Yingluck Satisfied With Flood Response Plan

webfact

It's the tropics, it rains.

It's Thailand.

She floods.

Live with it.

No need to live with it if the money is well spent and jobs are done by qualified people instead of "friends". Lots of things can be improved but there is just too much money stolen from it. This is not an exclusive red thing.

To be fair there may have to be a lot more remedial work done on the drainage system, it's a work in progress. It would be interesting to hear from residents in the affected areas how they felt the situation was handled compared to previous years.

It's far far too easy and predictable to criticize Yingluck on this issue, the lack of investment over decades is the primary cause of the excessively damaging floods, along with poor planning laws, deforestation etc.

All you can look for is a year on year improvement.

Sir all due respect that is BS

The flood in Sukhothai was totally avoidable. After the floods of last year receded, every inch of flood walls should have been inspected, and repaired. I do believe a portion of that 120 billion baht went to Sukhothai, and they had 9 months to do remedial work. If these <deleted>##ers weren't so busy figuring the best way to steal the maximum of the allotted flood prevention money, this damaged flood wall would have been identified and repaired.

How do you know it was totally avoidable? I'm a qualified engineer and I've learned that you can inspect things to your hearts content but still not guarantee failure under stress. I also know that water is the one element that will find the weakness, and as soon as you correct one weakness water will attack the next one.

Go talk to any civil engineer anywhere in the World and tell him that you expected that the Thai flood problem should be solved in one year and he will laugh in your face. From a standing start this is a nightmare project beyond the comprehension in scale of the keyboard warriors on this forum, and it will take years of work to correct decades of under investment and poor planning decisions , deforestation etc.

Really, it's quite unbelievable some of the comments you read on this forum, some of you guys should avoid jumping on bandwagons and actually put some thought into what you are saying.

Now then, what was that your were saying about BS? coffee1.gif

Blether,

They said cracks were seen in the wall before so its safe to say that something should have been done. Just read the topic where it said sukothai officials caught napping.

So negligence on the part of the government. I think you also agree that much of the money allocated is stolen or jobs are given to friends and not competent engineers. That is the way of the government here. (red or democrat but in this case the reds) I hate corruption and in this case it ruins many lives.

When was the damage noticed? How deep were the cracks? What would it have taken to repair it? Would it have required a full rebuild? Would it have been better to leave it and see if it survived the oncoming rainy season and fix it next year? Blah blah blah blah blah.

It's called Project Management, I've stood and looked at structures and machinery in the past and known that they were stressed, but also know that it was better to let them ride than try to fix them immediately. The size of the task is gigantic, we don't know if a decision was made to strengthen somewhere else up river in preference to this weakness, we just don't know.

It's only second guessing on the part of everyone here.

However on your second point, no argument from me. wai.gif

Edited by theblether

To be fair there may have to be a lot more remedial work done on the drainage system, it's a work in progress. It would be interesting to hear from residents in the affected areas how they felt the situation was handled compared to previous years.

It's far far too easy and predictable to criticize Yingluck on this issue, the lack of investment over decades is the primary cause of the excessively damaging floods, along with poor planning laws, deforestation etc.

The flood in Sukhothai was totally avoidable. After the floods of last year receded, every inch of flood walls should have been inspected, and repaired. I do believe a portion of that 120 billion baht went to Sukhothai, and they had 9 months to do remedial work. If these <deleted>##ers weren't so busy figuring the best way to steal the maximum of the allotted flood prevention money, this damaged flood wall would have been identified and repaired.

How do you know it was totally avoidable? I'm a qualified engineer and I've learned that you can inspect things to your hearts content but still not guarantee failure under stress. I also know that water is the one element that will find the weakness, and as soon as you correct one weakness water will attack the next one.

Go talk to any civil engineer anywhere in the World and tell him that you expected that the Thai flood problem should be solved in one year and he will laugh in your face. From a standing start this is a nightmare project beyond the comprehension in scale of the keyboard warriors on this forum, and it will take years of work to correct decades of under investment and poor planning decisions , deforestation etc.

Really, it's quite unbelievable some of the comments you read on this forum, some of you guys should avoid jumping on bandwagons and actually put some thought into what you are saying.

Blether

Your name suits you well.

How do you know it wasnt totally avoidable?

According to the Sukhothai official the wall was built was built in 2001 and has never been inspected. Whatever you are a qualified engineer in and you can talk to any civil engineer in the world. You do at least have to look at something to determine if there is damage to something. In working my 30 years in construction working with structural and civil engineers, never has there been one occasion, where these engineers could not come up with a fix to a deficient problem, if that problem had been identified. Usually that comes with a inspection process.

Nobody said anything about building or repairing the entire flood control system in Thailand in one year.

Yes it is unbelievable from some of the comments you read in this forum.

Now thats the BS I was talking about.

Edited by dcutman

Blether

Your name suits you well.

According to the Sukhothai official the wall was built was built in 2001 and has never been inspected. Whatever you are a qualified engineer in and you can talk to any civil engineer in the world. You do at least have to look at something to determine if there is damage to something.

Nobody said anything about building or repairing the entire flood control system in Thailand in one year.

Yes it is unbelievable from some of the comments you read in this forum, especially from so called qualified engineers.

Now thats the BS I was talking about.

Tut tut behave yourself coffee1.gif

You're only proving my point........years of neglect ( actually in other posts and topics I've mentioned decades of neglect ) coming home to roost. Wall built in 2001 and never inspected? Isn't that disgraceful.......now we can blame Yingluck for the 10 years of neglect before she came to power too huh?

It's obvious to everybody that the flood defences have been badly planned and maintained for years. My point is......get ready it may shock you!!!......it will take more than one year to fix it!!.

I hope you were sitting down when you read that< i wouldn't want you collapsing in shock and hurting yourself. coffee1.gif

ps the name is theblether, not merely Blether. dry.png

It's Thailand.

She floods.

Live with it.

if only they would admit where it is SAFE to live with it.

Your choice.

Up to you.

Well either they know, or they are utterly useless.

Because from a personal level i am fine, but for an uncle, two neohews and one neice of my missus, they lost 3 months of work in their business and 2 cars plus home damage.

They are from isaan thriugh and through and have nothing remotely in common with tge repugnantly called hi so of bangkok.

They and i would like to know if actually one baht if the tax money we paid last year has been used to achieve somethjng or has it all been used for naught?

Anyone can joke about it, but this flood season will actually have mpre bearing on the next ten years in thailand than any court case or immigration crap.

It's Thailand.

She floods.

Live with it.

if only they would admit where it is SAFE to live with it.

Your choice.

Up to you.

Well either they know, or they are utterly useless.

Because from a personal level i am fine, but for an uncle, two neohews and one neice of my missus, they lost 3 months of work in their business and 2 cars plus home damage.

They are from isaan thriugh and through and have nothing remotely in common with tge repugnantly called hi so of bangkok.

They and i would like to know if actually one baht if the tax money we paid last year has been used to achieve somethjng or has it all been used for naught?

Anyone can joke about it, but this flood season will actually have mpre bearing on the next ten years in thailand than any court case or immigration crap.

I totally get what you are saying Thai at Heart, wai.gif

It's impossible to solve the flooding problems in one year, but people will wait as long as they see progress. I hope this year is kinder to your family than last, and it will be interesting to read people's reports on their experiences once the rainy season has finished.

I get the impression ( I'll get flamed for this though, I just know it ), that if Sukhothai is not flooded again this year the local population will consider the policies of the government to have been a resounding success.

Let's see what happens.

It's Thailand.

She floods.

Live with it.

No need to live with it if the money is well spent and jobs are done by qualified people instead of "friends". Lots of things can be improved but there is just too much money stolen from it. This is not an exclusive red thing.

Why did you choose to live in a house in a hole......let me tell you, Issan farmers I know have raised their homes a good metre above the average water level.....in the rainy season.....smart eh? They won't cost the government in flood payments, I guess they deserve their rice subsidy after all.

The flood in Sukhothai was totally avoidable. After the floods of last year receded, every inch of flood walls should have been inspected, and repaired. I do believe a portion of that 120 billion baht went to Sukhothai, and they had 9 months to do remedial work. If these &lt;deleted&gt;##ers weren't so busy figuring the best way to steal the maximum of the allotted flood prevention money, this damaged flood wall would have been identified and repaired.

Sorry i could not post this reply on your last post as a error occurred

Your tone has change from rude and condescending, to very defensive.

I never said one word or even implied anything about Yingluck. The F@#kers I was talking about are the Sukhothai officials, that I assume were given a portion of this 120 billion to do remedial work on their flood defenses.

Not much shock here, as I already stated nobody expected the flood prevention program to be completed in one year. What was expected was to have a competent person inspect for damage or deficient flood barriers. Clean, dredge, fortifie or repair within that year. I dont see how that was unachievable.

Sit down this might come to a shock to you, but there are thousands of qualified contractors in Thailand to do this work.

Edited by dcutman

The flood in Sukhothai was totally avoidable. After the floods of last year receded, every inch of flood walls should have been inspected, and repaired. I do believe a portion of that 120 billion baht went to Sukhothai, and they had 9 months to do remedial work. If these &lt;deleted&gt;##ers weren't so busy figuring the best way to steal the maximum of the allotted flood prevention money, this damaged flood wall would have been identified and repaired.

Sorry i could not post this reply on your last post as a error occurred

Your tone has change from rude and condescending, to very defensive.

I never said one word or even implied anything about Yingluck. The F@#kers I was talking about are the Sukhothai officials, that I assume were given a portion of this 120 billion to do remedial work on their flood defenses.

Not much shock here, as I already stated nobody expected the flood prevention program to be completed in one year. What was expected was to have a competent person inspect for damage or deficient flood barriers. Clean, dredge, fortifie or repair within that year. I dont see how that was unachievable.

Sit down this might come to a shock to you, but there are thousands of qualified contractors in Thailand to do this work.

edit.

You know what, I can't be bothered. beatdeadhorse.gif

Edited by theblether

It's Thailand.

She floods.

Live with it.

Why did you choose to live in a house in a hole......let me tell you, Issan farmers I know have raised their homes a good metre above the average water level.....in the rainy season.....smart eh? They won't cost the government in flood payments, I guess they deserve their rice subsidy after all.

I can't raise my home and i am not living in a hole. The village that i live outside of BKK was never flooded in 40 years. We are the highest part of the area, other parts have flooded. So I did my research. I am not in BKK where i live its higher as BKK.

Anyway i just want the government to do what they are chosen to do and that is work for the people and get this fixed without too much corruption and cronyism. I am still convinced if they put as much effort in the flood as in mr T his case a lot more would have been done. Corruption on flood defenses is probably the worst thing someone can do.

So, WHO are the best people to make statements about flooding, the work required to deal with it, and timescales?

Yingluck ( or rather her script writers) did, so she has to bear the brunt of the reality.

Now, if the Govenment and their leader would just admit that they dont know and that they needed the advice of the experts, this topic wouldn't be getting more and more angry.

A 'flood prevention' has become a 'flood response'. Cheers Yingluck. What's next on the promise list?

But then as we all know, Thai culture is never saying 'I don't know', so we'll have more of the same ad-infinitum.

Edited by Noistar
  • Like 1