The New Requirement For A B1 (Cefr) English Language Test - For Uk Ilr Visa - ((October 2013)) -

From October 2013, when applying for indefinate leave to remain, to stay in the uk, it will be a requirement to pass an English language test to the level of B1, and to also pass life in the UK test. From this date they will not accept an ESOL course with citizenship (instead of the life in uk test)

I phoned the Boarder Agency and they confirmed the current list of test providers in the UK is still valid, and they have no plans to change it. This doesnt mean they wont change it of course.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

I phoned the University of Cambridge (ESOL exams), and they confirmed to me that to obtain the English language test B1 (CEFR), you can take an ESOL skills for life course at entry level 3.

this is the Cambridge ESOL link to CEFR http://www.cambridgeesol.org/about/standards/cefr.html

here you can see that B1 is equivilant to ESOL entry level 3 http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/sfl/index.html#tab3

here you can find your local test center http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/search.do?source=candidateexam&country=GB-ENG&qualification=ALL&=Search

And i believe that to revise and prepare yourself for the life in uk test, you can also do an ESOL course with citizenship. (as well as reading the books). This isnt necessary, and wont fully prepare you, but maybe worth looking at. I guess you will need a higher level of English (B1) to understand life in uk test.

We have been a little "unlucky" with this new B1 requirement. My Mrs has been here since November last year and will just miss out on applying for ILR before the new rule comes in next year. She will have to apply under the new B1 requirement. We know the ESOL will not be accepted for her ILR application when the time comes, but we have decided to still enrole on the course to bring her up to the B1 standard as other methods we've tried on our own have not been successful. The course my wife will do is a 33 week, 10.5hr a week course which should bring her standard up sufficiently enough to pass the new B1 test as well as help with the LITUK study materials.

We have been a little "unlucky" with this new B1 requirement. My Mrs has been here since November last year and will just miss out on applying for ILR before the new rule comes in next year. She will have to apply under the new B1 requirement. We know the ESOL will not be accepted for her ILR application when the time comes, but we have decided to still enrole on the course to bring her up to the B1 standard as other methods we've tried on our own have not been successful. The course my wife will do is a 33 week, 10.5hr a week course which should bring her standard up sufficiently enough to pass the new B1 test as well as help with the LITUK study materials.

my wife and i are in the same situation. she arrived last november. I was planning on enrolling my wife on an ESOL course with citizenship in January, but to be safe, i wont do that now.

I asked an ESOL teacher today if an English language course with citizenship will be good preparation for life in uk test. she said no. while any English language course will help laguage skills the citizenship part wont be much help.

My wife was assessed for the ''with citizenship'' course as entry level 2. And so, for the ''skills for life'' - 3 month course - she will have to climb to English entry level 3.

The problem comes when she revises for the life in uk test - as that is English language level 1 and 2.

Edited by kunash

Kunash

is the entry level 3 Esol Skills for life an actual course you can study, or is just an exam you can take that will meet the B1 requirement?

if you look at my link for test centers you will see your local exam centre. if it says '''internal centre'' i believe you have to take the full (3 month) course at that test center. If it says ''open centre'' then you can take just the exam part there.

Question - if an applicant achieves a B1 pass in English when applying for the settlement visa is that pass still valid when he/she applies for ILR 5 years later (and having lived in the UK for those years)?

Thanks

Like most exams there is no expiry date on the certificates - once you have reached B1 you have done what is required. I assume that B1 level is only required in speaking and listening, not reading and writing!

Thanks guys - Romfordboy you are right that BULATS (which is where my fiancee got her B1 in Listening) does have a 2 year validity but I think this means that they (BULATS) guarantee that level for 2 years. There are many reasons that people do BULATS tests not just UK spouse visas. I also asked the question of Kevin Cullen the MD of Vantage running BULATS tests and he didnt know.

I would have thought that if you achieve B1 before going to UK and then live there for 5 years then you really should not need retesting.......but who knows?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

just phoned ukba, and they still have no idea when these new requirements are going to come in. all they know is october 2013. this is really frustrating for me and my wife. my wife entered the uk on 1/11/11, and so we would be applying for indef leave to remain on about 5/10/13 - so under the new rules. (though she entered the uk under the old rules.)

anyone else having the same problems?

the b1 test she will need is speaking and listening. my wife should justbe able to pass this i hope. (her reading and writing is a lot poorer )

and she will have no chance to pass life in uk, unless she just hit lucky with her answers. she can barely read entry level 2 - and life in uk, is level 1/2. so feeling a bit disheartened now.

just phoned ukba, and they still have no idea when these new requirements are going to come in. all they know is october 2013. this is really frustrating for me and my wife. my wife entered the uk on 1/11/11, and so we would be applying for indef leave to remain on about 5/10/13 - so under the new rules. (though she entered the uk under the old rules.)

anyone else having the same problems?

the b1 test she will need is speaking and listening. my wife should justbe able to pass this i hope. (her reading and writing is a lot poorer )

and she will have no chance to pass life in uk, unless she just hit lucky with her answers. she can barely read entry level 2 - and life in uk, is level 1/2. so feeling a bit disheartened now.

If the tests are like the old driving theory tests you could just practice tests from the BANK - get the wife to remember the first and last sentence and the correct answer. Just an idea! :)

• 2 months later...

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but it seemed the most logical place to ask the question.

Mrs KD will apply for ILR later this year. She passed the language requirement at B1 level in Thailand when applying for the original settlement visa. However this qualification will be two and a half years old when she applies for ILR. Will this be enough, or will she need to sit a new exam?

Later this year; is that before October?

If before then an ESOL with citizenship course or a LitUK test pass is sufficient.

From October she will need to have passed the LitUK test and achieved at least B1 in speaking and listening, but as I understand it her previous B1 pass will still be valid.

To be sure you may want to contact the UKBA and ask.

Later this year; is that before October?

If before then an ESOL with citizenship course or a LitUK test pass is sufficient.

From October she will need to have passed the LitUK test and achieved at least B1 in speaking and listening, but as I understand it her previous B1 pass will still be valid.

To be sure you may want to contact the UKBA and ask.

It will be November, so LitUK and B1. I will try a question to UKBA and report back the answer (if any...)