2013 Ninja 300 (For U.S. Market)

siampreggers

So it seems.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/08/epa-document-reveals-2013-kawasaki-ninja-300-636cc-zx-6r/

Kawasaki-Ninja-300-599x280.jpg

An EPA document listing motorcycle emission data for 2013 has revealed details of the new, American market-oriented Kawasaki Ninja 300 and a return to 636cc capacity for the 2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R.

That new Ninja is powered by a 296cc parallel twin developing 39bhp at 11,000rpm, a marked improvement from the current model’s 31bhp figure and significantly more than the bike’s closest rival, the 26bhp Honda CBR250R. The 300 does appear to be fuel-injected, also a welcome upgrade from the carb’d 250 that’s been sold in the US.

The new, 636cc ZX-6R will make 129bhp, which should make it the most powerful “600″ on sale next year.

We’ve previously seen spy shots of the 2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R (it looks like a facelift of the current model) and the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250 was just officially unveiled. It’s likely the 300 will ape that model’s styling, because there’s no tiered-licensing laws in the US, Kawasaki is free to punch the engine out for a little more power. Recently, the CBR250R has captured more than half the Ninja’s market share; it was previously the 5th best selling motorcycle of any type in the US.

The Ninja 400 (a sleeved 650 that somehow makes insurance sense in Canadia, meh) has been listed on this document in previous years, but hasn’t been brought to the US.

There’s also mention of the Versys 1000, but it’s also unclear if this means that model will make it to these shores.

You can download the full spreadsheet here. See anything else of interest?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're bumping up the CC and HP of the 250cc ninjette in some markets that would certainly be interesting. Or a whole new bike? Or just a mistake?

Looks like there could be a real old fashioned slugout between Honda and Kawa at the bottom end of the CC market.

Some quick searching on google and looks like this could be sold in the US and Europe instead of the Ninja 250. Don't know about the rest of Europe but doesn't the UK have a 33HP licensing law for beginners. Will just have to wait and see.

Certainly an interesting development in the CBR250/Ninja 250 War. :D

If it's the same bike as the 250 as reported I wonder how much the upgrade parts would cost.... probably the same as just buying a nearly new 650 I suppose.

So, Kawasaki has seen their sales of the Ninja 250 drop by more than 50% since the introduction of the Honda CBR 250...

This is (presumably, and I feel safe presuming in this instance) in a market (USA) where the CBR 250 enjoys no price advantage!

Sorry, gotta do it...

Told ya so. tongue.png

So, Kawasaki has seen their sales of the Ninja 250 drop by more than 50% since the introduction of the Honda CBR 250...

This is (presumably, and I feel safe presuming in this instance) in a market (USA) where the CBR 250 enjoys no price advantage!

Sorry, gotta do it...

Told ya so. tongue.png

Honda's CBR250R has certainly been a boot up Kawa's ass! :D

Next move Honda.

Sorry, gotta do it...

Told ya so. tongue.png

but cbr 250 in USA holds the advantage of being a new designed higher tech machine for the same price.

250 ninja does not have fuel injection there for example.

300 cc ninja is a good idea, 400 - er6n/f i guess- is a better idea. Hope to see them in Thailand.

Yes, the CBR250 is newer than the Ninja 250, but the Ninja 250 had a headstart of the CBR... always an excuse?

I think people should just realize that Honda knows what they are doing, their bikes might not be to all peoples taste, but they do have something that everyone could ride... Kawasaki is trying hard to outdo big brother, and who knows, maybe one day they will.

I think that in Norway it is a limit on 33Hp as well (they have a low Hp for starters)- but I think that the icecicle I call home is just to small of a market for them to care... England, Europe in general??? Not sure- those Yanks like their small sportsbikes...

Having owned the CBR250, I have to say that I am not surprised at all that it is stealing the market from the (Old school looking Ninja)- and lets face it, most people have to admit that the CBR is well built with new technology. The MPG is also amongst the best, so c'mon Kawa/Yama/suki... you can all do better...

Will we get them here???

Will we get them here???

Actually that's an interesting point. I automatically presumed that the new 2013 ninja 250 announced and unveiled in Indonesia a month ago would be the same for Thailand.

Has anyone seen any promo for the 2013 Kawa range showing that they'll sell the 2013 250?

Not here anyway.

Wouldn't that add a bit of spice to market, the ninja 300 at say 170k. :D

I'd like to point out that the highest HP I've see from dynos on the Ninja 250 has been mid 26's...and that's on the carb'd model. Assuming that there's a similar 'exageration' from this rumoured Ninja 300, there's some 33 RWHP. Is that enough to squeak in under the limit for those countries with tiered liscensing?

As far as upgrade pricing goes; you'd be looking at minimum new ecu, sleeves and pistons. I'd assume that Kawasaki would continue to go oversquare and leave the well proven bottom end alone. However, it could also require new heads, valves, cams, injectors, airbox, etc.

Edited by dave_boo

There's been a thread over on Kawiforums about this for a week or so now.

Seems it's nothing more than BS, the pics of the 300cc Ninja are poor Photoshop attempts with nothing much more than the addition of the headlights for the current ZX6R morphed on to it.

300cc is a possibility but it's going to be another 3 years (typical make over intervals) for Kawasaki to consider bumping up the cc.

There's been a thread over on Kawiforums about this for a week or so now.

Seems it's nothing more than BS, the pics of the 300cc Ninja are poor Photoshop attempts with nothing much more than the addition of the headlights for the current ZX6R morphed on to it.

There aren't any pics of it, besides the photoshop from some guy on the Kawiforums last week.

Unless the EPA document is a photoshop or fake....

http://www.epa.gov/o.../13-mc-ctrr.xls

Edited by siampreggers

Seems odd that it has 50cc more yet produces the same bhp as the 250cc model...

I can understand sleeving the 650 down to a 400 to meet regulations in some countries but to increase a bikes cylinder capacity and not to take advantage of it in anyway makes very little sense to me.... Yeah it should have a little more torque but for the bike to have the exact same BHP as the current 250 model is causing me to think it might be a misprint... But who knows, maybe there is a country out there that requires such a bike to have a minimum of 300cc (296cc) despite the fact the 250KLX is on that same sheet

And then i found this... http://www.gaadi.com...aunched-in-2013 which completely contradicts the power figures on the spec sheet (assuming both are using the same power conversion and point of measurement.

I understand it's expensive to own such a bike in India but to market a Ninja 300R and a Ninja 400R, with only 4BHP between the two is a little insane.....

Something smells fishy with this whole thing, lots of speculation but all is see is the New 2013 Ninja250 which has recently been released in Indonesia, plenty of Youtube videos and writes ups about that model which is only 2-3 weeks old now.

Edited by karlos

Remember that those figures thrown around are what the manufacturers rate them for. Standard driveline loss of ~12% sure doesn't make up the difference between multiple dyno runs and what the dealers want to trumpet.

I'd assume the HP difference between the 300 and 400 are going to be more along the lines of 6+ HP...which still makes the 400 version a pretty bad buy unless you have to look like the ER-6* folks.

if its really a 300cc....and if the stroke is kept the same, the bore size would only have to increase to 67.616mm from 62mm. with a redesigned head and higher compression piston in an effort to match the low end of the cbr 250...it looks feasible.

The top end of course will continue to walk away from the cbr 250 like it always has. If the rumors about a 400cc from Honda is true...a Ninja 300 would be just that, a Ninja to kill the competition from the 250cc-400cc market.

If a 300 comes out sign me up when i get back, regardless the new Ninja looks sexy as hell.w00t.gif

If the rumors about a 400cc from Honda is true...a Ninja 300 would be just that, a Ninja to kill the competition from the 250cc-400cc market.

It would be interesting. If Honda do come out with a fuel efficient mini-sports tourer 400/500 in the same guise as the CBR250. Lower revving and fuel efficient.

If the N300 is released here Honda have to do something to combat the N300 and Er-6's.

People found it odd that the new N250's release and promo was all done in Indonesia instead of Thailand... perhaps we have our answer why.

there's a good PDF fact/spec sheet on that UK kawa site linked above.

They claim 39HP, how much HP did the 08-12 Ninja250 lose between the crank and the rear wheel? Wasn't it about 20-25%?

Where do the UK's 33HP learner regulations take their reading from, RWHP?

I suspect it will be a lot less than the high 30's in real world HP, unfortunately.

Edited by siampreggers

Australia can now be added along with Canada and the UK as officially getting the Ninja 300.

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/ninja300/

Edit:

And the rest of Europe.

http://www.kawasaki.eu/Ninja300

So that's officially the UK and Europe, Australia and Canada. It's on the US EPA sheets but they're officially announcing their 2013 on Sept. 9th.

With the refusal to announce the 2013 N250 would be released in Thailand when it was announced for Indo I think it's looking good for Thailand. smile.png

Kawa Australia's official vid.

Edited by siampreggers

there's a good PDF fact/spec sheet on that UK kawa site linked above.

They claim 39HP, how much HP did the 08-12 Ninja250 lose between the crank and the rear wheel? Wasn't it about 20-25%?

Where do the UK's 33HP learner regulations take their reading from, RWHP?

I suspect it will be a lot less than the high 30's in real world HP, unfortunately.

It even has a slipper clutch!

Primary Reduction Ratio 3.087 (71/23)........... 3.087 (71/23)

Gear Ratio: 1st 2.714 (38/14)...........2.600 (39/15)

Gear Ratio: 2nd 1.789 (34/19).........,.1.789 (34/19)

Gear Ratio: 3rd 1.409 (31/22)...........1.409 (31/22)

Gear Ratio: 4th 1.160 (29/25)...........1.160 (29/25)

Gear Ratio: 5th 1.000 (27/27)...........1.000 (27/27)

Gear Ratio: 6th .857 (24/28).............0.893 (25/28)

Final Reduction Ratio 3.000 (42/14)...........3.214 (45/14)

weight

172 kg 170 kg

fuel

17 liters 18 liters (some sites say 17 liters)

wheelbase

1405mm 1400mm

rear tire

140/70-17 130/70-17

seat height

785mm 775mm

rake

27degrees 26degrees

trail

93mm 82mm

THROTTLE BODY 32MM (x2)......vs......28MM (x2) ( w00t.gif )

STROKE 49MM.............vs...........41.2MMM ( w00t.gif x 2 = shock1.gif )

Looks very promising indeed !

Taken from:

2013 http://www.kawasaki..../1518/Ninja-300

2012 http://www.kawasaki....ons.aspx?id=553

CBR 250...... sorry.gif

Edited by KRS1

It’s official, this new Kawasaki Ninja 300 looks just like the new Ninja 250, but has one huge change under its newly-faired skin: an increase in stroke from 41.2 to 49mm ups engine capacity to 296cc. That means power grows from 31 to 39bhp and torque from 16 to 20lb/ft. There’s also ABS and even a slipper clutch, so not only will this new bike be faster, but it’ll be safer and easier to ride too.

Ninja-300-dyno.jpg

Full 24 page official PDF on the Ninja 300 here:

http://issuu.com/hellforleather/docs/ninja_20300

I'm starting to think this is going to be a CBR 250 killer across the powerband.

Given that it's listed as having 50% more HP than the CBR250 I'd be surprised if it wasn't. biggrin.png

....plus now there's a fuel guage, clock and dual trip inidcators!