Want To Sell Old Car

MANICMINER

Tents will give you quick cash, but probably not the highest price; however it is worth it to look around and take to see what they offer.

Trade in MAY prove higher than a tent, but that's a bit hit and miss.

Selling yourself is time intensive and you may get a higher price, need to be a Thai speaker though or else the market is tiny; try www.taladrod.com I just advertised and have some experience selling a car on that myself recently; dead simple but like I said you will need Thai fluency.

Check out one2car.com and taladrod to see what the current prices are. The good news is that Hondas and Toyotas hold their values very well in Thailand.

In the end the car I am selling was bought by one of the mechanics at Toyota (sale is pending) as I can't be bothered to spend an extra 2 weeks frigging around with ads online etc to earn a bit more. Still higher than what a tent would pay though (but not by much).

When we bought our VIOS, we asked the dealer about a trade in. They weren't interested because the old car was a Mitsu, and they only took Toyotas on trade. They recommended a particular tent to us. When we went there and they learned that we had been referred by the Toyota dealer who obviously sent them a lot of referrals, they gave us a great price for the Mitsu- more than I was expecting. They even guaranteed the price for a week whilst we were awaiting delivery of the new car. When the VIOS was ready to pick up, we stopped at the tent on the way to drop the old car and collect a fistful of cash. It worked out really great in that we were only without wheels for about 30 mins.

So- try the dealer where you will buy the new car for a trade in, and / or ask them if they can recommend a tent. They probably have a "relationship" with one somewhere.

• Like 1

"Tents" are the places you see everywhere.......semi-permanent structures (looking like ........ well.....tents) with loads of 2nd hand cars and motorbikes.

When I bought my Civic, a few weeks ago, I did have a Vios on offer. The Honda dealer came up with a tent-guy who offered THB 210,000 (7 yo, 380,000 km, 1.5 manual).

I decided to sell the car private and ended up with THB 255,000.

In the Thai market, we refer to 2nd hand car yards fairly universally as 'tents' due to the high likelihood of tent style covers around the car yard. เต๊นท์ in Thai which is an english translation of tent (sound is similar to Dten with a high tone)

So to sell, the OP has the main 3 options of

- going to a dealer and doing a trade (works best if you are trading in on the same brand, and also you bought at that exact yard, different yards even under the same brand are owned by different people e.g. Millenium Auto and Barcelona both sell BMW, but have no relationship to eachother; K Motors and Toyota Mahanakhon; Benz Tonglor and Benz Thonburi etc et)

- selling him/herself using taladrod.com, thaisecondhand.com Thaivisa.com etc - highest price, most hassle

- selling to a tent - price similar higher/lower than trade but quick cash