Taxi

bubbles

Morning all,

A friend of mine just paid 700 bht for a taxi ride from the airport to Sukhumvit. That was from the airport booth outside.

Please tell me that ain't right and the standard change of 200 bht plus highway tolls is still in effect, can't see a hit of 250% being right somehow?

The Thai economy ain't that strong surely?

Cheers

bubble

Last time I was there; its 180 bht plus tolls. So looking at 250 bht if I remember my tolls right.

Remember when we got a taxi at 5am once and we were at the airport by 5:15am just before our flight closed. Said to the driver when we got in, I'll pay you 500 bht if he would do it, never seen driving like it :o. Meter was running too it read 180 bht at the end, but I still paid him the 500.

700 baht, that's a major ripp off, Going rate to Sukhumvit depends on where you have to go, Going to Thong Lor (and not using express way) set my back 160 baht. Going back via Nana Tai (Had to pick someone up) cost me 200 baht (exluding toll). Of course there's the 50 baht aiport surcharge when taking a cab from the airport.

A little trick that saves the 50B fee and provides a much nicer taxi than those old pieces of junk usually seen in the Arrivals area is to go one floor up to the Departures area and pick up one the taxis that just got there.

Morning all,

A friend of mine just paid 700 bht for a taxi ride from the airport to Sukhumvit. That was from the airport booth outside.

Please tell me that ain't right and the standard change of 200 bht plus highway tolls is still in effect, can't see a hit of 250% being right somehow?

The Thai economy ain't that strong surely?

Cheers

bubble

If your friend arrived at the airport before 1220 A.M. he could have taken the AIRPORT BUS for 100 baht. The AIRPORT BUS goes right down Sukhumvit, I take it all the time. Late at night the ride is not much longer than a taxi ride - because there is no "rush hour traffic!" The bus kiosk is pretty close to the taxi kiosk! Late, late at night there is no real reason to even pay for the toll road into town - no "rush hour traffic" take the regular road!

Your buddy got ripped off!

A little trick that saves the 50B fee and provides a much nicer taxi than those old pieces of junk usually seen in the Arrivals area is to go one floor up to the Departures area and pick up one the taxis that just got there.
Or better, if you're coming in on your own and without a lot of luggage just take the Airport Bus for 100 baht. The A3 goes right down Sukhumvit. The airport buses are fairly new, air conditioned, and generally not full -- sometimes nearly empty. Oh, and they run only to about midnight, so if you have one of those late night arrivals, which in general you should also try to avoid, you're also out of luck.

If he contracted for a Limo then 700 baht would probably be about right. But the meter taxi queues outside each terminal do not have a fixed charge. You pay the meter change + highway tolls + 50 baht airport surcharge. The total would be about 300 baht or so to Sukhumvite.

Going upstairs to get a taxi involves illegal pick up by the taxi, blocking incoming cars and bypassing all security checks.