Women Warned Against Opting For Dangerous Procedures: Dermatological Society Of Thailand

webfact

Women warned against opting for dangerous procedures

Suriyan Panyawai

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Dermatological Society of Thailand issued a warning on Tuesday about the use of sub-standard chemicals to plump up flesh, saying that this could lead to death in some cases. Besides, more and more people in the past two years have been seeking treatment for complications stemming from these flesh-plumping injections.

Krisada Duang-urai, the society's president, said that of these cases, about 20 were related to nose flesh rotting, while some 10 cases were related to blindness.

He also urged people to first find out about the credibility of the service provider, the products used and the doctor in charge before opting for the procedure. He warned that even if the tools and chemicals used meet Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards, if the person providing the injection is not an expert, then the procedure could bring on complications leading to death. He added that complications could be as simple as bruising, swelling, rashes and lumps, or in bad cases start rotting skin or cartilage, cause blindness or even death.

Dr Jinda Rojanamethin, acting director of Dermatological Institute, explained there are three types of fillers: temporary ones that dissolve in four to six months and hence are safe but expensive; the semi-permanent fillers that last for two years; and permanent fillers, like paraffin or silicone, that do not dissolve and could have long-term impacts.

In Thailand, only temporary derma fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, Revenese and Esthelis are allowed.

Thanom Bannaprasert, from Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Medicine plastic surgery, warned that the procedure of lifting the nose bridge using a derma filler, which has become very popular because it is less invasive and needs no resting period, is actually dangerous and can pose the risk of blindness. This is because the nose has many blood vessels linking to the retinal artery system and brain, so if the chemical leaks it could lead to blindness, he added.

Thanom went on to say that many people opted for polyacrylamide injections to enhance their breasts or hips because large amounts of this substance can be injected into the body. Also the product was falsely advertised as a chemical that had lasting effects as a filler because it dissolved slowly. However, Thanom explained that polyacrylamide is a polymer and isn't meant to be injected into the body because it does not dissolve and hence could cause serious damages like causing blockages to the lungs and brain, leading to suffocation, loss of consciousness and death.

Meanwhile, three more women filed a complaint with Metropolitan Police chief Khamronwit Thoopkrajang saying that they had bought glutathione-injection service from Thanat Natchaweerakul and were now worried about their health. Thanat was allegedly responsible for putting a model-cum-presenter into coma after giving her an injection to fill out her hips. The three complainants were provided with free health check-ups and police are looking for the 15 other women who bought similar services from Thanat to provide them with free health checks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-27

Plastic-surgery clinic crackdown

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Public Health Minister Surawit Khonsomboon has told provincial health offices to inspect aesthetics clinics to unearth illegal ones.

He also urged women to study the information carefully and beware of "illegal cosmetic surgeons". He said it might be better to get the procedures done at a public hospital in order to reduce risks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-27

When my son was born 2 1/2 months ago he had his mothers nose (not much of one). Thais and some educated Thais told my girlfriend to massage his nose every night to give him more of a bridge! Anyone else heard that one?

It is an old wive's tale but I had always understood you pinch the nose and not massage it.

Edit: This belief is not just localized to Thailand. It also has some factual qualities but the amount of continued pinching / massaging would have to be a lot and no guarantee you won't cause more damage. I also remembered a story from earlier in the year and found the link about this being done to Beyonce's baby ... http://www.evilbeetgossip.com/2012/05/02/beyonce-and-co-shaping-baby-blue-ivys-nose/

Edited by Nisa

who is responsible ? the cosmetical industry that tries to sell their crappy whitening products or the dumb people buying them at overinflated prices ?

white, yellow, black, blue, green, if you believe scientists, we are all BLACK

:)

What probably is needed is a "Self Esteem Transplant".

Here, we have women with beautiful natural features, whose low self esteem allows them to be coerced by cosmetic industry advertising into believing they are ugly and in need of change. So, they undergo unhealthy procedures to change themselves into what someone else tells them is beautiful. The result is a population of women with disproportionate sized breast and hips, and a face that makes them look like they are in an Adam's Family movie.

A message to the women of Thailand...If it ain't broken, don't fix it!!!

• Like 2

That this is an issue does not surprise me when I consider the amount of ignorance spread among Thais in the public sector as well as the marketing and services sector. This would include providers who offer the services and products, as well as the consumers. As a caveat, I limit this to those who have no education beyond what Thailand has to offer, hence no self-awareness and conscientiousness towards others, which developed nation's cultures are imbued with. Here, it is face and face only; forget self-awareness and conscientiousness towards others.

The point of this rant is to describe that I am absolutely convinced that 99% of any Thai who seeks a service or product has absolutely no idea of what they are getting into with regards to the quality and reliability of the product or service. There is no research into the product, procedures, terminology; and certainly no consideration of anything beyond the glory and joy they are enchanted with and that captivates their minds while thinking on that thing. Imagine the thrill of parading their new nose whilst driving their new D-Max crew cab (all purchased on credit or borrowed) before returning to the anonymity and doldrums of their filthy heap to await another day

They consume greedily because of their compulsive emotions outwardly and convincingly dominate that one singular synapse, and they become incapacitated until the urge is satisfied; or they do it because the herd does it; herd-mindedness. There is no other reason they do the things they do beyond these two factors as far as my research has shown. Nearly everyone seems to bring their entire family income to bear on appearance only, and almost all of them, to a man, woman and child forego any thought towards savings for a future of education, insurance or a rainy day. Count the Isuzu's in grey and black on the road. Count the similarity of shops lined up side by side on any Soi. Count the chaotic, merging stream of traffic that never relents to opposing traffic, and so on. The urge to get ahead, cut corners, appear superior, appear more beautiful, pious and so on is uppermost in these minds.

The average service and product provider is just as ignorant of what they do as is the consumer. One hour on the Internet can arm one with enough information to ask one or two legitimate questions about the product or service that will absolutely confuse or anger the seller or provider of the goods. Their knowledge of the services and products are limited to the brochure or what the herd says, or what they were taught to mimic with absolute celerity and precision; but only as long as nothing goes awry of what they were taught to mimic. If that happens, all bets are off and they short circuit, as technological problem solving skills are not part of their curriculum, and mimicking is the only means to their skills. When this happens, it is not below them to lie, veil or eliminate their guilt and ignorance with shows of innocence, shock or remorse. They will stoop grovel to any level to clear their face of any wrong-doing and expend any amount of energy, time and resource to bring about vindication from their failures and ignorance... all to the cost of the consumer who trusted their marketing, nifty showroom or office, and permanent pressed suits and costumes.

So, it comes as no surprise to me that the risk factors come at a high cost to the ignorant consumer's health, wealth and security, as practically no one has any idea what they are doing beyond the scope of mimicking each other in their respective demographics.

The consumers mimic the herd, or relent to their childish impulses. The providers mimic what they were taught or what they saw someone do successfully and proudly market the degrees they got after cheating on their exams. It's all good when you walk through the door, yeah?

It's all about face. Face has always been here, but the new introduction of credit lending is simply fanning that glowing coal into flames of possibility, whereas before grandma (as a young thing) could only spare a few moments in the day to dream of a new nose, a whiter vagina, or a D-Max crew cab and a matching suit with accessories to go to 7-11.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Here, we have women with beautiful natural features, whose low self esteem allows them to be coerced by cosmetic industry advertising into believing they are ugly and in need of change. So, they undergo unhealthy procedures to change themselves into what someone else tells them is beautiful. The result is a population of women with disproportionate sized breast and hips, and a face that makes them look like they are in an Adam's Family movie.

Same everywhere, with all people. Its a factor of TV, magazines etc. Thailand's nothing compared to South Korea.

Compared to women elsewhere, who get fake tans to look like an oompa loompa, same surgery, same creams. Didn't you see that post (in another thread) of number of people per population that get plastic surgery? Thailand was far down the list, lower than America, Australia, other asian nations. Quite interesting. I think we should stop preaching to the Thai's andif you want to preach start with the other countries we come from first.

20120428_WOC079.pngng

• Like 2

That this is an issue does not surprise me when I consider the amount of ignorance spread among Thais in the public sector as well as the marketing and services sector. This would include providers who offer the services and products, as well as the consumers. As a caveat, I limit this to those who have no education beyond what Thailand has to offer, hence no self-awareness and conscientiousness towards others, which developed nation's cultures are imbued with. Here, it is face and face only; forget self-awareness and conscientiousness towards others.

The point of this rant is to describe that I am absolutely convinced that 99% of any Thai who seeks a service or product has absolutely no idea of what they are getting into with regards to the quality and reliability of the product or service. There is no research into the product, procedures, terminology; and certainly no consideration of anything beyond the glory and joy they are enchanted with and that captivates their minds while thinking on that thing. Imagine the thrill of parading their new nose whilst driving their new D-Max crew cab (all purchased on credit or borrowed) before returning to the anonymity and doldrums of their filthy heap to await another day

They consume greedily because of their compulsive emotions outwardly and convincingly dominate that one singular synapse, and they become incapacitated until the urge is satisfied; or they do it because the herd does it; herd-mindedness. There is no other reason they do the things they do beyond these two factors as far as my research has shown. Nearly everyone seems to bring their entire family income to bear on appearance only, and almost all of them, to a man, woman and child forego any thought towards savings for a future of education, insurance or a rainy day. Count the Isuzu's in grey and black on the road. Count the similarity of shops lined up side by side on any Soi. Count the chaotic, merging stream of traffic that never relents to opposing traffic, and so on. The urge to get ahead, cut corners, appear superior, appear more beautiful, pious and so on is uppermost in these minds.

The average service and product provider is just as ignorant of what they do as is the consumer. One hour on the Internet can arm one with enough information to ask one or two legitimate questions about the product or service that will absolutely confuse or anger the seller or provider of the goods. Their knowledge of the services and products are limited to the brochure or what the herd says, or what they were taught to mimic with absolute celerity and precision; but only as long as nothing goes awry of what they were taught to mimic. If that happens, all bets are off and they short circuit, as technological problem solving skills are not part of their curriculum, and mimicking is the only means to their skills. When this happens, it is not below them to lie, veil or eliminate their guilt and ignorance with shows of innocence, shock or remorse. They will stoop grovel to any level to clear their face of any wrong-doing and expend any amount of energy, time and resource to bring about vindication from their failures and ignorance... all to the cost of the consumer who trusted their marketing, nifty showroom or office, and permanent pressed suits and costumes.

So, it comes as no surprise to me that the risk factors come at a high cost to the ignorant consumer's health, wealth and security, as practically no one has any idea what they are doing beyond the scope of mimicking each other in their respective demographics.

The consumers mimic the herd, or relent to their childish impulses. The providers mimic what they were taught or what they saw someone do successfully and proudly market the degrees they got after cheating on their exams. It's all good when you walk through the door, yeah?

It's all about face. Face has always been here, but the new introduction of credit lending is simply fanning that glowing coal into flames of possibility, whereas before grandma (as a young thing) could only spare a few moments in the day to dream of a new nose, a whiter vagina, or a D-Max crew cab and a matching suit with accessories to go to 7-11.

You have a few good points about Thai's probably not researching things before hand, yet there will be a percentage that do. However, I think most of the other stuff is a bit over the top. We all succumb to impulsive consumerism and 'keeping up with the joneses' (that phrase wasn't coined from Thais). Just look at the state of the CC debt (and household debt) in every country, it's massive. Unfortunately consumerism is what makes the world economy go round. Thai's aren't unique to this, its a systemic problem in society as a whole.

But without the fault of the Thai's, that's why we have medical registered boards for ensuring proper treatment, but even that can not stop problems and complications. Just have a read on the net and see how many (as an example) breast enlargements in the WEST are stuffed up, have problems etc etc.

Crappy medical services. cosmetic or otherwise and crappy practitioners aren't just limited to Thailand. It's a problem worldwide by those unscrupulous people trying to save some money at the risk of the patients they are offering the service too (or just outright laziness and lack of care).

If you honestly believe outside Thailand non of this happens...you really need to open your eyes at how convincing marketing in the west is and how subtle and subconscious it can be.

My missus had her nose done before I met her. I wonder which type she had? She said it was a big hospital in BKK and was expensive.

I've seen pics of her before and she looked different. Not worse, just different. I told her she was beautiful before and still is. No more cosmetic surgery. She probably figures, "No need now, got myself a farang".

The stats for Brasil are surprising. The women there are beautiful and they're crazy for enhancements as well. Go figure.

Same everywhere, with all people. Its a factor of TV, magazines etc. Thailand's nothing compared to South Korea.

Compared to women elsewhere, who get fake tans to look like an oompa loompa, same surgery, same creams. Didn't you see that post (in another thread) of number of people per population that get plastic surgery? Thailand was far down the list, lower than America, Australia, other asian nations. Quite interesting. I think we should stop preaching to the Thai's andif you want to preach start with the other countries we come from first.

20120428_WOC079.png

Better to start when the trend is in its infancy and not yet ingrained in the mindset as is the case in the countries high on the list. However, as mentioned before, it's all about face. Perhaps is has nothing to do with changing ones looks as it does with being able to say: "See, I can afford all this surgery and these procedures and you can't".

Better to start when the trend is in its infancy and not yet ingrained in the mindset as is the case in the countries high on the list. However, as mentioned before, it's all about face. Perhaps is has nothing to do with changing ones looks as it does with being able to say: "See, I can afford all this surgery and these procedures and you can't".

Maybe...yet if an 'educated' western countries are doing this (and they can do research etc) then the only thing probably stopping more Thais do it (like the Koreans) is money.

The again...it's also an inividuals life and what they choose to do with it, should be entirely up to them. If one person thinks it's wrong, that's their choice and opinion where as another could feel the complete opposite.

For me personally, as long as they are informed and aware of risks, complications etc, then I would support them. Again it's their choice. However, not being able to access the information, being mislead and all those things is a big danger and that is wrong. I have no problems with people 'enhancing' their looks etc IF they are aware, informed and make a proper non rash decision. Not everyone was born with natural beauty and its a bit ahh elitist (from those with to those without) to say that people should not strive to be better (in their eyes), whether that is muscle tone, body fat, boobs etc.

The difference with being a male is that everything for us can be obtained other ways...want to not be fat, exercise your arse off, want muscle, start working out. There are always other options, even if it's really frikin hard. Plus we have the benefit of looks aren't the most important quality (in a sense). For women its the opposite, looks are important at a primal level...and hence why everyone WANTS to look perfect, beautiful etc.

Society just moves with what we are designed to promote...men intelligence, success, strong and muscular, support....women, looks, good carer, looks (that's the way it is).

But the same old adage always applies...moderation. Just like men go overboard using steroids, some women will just keep doing too much.

Who doesn't want to be perfect... :)

Anyone know of the FDA link referring to the cosmetic or medical products that are legal in Thailand? My girlfriends friend went to a place near Silom and they had a Korean botox. Just wondering how close they regulate stuff like that here.

Thanks

Why would the FDA have anything to do with Thailand. It's a US medical board.

I would be sticking to the major hospitals and do research on the net before hand. It might cost more, but its injecting poison into your face, the money is worth reducing the risk of complications. Remember in Thialand, just because the company may be registered, doesn't mean a particular person working there has had proper training.

Much less likely to come across this at an international hospital. You get what you pay for...anywhere.

You have a few good points about Thai's probably not researching things before hand, yet there will be a percentage that do. However, I think most of the other stuff is a bit over the top. We all succumb to impulsive consumerism and 'keeping up with the joneses' (that phrase wasn't coined from Thais). Just look at the state of the CC debt (and household debt) in every country, it's massive. Unfortunately consumerism is what makes the world economy go round. Thai's aren't unique to this, its a systemic problem in society as a whole.

But without the fault of the Thai's, that's why we have medical registered boards for ensuring proper treatment, but even that can not stop problems and complications. Just have a read on the net and see how many (as an example) breast enlargements in the WEST are stuffed up, have problems etc etc.

Crappy medical services. cosmetic or otherwise and crappy practitioners aren't just limited to Thailand. It's a problem worldwide by those unscrupulous people trying to save some money at the risk of the patients they are offering the service too (or just outright laziness and lack of care).

If you honestly believe outside Thailand non of this happens...you really need to open your eyes at how convincing marketing in the west is and how subtle and subconscious it can be.

You have a right to your views.

"Thanom Bannaprasert, from Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Medicine plastic surgery, warned that the procedure of lifting the nose bridge using a derma filler, which has become very popular because it is less invasive and needs no resting period, is actually dangerous and can pose the risk of blindness. This is because the nose has many blood vessels linking to the retinal artery system and brain, so if the chemical leaks it could lead to blindness, he added."

This area is indeed particularly dangerous as these vessels also communicate with the cavernous sinus in the brain where infections are very difficult to successfully treat and frequently fatal.

Don't blame vanity, blame those who unscrupulously take advantage of human weakness and misplaced trust.

If it comes with a Homepro receipt in the bag, it probably isn't kosha product.

Honestly, how on earth is the consumer supposed to know that all of the products are what they are for? Of course, if it is some katoey with a horse needle administering it in a hotel it isn't going to be a risk free exercise, but they can't even get pharmacists to do their jobs properly in this country, what hope do you have in some glossy looking clinic to know that Somchai wasn't fixing cars the week before.

The only way is to allow massive criminal punishment for unlicensed practitioners, but of course, this will only happen after they maim some unsuspecting customer, and for the authorities to get off their ass and start closing clinics where people aren't trained and licensed......(Oh sorry, I forgot where I was). Then of course, it makes no measurement of how many horrendous licensed practitioners there are out there. My old man was a dentist, and he knew exactly who the good guys and the bad guys were, even down to recognising the way they did there work. Of course people will always fake their certificates, but it is down to the medical councils and the governing bodies to check who the hell is practising.

It shouldn't have to rely on the customers to work out if the doctor is licensed properly, I mean half of the parliament has fake degrees anyway.

Anyone know of the FDA link referring to the cosmetic or medical products that are legal in Thailand? My girlfriends friend went to a place near Silom and they had a Korean botox. Just wondering how close they regulate stuff like that here.

Thanks

I would be sticking to the major hospitals and do research on the net before hand. It might cost more, but its injecting poison into your face, the money is worth reducing the risk of complications. Remember in Thialand, just because the company may be registered, doesn't mean a particular person working there has had proper training.

Much less likely to come across this at an international hospital. You get what you pay for...anywhere.

Oh, indeed Brumrungrad. Read the horror stories about that place. You do realise that every doctor they have has his own practise outside for 1/2 the price? Have a friend who works there, it is a pure money gouging exercise.

Your best bet, is to befriend a smart well educated Thai, and ask them who they go to. Found my wife's gynachologist that way, the bloke was trained at U.Penn 30 years ago and is on the reproductive research committees for the UN. Working out of a very basic clinic in town, whilst all the newbies in their plush brand new clinics with 6 months experience.

Thanks

Oh, indeed Brumrungrad. Read the horror stories about that place. You do realise that every doctor they have has his own practise outside for 1/2 the price? Have a friend who works there, it is a pure money gouging exercise.

Your best bet, is to befriend a smart well educated Thai, and ask them who they go to. Found my wife's gynachologist that way, the bloke was trained at U.Penn 30 years ago and is on the reproductive research committees for the UN. Working out of a very basic clinic in town, whilst all the newbies in their plush brand new clinics with 6 months experience.

Bad stories everywhere...not matter what hospital you go to.....hence why you need to do research for a specific doctor. The hospital equates to cost of paying for the facilities provided like any private hospital world wide. Of course it always depends on who the doctor is anywhere. Thank god we have the internet hey. :) There are a few very good surgeons at Brumrungrad (but agree I have read some bad ones also).

The sad truth is everyone needs experience, but understandably people don't want to let the newer doctors/surgeons treat them. So how do they get that experience. A problem I don't think there is an answer for.

20120428_WOC079.pngng

I doubt this accounts for 100% of operations performed... esp. from Thailand....

20120428_WOC079.pngng

I doubt this accounts for 100% of operations performed... esp. from Thailand....

It is skewed because it does any list factors for why these surgeries were performed. It is also skewed because of all the countries listed, I believe Thailand is the only one listed on the list of undeveloped countries (There may be 1 or 2 others). This is significant as one wonders how Thailand even manages to appear on a list populated largely by developed countries, whose populations have much lower poverty levels by population. I submit that the numbers for Thailand come from the 4% of those who have the out of pocket money, of which "working girls" and HiSo's make up that large percentage.

Hence, one can conclude that were more Thais to have more money, the figure for Thailand would skyrocket.

Thanks

The Thai FDA. I guess I should have been more specific.

20120428_WOC079.pngng

It is skewed because it does any list factors for why these surgeries were performed. It is also skewed because of all the countries listed, I believe Thailand is the only one listed on the list of undeveloped countries (There may be 1 or 2 others). This is significant as one wonders how Thailand even manages to appear on a list populated largely by developed countries, whose populations have much lower poverty levels by population. I submit that the numbers for Thailand come from the 4% of those who have the out of pocket money, of which "working girls" and HiSo's make up that large percentage.

Hence, one can conclude that were more Thais to have more money, the figure for Thailand would skyrocket.

Rates of plastic surgery for the largest providers of cosmetic care in East and Southeast Asia

pp10k.gif

as well as for a few other major players in the world:

COUNTRY ...... PP10K

South Korea ... ..74

Brazil .................55

Taiwan................44

United States......42

Japan.................32

Thailand.............11

China...................9

China...................6

PP10K = procedures per 10,000 people of all ages per year