Questions About Renewing Usa Passport In Thailand

livinthailandos

I have some questions to us citizens who have renewed your us passport from the US embassy here in thailand.

1. Anything I should know about before renewing my passport, I've already read through the us embassy requirements and what takes place?

2. How long does it take to get your new passport

3. I don't live in bangkok, my house is here in phuket, but I wanted to know if I don't have a passport do I have to stay in bangkok and wait for my passport to come back, I ask because I'm just thinking about how I am going to come back to phuket as I assume the airlines won't let my fly without a passport? The only other option is to come back by bus I assume?

Last thing I will note is I am here in thailand on a non immigrant b visa, that I get from my employer every year.

Any comments, suggestions, or advise is welcome

First thing is make a reservation with the U.S. Embassy to renew your passport - you are no longer able to walk-in without a reservation.

Once you complete the renewal application, submit your photos and pay the fee - you will keep your current passport until the new one is received.

I believe you have the option of having the new passport mailed back to you - I live in Bangkok and picked mine up.

If you travel often in SE Asia and your passport is filled with Visa stamps, it may be best that you request a new passport with extra pages -

If you want the new passport returned to you by mail you have to surrender your current passport as they will cancel it and return it along with your new passport. If you pick up your new passport at the embassy you can retain your current passport as they will cancel it when you go to the embassy to obtain the new one.

I applied for a new passport on the afternoon of 06 June at one of the Pattaya outreach visits. On 13 June I received an email notifying me that my new passport was ready to be picked up at the embassy. Date of issue was 08 June.

-redwood

• Like 1