Anglo Singapore School Is Deliberately Starving Two Puppies To Death

MrMarquis

I live over the road from the new campus of the Anglo Singapore School ( http://anglosingapore.ac.th/ ) on Sukhumvit 64, which has been being built for the last few months. There are two extremely cute little puppies (and their mum) that have lived in a little burrow underneath an empty building on the edge of the carpark for the whole time. They are timid but completely harmless and I've never seen them causing a problem with humans or traffic; a lot of the locals also engage with them. The school is now basically finished and the staff have taken to blocking up the entrance to the puppies' den - with the puppies still inside! This has happened for four or five days in a row now; previously some enterprising locals had taken to removing the blockage, but now the site is full of workmen and staff during the day, and the gates are shut and locked at night with a security guard on duty. Right now I can hear the puppies barking inside the blocked up den, so they're definitely there right now and have been all day.

If no one removes the boards then they're obviously going to either starve to death or die of thirst / heat exhaustion, since they have no access to water in the tiny den. Clearly the dogs will have to be moved on at some point, but the logical thing would be to lure them out and then block up the hole permanently so they are forced to find a new place. Either that, or kill them humanely - but shutting them away to die a slow and agonizing death is completely screwed up. What is worse is that everyone who goes to or works at the school knows perfectly well that they're there (they've been there for months, and you can hear them barking from inside the den quite clearly even from my place across the street) but they all walk past and ignore it, complicit in the slow and painful death that these cute and lovely puppies are going to suffer.

What can I do about this? I've already emailed the school and predictably received no response. Unfortunately I don't really speak Thai so I'm not in a position to speak the grounds staff. I've emailed Soi Dog Rescue and a couple of other outfits but didn't get a response from them either, although one place replied that, "We're farangs too and so there's nothing we can do about it."

If any other animal lovers feel moved to send the Anglo Singapore School a message of protest, you can email them at http://anglosingapor....th/contact-us/

I fully agee with the suggestion of 2 other posters to act immediately and bribe the guard with a couple of hundred Baht and remove the dogs. It'd be a bribe that finally serves a good cause. Writing letters to animal rescue organizations will take time until you get a response and the puppies will likely be dead by then.

If you want to, PM me and perhaps we can do something together (I speak Thai).

sysardman is right. Please give the guard a few hundred baht and bring something tasty to lure the dogs out and block the hole yourself, so they can't go back in.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the likes - I didn't know so many people cared. I would have liked to help the OP but as I am at the other end of the country to him I'm afraid it's not practical. I am however doing my little bit up here and our back yard is starting to look like the annexe of CM Zoo.w00t.gif

• Like 1

sysardman is right. Please give the guard a few hundred baht and bring something tasty to lure the dogs out and block the hole yourself, so they can't go back in.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the likes - I didn't know so many people cared. I would have liked to help the OP but as I am at the other end of the country to him I'm afraid it's not practical. I am however doing my little bit up here and our back yard is starting to look like the annexe of CM Zoo.w00t.gif

The streets where I live always look liken a dogs day out, we take our dog "Lady" for a walk in the mornings and around 6pm, we carry at least two big sticks for protection, pathetic really.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

As an update, the hole is unblocked today but there's no sign of the dogs, so perhaps the situation has already been resolved one way or another. If they reappear later on then I'll try to time it after the workmen have left but before the security guard locks the gate, and block the hole when the dogs are outside and / or try to flick the night security guard some baht.

The reason I was wary of just marching down there and letting the dogs out myself is that experience has shown that it's not always a good idea to be an interfering farang (who only speaks very basic Thai) who is perceived to be meddling in Thai affairs. There are a large bunch of construction workers down there and the school also appears to have the police somewhat on side, because there were a few policemen lurking around during the opening period. I can understand the school's point of view, in that they can't really have soi dogs running around while their upmarket school is in session, but I just disagree with the method used. However I'm sure a few baht would smooth things out if I can get the right person.

I also finally received a reply email from the school very late last night, auspiciously timed a few hours after I posted this thread. They said it must have been the construction workers who shut up the dogs, that the school were animal lovers too and to inform the school if I saw the dogs were shut away again. So perhaps Anglo Singapore International School isn't so bad after all.

Edited by MrMarquis

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

As an update, the hole is unblocked today but there's no sign of the dogs, so perhaps the situation has already been resolved one way or another. If they reappear later on then I'll try to time it after the workmen have left but before the security guard locks the gate, and block the hole when the dogs are outside and / or try to flick the night security guard some baht.

The reason I was wary of just marching down there and letting the dogs out myself is that experience has shown that it's not always a good idea to be an interfering farang (who only speaks very basic Thai) who is perceived to be meddling in Thai affairs. There are a large bunch of construction workers down there and the school also appears to have the police somewhat on side, because there were a few policemen lurking around during the opening period. I can understand the school's point of view, in that they can't really have soi dogs running around while their upmarket school is in session, but I just disagree with the method used. However I'm sure a few baht would smooth things out if I can get the right person.

I also finally received a reply email from the school very late last night, auspiciously timed a few hours after I posted this thread. They said it must have been the construction workers who shut up the dogs, that the school were animal lovers too and to inform the school if I saw the dogs were shut away again. So perhaps Anglo Singapore International School isn't so bad after all.

All's well that ends well - you don't want a load of chickens do you?laugh.png

If the purpose here is to genuinely care for the poor dogs, your residence is just across the campus you should simplyapproached the school office staff and bring to their attention about your concern. Anglo is an international school and its staff are professional enough to receive you and address your concern immediately.

Therefore, your assumption that we received your email and unsurprisingly no response from our part was an imprudent justification for this article to be written in order to draw a crowd to protest as a support to your cause.

It is equally inhumane to stand by watching those animals and taking such a long way to solve the problem if the real concern is about saving those animals.

I hope we can both agree that this concern can be resolved in a more diplomatic and effecient way if we work together and seek the assistance of relevant government agency to relocate the poor animals.

Edited by soundman
Font.

Cruelty to animals is terrible, but the title and article appear to be untrue.

I assume they have libel laws here in Thailand, in most of the world the author and the publisher could be open to legal action. As all has been resolved I would suggest this is deleted.

I assume they have libel laws here in Thailand, in most of the world the author and the publisher could be open to legal action. As all has been resolved I would suggest this is deleted.

I think the libel laws are very loosely applied here otherwise 95% of ThaiVisa posts would be deletedbiggrin.png

I think the libel laws are very loosely applied here otherwise 95% of ThaiVisa posts would be deletedbiggrin.png

Glad it all worked out. if you don't believe I'm doing my bit here's a photo of my back yard:

post-59105-0-55726000-1346484935_thumb.j

The dogs and cats didn't stay for the photoshootlaugh.png

PS I don't keep chickens - none of those are mine

Unfortunately the situation hasn't been resolved - the puppies are still there and are routinely locked away in their den all day with blocks of concrete. However some locals have been coming around in the evenings and letting them out, and the security guard seems to be OK with letting them run around at night playing and chasing rats.

I actually saw the ground staff members (who wear distinctive coloured polo shirts) blocking up the hole one morning, supervised by a more senior looking guy in a shirt and tie, so it would appear that either there are some communication issues at the school, or that they have no actual intention of resolving the situation. I'd also point out that I didn't receive a reply from the school for several days, conspicuously not until after this thread was posted. An earlier reply, from someone with one post on the board and who appears to be speaking for the school, shows that they are aware of this thread. It's unfortunate that this had to be written up on a public board like this, but I'm skeptical that any meaningful action would have been taken otherwise. You can debate the semantics of "deliberate" all you want, but the fact is that I can hear the puppies barking in their den from across the street, and there are literally dozens of staff, students and parents who walk past a couple of feet away from their den every day.

Now I'm not sure that just blocking up the hole is the best solution - the puppies have lived there their whole lives. I'm not sure that they wouldn't just wander around in the carpark if the entrance to their little house was permanently blocked up, which could possibly result in them being killed or chased off into the traffic of Sukhumvit Rd. As soon as I can find a suitable place to relocate them, I'm going to buy a big cage, trap them with meat as a lure, and take them some place else where they can have a shot at a better life.

I'm unhappy to say that the matter has been resolved.

I didn't manage to find a place to relocate the dogs in time, and I had to go out of town for a few days. I got home late last night and collapsed into bed, only to be woken at about 1 am by the most God awful howling. I look out the window to see one of the grounds staff (easily recognizable by the distinctive staff polo shirt) beating one of the puppies to death with a stick at the entrance to the den. From what I could see from across the street, he was hammering up and down on the dog with the point of his stick; then he blocked up the den, presumably with the dog still inside, either dead or mortally wounded. In the meantime the other puppy had gotten free, so the worker jumped on his motorbike and chased it around the carpark, taking swings at the terrified dog with his club like he was playing horseback polo.

I threw on my clothes and ran down there, just in time to see that the puppy had tried to push its way through the gate, but its hindquarters had gotten stuck. The worker was mercilessly beating it on its hips and backside with his club until the puppy finally managed to get free and half-run, half-limp down busy and hostile Sukhumvit Rd. I confronted the guy through the gate and was told in no uncertain terms to "bpai leoi" with the raised stick banged against the gate for emphasis - but unfortunately by that stage it was too late to do anything anyway.

So now instead of simply relocating the dogs in a civilized manner, we have one puppy presumed dead and one injured and on the run. Well done, Anglo Singapore International School Bangkok - you're definitely a bastion of professionalism and humanity. sad.png

Edited by MrMarquis

I'm unhappy to say that the matter has been resolved.

I didn't manage to find a place to relocate the dogs in time, and I had to go out of town for a few days. I got home late last night and collapsed into bed, only to be woken at about 1 am by the most God awful howling. I look out the window to see one of the grounds staff (easily recognizable by the distinctive staff polo shirt) beating one of the puppies to death with a stick at the entrance to the den. From what I could see from across the street, he was hammering up and down on the dog with the point of his stick; then he blocked up the den, presumably with the dog still inside, either dead or mortally wounded. In the meantime the other puppy had gotten free, so the worker jumped on his motorbike and chased it around the carpark, taking swings at the terrified dog with his club like he was playing horseback polo.

I threw on my clothes and ran down there, just in time to see that the puppy had tried to push its way through the gate, but its hindquarters had gotten stuck. The worker was mercilessly beating it on its hips and backside with his club until the puppy finally managed to get free and half-run, half-limp down busy and hostile Sukhumvit Rd. I confronted the guy through the gate and was told in no uncertain terms to "bpai leoi" with the raised stick banged against the gate for emphasis - but unfortunately by that stage it was too late to do anything anyway.

So now instead of simply relocating the dogs in a civilized manner, we have one puppy presumed dead and one injured and on the run. Well done, Anglo Singapore International School Bangkok - you're definitely a bastion of professionalism and humanity. sad.png

There's only one person to blame here and that is you! we all warned you to act fast and get them out. Even if you had turned them out to be soi dogs at least they may have stood a chance on the streets. Many dogs seem to manage this way and 2 more, although not ideal, would have been better than the end they got.

Yes I do feel rather sick with guilt about the whole thing. However unfortuately just luring them out and then blocking up the hole wasn't really an option, because various other locals were coming around every day and unblocking it again to feed the dogs - I'm not the only person in the neighbourhood who was concerned about the puppies' welfare. The dogs would have just waited around for feeding time and then gone straight back into the den after it was unblocked, only to be shut inside again the next morning by the grounds staff.

I'm away from BKK for a good part of each week, so I contacted every animal welfare organization I could find on the web and on Facebook and they all either didn't reply or told me they couldn't help - but now I definitely regret not just capturing them and releasing them at a public park or something.

But the real blame most firmly lies with the school and the guy wielding the stick - I certainly wasn't the one trying to beat the dogs to death. Anglo Singapore International School Bangkok is an expensive private school and they certainly have the resources to get a couple of stray dogs removed, but for whatever reason they chose not to do so. The charitable explanation would be that the staff member acted of his own accord; the uncharitable explanation would be that Anglo Singapore School instructed their staff member to kill the dogs in the middle of the night when they thought no one would notice.

A thing that was on my mind is how does Mr/Ms 54321 know that the title and article is untrue - if you are not just a 13 post troll please explain!!!

If the purpose here is to genuinely care for the poor dogs, your residence is just across the campus you should simplyapproached the school office staff and bring to their attention about your concern. Anglo is an international school and its staff are professional enough to receive you and address your concern immediately.

Therefore, your assumption that we received your email and unsurprisingly no response from our part was an imprudent justification for this article to be written in order to draw a crowd to protest as a support to your cause.

It is equally inhumane to stand by watching those animals and taking such a long way to solve the problem if the real concern is about saving those animals.

I hope we can both agree that this concern can be resolved in a more diplomatic and effecient way if we work together and seek the assistance of relevant government agency to relocate the poor animals.

@Elvin we await your response too to these allegations!

Yes I do feel rather sick with guilt about the whole thing. However unfortuately just luring them out and then blocking up the hole wasn't really an option, because various other locals were coming around every day and unblocking it again to feed the dogs - I'm not the only person in the neighbourhood who was concerned about the puppies' welfare. The dogs would have just waited around for feeding time and then gone straight back into the den after it was unblocked, only to be shut inside again the next morning by the grounds staff.

I'm away from BKK for a good part of each week, so I contacted every animal welfare organization I could find on the web and on Facebook and they all either didn't reply or told me they couldn't help - but now I definitely regret not just capturing them and releasing them at a public park or something.

But the real blame most firmly lies with the school and the guy wielding the stick - I certainly wasn't the one trying to beat the dogs to death. Anglo Singapore International School Bangkok is an expensive private school and they certainly have the resources to get a couple of stray dogs removed, but for whatever reason they chose not to do so. The charitable explanation would be that the staff member acted of his own accord; the uncharitable explanation would be that Anglo Singapore School instructed their staff member to kill the dogs in the middle of the night when they thought no one would notice.

I don't suppose you had the foresight to take photos of this beating? even better a video on Youtube would have gone viral. At the moment it's your word against theirs.sad.png

Edited by sysardman