Got A Fake 1000 Bill From An Atm At Scb Sukhumvit

Quite scary, was getting some cash from an ATM at SCB Sukhumvit around 47/49 or so. Actually withdraw 3 x 20k and when I got home I counted the bills just to be sure it was really 60 bills and what should I say while counting one bill looked different and when I looked more in detail I saw that it was a fake bill. It actually has several differences, while many other details were there.

The watermark is there, the magnetic stripe on the rear is there as well. Which was not existent is the metallic stripe on the front left side. And it has several other differences.

See attached pictures. The fake one is above the real one below.

post-139059-0-68594100-1347255891_thumb.

post-139059-0-14713300-1347255863_thumb.

I am just happy it was not more. Not sure if the bank would change it to a real bank note...

In the meantime I am just keeping it for fun...

wow, glad i dont bank there... good luck in trying to return it

One bad note slipping by is hardly an indictment of SCB!

To the OP, I would be very careful as to who you show this to and what you do with it. Thais take it rather serious when foreigners are in possession of such notes. You have no way to prove it came from that ATM, and no doubt you will be to blame. I would not open myself up to the possible criminal charges that would come your way. If you bring that to the bank and they call the police, they will be looking at YOU not the bank, especially since you did not call immediately. If it were me, I would dispose of it post-haste.

• Like 2

To the OP, I would be very careful as to who you show this to and what you do with it. Thais take it rather serious when foreigners are in possession of such notes. You have no way to prove it came from that ATM, and no doubt you will be to blame. I would not open myself up to the possible criminal charges that would come your way. If you bring that to the bank and they call the police, they will be looking at YOU not the bank, especially since you did not call immediately. If it were me, I would dispose of it post-haste.

I disagree, if you cant trust a bank for not passing dodgy notes, who can you trust? ;) I totally agree with you on the 2nd bit.

• Like 1

I collect or used to, old banknotes. It is possible that this is simply a really old note. The sigs do differ. Th scan not so great so notes look abt same quality. Look to the quality of the printing. Also, the printing should be raised and inks multicolored.

OK, so I had another look. They are very different esp that the one lacks security features. A cfb would perhaps have them, but done poorly. Thete are also whole features not present in one than other and finally, in areas eholly different inks are used. If its bad - its horrible.

Edited by bangkokburning

Well it should be possible to check if this is simply an older version of the 1000 b note.

Some people keep big notes hidden for years so it can still look new even if very old.

yes, just got the info, it is indeed an old note from 1999 (still looks brandnew). Are those old notes are still valid?

So sorry for the wrong info, it seems to be a real bank note not a fake bill.

Well it should be possible to check if this is simply an older version of the 1000 b note.

Some people keep big notes hidden for years so it can still look new even if very old.

yes, just got the info, it is indeed an old note from 1999 (still looks brandnew). Are those old notes are still valid?

So sorry for the wrong info, it seems to be a real bank note not a fake bill.

Old not or note, I commend you OP for your attitude on receiving what you thought was a fake note.

So many other posters would have gone off on a rant about this could only happen in Thailand etc etc etc.

Your philosophical attitude to the situation was a refreshing reading change

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Rubbish and dont be such as Woosh........

By the same token how do these "other" people know he didn't get it from the ATM....?? You have been watching too many CSI and Police shows !!

Grow some backbone buddy !! I'd spend it in the first bar I came to !

Every Bank Must Record The serial number of The Money in The atm in there Computer System! A infrared money check mashine coasts around 20€ , but some say the fakes are so good in the meantime that most of money checking mashine don't detect the copy, in there automated process!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Every Bank Must Record The serial number of The Money in The atm in there Computer System! A infrared money check mashine coasts around 20€ , but some say the fakes are so good in the meantime that most of money checking mashine don't detect the copy, in there automated process!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I worked in a bank in America, part of my responsiblity was to help fill the ATM and I do not recall a single instance where we recorded serial numbers. Most money that is given out through the bank is simply cash deposited by others into that particular branch, the tellers should be able to detect fake notes but when a business deposits large amounts of cash it is simply run through a counting machine (which does not inspect the quality of a bill) and fake notes slip through the system from time to time.

Not sure of the rules here, but back in the States we (bank employees) were instucted to call the police and document the person who turned in the bill (whether they were tryingto deposit or honestly turning over the bill). I may be overly cautious, but I would give it to a Thai person to turn into the bank, if its real they will let you know, if its fake they should not be in trouble for reporting it. I am not sure how they would react to a farang...

I may be overly cautious, but I would give it to a Thai person to turn into the bank, if its real they will let you know, if its fake they should not be in trouble for reporting it. I am not sure how they would react to a farang...

If you had cared to read the whole post, it has been established that the "fake" note is infact a real note of an older series