the wound debrided so my dam_n foot wouldnt need to be cut off, and finally weeks later, a skin graft done. Im NOT exaggerating!

had something similar. no hot water, even clinic had to use bandages that stick to the wound and need to be changed several times a day, peeling skin off the wound each time preventing healing.

finally got a hotel with hot water, disregarded dr's orders and soaked the sucker, threw out supplies from dr and got non-stick bandages with neosporin rather then the iodine junk they were using, wound cleaned up nicely when I stopped stripping the skin off.

Hey jacktrip is that pic of your avatar you in the hospital?biggrin.png

In Bangkok 1000B for barfine! Now thats a rip offcheesy.gif

Ciao bellisimos

I think the next thing you should do is go to Pattaya and rent a Jet-Ski, but I'd strongly advise you to do some research beforehand.

There is much information on the internet about rental rip offs in Thailand involving both motorcycles and Jet-Skis. Doing a little research about your destination (and its scams) is a good idea before arriving.

Ciao bellisimos

He paid already., he was just after some cash I suppose.Wrong country young man, go & exercise your con jobs somewhere else.

I have many people i know in thailand! At least 20 close friends.. And grandad lives across the border is an influential busisness man who might be able to help... He has been in many situations like this... I dont believe the thai people would do such a thing?

laugh.png Are you for real! We are talking 800 baht!!! So you crash someones bike and want to ask an "influential businessman to help!!!!

He will probably tell you to act like a responsible adult,, that you damaged someones property, pay up and think yourself lucky they are being so reasonable

• Like 1

He has already paid, but I feel it might do this little man some good to listen to the fatherly advice he has plainly either:

a. ignored

b. never had

To the OP, I HAVE traveled the world. I have been to enough countries to have visited one for each 4 months of your life. I learned QUICKLY to believe I was out of my depth, act accordingly and think carefully when placed in "difficult" situations. This is why I am able to sit here and offer you advice. I STRONGLY doubt I am the only person like me that has posted on this thread for you.

The reason we all offered you advice was only because you asked for it. The only people to tell you to pursue your concept of justice were "taking the piss". When you are faced with the same advice coming at you again and again and again it is probably prudent to take it.

I'm pretty sure I speak for us all in hoping that you have thought about what has happened, learned from it and are now happily enjoying this country, as is your right.

Edited by draftvader
  • Like 1

since its thailand! Give them 800 and consider yourself luckie!

I agree with this, you are crazy if you want to go to court over a measly Bht800. If you did'nt notice or discuss the damage before you took the bike, just put it down to "learning in life" and then remember next time.

Perhaps "Grandad" will lend you the Bht 800, you sound rather desperate !

Obviously a windup from the start. Who in their right mind would think of making money after crashing a motorbike? :) Suing a motorbikecompany because his gf crashed the bike, that wouldnt work out in any country. It is impossible not getting any scratches if you have an accident on gravel so who cares if it had small damages before, gf made more and you have to pay. 800 bath isnt much to talk about if you are 18 either, just a windup.

since its thailand! Give them 800 and consider yourself luckie!

Yes of course, and I would say too, consider yourselves lucky, in fact the motorbike maybe was not new but if your girlfriend had fallen, a motor bike cannot fall without being slightly scratched, 800 baths Is nothing more than 20 € . Personally maybe I would have asked a little more whistling.gif

Troll alert coffee1.gif

Possible sick.gif