M New Phone

chiang mai

I just bought a new mobile and I’m so pleased with all aspects of it that I thought I might share:

It’s a Nokia X2, it lets its owner make and receive telephone calls and SMS’s and as a bonus it also has a built in camera! I don’t know if it will let me surf the internet, go into Facebook or post on Thai Visa but since my desktop PC at home does all those things, who cares if it does or doesn’t. Unbelievably in this day and age this phone doesn’t receive emails, well perhaps it does, truth is I don’t know and don’t care since I can’t imagine anything being that important any more, anyway, I don’t know any deaf mutes who can’t call me.

The phone is really light and quite small, it fits neatly into any of my pockets, the best part is the cost, at THB 1,900 baht I won’t be upset if I lose it and I reckon I’ve lowered my risk profile by buying it, who’s going to mug me for an X2 I wonder. Finally, the phone is sexy, it’s very attractive physically thus we make a good pair :) but unlike mine the phone’s battery last a long time.

It’s not that I’m averse to new technology but I reckon as consumers we’re all getting ahead of ourselves, we’re buying whatever the market presents to us without asking whether we really need these things. A chum of mine carries a Blackberry, a Kindle, and a Galaxy plus a pocket Nikon camera, he walks around looking a little like Fylingdales and has to stop and think about which one to use where and how, you’re fubar I tell him, you should get an X2 and throw the rest of that stuff away, I can highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Whilist I don't totally disagree with you if that all you do on your mobile I still think your a Luddite.

I spent twenty years of my career launching new mobile companies around Europe and later in Asia, cutting edge technology was always the name of the game be it hardware technology, handsets, network kit or BSS/OSS systems. In the course of all that I've met a bunch of senior guys in the t'çomms industry and to a man, every one has said the same thing, the industry is producing solutions looking for problems to solve and mostly they're just not there, even the race to implement 3G (and now 4G) is real tough to justify. Luddite, naw, I just stopped to think about it for a change.

• Like 1